Osteoarthritis is a type of joint damage.
Signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis include pain in the affected joints that occurs after repetitive use. Since the condition can affect many different joints, this can lead to hand pain, hip pain, knee pain, lower back pain, neck pain, or any kind of joint pain. Other associated symptoms and signs include joint swelling, joint stiffness, joint creaking or crackling, and loss of range of motion. Joint deformity can occur in severe cases.
Causes of osteoarthritis
Aging, wear and tear on the joints, inherited conditions, and injury from trauma or disease cause osteoarthritis. OA causes the breakdown and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Osteoarthritis occurs more frequently with advancing age and occurs in different locations throughout the body.
Other osteoarthritis (oa) symptoms and signs
- Crackling Joints
- Hand Pain
- Hip Pain
- Joint Deformity
- Joint Pain
- Joint Stiffness
- Knee Pain
- Loss of Range of Motion
- Lower Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Swollen Joints
Main Article on Osteoarthritis (OA) Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis and Joint Pain
Learn about osteoarthritis and exercises that relieve knee osteoarthritis pain, stiffness and strengthen the knee joint and...
Exercises for Osteoarthritis -- Yoga, Swimming, & More
Check out this slideshow on Active Living From Day to Night with Osteoarthritis. Even with arthritis you can keep your active...
Fun With Kids? Don't Let Arthritis Stop You
You can still have lots of fun with children despite arthritis. Our experts uncover ways to spend time with your kids or...
Osteoarthritis (OA): Treatment, Symptoms, Diagnosis
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disease most often affecting major joints such as knees, hands, back, or hips....
Osteoarthritis: 15 Tips to Improve Daily Living With OA
Osteoarthritis joint pain can make it hard to carry out activities of daily living. Cartilage destruction can cause symptoms like...
Picture of Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis that is caused by the breakdown and eventual loss of the cartilage of one or more...
Tips for Healthy Joints: Exercise, Nutrition, & More in Pictures
Dealing with joint pain and arthritis? Learn why weight matters--and why NOT to stretch before exercise. See these solutions for...
Examples of Medications for Osteoarthritis (OA) Symptoms and Signs
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- celecoxib (Celebrex)
- ColciGel (colchicinum 4X)
- Cymbalta (duloxetine)
- Duexis (ibuprofen and famotidine)
- hyaluronic acid (Restylane, Perlane)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin)
- Ketorolac vs. diclofenac
- Ketorolac vs. ketoprofen
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Otezla (apremilast) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- Pennsaid (diclofenac sodium)
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- Side Effects of Feldene (piroxicam)
- tramadol (Ultram)
- Types of Arthritis Medications
- Vimovo (naproxen and esomeprazole magnesium)
- Vivlodex (meloxicam)