Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone fracture. Unless one experiences a fracture, a person may have osteoporosis for decades without knowing it. Treatment for osteoporosis may involve medications that stop bone loss and increase bone strength and bone formation, as well as quitting smoking, regular exercise, cutting back on alcohol intake, and eating a calcium- and vitamin D-rich balanced diet. Read more: Osteoporosis Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Osteoporosis Quiz: What is Osteoporosis?
What are the causes, symptoms, and risk factors of osteoporosis? Quiz yourself about vitamin deficiency, maintaining bone...
Vitamin D Quiz: Test Your IQ of Dietary Supplements
What happens to the body when there is a vitamin D deficiency? Take the Vitamin D Quiz to find out what you may be missing....
Picture of Hip Fracture
Hip fractures typically occur as a result of a fall. See a picture of Hip Fracture and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Osteoporosis
Thinning of the bones with reduction in bone mass due to depletion of calcium and bone protein. See a picture of Osteoporosis and...
Picture of Osteoporosis Progression
Bone mass (bone density) is the amount of bone present in the skeletal structure. See a picture of Osteoporosis Progression and...
Picture of Hip
Hip pain is the sensation of discomfort in or around the hip joint, where the upper end (head) of the thigh bone (femur) fits...
Osteoporosis Super-Foods for Strong Bones With Pictures
What sweetener is loaded with calcium? These bone-building super foods can help stave off osteoporosis, and many of them will...
What Is Osteoporosis? Treatment, Symptoms, Medication
Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by low bone mass and density. Osteoporosis causes symptoms of weak, thin, fragile bones....
Menopause & Perimenopause: Symptoms, Signs
What is menopause? What are the signs of menopause? What age does menopause start? Learn about menopause and perimenopause...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Back Pain: Find Relief, Treat Your Back Pain
Back pain conditions are very common. Learn the truth and get the facts behind myths, remedies, causes and treatment for back...
Vitamin D Deficiency: How Much Vitamin D Is Enough?
What does vitamin D do? Learn about vitamin D benefits and discover foods that are high in vitamin D. Explore vitamin D...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Benefits of Exercise: Fitness Facts Prove the Benefits of Working Out
These fitness facts explain why to get in shape. Check out these health facts on the benefits of exercise....
9 Signs of Perimenopause
Perimenopause occurs before menopause as estrogen levels begin to change. This can cause menopause like symptoms such as hot...
Ankylosing Spondylitis: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
What is Ankylosing spondylitis (AS)? Ankylosing spondylitis is arthritis of the spine. It causes symptoms like stiffness and...
Related Disease Conditions
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone due to an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased heart rate,...
Marfan syndrome is hereditary (genetic) condition affecting connective tissue. A person with Marfan syndrome may exhibit the...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Stroke Causes, Warning Signs, Symptoms, and Treatments
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Hyperparathyroidism is a disorder of the parathyroid glands. There are two types of hyperparathyroidism, primary and secondary....
Ehlers-Danlos syndromes are genetic disorders that include symptoms such as loose joints, tissue weakness, easy bruising, and...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Treatment (PBC)
Primary biliary sclerosis (PBC) is thought to be an autoimmune disorder that involves the deterioration of the liver's small bile...
Perimenopause (Symptoms, Signs, Remedies, and Treatments)
Perimenopause is the time in a woman's life when she is approaching menopause. During this time a woman starts to develop...
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
Lumbar stenosis can be caused by degenerative arthritis (the most common cause), tumor, infection, or metabolic disorders...
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung)
A pulmonary embolism (PE) occurs when a piece of a blood clot from deep vein thrombosis (DVT) breaks off and travels to an artery...
Kyphosis is defined as an outward curvature of the thoracic spine (upper back). Abnormal kyphosis results in the appearance of a...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
A broken foot is a common injury. There are 26 bones in the foot, and these bones can be broken (fractured) in a variety of...
Amenorrhea (including hypothalmic amenorrhea) is a condition in which there is an absence of menstrual periods in a woman. There...
Low Testosterone (Low T)
Low testosterone (low-T) can be caused by conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, liver or kidney disease, hormonal...
Osteopenia is a bone condition characterized by bone loss that is not as severe as in osteoporosis. Bone fracture is the typical...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Knee injuries, especially meniscus tears, are common in contact sports. Symptoms and signs of a torn meniscus include knee pain,...
Flatfoot (Pes Planus)
Flatfoot is a disorder in which the foot's entire sole is touching the ground while standing. Symptoms and signs of flatfoot...
Rheumatology is the study of rheumatic diseases and conditions. Rheumatologists are internal medicine physicians who treat these...
Local ResourcesFind a local Internist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Osteoporosis FAQs
- Vitamin D FAQs
- Osteoporosis - Bone Up On Estrogen...Women's Health
- Osteoporosis - Low-fat Dieting Does Not Reduce Calcium Intake
- Osteoporosis - Calcium &Vitamin D Prevent Bone Loss From Cortisone
- Osteoporosis - EVISTA..... Wellness for Women?
- Kidney Stones and Calcium
- Seniors - More Exercise, Less Broken Hips
- Vertebroplasty Treatment For Spine Fractures
- Osteoporosis Prevention & Treatment
- Osteoporosis Prevention & Treatment - Exercise & Estrogen
- Osteoporosis Prevention & Treatment - Medications, Fluoride, Monitoring
- Corticosteroid Side Effects
- Hip Fracture Prevention - Hip Protectors
- Hormone Therapy in Survivors of Breast Cancer
- Thyroid Disease, Osteoporosis and Calcium
- Osteoporosis - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy . . . Current Concepts
- Hormone Therapy - HRT, HT, ET, EPT, What Does it All Mean?
- National Arthritis Meeting 2003
- SLE Report - 2003 Arthritis Conference
- Osteoporosis Report - 2003 Arthritis Conference
- Osteoporosis Linked to Bone Gene
- National Arthritis Meeting 2004
- Osteoporosis: 2004 Perspectives
- Pain (Acute and Chronic)
- Bone Mineral Density Test: How Often?
- Can Synthroid Taken for Hypothyroidism Cause Osteoporosis?
- What Is Osteopenia?
- How Do You Treat a Spine Fracture from Osteoporosis?
- What Are the Best Exercises for Osteoporosis?
- How Can You Prevent Osteoporosis?
- What Food Can I Eat to Prevent Osteoporosis?
- Does Hashimoto's Affect Heart Disease and Osteoporosis?
- Disease Prevention From a Doctor's Perspective
- Who should get a bone density test?
- Does Vitamin D Deficiency Cause Symptoms?
- Annual Physical Exam
- Ask The Experts: Women's Health
- Osteoporosis, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Prevention-Audio Medical Podcast
- Osteoporosis: 2005 Arthritis Conference Highlights
- Boniva for Osteoporosis - Audio Medical Podcast
Medications & Supplements
- calcitonin spray - nasal, Fortical, Miacalcin
- alendronate 70 mg weekly solution - oral, Fosamax
- risedronate weekly - oral, Actonel
- alendronate - oral, Fosamax
- alendronate weekly - oral, Fosamax
- calcitonin salmon - injection, Calcimar, Miacalcin
- alendronate 40 mg - oral, Fosamax
- risedronate - oral, Actonel
- estradiol/norethindrone - oral, Activella
- estradiol, Alora, Climara, Delestrogen, Depo-Estradiol, Divigel, Elestrin, Estrace, and Others
- Didronel (etidronate)
- phenytoin (Dilantin)
- alendronate, Fosamax, Binosto
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- estrogens conjugated (Premarin)
- lansoprazole (Heartburn Relief 24 Hour, Heartburn Treatment 24 Hour, Prevacid 24)
- omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegerid)
- conjugated equine estrogens and medroxyprogesterone acetate, Prempro, Premphase
- estropipate, Ogen
- medroxyprogesterone, Provera, Depo-Provera, Depo-Sub Q Provera 104
- esterified estrogens (Menest)
- Evista (raloxifene)
- esterified estrogens and methyltestosterone, Estratest, Estratest HS
- estrogens conjugated synthetic (Cenestin)
- risedronate (Actonel, Atelvia)
- rabeprazole (Aciphex)
- calcium carbonate (Caltrate 600, Os-Cal 500, Tums)
- calcium supplements - oral
- Anabolic Steroids (Oral Androgens)
- Forteo (teriparatide)
- estrogen/progestin - oral, Activella, Femhrt, Ortho-Prefe
- testosterone gel (Androgel)
- multivitamins (includes prenatal vitamins) - oral
- pamidronate - injection, Aredia
- calcium supplement/vitamin d - oral, Citracal + D, Os-Cal, Oyster S
- Boniva (ibandronate)
- Reclast (zoledronic acid)
- testosterone topical solution (Axiron)
- calcium salts (Cal-Citrate, Calcitrate, Calcium Chloride, Rolaids, Oyster Shell, Tums, and others)
- Biologics (Biologic Drug Class)
Prevention & Wellness
- Falls Are Increasingly Lethal for Older Americans
- Many Middle-Aged Men May Have Signs of Thinning Bones
- After a Stroke, Your Bones Need Care
- Evenity Approved for Osteoporotic Women
- Extra Calcium Safe for the Aging Eye
- AHA News: Belly Fat Ups Older Women's Heart Risks, Even Without Obesity
- Pooch Peril: More Elderly Are Fracturing Bones While Dog Walking
- What's the Right Age to Test for Osteoporosis?
- Expert Panel Says Two Back Pain Procedures May Be Useless
- Frailty a Risk Factor for Dementia
- Study Examines Link Between Type 1 Diabetes, Broken Bones
- Younger Breast Cancer Survivors Suffer More Bone Loss From Treatment
- Healthful Diet & Healthy Bones
- Vitamin D Supplements Won't Build Bone Health in Older Adults: Study
- Bone Drug Could Be Helping More Women: Study
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Bone Fractures
- Later-Life Fractures Up Risk of Early Death
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Male Osteoporosis
- Binge Drinking: A Hazard for Teen Bones?
- Anxious Women May Want to Keep an Eye on Their Bone Health
- Bone Drug 'Holiday' May Raise Fracture Risk
- More Doubt Cast on Surgery for Spinal Compression Fractures
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Osteoporosis
- Smog May Harm Your Bones, Too
- Exercise, Not Vitamin D, Recommended to Prevent Falls
- Fracture Risk Higher for Seniors With Diabetes
- It's Never Too Soon to Safeguard Your Bones
- Could Your Office Job Rob You of Vitamin D?
- Even Your Bones Can Get Fat, Mouse Study Suggests
- Osteoporosis Fractures May Be Deadlier for Men
- Older Bones Benefit From Dairy Plus Vitamin D
- Hip Fracture's Link to Early Death May Last Years
- Young Thyroid Cancer Survivors May Face Long-Term Health Risks
- Another Menopause Side Effect: Shortness of Breath?
- Less Than Half of Older Hip Fracture Patients Fully Recover: Study
- Review Says Calcium Supplements Won't Harm the Heart
- Better Way to Treat Seniors' Ankle Fractures?
- Marijuana May Blunt Bone Health
- Calcium Supplements May Not Be Heart Healthy
- Stress Might Undercut Benefits of Healthy Diet for Women
- Health Tip: Osteoporosis Affects Men, Too
- Calcium Supplements Might Raise Older Women's Dementia Risk
- Injected Drug May Help Fight Osteoporosis in Women
- Living Past 90 Doesn't Doom You to Disease, Disability
- Health Tip: Osteoporosis Shouldn't Be Ignored
- Baby's Early Walking May Mean Stronger Bones as Teen
- Health Tip: Going Low-Calorie?
- Men Miss Out on Bone Loss Screening
- Seniors: Pump Iron, Live Longer
- Cow's Milk Allergy in Childhood May Lead to Weaker Bones: Study
- Getting Active After Knee Replacement Might Raise Hip Fracture Risk
- Could ADHD Drugs Lower Kids' Bone Density?
- Mediterranean Diet May Help Lower Hip Fracture Risk in Older Women
- Feeling Old? Your Risk for Hospitalization May Rise
- High-Impact Exercise Strengthens Men's Bones, Researchers Say
- Researchers: Retract Study That Claimed Nitroglycerin Might Boost Bone Density
- Serious Illness Affects Bone Health
- Breast Cancer Drugs Battle Disease's Return
- Soy Protein May Protect Against Osteoporosis
- Black Tea Tied to Fewer Fractures in Older Women
- Added Calcium May Not Help Older Bones: Studies
- Hip-Fracture Surgery Risk Not Just Due to Age, Study Finds
- Does Hopping Help Your Hips?
- Growth Hormone May Lower Odds of Fractures in Older Women
- 1 in 4 Senior Women in U.S. Has Osteoporosis: CDC
- Boy, Girl Newborns Show Spinal Differences: Study
- Vitamin D Supplements Won't Strengthen Older Women's Bones: Study
- Targeted Workouts May Strengthen Men's Bones in Middle Age
- For Women, No Link Between Kidney Stones, Osteoporosis
- Strong Bones After 50? Women May Not Need Next Test Until 65
- Too Many Women Who Need Bone Screening Aren't Getting It
- Men Should Be Screened for Osteoporosis, Too
- Weight-Loss Surgery and Women's Osteoporosis Risk
- Health Tip: Preventing Health Problems in Seniors
- Could Weak Bones, Sudden Hearing Loss Be Linked?
- Stronger Muscles = Healthier Bones in Kids
- Health Tip: Live Healthier to Help Prevent Osteoporosis
- Bone-Building Drug Strengthened Hips, Spines of Frail Women in Study
- Painful Knee Arthritis May Be Linked to Premature Death
- Early Scans for Back Pain May Do Little to Help Seniors
- Health Tip: Understanding Osteoporosis in Men
- Falls on the Rise Among U.S. Seniors
- Life Satisfaction Linked to Bone Health in Older Women
- Too Few Prostate Cancer Patients Get Bone-Strengthening Meds: Study
- Statins Won't Help Protect Bones, Study Finds
- Men Less Likely Than Women to Get Bone Test After Fracture
- Is Milk Your Friend or Foe?
- Osteoporosis Screening Guidelines May Miss Younger Women at Risk
- Health Tip: Know the Risk Factors for Osteoporosis
- The Dangers of Thinning Bones as Men Age
- Osteoporosis Drugs Work, But Review Finds No Clear Winner
- Osteoporosis Drugs' Long-Term Use Needs More Research: FDA
- Novel Osteoporosis Drug Could Change Treatment: Study
- Health Tip: Exercise to Help Prevent Osteoporosis
- Ladies, Take 5 Steps to Avoid Osteoporosis
- Too Little Vitamin D May Hasten Disability as You Age
- Bone Marrow Fat May Raise Osteoporosis Risk, Study Says
- Health Tip: Protect Against Osteoporosis
- Vitamin D Levels Vary by Season
- Combo Drug Therapy May Work Best to Strengthen Bones: Study
- Combo Drug Therapy May Work Best to Strengthen Bones: Study
- Gene Discoveries Give Hope Against 'Brittle Bone' Disease
- Health Tip: Strengthen Your Bones
- Lifestyle Might Curb Loss of Height That Comes With Age
- Healthy Older Women Advised Against Taking Calcium
- Health Tip: You May Need a Bone Density Test
- Teen Girls Who Smoke May Up Risk for Future Bone Disease
- Steroid Injections for Back Pain May Lower Bone Mass
- Deep Belly Fat Could Weaken Men's Bones, Study Suggests
- Drug Slows Knee Osteoarthritis Progression
- Health Issues Add to Risk of Vitamin D Deficiency, Study Says
- Men May Benefit From Osteoporosis Drug, Too: Study
- Back Pain? Steroid Shots May Raise Fracture Risk
- Hormones May Not Raise Alzheimer's Risks
- Panel Advises Against Hormones to Prevent Disease
- Blood Test May Help Define Breast Cancer Risk in Older Women
- Calcium May Help Prevent Hormone Disorder
- Many Pedestrians Hit By Cars Are Distracted By Mobile Devices
- Quitting Drinking May Help Alcoholics' Bone Loss
- Vitamin D Supplements Won't Help Cholesterol Levels: Study
- Teen Girls Need Bone Health Advice to Stave Off Osteoporosis
- Health Tip: Help Keep Your Bones Healthy
- Health Tip: Crohn's Disease Can Cause Complications
- Newer Bone Drug Better for Advanced Breast Cancer Patients: Study
- A Few Hours of Weekly Exercise May Help Women's Bones
- Moderate Drinking May Help Older Women's Bones
- Higher Doses of Vitamin D Prevent Fractures in Older Women
- Muscle Mass Linked to Bone Health in Some Parts of Body
- Exercise Program Boosts Health After Lung Transplant: Study
- Low Vitamin D Linked to Weight Gain in Older Women
- Vitamin D and Calcium Pills: Task Force Report
- Two-Thirds of Osteo Hip Fractures Occur After 80: U.S. Study
- Panel: Hormone Therapy Not for Disease Prevention
- Calcium Supplements May Raise Heart Attack Risk
- More Research Points to Long-Term Ills With Bone Drugs
- Some Sports May Help Protect Men's Bones
- Early Menopause Tied to Osteoporosis in 29-Year Study
- Health Tip: Recognize Common Symptoms of Menopause
- Certain Genetic Regions May Be Tied to Osteoporosis
- Soy Supplements May Cool Hot Flashes: Study
- Health Highlights: April 6, 2012
- Many Medical Tests, Procedures Not Always Needed
- Osteoporosis Drugs May Lead to Eye Trouble: Study
- FDA OKs Generic Boniva for Bone Loss
- Health Tip: Celiac Disease May Trigger These Symptoms
- Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants Have Higher Fail Rates
- Health Tip: Lower Your Risk for Osteoporosis
- Mouse Study Suggests Vitamin E May Weaken Bones
- Health Tip: Seniors Need Exercise, Too
- New Guidelines to Help Breast Cancer Survivors
- Exercise Can Build Young Adults' Bones, Study Finds
- Drug-Delivery Microchip Could Replace Daily Injections
- Stopping Bone Drug Cuts Risk of Second Thigh Fracture: Study
- Female Soccer Players May Face Health Problems: Study
- Osteoporosis Medication Linked to Unusual Thigh Fractures
- Breast Cancer Drug May Weaken Bones, Study Finds
- Heart Failure, Osteoporosis Go 'Hand-in-Hand': Researchers
- Health Highlights: Feb. 6, 2012
- New Heart Failure Risks: Fractures and Memory Problems
- Heartburn Drugs Linked to Hip Fractures in Women
- Factors Linked to Age of Onset of Menopause Identified
- Caffeine May Alter Women's Estrogen Levels
- Health Tip: Exercise for Healthier Bones
- Bone Density at Age 67 May Predict Later Bone Health
- Weight Loss: Is Bypass Better than Banding?
