There are many types of ovarian cancer, epithelial carcinoma is the most common. Women with a family history of ovarian cancer have an increased risk of developing the disease. Some ovarian cancer symptoms include abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, and abnormal vaginal bleeding, however, they usually do not present until the disease has progressed. Early diagnosis is important for successful treatment. Read more: Ovarian Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Ovarian Cancer Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
How common is ovarian cancer and who is at risk? Take our Ovarian Cancer Quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, and treatment for...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Signs, Stages
Learn about ovarian cancer symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments. Follow the progression of ovarian cancer stages from stage 1 to...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Related Disease Conditions
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Gas (intestinal gas) means different things to different people. Everyone has gas and eliminates it by belching, burping, or...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Ovarian Cysts (Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Treatment)
Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled, sac-like structures within an ovary. Symptoms of an ovarian cysts may be: Pain in the belly...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Cancer pain results from the tumor pressing on nerves or invading bones or organs. Cancer treatments like chemotherapy,...
Cancer fatigue is a lack of energy that is caused by cancer or cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiation, biological...
Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Glands): Pictures, Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow and how abnormal they look under a...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
Pelvic pain is described as pain, usually in the lower pelvic area. Causes of acute and chronic pelvic pain in women include...
Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone (SIADH)
Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) is common in older individuals and happens when too much antidiuretic...
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Screening Tests for Cancer
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Clinical Trials
- Colonoscopy (Test, Side Effects, Preparation, Recovery)
- Chest X-Ray
- Barium Enema
- Pap Smear
- Questions To Ask Before Surgery
- Radiation Therapy
- CA 125
- Alpha-Fetoprotein Blood Test
- Advance Medical Directives
- Abdominal Pain
- Leg Swelling
- Vaginal Bleeding
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea)
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
- Ovarian Cancer
- Painful Intercourse
- Pelvic Pain
- Ovarian Cancer FAQs
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Coping with a Bad Disease - Community Counts
- Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Early Warning Signs, and Risk Factors
- Ovarian Cancer: Exercise May Help Prevent
- Angelina Jolie's Mastectomy
- What Are the Early Warning Signs of Ovarian Cancer?
- Can You Get Ovarian Cancer after Tubal Ligation?
- Can You Prevent Ovarian Cancer?
- Complementary and Alternative Cancer Treatments
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Ask The Experts: Women's Health
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Birth Control Pills May Protect Against Most Serious Ovarian Cancer: Study
- Low-Dose Aspirin May Protect Against Ovarian Cancer: Study
- Health Tip: Living With Cancer For Years
- Newer Birth Control Pills Tied to Lower Odds for Ovarian Cancer
- 5 Facts Every Woman Should Know About Ovarian Cancer
- What Every Woman Needs to Know About Ovarian Cancer
- Clinical Trials Balance Out Urban, Rural Cancer Survival Rates
- Genetic Testing for Cancer Lacking for Women on Medicare: Study
- Obamacare May Have Helped More Women Spot Cancer Early
- Daily Low-Dose Aspirin May Be Weapon Against Ovarian Cancer
- Infertility, Not Fertility Drugs, Linked to Raised Risk of Ovarian Cancer
- Early Success in Artificial Ovary Research
- Researchers Making Inroads Against Ovarian Cancer
- Dad Can Pass on Ovarian Cancer Genes, Too
- Ovarian Cancer Screening Still Ineffective, Not Recommended: Panel
- The Pill Lowers Ovarian Cancer Risk, Even for Smokers
- Know the Signs of Ovarian Cancer and Your Risks
- What You May Not Know About Ovarian Cancer
- Talcum Powder/Ovarian Cancer Lawsuit Award Overturned
- Jury Awards $417 Million in Baby Powder Case
- Can a Blood Test Detect a Range of Cancers Earlier?
- Most Women Should Forgo Ovarian Cancer Screening: Panel
- When Is Risk Highest for Women With Breast Cancer Gene Mutations?
- Drug Helps Fight Breast Tumors Tied to 'Cancer Genes'
- Woman Wins $110 Million Verdict in Talcum Powder Cancer Trial
- High Blood Pressure: A Silver Lining for Ovarian Cancer Patients?
- Many Women Who Get Breast Cancer Gene Test Don't Need It
- Too Few High-Risk Women Tested for Breast Cancer Gene: Survey
- Know the Risks, Warning Signs of Ovarian Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer Drug Given Fast-Track Approval
- 'Magic Mushroom' Chemical Eases Cancer Patients' Despair
- Does Baby Powder Cause Ovarian Cancer?
- Doctors Should Promote Breast-Feeding to Patients: Panel
- FDA Warns Ovarian Cancer Tests Not Reliable
- Know Your Risk for Ovarian Cancer -- and the Symptoms
- Are Birth Control Pills Tied to Decline in Ovarian Cancer Deaths?
- Exercise May Help Thwart Ovarian Cancer
- Female Reproductive Tract Not a Sterile Environment, Study Finds
- 1 in 5 Ovarian Cancer Patients Doesn't Get Life-Extending Surgery: Study
- Two-Pronged Chemo Helps Some With Advanced Ovarian Cancer
- Is Ovary Removal Tied to Colon Cancer Risk?
- Breast Cancer Gene Might Lower Women's Fertility: Study
- Gene Tests May Help Predict Outcomes in Advanced Ovarian Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer Is More Than One Disease: Report
- Annual Blood Test Might Help Prevent Deaths From Ovarian Cancer
- Healthy Diet May Lower Black Women's Risk of Ovarian Cancer
- Study Links Having Children to Lower Ovarian Cancer Risk
- Ovarian Cancer Drug Shows Promise With Tough-to-Treat Prostate Tumors
- IVF Tied to Higher Ovarian Cancer Risk?
- Hormone Therapy Safe During Ovarian Cancer?
- Screening All Women for Breast Cancer Genes Not Feasible: Study
- Blood Pressure Drugs Linked to Longer Ovarian Cancer Survival
- Broader Gene Tests for Breast, Ovarian Cancer Might Benefit Some: Study
- 1 in 3 Women Survive Ovarian Cancer a Decade or More: Study
- Lifesaving Chemo for Ovarian Cancer Is Underused
- Birth Control Pills May Cut Women's Odds for Uterine Cancer
- Combo Rx May Boost Ovarian Cancer Outcomes, But Too Few Get It: Study
- Less Chemo for Obese Ovarian Cancer Patients Linked to Worse Survival Rates
- Chemo Before Surgery May Boost Outcomes for Advanced Ovarian Cancer
- Study Sees Improving Survival Odds for Ovarian Cancer
- New Method May Detect Ovarian Cancer Earlier
- Ovary Removal Reduces Breast Cancer Death in BRCA1 Carriers: Study
- Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers Act Differently in Each Woman: Study
- Progress in Battling Advanced Ovarian Cancer
- Angelina Jolie's Choice Not Uncommon for Women With Cancer Gene
- Angelina Jolie Has Ovaries Removed
- More Americans Surviving Cancer Today Than 20 Years Ago
- Study Ties Hormone Therapy to Increased Ovarian Cancer Risk
- Many U.S. Doctors Wary of Genetic Testing: Survey
- Phone Counseling Helps Rural Women With Cancer Gene Tests
- Kids: An Rx for Menopause's Hot Flashes?
- Ovarian Cancer DNA Detected in Vaginal Fluid, Researchers Report
- Removing Healthy Breast of Little Benefit to Breast Cancer Patients: Study
- 'Generally Reassuring' Findings on Fertility Drugs, Women's Cancers
- Most Women Don't Need Regular Pelvic Exams, New Guidelines State
- Pair of Pills Shows Promise for Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Cheaper 'Gene Panel' Screening May Reveal Cancer Risks
- Irregular Periods May Be Risk Factor for Ovarian Cancer, Study Suggests
- Could Daughter's Cancer Risk Be Affected by Father's Age at Birth?
- Excess Weight a Risk Factor for Ovarian Cancer: Report
- Ovarian Cancer Gene May Point to Early Removal of Ovaries: Study
- Daily Aspirin May Guard Against Ovarian Cancer
- Intravenous Vitamin C May Boost Chemo's Cancer-Fighting Power
- Troubled Launch of 'Obamacare' Tops Health News for 2013
- Troubled Launch of 'Obamacare' Tops Health News for 2013
- Only High-Risk Women Need Breast Cancer Gene Test: Experts
- Angelina Jolie's Story Didn't Boost Knowledge of Breast Cancer Risks: Study
- New Test May Help Predict Survival From Ovarian Cancer
- Nearly 60 Percent of Uterine Cancer Cases Preventable: Report
- Most Women Don't Understand Their Breast Cancer Risk: Survey
- New Hope for Early Detection of Ovarian Cancer
- More Women Consider Gene Test After Angelina Jolie Mastectomy Revelation
- Family History of Cancer May Raise Risk for Other Types of Tumors
- Supreme Court Rules That Human Genes Can't Be Patented
- New Drug May Slow Advanced Ovarian Cancer
- Angelina Jolie Will Have Ovaries Removed to Lower Chances of Cancer: Report
- Angelina Jolie's Double Mastectomy: Q&A
- Human Gene Patent Case Goes to Supreme Court
- Experimental Vaccine Shows Promise for Ovarian Cancer
- Breast Cancer Gene Tests Won't Help Most Women: Report
- More Genetic Insights Into 3 Types of Cancer
- Scientists ID Antibody That Might Boost Cancer Therapy
- Many Ovarian Cancer Patients Denied By-the-Book Care, Study Says
- Abdominal 'Chemo Bath' May Extend Survival in Ovarian Cancer Patients
- Ob-Gyn Group Lists Procedures That May Not Be Needed
- Cancer Chemotherapy Tied to Slight Rise in Risk for Leukemia
- Which Cancer Tests Do You Really Need?
- Pap Test to Detect Ovarian, Endometrial Cancers?
- Diabetes Drug Metformin May Fight Cancer
- Quick Survey May Pick Up Ovarian Cancer Warnings: Study
- 3 Quick Questions Help ID Ovarian Cancer Risk
- Gene Study Yields New Clues to Breast Cancer
- Wins in War on Cancer Highlighted in New Report
- U.S. Panel Rejects Ovarian Cancer Screens for Low-Risk Women
- X-Rays May Up Breast Cancer Risk for Women With Certain Genes: Study
- Health Highlights: Aug. 6, 2012
- More Moms Breastfeeding
- Avastin May Help Fight Tough-to-Treat Ovarian Tumors
- U.S. Panel Rejects Ovarian Cancer Screening
- Taller, Heavier Women May Face Higher Ovarian Cancer Risk
- Long-Term Estrogen Therapy Does Up Breast Cancer Risk: Study
- Health Highlights: March 27, 2012
- Black Women, Uninsured Get Worse Ovarian Cancer Care: Study
- Health Highlights: Feb. 21, 2012
- FDA Moves to Head Off Shortages of 2 Cancer Drugs
- Endometriosis Could Raise Risk of 3 Ovarian Cancers
- Fasting Plus Chemo May Help in Cancer Fight: Study
- Popular Diabetes Drug Might Cut Pancreatic Cancer Risk: Study
- Gene Mutations May Boost Ovarian Cancer Survival: Study
- Avastin Delays Ovarian Cancer Progression
- Research Sheds Light on Gene Mutation's Role in Rare Tumors
- Type of Muscular Dystrophy Linked to Raised Cancer Risk
- Family Tree May Affect Diagnosis Age in Some Breast Cancers
- IVF May Raise Risk for Less Aggressive Ovarian Cancer
- Why Many With Breast Implants Fail at Breastfeeding
- Antibody Could Help Predict Ovarian Cancer
- Study: Ovary Removal Doesn't Raise Heart Risk
- Whole-Genome Testing Could Become Diagnosis Tool
- Blood Test May Spot Inherited Ovarian Cancer
- Dogs Can Detect Early Colorectal Cancer
- Hormone Therapy Linked to Ovarian Cancer
- 2 Genes Have Possible Link to Deadly Ovarian Cancer
- Gene Test, Preventive Surgery Save Women's Lives
- Inner Workings of Gene Tied to Breast, Ovarian Cancer Revealed
- Novel Ovarian Cancer Test Shows Promise
- Deadly Cancer Risk Linked to Cell Age
- Exercise Recommended for Cancer Patients
- New Screening Technique for Ovarian Cancer
- Health Tip: Factors that Increase Risk of Ovarian Cancer
- Breastfeeding Cuts Fever Risk After Vaccines
- Study Makes Strides in Understanding Ovarian Cancer
- Breastfeeding Rates Vary by Race, Region
- Pain Relievers May Reduce Cancer Risk
- Good Diet May Aid Ovarian Cancer Survival
- Can Symptoms Predict Ovarian Cancer?
- Combo Test Might Spot Ovarian Cancer Early
- Markers for Ovarian Cancer May Show Up Years Earlier
- Hormone Therapy Raises Ovarian Cancer Risk
- Menstrual Periods: Clues to Ovarian Cancer
- New Insights, Inroads Against Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- Chemo Combo Shows Promise Against Ovarian Cancer
- Catching Ovarian Cancer Early May Miss Aggressive Tumors
- Combo Screening Doesn't Spot Early Ovarian Cancer
- Combo Treatment Best for Melanoma, Advanced Ovarian Cancer
- Ultrasound Beats Blood Test for Gauging Ovarian Cancers: Study
- New Guidelines Should Improve Ovarian Cancer Detection
- Cranberry Could Juice Up Ovarian Cancer Treatment
- Ovarian Cancer Vaccine Might Extend Survival
- Hormone Therapy Extends Lives of Ovarian Cancer Patients
- Ovarian Cancer : 4 Early Symptoms
- Combining PET, CT Scans Can Improve Ovarian Cancer Care
- Coretta Scott King Had Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Treatment: Getting the Support You Need
- Chemotherapy: Eating Well
- Cancer Treatment: Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Cancer Survival - Better & Longer Survival Rates
- Oral Contraceptives and Ovarian Cancer Risk
- Cancer Treatment - Managing Eating Problems
- Cancer Treatment - Weight Gain
- Cancer Treatment: Pre-Treatment Eating Tips
- Whole Body Scanning, Do You Really Need One?
- Cancer Pain, A Guide for You and Your Family
- Pain Control Record Chart
- Ovarian Cancer Awareness
- Cancer and Sexual Health
- Chemotherapy and Other Cancer Treatment Side Effects