Patient Comments: Osteoarthritis - Share Your Experience

Do you, a friend, or relative have osteoarthritis? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Renuka g., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have knee joint pain for last 2 months. Doctor suggested x-ray and found gap between joints was less at inner side of both the legs. Doctor suggested to put lubrication through viscosupplementation injection in the knee. He is not confident this is a guaranteed solution for my knee osteoarthritis. He also suggested that I lose weight.

Comment from: lena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 46 years old and I have always had issues with my knees for as long as I can remember. I could tell when it was going to storm or just rain. January of 2014, knee pain has progressed to severe. I could barely walk. I went to doctors and had steroid injections, but no help. Next step I had Synvisc, no help or relief. I did therapy and nothing again. I had MRI done and yes, no cartilage at all behind knee caps. Both knee caps are shot. But the doctor won't do surgery because he says I'm too young. I have no medicine regimes. He just told me I'm unable to work due the severity of osteoarthritis in knees. As to pain, well, he said I just need to work through it on my own. Now I'm raising my twins of which one has hip issues, and out of my 2 granddaughters one is medically challenged. They are 4 and 5. I am very tired of pain and not being able to function like a normal person. I don't sleep very much due to pain. I can't do grocery shopping, if I do I'm laid up for a few days with severe pain and swelling of knees. Now elbows are doing same thing and my lower back kills when doing simple things like dishes or fixing meals.

Comment from: marinemom3025, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I was diagnosed years ago with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. For me it was passed down by my parents. My hands are deformed now and I suffer great pain, now it is in my spine and my knees too. I was on chemotherapy for almost 2 years. It did nothing but cause me more grief, I got drop foot from using the chemotherapy. I"m now looking for a new doctor, I know there is no cure but surely there must be something we can do to stop the horrible pain and swelling in our joints!

Comment from: Rich, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I have been involved in heavy-duty work for most of my life -- mainly in warehouse with heavy lifting and trucking. All of these jobs put me at risk, but that is what I grew up with and enjoyed most as an occupation. Unfortunately, it caused great strain on my spine, and I am now being treated for spinal osteoarthritis. Even with medication, I am never without severe pain. Hot showers and a heating pad do relieve some of the pain, but it cannot end it. I am now 61 and have had the arthritis for four years. I have had to learn to live with it, but it isn't easy.

Comment from: Eduardo, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was born three months early. I was born with underdeveloped bones and never had any special care. I started to gain weight drastically after a traumatic experience. Since then, my joints have gotten worse and worse. I have deformed knees, experience sharp pains in even the simplest joints, and experience stiffness and loud pops throughout my body. I've been dropping weight, but I know that given my build, even at my smallest I'd still be giving my back and lower body a hard time. I'm currently 16 and I am 6 feet tall and weigh 238 pounds. I was at one point 5'8” and weighed 270 pounds, and had a body fat percentage of 45 percent. I've pushed that down to 28 percent and I am still going. Hopefully sports will help me, but I'm not expecting miracles.

Comment from: amydewster, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

My knee pain has severely increased after a fall. Will osteoarthritis progress faster after a traumatic injury! I did not know I had osteoarthritis 3 months ago, now my doctor suggests a knee replacement.

Comment from: Kacebs, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I was operated 11 years ago for arthritis but I started experiencing pain in the knee joint and around the thigh. Now I have to take pain killers every time I experience pain.

Comment from: nandakumar d v, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I am a 60-year-old male. I was diagnosed with OA of the right knee seven years ago. Medicines help little and briefly. Exercises have helped me continue with my work routine. I have been consistently overweight by 10 kg and I'm a borderline diabetic. I walk 3 km each day and do a bit of yoga to keep fit. But my knee pain increases after I finish the walk. I wonder if I am adding to degeneration of my knee.

Comment from: Mack, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I have osteoarthritis in my hip, which was dislocated when I was hit by a bus at age 12. I continued to play sports and have suffered from a bad back. Now my back is fine and hip is still relatively pain free, but I am getting a sudden sharp pain in my groin on the same side as the hip. Can I do something other than hip replacement?

Comment from: Rosanne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have suffered with osteoarthritis for many years. I take 1600 mg of Ibuprofen daily. It did help for a while but lately it has had very little effect on my knee pain; it does help the arthritis in my back and ankles, however. Ive had steroid and synvisc injections twice. The first injections of each med helped somewhat. The second round helped very little, if at all. I lost 25 lb in 7 months; it made no difference whatsoever in my pain. My ortho says I have to lose "a lot more weight" before I can have knee replacement. (In addition, I now have severe pain in my upper arms due to statin meds; a side effect that nobody informed me of! I cant remember my last pain-free day.) Ive ordered a new type of tennis shoe that works like shock absorbers on a car. I havent gotten them yet. Im hoping that I'll get significant relief of my knee pain with those new shoes as they've been advertised to do. I'll get back to you when I see how well they do or dont work. If these shoes dont work, knee replacement is next.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter