Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Also known as degenerative arthritis. Osteoarthritis can be caused by aging, heredity, and injury from trauma or disease. Read more: Osteoarthritis (OA) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis that is caused by the breakdown and eventual loss of the cartilage of one or more...
Back Pain: Find Relief, Treat Your Back Pain
Back pain conditions are very common. Learn the truth and get the facts behind myths, remedies, causes and treatment for back...
Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis and Joint Pain
Learn about osteoarthritis and exercises that relieve knee osteoarthritis pain, stiffness and strengthen the knee joint and...
Osteoarthritis (OA): Treatment, Symptoms, Diagnosis
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disease affecting both cartilage and bone. Joints most often affected by...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
Burning or Swollen Feet? What Foot Pain Says About Your Health
Foot pain and heel pain can be serious health problems. Discover information about cold feet, itchy feet, burning feet and...
Osteoarthritis: 15 Tips to Improve Daily Living With OA
Osteoarthritis joint pain can make it hard to carry out activities of daily living. Cartilage destruction can cause symptoms like...
Fun With Kids and More Ways to Live With OA in Pictures
You can still have lots of fun with children despite arthritis. Our experts uncover ways to spend time with your kids or...
Exercises for Osteoarthritis -- Yoga, Swimming, & More
Check out this slideshow on Active Living From Day to Night with Osteoarthritis. Even with arthritis you can keep your active...
Tips for Healthy Joints: Exercise, Nutrition, & More in Pictures
Dealing with joint pain and arthritis? Learn why weight matters--and why NOT to stretch before exercise. See these solutions for...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Arthritis: 16 Bad Habits That Cause Joint Pain
Being overweight, wearing uncomfortable shoes, or carrying a heavy purse can make joint pain and arthritis symptoms worse. Some...
Arthritis: Causes and Treatment for Joint Stiffness and Pain
Arthritis and injuries can leave your joints swollen, tender, and damaged. Discover treatments for morning stiffness, sore...
Related Disease Conditions
Second Source article from Government...
Ankle pain is commonly due to a sprain or tendinitis. The severity of ankle sprains ranges from mild (which can resolve within...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis
Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH or Forestier's disease) is a form of degenerative arthritis. It is characterized...
Gout (Gouty Arthritis)
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee...
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and Ulcers
Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are prescribed medications for the treatment of inflammatory conditions. Examples of...
Pseudogout, a form of arthritis, results when deposits of crystals collect in and around the joints. Symptoms of pseudogout...
The common bunion, an enlargement of the inner portion of the joint at the base of the big toe, primarily affects women. The...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
The most common food allergies are to eggs, nuts, milk, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries and tomatoes. Symptoms and signs...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
Lumbar stenosis can be caused by degenerative arthritis (the most common cause), tumor, infection, or metabolic disorders...
Bone spurs are pointy outgrowths of bone that develop in areas of inflammation or injury. They commonly occur on the heel and...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Arthritis, bursitis, IT band syndrome, fracture, and strain are just some of the causes of hip pain. Associated symptoms and...
Rheumatology is the study of rheumatic diseases and conditions. Rheumatologists are internal medicine physicians who treat these...
Local ResourcesFind a local Rheumatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Osteoarthritis Specific References
- Lower Back Pain
- Joint Pain
- Neck Pain (Cervicalgia)
- Knee Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Chronic Pain
- Foot Pain
- Leg Pain
- Ankle Pain
- Hip Pain
- Joint Stiffness
- Swollen Joints
- Wrist Pain
- Finger Pain
- Hand Pain
- Joint Cracking (Joint Popping)
- Stiff Neck
- Joint Deformity
- Joint Warmth
- Groin Pain
- Swollen Knee
- Osteoarthritis 2002 Arthritis Conference Report
- Osteoarthritis: 2004 Perspectives
- National Arthritis Meeting 2004
- Drug Withdrawn - Vioxx, A Perspective After National Arthritis Meeting
- Pain (Acute and Chronic)
- Cox-2 Inhibitors Dilemma: What Patients Should Do
- The Cox-2 Inhibitors Controversy: Q&A with Dr. Shiel
- Cox-2 Inhibitors, What's Next? - Expert Panel Votes
- Chronotherapy - Tunes In to Body's Rhythms
- Osteoarthritis - Vitamin D May Prevent Progression
- Celebrex - New Arthritis Drug
- Seniors - Falls Cause Serious Injuries
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: What is it?
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Effectiveness
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Indications
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Success
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Side Effects
- Chondroitin Sulfate &Glucosamine: Proper Use
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Other Use
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Benefits
- Chondroitin & Glucosamine & NSAID's
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Supervision
- Pain Management Over-The-Counter
- Arthritis - Whether Weather Affects Arthritis
- Arthritis Foot Care - It's In the Shoes
- Arthritis or Injury: Ice or Heat - Which To Apply
- Osteoarthritis - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Arthritis: Dr. Shiels Handshake
- What Is Mobic Used for?
- Does Glucosamine Cream Work for Arthritis?
- What Is Cervical Osteoarthritis?
- What Is the Prognosis for Osteoarthritis?
- What Is a Triple Arthrodesis Surgical Procedure?
- What Kind of Joint Injections Treat Osteoarthritis?
- Does Magnetic Therapy for Arthritis Work?
- What Are the Side Effects of Glucosamine?
- What Causes Arthritis and Baker's Cyst?
- Can You Be Too Young for a Knee Replacement?
- Do NSAIDs Interact With Coumadin?
- Can You Regrow Cartilage?
- What Causes Early Onset of Hip Osteoarthritis?
- Can You Get a Cartilage Transplant?
- Are Women More Susceptible to Osteoarthritis?
- Can You Have a Joint Aspiration on Coumadin (warfarin)?
- Can Glucosamine Treat Arthritis?
- Osteoarthritis of the Hands
- Osteoarthritis vs. Carpal Tunnel: What's the Difference?
- Can You Prevent Osteoarthritis?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Osteoarthritis
- Bunion: A Pain in the Bunion
- Osteoarthritis Symptoms
- Ask the Experts - Rheumatology
- Osteoarthritis Update: 2005 Arthritis Conference
- Osteoarthritis and Weight Loss Audio Podcast
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- flurbiprofen (Ansaid is a discontinued brand)
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- sulindac, Clinoril
- oxaprozin, Daypro
- salsalate, Amigesic, Salflex, Argesic-SA, Marthritic, Salsitab, Artha-G
- diflunisal, Dolobid
- etodolac, Lodine (Discontinued)
- meclofenamate; Meclomen
- fenoprofen, Nalfon
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- ketoprofen (Discontinued brands: Nexcede, Orudis, Oruvail, Actron)
- nabumetone, Relafen (Discontinued)
- choline magnesium salicylate, Trilisate
- diclofenac, Voltaren, Cataflam, Voltaren-XR, Cambia
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Oracea, Adoxa, Atridox, Acticlate, Acticlate Cap, Doryx, Doxteric, Doxy)
- diclofenac and misoprostol, Arthrotec
- celecoxib (Celebrex)
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- meloxicam (Mobic) Side Effects
- hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc, Synvisc One)
- valdecoxib, Bextra
- hyaluronate (hyaluronan, Hyalgan, Supartz, Euflexxa, Orthovisc)
- MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) Dietary Supplement
- Predinsone Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Tramadol (Ultram) Side Effects
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- Ibuprofen vs. Meloxicam (Mobic) for Pain
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
- Acetaminophen vs. Ibuprofen for Pain (Differences in Side Effects and Dosage)
- Aleve (naproxen) vs. Celebrex (celecoxib)
- Kenalog 10 Injection
- Voltaren Ophthalmic
- Voltaren XR
- Daypro Alta
- Voltaren Gel
- Etodolac XR
Prevention & Wellness
- For Pain Relief, Why Not Try Drug-Free Alternatives
- Bone Drug Could Be Helping More Women: Study
- Can Arthritic Dogs (and Their Owners) Benefit From Stem Cell Injections?
- Opioids Before Joint Replacement Tied to Worse Recovery
- Reduce Weight, Reduce the Arthritic Knee Pain
- Health Tip: What To Expect From Joint Replacement Surgery
- Ditch the Golf Cart. Your Aging Knees Won't Mind
- Got Osteoarthritis? Get Moving
- A New Hip May Mean a Longer, Better Life
- The Benefits of Simply Moving More
- Common Painkillers May Boost Blood Pressure in Arthritis Patients
- How You Think About Your Arthritis Makes a Difference
- Skeletons Give Clues to Americans' Rising Arthritis Rates
- Taking Opioids Before Knee Surgery Could Raise Pain Later
- Studies Spotlight Diet, Supplements for Knee Pain
- Forget Steroid Shots for Long-Term Relief of Arthritic Knees
- New Guidelines Say No to Most 'Keyhole' Knee Surgeries
- 4 in 10 People Will Suffer Arthritic Hands Over Lifetime
- Can Dropping Some Weight Save Your Knees?
- Knee Replacement Doesn't Always Pay, Researchers Say
- 1 in 4 U.S. Adults Disabled by Arthritis: CDC
- Joints Achy? Don't Blame Mother Nature
- Is Running Bad for Your Knees?
- Health Tip: When Your Neck Aches
- Celebrex May Not Pose Bigger Heart Risk Than Similar Drugs: Study
- Cartilage From Nose Used to Repair Bum Knees
- What Twins Are Teaching the Rest of Us
- Nanoparticles Ease Aching Joints in Mice
- Review Suggests Safe, Effective Ways to Relieve Pain Without Meds
- Cartilage Grown in Lab Might One Day Help Younger Arthritis Sufferers
- New Treatment Shows Promise for Crippling Knee Arthritis
- Long Work Hours May Hurt Your Health
- Top 5 Costly Inpatient Conditions for Hospitals
- Tai Chi: Rx for Arthritic Knees
- Getting Active After Knee Replacement Might Raise Hip Fracture Risk
- Acetaminophen Won't Help Arthritis Pain, Study Finds
- Vitamin D a No Go for Arthritic Knees, Study Finds
- Steroid Shot for Hip Pain May Carry Infection Risk If Too Close to Surgery
- Weakened Knees a Big Cause of Falls for Older People: Study
- Michelangelo Likely Had Arthritis, Medical Experts Say
- Health Tip: Learn About Vitamin C
- Electrical Stimulation May Ease Low Back Pain for Some
- MRI Can Spot Early Signs of Knee Arthritis: Study
- Weight Loss May Spare Knee Cartilage, Study Finds
- Knee Arthritis: Steroid Shots May Not Help Long-Term, Ozone Injections Promising
- Health Tip: Smoking Can Lead to Bone Injury
- Knee Replacement May Ease Pain for Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
- Study Questions Value of Arthroscopic Knee Surgery for Older Patients
- Study Casts Doubt on Acetaminophen for Low Back Pain, Arthritis
- Painful Knee Arthritis May Be Linked to Premature Death
- In-Patient Rehab Not Always Needed After New Knee
- More Middle-Aged Americans Are Getting Hips Replaced
- Number of Hip Replacements Has Skyrocketed, U.S. Report Shows
- Seniors May Keep Falls a Secret
- Knee Pain While Using Stairs May Be First Sign of Arthritis
- Knee Arthritis Drugs Beat Placebos, but Study Finds No Clear Winner
- Running Won't Raise Risk of Knee Arthritis, Study Says
- Exercise, Physical Therapy May Help Ease Pain of Arthritis
- Early, Small Babies May Be More Prone to Adult Hip Trouble
- Acupuncture May Not Help Chronic Knee Pain, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Losing Weight May Help Against Osteoarthritis
- Shoe Inserts Don't Help Arthritic Knee Pain: Study
- Knee Shape May Predict Who'll Benefit From ACL Surgery, Study Says
- Knee Replacement Often Beneficial for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Study
- Will New Gout Findings Get a Toehold?
- Cholesterol Drugs Linked to Muscle, Joint Problems: Study
- Glucosamine Supplements Tied to Risk of Eye Condition
- Pain a Common Problem for People With COPD
- Sugar Injections for Knee Arthritis May Ease Pain: Study
- 'Mobility Shoes' May Help Those With Arthritic Knees: Study
- Cartilage Gives Early Warning of Arthritis, Study Finds
- Therapy as Good as Surgery for Some With Torn Knee Cartilage
- Gene Therapy Helped Mice Withstand Osteoarthritis: Study
- Health Tip: Protect Your Hips From Arthritis Damage
- Weight Gain a Risk After Knee Replacement, Study Finds
- Vitamin D Doesn't Improve Knee Arthritis, Study Finds
- Certain Arthritis Patients Fare Worse After Joint Replacement: Study
- DNA May Explain Why Women Have More Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Too Much or Too Little Activity Can Spur Knee Problems
- Soda May Worsen Knee Osteoarthritis in Men
- Drug Slows Knee Osteoarthritis Progression
- Study: Rheumatoid Arthritis Plus Depression May Be Deadly
- Exercise Can Help Knee Pain if You Stick With It
- Stem Cells to Cartilage? Promising Results Seen in Mice
- Rheumatoid Arthritis May Be Linked to More Blood Clots
- Knee, Hip Replacements Don't Help People Lose Weight: Study
- Acupuncture Pain Relief Is Real, Researchers Say
- Newer Rheumatoid Arthritis Drugs Don't Raise Cancer Risk: Study
- More Genes Linked to Osteoarthritis Identified
- Knee Injections for Arthritis? Save Your Money, Study Says
- Health Tip: Treating Osteoarthritis
- Research With Dogs Points to Early Test for Arthritis
- FDA Panel Recommends Second Chance for New Class of Painkillers
- More Than 4 Million Americans Have New Knee
- Tai Chi Improves Symptoms of Parkinson's Disease
- Health Tip: Exercise for Healthier Bones
- Women May Feel More Pain Than Men
- Avoid Getting Scorched by 'Hot Yoga'
- Americans Aren't Getting Any Skinnier
- Herbal Medicines for Arthritis Not Backed by Evidence
- Knee Arthritis: Very Low-Calorie Diet May Help
- Spouse's Reaction May Affect Pain Management
- Weight Regained in Later Years Has More Fat
- Knee Pain Plagues Many Women Over 50
- Most Sports Don't Raise Risk of Knee Osteoarthritis
- Supplement May Ease Pain of Hand Osteoarthritis
- Tool Helps Decide When to Get Weight Loss Surgery
- Americans Are Flocking to Alternative Therapies
- Combination Therapy Needed to Fight Chronic Pain
- CDC Links Obesity, Arthritis, and Lack of Exercise
- Tai Chi Prevents Falls, Boosts Mental Health in Seniors: Study
- Exercise Good for Knees, Study Finds
- NSAID Pain Relievers Raise Heart Risks
- Arthritis Doctors Too Often Opt for Drugs, Surgery
- Arthritis on the Increase; Obesity Partly to Blame
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Cut RA Risk
- Osteoarthritis Risk May Be Higher If Knees Point Outward
- New Way to Classify Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Study: Calcium May Increase Heart Attack Risk
- New Pain Drug May Be Alternative to Oxycodone
- Knee Injury? Surgery Won't Cut Arthritis Risk
- Alcohol Associated With Lower Risk of Arthritis
- Osteoarthritis Claims Growing Number of Younger Victims
- Diabetes Nerve Pain May Worsen at Night
- Osteoarthritis Costs U.S. Over $185 Billion a Year
- Occupational Therapy Plus Exercise Benefits Osteoarthritis
- Health Tip: Treatment Options for Osteoarthritis
- Osteoarthritis Risk: Handy Finding
- Voltaren Gel Approved for Osteoarthritis
- Botox May Cut Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- Knee Osteoarthritis: Small Weight Loss, Big Help
- Skin Patch for Knee Osteoarthritis Pain?
- A Spouse Can Help Ease the Pain of Osteoarthritis
- Chronic Pain: Specific References for Chronic Pain
- Arthritis: Alternative Ways to Easing Arthritis Pain
- Paget's Disease of Bone and Osteoarthritis: Different Yet Related
- Obesity: Health Risks Associated with Obesity
- Exercise & Fitness: Weekly Schedule
- Exercise: Endurance and Flexibility Daily Record
- Bextra Gets New Warning On Label
- Bextra Label With New Warnings
- Arthritis Diet Claims: Fact or Fiction
- Patient Care Ergonomics
- Rheumatologist...The Arthritis Buster
- Vioxx: FDA Statement on Recent Allegations
- Painkiller Vioxx Pulled From Market Alert
- Women's Knees, How to Avoid Injury
- Arthritis Better With Diet & Exercise
- Arthritis and Exercise, How Do I Start?
- Osteoarthritis Most Common Reason Hip, Knee Replace
- Falls And Fractures In Seniors
- Joint Cracking...Fact & Fiction