Patient Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Stages

What stage was your ovarian cancer when you were diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: SUNGEETA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer third stage. Operation was done but I am still having problems. I continue with chemotherapy but have to take out water from 2 to 5 liters every three weeks. This time after 5th chemotherapy, my belly is inflated but there is no water after verification and doctor has given appointment after 15 days.

Comment from: Kerry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in late April 2011 after being sent to a hospital in Bunbury to have my appendix out. I was working up to that day. When I woke up saw the wound, I knew it was more than my appendix. A couple of days after the operation the doctor told me I had ovarian cancer. I was flown to Perth about 2 weeks later. The wound was infected and there was a lot of fluid to drain out. My appendix had not been removed because the surgeon in Bunbury could not find it due to the cancer. On the 3rd of May, the surgeon operated and removed a large amount of my small bowel, appendix, ovary, fallopian tube and the omentum. After the operation, he was able to confirm that I had Stage 3B grade 1 serous ovarian and peritoneal cancer. I had to be resuscitated the next day as I started to have internal bleeding. This required two blood transfusions. I was in terrible pain. After 9 days in hospital, I went with a gaping hole in my stomach with a drainage bag as the wound would not heal. It took almost three months for my wound to heal. In all, I had 8 rounds of very aggressive chemotherapy and finished on November 2011 and I went into remission from the cancer. I am so grateful to be alive.

Comment from: Issie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had ovarian cancer the first time in March 2010, stage 2C. I received chemotherapy for 5 treatments. I get a blood test every 3 months for CA125. My numbers were 8 for 3 years. In May my CA125 was 14, I was concerned but doctor was not. Two months later my CA125 was 15, once again I was concerned my doctor was not. I was lucky in an unlucky way that I had bladder cancer in 2001 because my other doctor ordered a CT scan. I had surgery in August, my ovarian cancer had returned, stage 2C. I now take chemotherapy pills, etoposide for 6 months. The first time I had ovarian cancer my number was 17; that should have been a sign to test me, needless to say I changed my doctor, and will finish my chemotherapy in February. I am not angry, just happy I listened to myself to get my test and survived cancer a 3rd time.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 23

My sister's gall bladder was removed 4 years back. One and a half month back she felt stomach problem and fatigue and was recently admitted to hospital and 5.5 liters of fluid was taken out of stomach. Further tests were done and it was said that there are multiple tumors in the ovary. Doctor advised to have 3 chemotherapy treatments and then decide for surgery. Treatment is not yet started. Still there is fluid accumulation in the stomach.

View Ovarian Cancer Slideshow Pictures