Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jane, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My husband was losing weight, having fevers, and periods of weakness; then he would feel better. The doctor could find nothing wrong although he was steadily losing weight. Finally he was diagnosed with early stage cirrhosis. He does not drink and never has but was given blood transfusion in the Vietnam War and contracted hepatitis C. He went through treatment years ago. Now this! He is tired a lot, has varicose veins, portal hypertension, and has lost his muscle mass and 35 pounds. He is feeling ok otherwise, I would love it for him if he could gain weight. He has a good appetite and eats a lot but still losing. It is so hard and we are both still in shock and very sad.

Comment from: Bitten all over., 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have found for the intense itching from chiggers that Benadryl gel applied to the affected area stops the itching immediately. After suffering with the intense itching and infected wounds I asked a friend to go to the pharmacy store at the end of my street to pick up some needful. I asked for Benadryl liquid that you take in your mouth and swallow, but she thought I wanted Benadryl gel that you apply on the affected area. I didn't know it existed. I tried it and the intense itching went away immediately. I hope you find this information valuable because I sure did.

Comment from: T.C., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My jumpy heart, palpitations, dizziness, tiredness and fast heart rate, began all year long in 2015. I then went into the emergency room (ER) the first week in December and I was diagnosed with atrial flutter. I had been given a low dose calcium channel blocker. I then went another time and they increased the dose, along with a high blood pressure medicine and a blood thinner from two cardiologists. I finally had a catheter ablation (after three visits to the ER and medicines not working) on March 1st, 2016. Every day I feel much better.

Comment from: Traemanden, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 28

I stepped on a stingray in Peru 10 days ago. At first I thought it was a crab or something biting after I felt movement under my foot. I rushed to the shore and found a 1 cm bleeding cut in the soft part below my ankle. I humped across the beach to find a shower and flushed it while letting it bleed, I guess half a cup of blood. An employee from the hotel had seen me humping over the beach and came with hot water and soap in which my foot soaked for 15 to 20 minutes. After that he gave me a cotton pad soaked in hydrogen peroxide for disinfection. Actually the H2O2 was the most painful part. After an hour sitting (was entertained by jumping humpback whales far out), the wound seemed closed and I was able to walk normally. Here 10 days later the skin is almost healed in the middle of a 1 inch pink spot, and I feel itching in all of the original cut (1 or 2 inches deep) and a little pain when pressing the area. I didn't get any tetanus or antibiotic shots.

Comment from: Miss Myr, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

In early August 2014, I started feeling abdominal pains. I went to see a gynecologist and the ultra-sound report showed that I had an ovarian cyst on my right ovary measuring 3cm. I was put under medication and it disappeared. Early September after experiencing pains again, I went back to see the gynecologist and reported another cyst on my left ovary measuring 5 cm. I was put on pills and I'm hoping that I will be okay. I am still having abdominal pains and will be going back for another ultrasound mid-September.

Comment from: TinaNS., Female (Patient) Published: October 06

So here is my horror story. I went to the doctor with a foul body odor of sulfur and requested a test for Helicobacter pylori and MRSA, which was refused. Any doctor who is properly trained would know to start a course of antibiotic treatment right away, since the smell is a sign of the progression of the infection. Needless to say my family has not been treated and my son is allergic to penicillin. I am thoroughly disgusted at the lack of care for patients.

Comment from: katpresley, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

My mother Is 80 years old and Clostridium difficile colitis almost killed her. I was there at the hospital this morning and her doctor came in and said she'd be in there a few more days!

Comment from: JustDucky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Vitex (chasteberry tree) has utterly helped me control the horrible pain, and has helped to shrink my ovarian cysts considerably. I"ve been taking 800mg once or twice per day for a year now, and can verify the benefits. I still experience some bleeding, particularly while stressed, but the pain is no longer an issue and I can sleep in any position I like without feeling the pain of the cysts.

Comment from: Lacy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Birth control has been my saving grace with my ovarian cysts. I began my period at 10, and I started to have extremely painful cramps. At 14, I had an ultrasound done and the doctors realized I was forming ovarian cysts on my ovaries during menstruation. I've been on birth control since, and am now 20. I barely have any pain at all during my period now!

Comment from: DanielleL87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

Surgery was the only thing that helped me with ovarian cysts and when the doctor went in he discovered I had endometriosis and my right ovary was glued to my uterus and pelvic bone which may have been a big reason why my pelvic pain was so bad and wasn't helped by medication.

Comment from: harley16, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 29

My daughter, 20 has been diagnosed with ovarian cysts. She has horrible pain when they occur. She has been told she will have difficulty bearing children and may be infertile. She hasn't had a period in about 1 year. She took the Gardasil shots.

Comment from: nicholev2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

On February 1, 2010 I had emergency surgery to have my left ovary and tube removed. My ovary was the size of a soft ball and was covered in 5x7 cm cysts. I went to the hospital after ignoring the pain for several months. Now after having the ophorectomy things seemed okay until last year. Now I'm having the same issues with my right side and I'm on my second round of Lupron to help with the cysts. It seems to be helping as of right now.

Comment from: misty6, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I kept on getting the cysts. My first one was when I was 24. I went on the birth control pill and that got rid of it.

Comment from: sharyn, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 15

I was 25 years old when I first experienced ovarian cysts my first treatment was a laparoscopy I had 2 cysts drained which were the size of a walnut then several months later I was back in again. This time removing a cyst the size of a lemon and part of my ovary as well. I was so terrified because I wanted children in the future. I am 45 years old now with 4 children including a set of twins have not had any problems with cysts until now ''here I go again.''

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter