Natural menopause is the permanent ending of menstruation that is not brought on by any type of medical treatment. For women undergoing natural menopause, the process is described in three stages: perimenopause, menopause, and postmenopause. However, not all women undergo natural menopause. Some women experience induced menopause as a result of surgery or medical treatments, such as chemotherapy and pelvic radiation therapy. Read more: Pain Management: Musculoskeletal Pain Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Back Pain Quiz: Test Your Back Pain IQ
There are numerous causes of chronic lower back pain and only one ailment gets more complaints. What is it? Quiz your knowledge...
Pain Quiz: Test Your IQ of Pain
Is pain all in the brain? Take the Pain Quiz to learn everything you've ever wanted to know about the unpleasant sensation we...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Pictures: Anatomy, Where It Hurts, and More
Could the pain in your hand be carpal tunnel syndrome? Watch this slideshow to learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment...
Pain Management: 15 Easy Ways to Reduce Chronic Pain
Chronic pain can be a symptom of many conditions, including arthritis, headaches, and others. Comprehensive pain management...
Chronic Pain Syndrome: Treatment and Management for CPS
What is chronic pain syndrome (CPS)? See causes, symptoms and treatment options including medications. Learn about pain...
Pain-Relief Tips for Bumps, Bruises, Sprains, and Strains in Pictures
View this First Aid slideshow on Care and Pain Relief. See how to get pain relief if you've bumped your head, sprained your...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Tips for Healthy Joints: Exercise, Nutrition, & More in Pictures
Dealing with joint pain and arthritis? Learn why weight matters--and why NOT to stretch before exercise. See these solutions for...
Fun With Kids and More Ways to Live With OA in Pictures
You can still have lots of fun with children despite arthritis. Our experts uncover ways to spend time with your kids or...
Exercises for Osteoarthritis -- Yoga, Swimming, & More
Check out this slideshow on Active Living From Day to Night with Osteoarthritis. Even with arthritis you can keep your active...
Related Disease Conditions
Muscle spasms are involuntary muscle contractions that come on suddenly and are usually quite painful. Dehydration, doing...
Muscle cramps are involuntarily and forcibly contracted muscles that do not relax. Extremely common, any muscles that have...
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
Medical Marijuana (Medical Cannabis)
Medical marijuana (medical cannabis) is a medicine that is plant based. There are two species of medical marijuana; 1) Cannabis...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a disorder of the muscles and joints that causes pain and stiffness in the arms, neck, shoulders,...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Polymyositis is a disease of the muscle featuring inflammation of the muscle fibers. It results in weakness of the muscles which...
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Local ResourcesFind a local Rheumatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- gabapentin (Neurontin)
- Cymbalta (duloxetine) vs. Effexor (XR, venlafaxine) Differences in Uses, Dose, and Withdrawal
- clonazepam (Klonopin)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- Baclofen vs. Flexeril (Side Effects and Interactions)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- Pain Medications (Narcotics)
- codeine (for Pain)
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Aleve (naproxen) vs. Celebrex (celecoxib)
- Oxycodone vs. Codeine
- Celexa vs. Cymbalta (Comparison of Differences and Similarities)
- Dilaudid vs. Percocet for Pain
- Tramadol (Ultram) Side Effects
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone
- Ibuprofen and Plavix (Side Effects and Interactions)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- Dilaudid vs. Oxycodone
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- carisoprodol (Soma)
- Lyrica (pregabalin) vs. Klonopin (clonazepam)
- Klonopin (clonazepam) vs. Xanax (alprazolam)
- desipramine, Norpramin
- fenoprofen, Nalfon
- Lyrica (pregabalin) vs. Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen)
- Benzodiazepines vs. Narcotics (Opioids)
- Lyrica vs. Hydrocodone
- choline magnesium salicylate, Trilisate
Prevention & Wellness
- Opioid Rxs Decreasing, But Not for All Doctors
- AHA News: Opioid Crisis Brings Concerns About Heart Dangers
- AHA News: Opioid Meds Pose Danger to Kidney Disease Patients
- He Ate a 'Pot Lollipop' -- and a Heart Attack Soon Followed
- Opioids Overprescribed for Common Children's Fracture, Study Says
- Upbeat Attitude May Be a Pain Fighter
- Little Evidence Pain Creams Work
- 'Mindfulness' Might Help Some Conquer Chronic Pain
- Why Sleepless Nights Can Mean More Painful Days
- Many Parents Conflicted About Opioids for Their Teens' Pain
- Expert Panel Says Two Back Pain Procedures May Be Useless
- 4 Exercises for a Better Back
- Purdue Pharma Owners Lied About Dangers of OxyContin: Court Filing
- Opioids May Help Chronic Pain, But Not Much
- Physical Therapy Can Help You Avoid Opioids When Joint Pain Strikes
- Health Tip: Manage Pain With Opioids
- Kratom Products Have High Levels of Heavy Metals: FDA
- Nerve Zap Might Ease Pain of Herniated Disk
- How to Avoid Suitcase Strain This Holiday Season
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Workers' Comp Often a Gateway to Opioid Abuse: Study
- A New Challenger to Medical Marijuana?
- FDA Panel OKs Stronger Opioid Despite Concerns
- Despite Opioid Crisis, Most Patients Want the Drugs for Post-Op Pain
- Health Tip: Know the Risk Factors for Lower Back Pain
- Opioid Overdose Crisis May Have Begun Decades Ago
- Reports Warn of Growing Opioid Crisis Among Seniors
- Opioid Crisis Driving Decline in U.S. Life Expectancy: CDC
- 1 in 12 Americans Lives With Debilitating Chronic Pain
- Health Tip: Change Poor Posture
- Mindfulness May Be a Buffer Against Pain
- Could a Placebo Pill Help Ease Your Back Pain?
- Naloxone Nasal Spray Works Best to Stop Opioid OD: Study
- Health Tip: Prevent Back Pain at Work
- Opium Poppy Genome Research May Aid Painkiller Production
- Warning Letters Target Illegal Online Sales of Opioid Meds: FDA
- U.S. Overdose Deaths Reach Record High
- Doctors Write Fewer Opioid Scripts After Learning of Overdose Death
- As Opioid Epidemic Rages, Painkiller Prescriptions Don't Drop
- Most Seniors Uninformed on Opioid Use
- Majority in U.S. Support Medical Pot, Think It Could Fight Opioid Crisis
- Where Are Opioid Painkillers Prescribed the Most?
- Could Botox Cousin Combat the Opioid Epidemic?
- Resetting E-Prescriptions for Opioids Helps Curb Use: Study
- Supplement May Ease the Pain of Sickle Cell Disease
- Chronic Pain Patients Ask FDA to Ease Opioid Prescribing Restrictions
- Medical Marijuana a Hit With Seniors
- Anti-seizure Meds Won't Ease Low Back Pain
- Is That iPad a Pain in the Neck?
- Risky Prescribing Boosts Opioid Death Risk
- Trump Carried Counties With High Opioid Use: Study
- Have Insurers Played a Role in Opioid Crisis?
- Health Tip: Managing Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Patients on Opioids OK With Lower Doses
- Many High School Pitchers Suffer Pain as Pitch Counts Mount
- Fake CBD Oil Sickens 52 People in Utah
- Chiropractic Has Role to Play in Easing Lower Back Pain: Study
- Backbreaking Work May Shorten Men's Lives
- Health Tip: When To Call Your Doctor If You Have Lower Back Pain
- Avoid 'Text Neck' From Your Cellphone
- Overcoming Fear of Back Pain May Spur Recovery
- Managing Pain With Fewer Opioids After Joint Replacement
- Opioids Not Best Option for Back Pain, Arthritis, Study Finds
- People Tend to Overestimate Pain From Surgery
- Repetitive Pitching May Cause Teens Serious Shoulder Problems
- Health Tip: When Sore Muscles Warrant a Call to the Doctor
- Brief Meditation Training Brings Pain Relief
Pain Management Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter