Patient Comments: Osteoarthritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your osteoarthritis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: susanashworth2, Published: November 17

The pain from tennis elbow has started to wake me up and I cannot stretch my arm out because of the pain and my arm feels stiff and hurts a lot.

Comment from: Gracie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have osteoarthritis in my hands. I have problems taking medications for the pain, so my option was to surgically remove the joint in my index finger and have a screw put in my finger. I am amazed at the results and pain free. I have had my thumb joint repaired with a part of my tendon from my forearm. It isn't for everyone but it worked for me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have lived with chronic pain since my early adult life. Only a few years ago, several doctors later I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis (OA). Of course, I was started on a course of NSAIDS - sulindac, ibuprofen, naproxen and cortisone injections. I now see along with my doctor, a naturopath. She has me on a schedule of easier on the stomach treatments, and has also been able to tell from a saliva test that my adrenal gland is not working (likely never has and may have been the cause of my menstrual problems and inability to have children). She has added in an adrenal response to 'kick start' the adrenal gland which should increase my natural cortisol production (pain relief). My treatment plan includes: Omega 3 (Red Krill) 1000 to 5000 mg twice a day (BID); evening primrose 1000 mg BID; turmeric-bromelain 2 caps bid; vitamin D 4000IU BID; vitamin B12 1200 mcg once a day; naproxen 220 mg BID; adrenal response 1 tablet at 8:30 and another at 3:30; black cohosh 40 mg BID; Vitex 'Chaste Tree Berry' 2 caps BID (promotes production of luteinizing hormone (LH) and progesterone). Like many others with OA, I continue to keep mobile, I use the elliptical trainer, am an avid gardener, I go walking and swimming, and my work is physical, though some days a challenge. I also use heat, ice and many types of topical application to soothe. My OA affects all my joints, some more severe than others. I cannot remember what life is like without pain… sometimes I hope for death so I can be without the pain.

Comment from: jkd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I am a 58 year old male retired physical therapist, involved most of my life in weightlifting, martial arts, and all sports having to do with the beach and water. While sparring I injured my right knee after throwing a high kick. After the pain set in I could tell it was a medial meniscus tear. I have seen 6 orthopedic surgeons over the past 2 years with no resolve for diagnosis of osteoarthritis and possible medial meniscus tear. As a physical therapist I addressed the symptoms with an appropriate protocol with no success. I am frustrated as to why I have not received an injection nor been given an MRI as is the suggested protocol. I have treated the injury with stretching, open chain non weight bearing exercise, hydrotherapy, moderate progressive resistance exercise, diet and appropriate rest. Stretching gives me the most relief. Oh yes, and NSAIDS and ice as indicated. Due to this episode and the lack of interest by our medical professionals, I have terminated my license and will suffer with my condition. I have lost all faith in orthopedic surgeons, and as a former orthopedic physical therapist I refuse to treat their patients. If there is a positive response to a McMurray test, something should be done for confirmation. Nothing is not acceptable.

Comment from: rodney, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2011. I have had Ivor Lewis esophagectomy and radiochemotherapy, but at the latest gastroscopy the cancer had recurred. I am convinced that it is unbeatable now as I have no options left.

Comment from: Joan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I would like to know if osteoarthritis is painful 24/7. I have been given many different medications and nothing is easing the pain.

Comment from: Archana, Published: March 24

The pain in my left leg started about 15 days ago. Truly I do not know how to fully describe it. First, as of now it is not disturbing my day to day activities and is not always present. But at different times of the day different parts of the left gives a stinging kind of feeling. Sometimes it is the lower portion of the thigh, sometimes it is the knee, at other times it is the front of the lower leg. While lying down I find it sometimes laborious to lift my left leg and turn my body. But not always. While I touch those parts, the pain is not there. This situation has been there for quite some time that I feel that it could not be normal and that some care is needed but I really do not know as to which specialist I should approach.

Comment from: jane, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 30

I am a training clinical officer and once was approached with a 54 years client with a history of back pains for almost 7 years. Probing on his occupation, he said he is a simple farmer. He was very much concerned that with the pain he is not able to bend his back for a long time. In my management I ordered an x-ray film which showed prominent bone outgrowths on his spinal bones and worn out cartilages. To my differentials it was a typical degenerative arthritis. After some time the bone outgrowths seemed to be more prominent than before which showed that in future after some more years these outgrowths would meet but I was afraid to suggest surgery since from books I read that recurrence with rapid growth of these intruding bones is more likely.

Comment from: Wendy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am 60 and have already had both knees replaced and one hip. In 2 months I go in for the first shoulder replacement. Being heavy all my life (but still very active hiking, canoeing, swimming, camping, biking) I was led to believe the joint damage was as a result of the weight. I could see that with the load bearing joints but the OA is also in both shoulders and is starting in my neck. I suspect it's what is also causing the pain in my back as the x-rays of a chiropractor have shown. Since my mother had it and my dad's mom also, heredity is probably playing a part. Apart from the replacements, daily doses of Tylenol 1's and ibuprofen get me by. Since the hip replacement, the unevenness of the leg lengths is a contributing factor to the low back pain. I look forward to getting back to the gym once the shoulders are done. I still manage to work part time as a banquet hall bartender but know that those days are severely numbered, at least right now.

Comment from: Optimistic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I had a total knee replacement age 54 after suffering for many years (tough operation but for me the results have been excellent). The OA was due to trauma, multiple skiing accidents where I perhaps could have followed advice more closely (young and bullet proof!). My other knee is in line for the same treatment and I have OA in both ankles. I have had a back injury (a lifting accident) and I suspect my numb arms are related to OA in my spine. Oh well! Life goes on. I find Voltaren (Diclofonac) a great relief, having taken a break from it when I found I had reached a tolerance and it was ineffective. Working well at the moment though! I am now looking at diet. Have also used glucosamine with condroiton and fish oil, heat rubs, wheat bags, electric blanket and when turned off (of course) a hot water bottle. I walk, bike, work, play (non-impact!)And I have no intentions of stopping. Some days though you just wish you could get pain free.

Comment from: doveums, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was doing jumping jacks 2 years ago and heard something pull/pop in my left knee. I went to the emergency room later that night, they did x-rays, and said it was only a sprain. A week later I saw the orthopedic surgeon and he said it was nothing just throw away the brace, I did exactly that and ended up in the emergency room a week later with a diagnosis of degenerative osteoarthritis.

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I had surgery on my left thumb about 5 years ago. They performed the surgery that required taking a piece of my tendon or ligament from my left arm and wrapped it between the joints of my lower thumb. I had amazing results with this type of surgery. I am now taking two steroid shots in my right thumb until I decide to have the same surgery (which my Doctor is pushing for). They help for 2 to 3 months and then I go back and get two more shots. Yesterday I went to the VA hospital to get my shots and almost fell and landed hard on my left heel. Now I'm in a boot and waiting for an ortho consult for a fractured bone spur in my heel. Arthritis is an ugly thing.

Comment from: katiet12810, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I just found out I have osteoarthritis in my spine. I am only 17 years old and nobody knows what the cause of it could be. Before diagnosis I was suffering with severe pain in my lower back and hips whenever I did anything that involved moving. It would take me a long while to get out of bed in the morning to the point where I had to finally begin online schooling for my senior year. I finally talked my parents into bringing me into a doctor for my pain as they thought the only reason I was saying I was in pain so often was for attention. I have tried the steroid injections but had a major allergic reaction to the medication so right now I'm in a rut with my treatment. Pretty much the only thing I can do now is wait for my doctor to figure out if fusion surgery will be good for my problem. I feel very badly for everyone who has to suffer with something like this on a daily basis as I do.

Comment from: lucy lowe, 45-54 Female Published: November 05

Just after Christmas this year, I went out for a walk with my husband. There was a broken pavement and my foot caught and I was propelled forward. As I swung around I felt the most tremendous pain as something snapped in my leg. I pulled ligaments in my left foot, I went to the hospital and went home to recover. I was on crutches for several weeks due to the severity of my injury. In the meantime my right foot started to ache, when I went to physio for my left ankle the physiotherapist discovered that I had 'inflammation' on my right foot due to bearing the weight of both ankles. She treated me for this over a period of three months, but ten months later. I discovered that I have a condition called 'Non insertional Achilles Tendinopathy' This was diagnosed by an Orthopedic Consultant, now a X-ray taken to determine what was happening to my foot (painful stiff in mornings and a small hard lump and localized swelling) has shown early 'osteoarthritic type changes' would anyone know that the injury would have caused this?

Comment from: ken, 45-54 Male Published: September 25

I was a power lifter for 20 years. I quit when I turned 36 because I was experiencing a lot of joint pain. I am now 45 years old and my joint pain has gotten much worse. My wife and I continued to be backpackers for many years, but no longer go on long backpacking trips do to my joints being so sore. We quit backpacking at 42. In the last 3 years my joint pain has spread to my left and right ankle, my left knee, some in the right, and minor pain in my left hip. I also have a siadic nerve problem on my left side do to numbness from my hip to just above my knee on the outside of my leg. Also, some light back pain to go with it. I do experience light stabbing pain in my femur muscle on my left and right leg. It feels like deep tissue pain for a second and then it's gone.

Comment from: L kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I am 49 and three months back, I have severe pain in both knees, I couldn't bend my knee, it feel so tight, and sitting on low chair, standing up, and walking became a problem. I went to a doctor, he diagnosed osteoarthritis and told me my knees are swelling inside, prescribe some medicines. I am quite alright now although climbing the stairs is still a bit difficult, I feel I'll be much better if I lose some weight. I follow the muscle strengthening exercises regularly, and try not to stand for long hours, it really helps, and I am not letting this osteoarthritis get the better of me. Not ever.

Comment from: charmaine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 40. I recently found out I have osteoarthritis. Thinking back, there were many signs over the last three years. My feet felt so tired after every day chores. Then getting dressed became a task, especially jeans. When I sat, I had to tap my legs because they were numb. Then two weeks ago, I couldn't get out of my bed because it was so painful. I cried for two nights in pain because the pain gets worse at night. I'm going to beat it though.

Comment from: mcdonaldk1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have used NSAIDs including naproxen and ibuprofen. Both have caused my stomach to be more sensitive. Aspirin (especially enteric coated) does not seem to upset my stomach. I have had both partial knee replacements and anticipate full knee replacements in the not too distant future. I have had cortisone injections in my knee that provided relief. Darvocet provided good nighttime relief. I now take Tylenol with codeine (300/30) and some new NSAID called methotrexate. I just started them since darvocet was taken off the market. I do not find them as effective for nighttime relief. I also find that I have vivid dreaming with their use.

Comment from: repet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I suffer from osteoarthritis as well as rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and insulin dependent diabetes. Recently I have developed very painful nodules on both hands. At first I thought I had stickers in my fingers, but later found out there were no stickers there. My fingers look like I have deep stickers imbedded in them!!!!

Comment from: johnny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I am 57 and worked as a plumber all my working life, bending copper pipes over my knees more or less every day, I now suffer really bad pain in my elbow, knee and shoulder joints. I can't even hold a phone to my ear without my elbows seizing up. I think my problems are work related and I have tried all sorts of treatments without any success.

Comment from: mett, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I am 32 and mother of two small boy I started experiencing sharp shock like pain in my left hip and left shoulder which varies with the weather over the past year. Recently I have had creaking and crunching in my knees and stiffness. It is scary and depressing I have had x-rays done and I am supposed to visit a specialists but I secretly fear that I won't be able to play with my boys anymore or go dancing with my husband.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter