Patient Comments: Paget's Disease of The Nipple - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of Paget's disease of the nipple? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Snoopy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I've had skin tags on occasion my whole life. I noticed one on my pubic mound area that grew extremely fast. That was the only one I had and it erupted like a pimple after about two weeks. Then I started getting five or six more in my genital area and went to my doctor. He immediately said they were genital warts. He froze them and wanted me back in two weeks. My girlfriend worked in a doctor's office and got the liquid nitrogen from her office and froze them one more time about two weeks later. I've been wart free for the last two years. After my outbreak and prior to visiting the doctor I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend, and she eventually got them also. We treated her at home the same way and after two treatments they were gone. It takes about a month for all signs of the warts to go disappear. I contracted them at the age of 64.

Comment from: Sal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I noticed that right nipple was turned down and had swollen discolored area on areola. Immediately I saw my female dermatologist. She said she thought eczema but took a biopsy. After that the doctor ordered diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. Biopsy had Paget's disease cells so now I'm waiting for MRI. Dermatologist said I'll need surgery. So, that's where I am. Hope this helps someone!

Comment from: Therese, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Discharge from my nipple, itching, flaking, and sensitivity of the nipple to touch are my symptoms of Paget's disease of the nipple. I have yellowish and bloody discharge on occasion. It is sticking to my bra and not healing.

Comment from: 45 year old female, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

About a year ago, I mentioned to my doctor that I was having some sensitivity on my nipple and a small sore spot. It seemed to get better on it's own with Neosporin so I didn't think much more of it until a few months ago I noticed a few drops of blood on my nightgown. This then rapidly progressed to severe itching & burning. The surgeon I was referred to initially treated it as a possible fungal infection and then did a biopsy. I have DCIS and am facing a mastectomy in the next few weeks. My mammograms have always been normal (but I have dense breasts which apparently can make this difficult to diagnose initially).

Comment from: jferr3, Female (Patient) Published: October 14

You have no idea how much pain you are in for after getting hemorrhoid surgery. Wait until you have your first bowel movement, it is like passing razor blades.

Comment from: Dallas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been having breast pain under the nipple and if I push around the nipple there is a burning sensation and consistent if I lay on it. I feel it as well and it has been like this for 7 plus months. I am concerned about Paget's disease of the nipple.

Comment from: lilly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I'm only 19 and I'm really scared because after googling Paget's disease I'm seeing a correlation with the symptoms that seem to be appearing. Both my nipples itch and burn especially late at night and I have a breast lump.

Comment from: dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had ulceration on my nipple, but assumed it was chafing from my running bra, so I ignored it. It returned three months later, so I searched the symptoms and actually saw Paget's. I had just booked and paid for a “bucket list” trip to Africa to climb Kilimanjaro. So I thought, "I can't deal with this right now," put a bandage on it, and off I went. I thought, if I just climbed to the roof of Africa I can't be sick. So I came home and ignored it for the third time and then caught a glance of my nipple in the mirror and saw it was changing not only the nipple, but the areola area. I have no risk factors, no history of cancer in my family. I have never smoked, don't drink, I'm thin, and have always exercised a lot. I was just diagnosed with Paget's and need a mastectomy. The pathology report just came back today, but there is no staging yet. I set up my first oncologist appointment. I hope it is not too late for me and it isn't in an advanced stage. I hope I didn't throw my life away at 53. I am the perfect example of someone who ignored symptoms and will be the first to admit it is all my fault. I hope someone reads this and it spurs them to see a doctor quickly.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I noticed a tiny absolutely white spot on my nipple. In the next month there was some crusting over that spot. My gynecologist suspected Paget's but the surgeon he sent me to for a biopsy laughed at me and told me to go home and "try more creams." He believed that it was a fungus. For more than a year the lesion persisted and grew (but only incrementally -- it remained a small section of the nipple). There was rarely pain, more often intermittent itching. The gynecologist who replaced my doctor when he moved away would not even look at it -- there was already a report from a surgeon in my file saying that it was nothing. Seventeen months after I first noticed the change on my breast, I went to a new family doctor, a woman. She took one look and said that if it were on her breast she would get a biopsy immediately. I told her that was all I wanted -- just to know. She made an appointment that day. I had surgery three months later (Houston flooded and lost some medical labs) but eventually M. D. Anderson diagnosed the tissue. We did a deepish cone shaped lumpectomy and removed 11 lymph nodes from the armpit. The lymph nodes were clear. The follow-up was aggressive radiation -- because I had had the cancer for so long. There was no underlying breast cancer which I realize was amazing. I have been cancer free for nearly ten years now and am a very healthy 70 year old.

Pink Ribbon for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Comment from: NJPOZNANSKI, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have a gray scab like spot next to the areola. It also itches.

Comment from: PEGGY, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had an irregular shaped rough spot on my nipple. My gyno misdiagnosed it as a fungal infection. My dermatologist suggested Paget's disease and sent me to a different gyno. He biopsied it and was surprised that it was Paget's disesase as it is rare and he had never seen a case before. I had a modified radical mastectomy in September 1985. The diagnosis was infiltrating ductal and intraductal carcinoma of the breast, Paget's disease of the nipple, and 22 axillary lymph nodes free of metastatic tumor. I had no further treatment. I am alive and well 27 years later.

Comment from: lcc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I just had a very small dry spot in the breast and I put Vaseline I get it was very dry, but 1 month went by and still the same but little bit bigger and I call my doctor and send me to do a mammogram and sonogram and it was good, but I got sent to a specialist and I am going to have a biopsy, and see what it is.

Comment from: tomw, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 22

Yellowish discharge from the nipple. Spotting of blood on bed sheet one night. A small (.5cm ) lump below the nipple.

Comment from: Letter Carrier, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had no symptoms. All of a sudden one day I came home and undressed myself and my nipple was stuck to the inside of my bra. That's how I found out there was a problem. A clear liquid was then present on the surface of my nipple after my shower and the surface of the nipple was kind of raw and red. One day later it was gone. I thought the Neosporin was good for it and that's why it went away, but I was wrong.

Pink Ribbon for Breast Cancer Awareness Month