- Eating Disorders Can Last Well Beyond Teen Years
- Early Ovary Removal May Raise Arthritis, Osteoporosis Risk
- Bone Drugs May Also Battle Breast Cancer, Researchers Say
- Some Fish Oil Supplements Fishy on Quality
- FDA Panel Unclear on Osteoporosis Drug Labels
- Osteoporosis Drugs' Safety Subject of FDA Panel
- FDA: Osteoporosis Drug Reclast Ups Kidney Failure Risk
- Exercise a 'Wonder Drug' for Cancer Survival
- Early-Stage MS Patients May Have Fracture Risk
- Facial Wrinkles Linked to Lower Bone Density
- New Guidelines Suggest Higher Doses of Vitamin D
- Diabetes Patients May Have Higher Fracture Risk
- Study Links Osteoporosis Drugs With Fractures
- Study: Ovary Removal Doesn't Raise Heart Risk
- Calcium Supplements May Increase Heart Risk
- Use of Dietary Supplements on the Rise
- Some Athletic Girls Risk Stress Fractures
- Low Risk of Jaw Problems With Oral Osteoporosis Drugs
- New Evidence of Fracture Risk From Bone Drugs
- Nitroglycerin May Increase Bone Density
- Osteoporosis Drugs Linked to Lower Cancer Risk
- Breast Cancer Survivors May Face Early Hip Fracture Risk
- Celiac, Crohn's Disease Share Common Genetic Links
- New Recommendations for Osteoporosis Screening
- Osteoporosis Drugs Linked to Rare Fractures
- Osteoporosis Drugs May Be Linked to Cancer Risk
- Prior Fractures Could Raise Older Women's Odds for Osteoporosis
- Health Tip: Who Is at Greater Risk for Osteoporosis?
- No Significant Esophageal Cancer Risk From Osteoporosis Drug: Study
- More Evidence Links Fractures to Diabetes Drugs
- Health Tip: Preventing Osteoporosis
- Vitamins D and E May Affect Dementia Risk
- Prolia Approved for Post-Menopausal Women With Osteoporosis
- Osteoporosis Patients Underestimate Fracture Risk
- Only Rare Fractures Linked to Osteoporosis Drugs
- Long-Term Use of Osteoporosis Drugs Linked to Fractures
- Drug Cures Osteoporosis in Mice
- Serotonin May Be a Key to Treat Osteoporosis
- Study Links Osteoporosis Drugs to Jaw Trouble
- Osteoporosis Drug Seems to Shrink Breast Tumors
- Virtual Colonoscopy Can Spot Osteoporosis
- 7 Potential Complications of Untreated Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- The Truth About Vitamin D
- Links Between Oral and General Health
- Teaching Old Muscles New Tricks
- Chronic Pain: Specific References for Chronic Pain
- Exercise & Fitness: Weekly Schedule
- Exercise: Endurance and Flexibility Daily Record
- Medicare Pays - Get the Most from It!
- Boniva for Osteoporosis
- Osteoporosis: Building Stronger Bones
- Milk for Your Bones?
- Osteoporosis and Men
- Powerful Bones, Powerful Girls
- Women and Body Image
- Smoking in Men
- US Future Full of Fractures
- Health Benefits Of Physical Activity
- Arthritis and Exercise, How Do I Start?
- Women's Knees, How to Avoid Injury
- Osteoporosis: New Drug Forteo
- Osteoporosis in Men
- Osteoporosis- Older Adults & Bone Loss
- Osteoporosis Risk Factors