Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled, sac-like structures within an ovary. Symptoms of an ovarian cysts may be:
- Pain in the belly or pelvis
- A feeling for the need to have a bowel movement
- Urgency to urinate
- Pain during intercourse.
There are a variety of causes and types of ovarian cysts, and treatment depends upon type of cyst.Read more: Ovarian Cysts (Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Treatment) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Signs, Stages
Learn about ovarian cancer symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments. Follow the progression of ovarian cancer stages from stage 1 to...
Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain?
There are many causes of pelvic pain in women including cysts, PMS, appendicitis, and bladder infections. Pelvic pain has...
Endometriosis Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
What is endometriosis? Endometriosis is an abnormal growth of endometrial cells like those found in a woman's uterus. Learn about...
Ovarian Cyst Symptoms, Types, and Treatment
What is an ovarian cyst? Ovarian cyst types vary, and they can cause many symptoms, including abdominal pain. Learn about ovarian...
Female Sexual Dysfunction: Treatment for Women's Sexual Disorders
Sexual dysfunction in women is common, from female sexual arousal disorder to other sexual problems. Causes of female sexual...
Ovarian Cancer Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
How common is ovarian cancer and who is at risk? Take our Ovarian Cancer Quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, and treatment for...
Endometriosis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Endometriosis is a common gynecological condition. Take this quiz to learn what happens when a woman has endometriosis as well as...
Picture of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Polcystic ovary syndrome is a condition in women characterized by irregular or no menstrual periods, acne, obesity, and excess...
Related Disease Conditions
Endometriosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Prognosis)
Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines,...
Cysts are sac-like structures that may be filled with gas, liquid, or solid materials. Cysts may produce symptoms and signs...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
There are many types of ovarian cancer, epithelial carcinoma is the most common. Women with a family history of ovarian cancer...
Perimenopause (Symptoms, Signs, Remedies, and Treatments)
Perimenopause is the time in a woman's life when she is approaching menopause. During this time a woman starts to develop...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Sexual Problems (Sex) in Women
Sexual dysfunction refers to a problem that arises during any phase of the sexual response cycle, preventing an individual or...
Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms
The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?Post View 138 Comments
Ovarian Cysts - Treatments
What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?Post View 28 Comments
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience
Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.Post View 18 Comments
Ovarian Cysts - Experience
Please share your experience with ovarian cysts.Post View 4 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
- Abdominal Pain
- Urinary Urgency
- Pelvic Pain
- Painful Intercourse
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Sexual Health for Women -- Mary Jane Minkin, MD -- 05/15/03
- Endometriosis FAQs
- Ovarian Cancer FAQs
- Can Ruptured Ovarian Cysts Rupture Again?
- What Is an Ovarian Remnant?
- Are Ovarian Cysts Dangerous?
- Can Oral Contraceptives Reduce Pelvic Pain?
- Can Ovarian Cysts Be the Start of Cancer?
- What Causes Ovarian Cysts?
- How to Prevent an Ovarian Cyst Rupture?
- Can Ovarinan Cysts Cause Infertility?
- Does Medroxyprogesterone Treat Ovarian Cysts?
- Do Oral Contraceptives Always Prevent Ovarian Cysts?
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Cyst Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
- Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Early Warning Signs, and Risk Factors
- Ask The Experts: Women's Health
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Recognizing Symptoms of Ovarian Cysts
- Is Ovary Removal Tied to Colon Cancer Risk?
- Ovarian Cyst Condition in Mom May Raise Odds for Autism in Child
- Women's Pelvic Pain Often Unreported
- Most Women Don't Need Regular Pelvic Exams, New Guidelines State
- Many Medical Tests, Procedures Not Always Needed
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter