Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Krysss92, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I am currently 26 years old, I also have a 3 year old too. I have not had a period for 5 plus months and only had signs of slight pinching on my left side. I just went to the gynecologist and they did blood work and vaginal ultrasound. I was told I have a small cyst on my left ovary, and she told me it would go away on its own. So we shall see. I go back in 6 weeks to check on it. I still have no period though. She said that could be due to high insulin, but my A1C was normal, and thyroid and iron were normal. So I was put on metformin to lower sugar levels, if not they are putting me on Clomid to kick start my ovulating to start my periods again.

Comment from: S'MOORE5, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

The first time I experienced a ruptured ovarian cyst, I was 17, after sexual intercourse. I couldn't even walk and the pain was so great, it caused a lot of nausea. I went straight to the emergency room (ER) where they did blood work and a CT. They finally diagnosed me with an ovarian cyst and told me to see my gynecologist. Fast forward 4 years, I had my first child through C-section. The doctor cut a large cyst off and 2 years later, another cyst was cut off after during my second C-section. A year later, I was sent to the ER again with a ruptured cyst which left me in pain for days afterward. One year after that, yet another cyst was cut from an ovary during my 3rd and final C-section. That was 2010. I had a ruptured cyst again in 2015, which I just suffered through. Now today, 5/22/2018, I am having those same dreaded symptoms again. It's like a waiting game. It would be wonderful if it would just go away but with this pain, I just don't see that happening. It's going to be a long night, I believe.

Comment from: Rosales Flora, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Two years ago I decided to have an ultra sound to determine why I suffered such debilitating menstrual cramps, and my gynecologist only found a very small ovarian cyst and sent me on my way with some Advil. A year later I started having chronic urinary type infections and on the 3rd visit was told I had a huge fibroid or cyst. I immediately had another ultra sound and found the cyst had grown to 7.5 centimeters. My gynecologist wants to do immediate surgery and explained that if they can't drain it most likely I would need a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Alex, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I'm 22 years old and months ago one morning I woke up just fine but when I went to the restroom and finished urinating my lower abdomen started to hurt really badly. When I went to the doctor he said he didn't know what it was since I took really long to go so he had to do some test. After a blood test and an ultrasound they found that it was an ovarian cyst and my right ovary was 3 times bigger. He gave me a shot of I think it was called ketorolac. After that shot and some pills the pain and inflammation were gone. He did tell me to go to a gynecologist but with college I never had time. Now 3 days ago that same pain and bloating was back but the pain is not so severe. I am only okay if I am lying down or sitting down. I'm planning to go to the doctor but with school it is really hard. I can't be absent anymore.

Comment from: luckylila, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I'm 51 and pretty sure it is perimenopause. I have had irregular periods, spotting, then nothing for weeks, then spotting, and regular period. This has been going on for about 3 months. I had anxiety so bad I went to the emergency room. I had an ache on my left side. They did a chest and abdominal CT scan with nothing in the results. Everything looked ok except for a cyst on left ovary. I was still worried and went to the gynecologist, and had a pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound. I am going again next month because it showed slight thickening of the cyst and a fibroid. This pain, or ache I should say, is persisting, sometimes worse than others. It sometimes feels like a gas bubble, even gets under my rib and then is gone. I have no insurance so am trying not to panic but need to have some feedback on what next I should have done.

Comment from: kl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a 46 year old female. I have lower right pelvic pain where ovary seems to be, for several months. A dull ache noticeable when I lie down at first, now I feel the ache more often, and pressure, urinating more, bloated and feel full quick. I have been noticing this off and on for a few months as I always have right ovary pain during my cycle which lasts a few days. Now it seems to be a constant ache. I am going for a Pap in a few weeks as we have no available family doctor right now. Thinking now I should go to a walk in clinic.

Comment from: keebler1012, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I recently had an ovarian cyst rupture. They ran a CT scan because they originally thought it was appendicitis. Well, the cyst ruptured and there was fluid in my abdomen. He said that that was what was causing my stomach pain. But now I am having severe leg pain. It is hurting close to where it ruptured and on down into my leg, sometimes sharp. I don't know if this is related. But the cyst ruptured 12 days ago and they still saw fluid 3 days ago. The pain is aggravating. Makes me not want to walk.

Comment from: ECRia90, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am 26 years old and have been diagnosed with ovarian cysts since I was 15. I have had severe cases of pain every so often, only two that sent me to the hospital or the doctor. I have had one rupture (which was when I was 15 when it was first discovered). In the past month I have had pain every so often, nausea, I am bloated, and I have moments of not being hungry. I have been told tender breasts can be associated with ovarian cysts but only a specific kind. I am going to see a doctor soon about it, but I am hoping to be pregnant, not having a bad cysts.

Comment from: Rose W, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

Just today I had severe abdominal pain on the left side and went to the emergency room. They ordered blood tests and urine sample before finally ordering a CT scan. From there the doctor found quite a large cyst in my left ovary and prescribed me some pain killers. He only told me to arrange for ultrasound in 4 to 6 weeks' time to see if it is still there as it could disappear on its own. If it is still there then they will need to do surgery to remove it. I only noticed that I felt so bloated in the last week but didn't experience any nausea at all. The pain was so unbearable!

Comment from: Queen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

Some of you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). My daughter had no period before the age of 18. Doctor told her she was lucky, moron! The child went on line and did research and said mom I think I may have PCOS. We went to a doctor again, had her do blood work, etc., and sure enough it was PCOS.

Comment from: KodaBubbles, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have lower left abdominal pain and it came on all of a sudden three days ago (10/14/15 today). At first it was a nagging pain and slowly it just got worse. It honestly felt like a muscle strain and since I didn't have any medical insurance, I didn't want to waste everyone's time with going, but today, it just got worse. I was almost doubled over and I was crying. If it hadn't been for that pain today, I wouldn't have gone to the doctor. I told her that I have had this pain in my lower side for about three days and I have also had vaginal bleeding for a month. She asked me if I had any lower back pain and I had some. She seemed really worried about it and did a urinalysis to determine whether or not I was pregnant because it could have possibly been an ectopic pregnancy. The pregnancy test came back negative and she ordered a transvaginal ultrasound. Later that day, the doctor called and said I had cysts on both ovaries, the left side being the worst and that is the side that was hurting me. She also said that she saw some fluid next to the cyst and that she believes that one of them had ruptured. She just wants to monitor me right now and if I have any more pain like this again, I need to go straight to the emergency room. She also prescribed me some pain medicine that I have to get tomorrow. I would have gotten it today, but she was just worried about what was going on.

Comment from: Becca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I started hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and the doctor was so aggressive with the estrogen, which caused painful cysts on my only ovary. I noticed being full after eating a few bites, not being able to lay on my tummy, nausea all the time, having to pee all the time, then finally to throwing up and not being able to eat. I went to my regular doctor and then to an obstetrician/gynecologist, and had an ultrasound and transvaginal ultra sound. I was in pain for over 2 months. I am off the HRT and starting just now to be able to function. I felt sorry for my husband, I could not do anything, clean, fix dinner, nothing. Ladies, if you feel odd, and your body is telling you something, listen and do not get on hormones!

Comment from: OHR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was first diagnosed with an ovarian cyst two years back with no apparent symptom other than the belly enlargement. After the initial diagnosis and several follow-up testing, I was directed to a surgery where my right ovary was operated upon and removed along with the cyst. Ever since, I have been taking norethisterone tablets thrice a day and have got ultrasound scans done in about every six months. Now, I'm married and I'm not sure what to do with my condition. The only thing I'm sure is that I want to stop taking the pill, but am afraid to do so due to possible cysts that may definitely emerge after stopping the medication. I'd be thankful for any valid opinion.

Comment from: Jazz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I was 18 and on the toilet, I felt like I needed to have a bowel movement but nothing came out. All of a sudden an excruciating pain hit me in the lower abdomen, and I collapsed to the ground unable to move. I thought I was just constipated so instead of calling an ambulance I called a cab and went to the hospital. They did an ultrasound straight away and told me I had a mass that needed to be removed immediately, so sometime later that day I woke up from surgery minus an ovary, fallopian tube and a 17 cm x 15 cm ovarian cyst. For me, up until that day I had no pain, others had noticed my belly swelling but I didn't. Between the ultrasound and surgery I felt my tummy and noticed that it was rock hard, not like a flabby beer belly or a few too many pies, but protruding like a pregnant belly would, firm to touch. A lot of me not noticing anything was my young age. I am 31 now and haven't had any more problems, I also have a beautiful son who was absolutely no trouble at all to conceive.

Comment from: kaiane, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Last year I had severe back pain, vaginal bleeding and serious pain on the left side. I got diagnosed with kidney infection but the medication didn't work and I went back to the doctor. Then they realized I had an ovarian cyst; nothing but surgery got rid of it. I'm currently in pain on my left side and I went to my nearest doctor who diagnosed me with kidney infection, then yet again I fell for it up until it hit me these are the same symptoms from last time.

Comment from: rosie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I recently went to the doctor because of abdominal pain. Last time when my boyfriend and I were intimate I started bleeding and it was really thick and almost brown. I had also been feeling pressure on my bladder, almost as if I was pregnant. I have been on birth control for 5 years and haven't had a period for 4 years. He did an ultrasound and found about 4 cysts on my left ovary but told me it should be ok and it is normal. Now as I'm reading on them I am a little worried, if my symptoms are pressure and also feeling full with a few bites (I love to eat), maybe I need a new doctor.

Comment from: Ana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I've always had extremely painful periods, but my cyst rupture was quite a life-scare. On the morning of it, I was on my 1st day and the 1st ten minutes of my menstrual flow. The pain began to worsen from 0 to 100 within several min after I began bleeding. I knew something was very wrong and before I could dial 911 I began passing out and couldn't get up to stand on my feet (for some reason during bad menstrual pain my feet get somewhat paralyzed and I can never walk). After my mom called 911 the paramedics showed up as I was laying on the floor half-conscious. On the way to the hospital, my heart rate began to drop, and I stopped responding to the paramedics. I don't have too many memories of the ambulance ride, but I do remember hearing one of them yell out to another 'her heart-rate is dropping and she's not responding! What should I do?' After hearing that, I got scared for my life. But Thank goodness for the paramedics! They just kept loudly calling my name and trying to wake me back up, warning me if I didn't respond, 'immediate and extreme actions' would be taken to save me. Finally, knowing how bad this might be, I gained strength and tried my best to 'stay with them'. They got me in the hospital and after 7 house of pain medications I finally felt better. The doctor didn't say much besides that I had a ruptured cyst which was shown on the scan and that my body responded in a pretty unusual way when my heart rate began to quickly drop. Which is still unknown why. But he did say it could have possibly been due to the extreme and continuous pain, and the exhaustion from it. He did say that 'once the 1st rupture happens, chances of another 2nd one was much more likely.' I will be talking to my doctor about possibly getting on some form of long term birth control. I am willing to try anything than having to go through that experience again.

Comment from: KLH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I get occasional ovarian cysts, but they don't hurt. The first time, I was in my mid-30s. I was bleeding between menstrual periods, and the bleeding continued for over a month. It wasn't a lot of blood, but it was worrisome, so my doctor ordered an ultrasound. A 5 cm, blood-filled cyst was discovered. We did nothing but watch, and recheck later to see if it would resolve itself, which it did. I still get them from time to time. I can tell, because I feel a little pinch right around the time I should be ovulating, and then some bleeding. I don't bother to get the ultra-sounds anymore, because they don't hurt and they always resolve themselves. It is always the left ovary. Also, this might be of interest; I was diagnosed with endometriosis at age 43. A laparoscopy revealed that the left ovary, the back of the uterus, and the sigmoid colon were all glued together by endometrial tissue. Possible explanation for the fussy, cyst-forming behavior of that ovary.

Comment from: A Roy, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My daughter is 17+ years old. She has irregular periods, like a gap of 1 month but presently her period stopped last six months. As per doctor's advice, USG (ultrasound scan) has been done and found that there are ovarian cysts. Though, she has no pain. I am very much worried.

Comment from: DJane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

My symptoms of ovarian cysts started with frequent urination (three times an hour on average). I then developed pain on trying to pass stools which developed into constipation. A month later I had bloating, gas and loss of appetite, and feeling full quickly. My cyst went from 2 cm to 4 cm in less than a month. I have suffered from cysts and fibroids all my life, in fact my first ovarian cyst was when I was aged five which was so big I lost my right ovary. Three years ago I had my third large fibroid removed which necessitated a partial hysterectomy leaving only my left ovary. Here I go again with another cyst.

Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with my first cyst when I was 20. It was so painful I had to go to the emergency room. After the pain went away it was several years before I had another one. I was around 25 and was in so much pain I couldn"t even sit. I went to the emergency room and found out it was a double cyst. Now I"m 30, my tubes are tied and it seems like I get them every couple of months. It"s very painful and sometimes nothing helps.

Comment from: alantrika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

About 2 weeks back I had abdominal pain mostly towards my left side of lower abdomen. I could stay no longer so I went to emergency and underwent an ultrasound. It showed left ovarian hemorrhagic cyst of 4cms and they told me to do tumor markers blood test; reports awaited.

Comment from: SuzyQ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

Last year I went to the emergency room for severe abdominal pain and vaginal bleeding. They told me it was a gall stone and sent me home with some pain medications which I could not take. After suffering through the weekend, I went to see my obstetrician and he told me an ovarian cyst had ruptured and there were several more on each ovary, one quite large and a few small ones. He was not able to tell me how to get rid of them other than surgery and to wait it out and see what happens. Yeast infections and bladder infections have plagued me for as long as I can remember and both were beginning to bother me at the time. While in the store picking up yet another package of vaginal antifungal cream, a woman suggested probiotics. I opted not to buy the cream, went to a health food store and picked up some really good probiotics. After about 3 days of taking them daily the bladder infection burn was negligible and the yeast infection was abating. If I stop taking them the infections are back within two weeks. Another bonus is that the ovarian cysts are gone. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but then maybe not. My obstetrician laughs at me and tells me there is no connection, but taking probiotics will continue to remain part of my daily routine anyway. Hopefully this helps someone out there.

Comment from: Kelcy12, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am a 20 year old, when I was about twelve I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts. I have had them ever since. About a week or two before I get my period I will have up to three or more ruptures, even during my period I would get them. I am not on any birth control. I normally just suffer through the pain or I take pain medication for it. And it mostly happens on my left side.

Comment from: Confused, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I used to have severe lower back pains, which started about 4 years ago. I used to diagnose myself of dehydration as I thought they were kidney pains, and used to drink 5 to 6 glasses of water every time the pain started, which resulted in subsiding of the pain. Three months ago, when my pain did not go away by drinking water (in fact I vomited all the water I drank), I got an ultrasound and some tests done which told me that I had bilateral ovarian cysts (left side=5.5cm, right side=11cm). I had to get a laparotomy done to get both of them removed. However, 3 months after my operation my ultrasound shows that my ovaries give a polycystic appearance. All my hormones are in their normal ranges, and I don't have very irregular periods, nor do I have any facial hair which are all symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome. My doctor has prescribed me Glucophage that I have to take every day. What I'd really like to know is whether or not I have slight or plain polycystic ovaries or do I have PCOS, as knowing will make me accept my condition better.

Comment from: BINTE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

When I was 5months pregnant with my 3rd baby, a 5.6cm cyst was diagnosed in my left ovary during ultrasound. I never had pain, but now after 1 year its size is 7cm. I checked with my doctor and they want me to go for surgery as, if the cyst twisted, then they will have to remove my ovary which can cause major problems in future like infertility, obesity and increase of hair growth on the body. I am so confused.

Comment from: Wanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a 39 year old female. About 2 weeks after the end of my period I had a week of spontaneous afternoon cramping. I would be fine in the morning, then all of a sudden at some time in the afternoon I would start cramping real bad. I would take 3 ibuprofen and wait for the cramping to go away. I would be fine in the evening. I was also spotting every day. I have never experienced this before and knew I wasn't having a period. Then, the following week, I noticed that my pelvic area was very sore at times, especially when I pressed down on it a little bit. I went to a medical clinic and on that day (of course) it ended up that I wasn't having the pelvic soreness. She figured I was just getting my period. Then, 4 days later I went to Planned Parenthood (and of course, the pelvic pain was gone again). They thought it was just hormonal changes. Then, a week later, after another week of occasional pelvic tenderness, my pelvic pain came on suddenly and terribly. I couldn't move. I was laying on the floor. I was vomiting and I was alone. I called 911 and went to the hospital. They did an ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound. They took blood tests. They said I had a 3 cm ovarian cyst (and a few 2 cm ones). They gave me pain medications and said to follow up with the obstetrician and gave me brochures that said most of these cysts resolve themselves within a few weeks. It's only a couple of days later and I'm still having occasional pelvic pain. I worry about having another painful episode, but I will just have to wait and see. I've never had cysts that I know of before.

Published: July 22

Two months ago I went to the doctor complaining of pelvic pain. He found I had "normal" cyst on both ovaries. A few weeks later I started feeling sick with stomach pain, lower back pain and pelvic pain. A day and half later I was in severe pain and vomiting. I went to the ER where I did mention the cyst but also that I had experienced this similar problem about a year before and the ER doctor at the time diagnosed me with pancreatitis. They ran blood work an everything looked normal so they sent me home with pain pills. I followed up with my gyno doc a couple of weeks later so he could check on the cyst and although they were gone or almost completely gone he now noticed something else, something about "calcium" and he thought it could be a dermoid cyst or maybe cancer. He sent me for the CA-125 blood work and MRI, both looked normal. It's now been a couple more weeks and I am seeing him tomorrow for yet another ultrasound. I am still experiencing constant pelvic pain (not severe), random nausea and occasional lower back and leg aches. I take the pill regularly, daily on at the same time each day. My period 3 months ago was abnormally heavy and lasted one day then 2 mos ago it was very, very light and last about a day. I had some light spotting last month and another very light "period" about a week or so ago that only lasted about a day and a half. This is not normal for me. Since the blood work and MRI came back normal I now have no idea what else the problem could be, or if I should even be concerned.

Comment from: alex, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have lower abdominal pain of ovarian cyst. I have no appetite and I am nauseous for three days.

Comment from: vcooper, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My daughter is 15 and she has a cyst every month for the past 5 months. They are getting bigger and the pain is getting stronger each month. The doctors don't tell us much and all they seem to want to do for treatment is give her narcotic pain medicine. I am at a loss and she is so tired and frustrated with the pain and loss of school time.

Comment from: louise99, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I cannot live like this anymore; every month when I am on my period I am in excruciating pain. I feel like I am in labor and for 4 to 6 hours a day for 4 to 5 days I am in deep pain, contraction like pains actually; well, it feels worse than labor! I'm pouring liters of blood each month, that I cry for hours with all the pain and blood I am not sure if it is cysts in my ovaries or burst cysts.

Comment from: layo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Five years ago I had a miscarriage which led to visiting a doctor for ultra-scan. The result, a small cyst on the left side of the ovary. I did not do anything about it but concentrated on stopping the bleeding and to regulating my hormone (progesterone). Just 3 days ago, I went for an ultra-scan to confirm the position of my womb, only to discover there is a small cyst on the right ovary and the earlier cyst on the left is growing bigger. Doctor advised operation, but I'm very worried, I don't want to be operated upon.

Comment from: greysmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I've had ovarian cysts in the past and never felt like the pain got worse when I would eat, but recently I'm experiencing the worst abdominal pain I've ever had, and my doctor thinks it's gastrointestinal, but I'm having doubts since none of the medicines have made any difference in the pain level.

Comment from: Daisy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with ovarian cyst 3 months ago when I went to my family doctor. My symptoms are soreness, and bloating like feelings in the lower abdomen on the left side mostly, and it travels down my leg also. I have occasional nausea and lower back pain. Also my breasts are always sore and swollen a bit more than usual.

Comment from: manda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had abdominal pain since December. I found out I have 2 ovarian cysts one 10 mm on one ovary and 1.5 cm on the other ovary, I am currently on Depo-Provera and have been for 2 years so I do not have any menstrual cycle at all.

Comment from: ren, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

My symptoms of ovarian cysts were pressure, lower abdominal pain on both sides, bloating, fatigue, back pain, and cramps.

Comment from: youngand scared, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I"m about to be 22 years old and this afternoon I was woken up by severe pain on my right side. My roommate took me to the prompt care and they did a CT scan thinking that it was going to be kidney stones. When the initial report came back they told me that I had an ovarian cyst rupture but that it shouldn"t cause any long term damage. However I should still see my obstetrician/gynecologist to confirm that that is what it was.

Comment from: bjs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had several cysts requiring surgical intervention. The pain is a sharp stabbing pain that was on the right lower quarter of my abdomen just slightly above my groin.

Comment from: AJ070214, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I realize that I had pain in the lower area of my right hand side of my stomach and the doctor diagnosed it as appendicitis. The doctor told me once the pain worsened I must go to Accident & Emergency. However, the pain did not worsen but I realized the pain reappeared when I was on my menstrual period like before. I was in so much pain that I went to A & E and the doctor said it seems like it maybe a cyst but I need to have a scan to determine the pain.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had several years of abnormal heavy bleeding every day. My obstetrician-gynecologist was never concerned. I was in pretty bad shape. I went to a new obstetrician-gynecologist and told him the problem. He really wasn't too concerned either. I was bleeding heavily 24 hours a day. Well, several years later I called the doctor's office and told them I was hemorrhaging. They called me back and told me I had an appointment at a one day surgery clinic. Well, 6 hours later they removed a very large fibrous cyst after which I have been in relative good health.

Comment from: Vero, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was told in a body check that I have got ovarian cysts on the right side 46*48*52cm. I have no pain, and I just feel everything as normal. The doctor told me to conduct the surgery. I really feel reluctant to.

Comment from: wirefan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have been having a shooting pain while having sex, on my right side and thought nothing of it. I found out that I was pregnant with my 2nd child on 15 August 2013 only to get admitted to hospital with an expected ectopic pregnancy due to a constant shooting pain from my right hip to my pubic bone. I went and had the ultrasound to find the baby is fine and in my uterus, but I've got a burst cyst on my right ovary causing me to feel extremely ill and nauseous and constant stomach ache.

Published: July 28

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed at 25 weeks with a 20cm ovarian cyst - right side. Being an herbalist, I refused surgery and changed my diet that day to a totally alkaline diet (vegan - all raw veggies, fruits, nuts and berries with a protein shake/organic vitamins - no processed/prepared animal/vegan foods). And now at 34 weeks, the once complex cyst is now a simple cyst and is currently measured at 9cm and the 'tail' is part of an inflamed intestinal tract, not related to the cyst, that seems to be reducing itself as the cyst becomes smaller. The cyst has been expressing itself over time and I feel the burn from time to time, but am feeling fine overall. I'd had one in 2005 which was 10cm that burst and I survived it with NO surgeries either. But my doctor has NEVER seen a cyst of this size reduce itself and he's still pushing a c-section and ovariectomy. He's even called it different types of cysts, not really knowing what he's looking at - such a letdown. With this sort of progress, I told him there is no way I'll do any surgery till the baby is born, especially since he can't properly diagnose it, and even then I wouldn't do the surgery. I can use herbals that are non-pregnancy friendly once baby is out and safe and stick to a vegan diet (no animal proteins of any kind, no beans or wheats - they are all acid foods). My cell biologist brother in law has done research in cancers and leukemia. It has been his observations in lab settings that cancers, tumors and cysts cannot live in an alkaline environment. So ladies, change your diet and drink your electrolytes and don't forget to exercise/walk. Oh, and this sort of diet surely will keep you all from becoming big fat cows during pregnancy and be healthy for baby. I've only gained 28lbs and am mobile, active and feel good now and all baby vitals are excellent! Hope this helps anyone in some small way.

Published: July 22

I have spent the last 3 days in bed with severe abdominal pain, I can compare this only to contractions. My right side has been experiencing shooting pain, around my lower back and thigh and even down my leg. I eventually called my Dr who told me to go to the hospital, as I was in bad pain and felt really weak. After a few tests and lab work they discovered a large cyst on my right ovary that was surrounded with fluid and inflammation. They first thought I was experiencing kidney stones or even a urinary tract infection as there was blood in my urine. The ultra sound showed the cyst. I was sent home with pain pills and told to follow up in the week with my OBGYN.

Published: July 07

Three years while into my second month of pregnancy at 22 years old, I woke up to a sharp pain in my left abdomen, vomiting and couldn't walk. I was rushed into the hospital and diagnosed with a twisted ovarian cyst of 6 x 4 cm. I underwent a laparotomy an hour later and both baby and I were saved. Three years later, I developed the same sharp pain, and now I have to go to surgery again since this time it's a much bigger one (15 x 9 cm) has been detected by an ultrasound scan. I have ignored the twinges for seven months now but recently the pains have become more intense. My doctor says he is worried that it could cause adhesion in case it bursts open in my pelvis. Everybody in my family worries too since no one has had these symptoms before in our history.

Comment from: Rosie C, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had a ruptured cyst in my left ovary and I also have a 15 mm x 15 mm cyst in the left ovary. I have been severely unwell for a month and I currently still am. I have been put on strong painkillers and 400 mg Brufen 3 times a day. I am worried if this cyst will rupture as well or will it have to be removed. Maybe I need further CT to monitor size, etc.

Comment from: jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have pain, excruciating pain, bleeding, nausea, fatigue, and dizziness because of ovarian cysts.

Comment from: wakingdiva, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had an ovarian cyst burst and it hemorrhaged into my fallopian tube, this was back in March. The pain isn't as intense but it still is sore, I go in for another ultra sound in June.

Comment from: Chantel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

The doctor diagnosed me with an ovarian cyst. The pain is getting worse and now I think its influencing my menstrual cycle.

Comment from: alantrika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had bad abdominal pain because of ovarian cysts.

Comment from: marissa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I'm 24 years old and my left side is all swollen and my right side is all push and I get really bad pains. I went for an ultrasound and they said they haven't found anything but they weren"t looking for anything on my ovaries. I think I should go back to the doctor and bring up him to check out my ovaries because I get my period, then for 3 months I don`t. My doctor told me I had irritable bowel syndrome but I think there's more.

Comment from: AndraB, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My daughter has reoccurring ovarian cysts that are extremely painful. She is 22 and this year has had 4 surgeries. The obstetrician-gynecologists (she has seen 11) have tried all conventional options over the years and nothing has helped.

Comment from: Priya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am 27 years old. I have my regular periods but with severe stomachache and vomiting. I went for an ultrasound and was reported to have ovarian cysts in both of my ovaries. I was under medication but I still suffer from severe pain during my periods.

Comment from: Leslieo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a 66-year-old female who had right hip replacement 4 months ago and I suffered this pain in my right abdomen. I thought it was from the hip but it kept getting worse. Then I got 3 urinary tract infections and finally got diagnosed today after a CT scan with an ovarian cyst which is pretty rare since I have been post menopausal for 19 years!

Published: July 29

I first started having symptoms when my oldest daughter was a baby. I missed my period for four months and thought for sure that I was pregnant again. I went and saw a doctor that said I had a cyst ... no big deal. Shortly after that, I tried for another kid and after a year, I wondered why I hadn't gotten pregnant yet. Six months later, I was having irregular periods and was having sharp pain on my right side. My appendix was taken out three years before this, so I know that it wasn't that. I went to one doctor who said that my ultrasound was clear of anything and when I asked about endometriosis she told me I was too old to have it. She told me that it was "probably" gastrointestinal and to check with a different doctor. So I went to another doctor for a second opinion. She ordered me to have surgery (laparoscopy) to see what was really going on. One week later, I was officially diagnosed with polycystic ovarian disease. She told me that there were a few cysts on my ovaries that wouldn't show up on the ultrasound. She also told me that because of this, my chances of having any more kids would be slim. She removed all the cysts. Two months later, I became pregnant with my second daughter. Since she was born, I have been having problems again. I didn't have my "first" period until my baby was 7 months old, and I have been having a lot of pain. I went to a doctor about it and he told me that I had a cyst on my uterus and gave me pain medications. He doesn't want to do any surgery until my original doctor has a chance to look at me since she was the one who diagnosed me.

Published: July 29

My right side ached (like the feeling you get after running) and I had bad pressure across my belly. It started six months ago, and it doesn't go away unless I sit or lie on my right side. I've had a liver ultrasound, a colonoscopy, a stomach X-ray and a CAT scan, which found a cyst in each kidney and a cyst on each ovary.

Published: July 18

My 21 year old daughter had been complaining of mid cycle pain since she commenced her period. Our GP investigated but did not order any tests. Once the pain was so severe, she required intramuscular pethidine. Eventually, she could handle the pain no longer and I encouraged her to go to another doctor for testing. She had an ultrasound scan which showed a 6cm simple cyst on her right ovary. Two months later a further scan showed the cyst to be 9cm in size. The pain was getting her down. We took her to a gynecologist who performed a laparoscopic procedure to remove the cyst. Whilst doing this, he discovered a previously undiscovered 12cm dermoid cyst on her left ovary. He felt this was the more likely the actual cause of her pain and had probably been growing since puberty. She is recovering now and we hope this will be the end of her ovarian pain. As her mother, I am annoyed I was unable to get doctors to take her pain seriously and perhaps we could have avoided years of unnecessary pain.

Published: July 15

When my symptoms first appeared, my husband had to take me to the hospital because I thought my appendix was rupturing. I had sharp pain in my pelvic area on the right side. The hospital said that I had an ovarian cyst and to follow up with my gynecologist. When my regular doctor received the report from the hospital, he called me immediately and said that I had a "hemorrhaging cyst" that needed to be removed immediately. It was the worst pain of my life.

Published: July 07

I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts when I was 21 yrs old after my doctor sent me to the ER for extreme abdominal pain. From there, we were told to wait and see. About a year later, I got pregnant with my second child. All went well; it was a normal pregnancy and delivery. Now he's 2 years old, and I started cramping again. Not just cramping but a constant pain in my side and back also around my pelvis and thigh, and nausea. I decided to go back to the doctor, and he looked over my history and said it could be the cysts but first I should try antibiotics just in case it was an infection. Two weeks later, I had my ultrasound, and they found a 5 cm cyst on my ovary.

Published: July 07

I am 51 years old and started to have burning sensations in my legs and could not walk from pain in my legs (started in one and traveled to the other). This was going on for more than two months and then gradually disappeared. Later, I was diagnosed with the cyst in my left ovary. Now after two years, I started to have the same leg pain.

Published: July 02

My symptoms started with dull lower back pain. Then I started experiencing fullness and hip pain on one side. Finally, there was some blood spotting. That's when I decided to go to the doctor and the cyst was found. If the symptoms don't resolve in the next 30 days, then I will need to have another check up on the cyst because there is a family history of ovarian cancer. Also, I feel like I am bloated and need to go to the bathroom often.

Published: June 26

I was recently diagnosed with a cyst as well. I'm 25, and had no pain, just some minor twinges on the opposite side of where the cyst was. The doctor was frankly amazed that I did not feel anything as the cyst was 9cm and a lot of women are in excruciating pain for 4 cm. So, you may have no symptoms, like me. I insisted on an ultrasound because I've never been regular on menstruation, and I have a family history of ovarian cysts. Mine was dermoid, thankfully didn't have any bones or anything in there! Sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason to these cysts, but if you even suspect that's what it is, talk to your doctor and insist on tests. I was scheduled for surgery 2 days later, and thankfully I didn't lose my ovary. These cysts are nothing to ignore.

Published: June 20

I went in for my regular yearly checkup when the doctor indicated that he felt as though my uterus was enlarged. I was scheduled for an ultra sound both internal and external. Both came back negative. One week later I had sharp pains in my right side, I could not walk and had to crawl to reach the phone and call my husband. I ended up having emergency surgery because my cyst had ruptured my fallopian tube. I ended up have my right ovary and fallopian tube removed. I had never had any other symptoms that I can remember except some twinges down by my pelvic. Sometimes now, (2 years later) I feel these same types of twinges on my left side and I am scared that I have something there too.

Published: June 12

I started having very severe pains in my abdomen just a couple months after I turned 15 years old. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed a minor liver problem, gave me some pills and put me on a bland diet. It eased for a few days then came back even worse. My Mom took me to the ER where they ran some tests and did emergency surgery. I had a dermoid tumor (ovarian cyst with bits of bone and hair in it) on my right ovary the size of a grapefruit. My left ovary was also diseased but not as badly. I lost both ovaries that night - - at 15 years old. I'm now 40 and dealing with all this has been a life-long struggle for me. I keep thinking "if only"....the doctor had caught something the first time, if I had insisted on more tests, etc, etc. Don't take any pain in your body lightly!!!

Published: June 10

I initially was late with my period, very bloated, nauseated and felt fluttering. I assumed I was pregnant. My period was 2 weeks late, and then I experienced sharp stabbing pains on the left side. Went through cat scans, and the MRI is what finally detected the mass. Looking back, I had a DNC 10 months previously which I suspect was really the onset of my mass.

Published: June 06

When my cyst was developing, I thought I was just gaining weight, or pregnant, or just plain hormonal. My fiance's mom was actually the one that caught it, but before she could tell me what she thought it was, I was in the ER. When in there, the doctor and nurse kept telling me it was just kidney stones and there was nothing to worry about. After doing a CT scan to see where the stones were, they found the cyst. It was 29 centimeters on my left tube. The doctor said the cyst did not look cancerous. Two days later I had surgery. Longest two days of my life.

Published: June 05

I had horrible stabbing pains in my upper abdomen and lots of vomiting, migraines and on and off nausea and a burning heartburn sensation. After a week I went to the local hospital and everyone, including my mother, roommate and all the Drs Thought it was my gull bladder. They ran a bunch of tests and did a CT and turns out I had a 5cm ovarian cyst! All the signs and symptoms were as if there was something wrong with my gull bladder, I had all the classic symptoms for gull bladder problems including lactose intolerant, on and off severe pain and the vomiting. We were all surprised to see that I had the cyst.

Published: June 03

I noticed something was very wrong when i started having unbelievable pain in my stomach. It felt more like a terrible episode of built up gas in me. I couldn't take a good inhale because the pain was too much to bear. That's when I went to my doctor and he did a ultrasound and found four cysts and one had already erupted. Please see your doctor if your having any symptoms.

Published: May 30

I'm only 16 years old and recently have been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. I would hurt after eating a large meal and so I went to the doctor. They told me that it was just my Gallbladder. A year later it was bothering me again. My pain was in my hip bone and in my rib cage on my right side. A CAT scan showed that it was a cyst the size of a baseball.

Published: May 27

Before I knew that I had a cysts on my ovaries I would experience a lot of pain. There were times that the pain was so bad I could not walk. It felt as if I were getting contractions. What I found very unusual was a white thick smelly liquid that would seep through my belly button. My doctor was baffled by this and my cultures would come back negative as to any infection. Maybe this is another symptom that happens to few women, and might detect early stages of ovarian cysts.

Published: July 28

Are you saying ruptured Ovarian Cysts are not painful? They are extremely painful! I realize small cysts may rupture without pain, but I spent a 9 hour visit to the ER trying to remove the pain I was having (they had me on morphine for pain) it was not kidney stone, twisted ovary, or topic pregnancy it was a large ruptured cyst. I was out of commission for 1 week.

Published: July 24

I had extreme pain in my left side with lots of pressure. I went to the hospital and, after several tests and a vaginal ultrasound, they told me that I had a ruptured ovarian cyst. I have to go back in a month. I am concerned as I am 32 years old and currently trying for a baby with my husband.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter