Ovarian cancer may not cause any specific signs or symptoms, particularly in its early stages. When it does cause symptoms, these may be nonspecific and vague. Symptoms and signs can include
- abdominal enlargement or swelling due to the presence of tumor or fluid in the abdomen,
- abdominal fullness,
- early satiety (feeling full early),
- changes in bowel or bladder habits, or
- clothes not fitting well.
Other signs and symptoms can include
Fatigue may be present, but it is considered another nonspecific symptom.
Because the symptoms of ovarian cancer can be very subtle or vague, affected women may not be diagnosed immediately because the condition is not suspected at first. When ovarian cancers are very large, they are more likely to cause symptoms related to obstruction or pressure on other organs.
Causes of ovarian cancer
Related Symptoms & Signs
Other ovarian cancer symptoms and signs
- Abdominal Pain
- Abdominal Swelling
- Change in Bowel Habits
- Early Satiety
- Frequent Urination
- Increased Abdominal Girth
- Leg Swelling
- Loss of Appetite
- Low Back Pain
- Mass or Lump in the Pelvis or Lower Abdomen
- Pelvic Pain
- Shortness of Breath
Main Article on Ovarian Cancer Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Ovarian Cancer Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
How common is ovarian cancer and who is at risk? Take our Ovarian Cancer Quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, and treatment for...
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Signs, Stages
Ovarian cancer symptoms and signs include abdominal pain, bloating, frequent urination, and a feeling of fullness. Ovarian cancer...
Ovarian Cyst Symptoms, Types, and Treatment
What is an ovarian cyst? Ovarian cyst types vary, and they can cause many symptoms, including abdominal pain. Discover how to...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Examples of Medications for Ovarian Cancer Symptoms and Signs
- altretamine (Hexalen)
- capecitabine (Xeloda)
- carboplatin - injection, Paraplatin
- cisplatin - injection, Platinol-AQ
- cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
- docetaxel (Taxotere, Docefrez)
- doxorubicin liposomal - injection, Doxil
- etoposide - injection, Toposar, Vepesid
- etoposide - oral, Vepesid
- gemcitabine - injection, Gemzar
- ifosfamide - injection, Ifex
- irinotecan - injection, Camptosar
- Lynparza (olaparib)
- melphalan - oral, Alkeran
- paclitaxel - injection, Onxol, Taxol
- Rubraca (rucaparib) for Ovarian Cancer
- topotecan - injection, Hycamtin
- Types of Cervical Cancer Medications
- Types of Vaginal Cancer Medications
- Types of Vulvar Cancer Medications
- vinorelbine - injection, Navelbine
- Zejula (niraparib)