- Habits That Can Help You Lose Weight Slideshow
- Lose Weight Without Dieting Slideshow
- Surprising Sources of Hidden Sugar Slideshow
- What brand names are available for orlistat?
- Is orlistat available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for orlistat?
- What are the uses for orlistat?
- What are the side effects of orlistat?
- What is the dosage for orlistat?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with orlistat?
- Is orlistat safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about orlistat?
What are the uses for orlistat?
- Orlistat is combined with a reduced-calorie diet to promote weight loss.
- Orlistat also may be used to prevent weight gain after weight has been lost.
- Candidates for treatment with orlistat are patients who are obese with a body mass index (a measure of obesity) of more than 30 kg/m2.
- Candidates also include patients with a body mass index of between 27 and 30 kg/m2 if other risk factors for arteriosclerosis are present such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and elevated blood cholesterol or triglycerides.
- Based on several scientific studies, the average weight loss that is achieved when orlistat is taken as recommended for six months to one year is 12.4 to 13.4 pounds.
What are the side effects of orlistat?
The most common side effects of orlistat are:
- oily spotting on underwear,
- urgent bowel movements,
- fatty or oily stools,
- increased number of bowel movements,
- abdominal pain or discomfort, and
- inability to control stool (incontinence).
From 1 in 250 and 1 in 70 patients experienced one or more of these symptoms in the first year. Generally, the side effects occurred within three months of starting therapy. In about 50% of patients, the side effects resolved within one to four weeks, but the effects in some patients lasted six months or longer. To reduce the occurrence of these side effects, meals should contain no more than 30% fat because it is the unabsorbed fat that causes most of the symptoms. alli causes fewer side effects because it contains half the dose of prescription-strength orlistat. Patients receiving orlistat with a history of oxalate kidney stones may develop increased levels of oxalate in their urine, which may increase the risk of kidney stones.
Liver failure has been reported in patients treated with orlistat. Orlistat should be discontinued if symptoms of liver failure (loss of appetite, anorexia, itching, jaundice, dark urine, light colored stools, or right upper abdominal pain) occur while taking orlistat.
Other serious side effects of orlistat include:
- Serious allergic reactions
- Deficiency in fat-soluble vitamins
What is the dosage for orlistat?
- The recommended prescription dose for Xenical is one capsule (120 mg) three times daily.
- The recommended dose for alli is 60 mg three times daily.
- Orlistat should be taken one hour after or during a meal containing about 15 mg of fat. Meals without fat do not require orlistat.
- No additional benefit has been shown when orlistat was taken in doses greater than 120 mg.
- Patients should eat a nutritionally balanced, reduced calorie diet that contains approximately 30% of calories from fat.
- alli includes an individually tailored online weight loss support program.
Some dietary vitamins bind to fat (vitamins A, D, E and beta- carotene). When orlistat is taken, these vitamins are not absorbed and are eliminated in the stool in increased amounts along with the fat. Therefore, patients taking orlistat should take a multivitamin containing these "fat-soluble" vitamins to ensure that adequate amounts of the vitamins are available for absorption. To ensure that the vitamins in the multivitamins are not bound to fat like the vitamins in the diet, the multivitamin should be taken at least two hours before or several hours after the orlistat.
Which drugs or supplements interact with orlistat?
- The blood thinning effect of warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven) depends on the amount of vitamin K in the body, and vitamin K is one of the vitamins that binds to fat. Patients receiving warfarin who begin orlistat should have their blood clotting monitored closely because the orlistat may cause levels of vitamin K to decline. This will increase the effects of warfarin and lead to abnormal bleeding from the warfarin. There is no evidence that a deficiency of vitamin K occurs in patients who are taking orlistat.
- Orlistat may reduce the absorption and blood levels of cyclosporine (Sandimmune) when both drugs are administered together. Therefore, cyclosporine should be administered two hours before or after orlistat, and more frequent monitoring of cyclosporine levels may be needed.
- Hypothyroidism has been reported when orlistat and levothyroxine (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Unithroid) were combined. Patients treated with both orlistat and levothyroxine should be monitored for changes in thyroid function. The orlistat and levothyroxine should be taken at least four hours apart.
Is orlistat safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
What else should I know about orlistat?
What preparations of orlistat are available?
Capsules: 60 mg (alli), 120 mg (Xenical)
How should I keep orlistat stored?
Capsules should be stored at room temperature, 15 C - 30 C (59 F - 86 F)
Reference: FDA Prescribing Information
Orlistat (Xenical, alli) is a drug available in prescription and over-the-counter that promotes weight loss. Side effects include:
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Fat and Fats Quiz: Fatty Food & Body Fat Percentage
Take this online Fat & Fats Quiz to learn if you really are what you eat!...
Sugar Quiz: Facts on Diet & Sugar
Sugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know...
Food Portion Distortion Quiz: Correct Serving Size
Are your portions deceiving you? Take the Food Portion Distortion Quiz to find out how and why gigantic portions trick you into...
Protein Quiz: Foods High in Protein
Protein is a staple in our diets, but what happens if we get too much? Take this quiz to find out the truth about protein and...
Salt Quiz: Test Your Diet IQ
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Superfoods Quiz: List of Top Superfoods
Take our Superfoods Quiz! Get to know how unprocessed, raw, organic foods and healthy drinks are rich in nutrients and dietary...
Diet and Nutrition Quiz: Plans & Facts
Even if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to...
Exercise and Fitness Quiz: Test Your IQ
Take our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major...
Fat-Burning Foods in Pictures: Blueberries, Green Tea, and More
Learn about fat-fighting foods such as grapefruit, hot peppers, vinegar, and more. Discover the benefits along with surprising...
Healthy Eating: 16 Resolutions for Better Habits
Is eating better one of your New Year's resolutions? Get tips for healthier eating habits to incorporate into daily life...
Pictures of the 7 Most Effective Exercises to Do at the Gym or Home (and Tips to Improve Form)
These seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most...
How to Lose Weight Without Dieting: 24 Fast Facts
Weight loss without dieting? No diet, no problem. Learn the best way to lose weight with these weight loss tips designed to help...
Pictures of the 7 Riskiest Workout Moves, and How to Improve Them
Working out is supposed to make you healthier--but some exercises can leave your body at risk of pain or injury. Some exercises...
Top Diets: The Best Dieting Tips Ever for Weight Loss
What separates good diets from the best diets? These weight loss strategies--like drink more water, eat breakfast, sleep...
Pictures of the Belly-Fattening Foods That Men Love
Belly-fattening foods such as chips, beer, doughnuts and fatty red meat can kill a diet. See which foods are tough to resist,...
Healthy Seeds: 11 Edible Super Seeds for Better Nutrition
Are pumpkin seeds good for your health? What's the nutritional value of chia seeds? Find out how to easily incorporate more...
Diet-Wrecking Foods: Smoothies, Lattes, Popcorn, and More in Pictures
It may seem healthy, but is it really? Many food frauds masquerade as diet food. See 23 foods that seem healthy but can be...
Skinny Sipping: Best and Worst Drinks for Losing Weight in Pictures
From coffee to cocktails, learn which beverages can help or hinder a healthy lifestyle. See the best and worst drinks for weight...
12 Reasons to Love the Mediterranean Diet in Pictures
The Mediterranean diet is a delicious way to eat healthy. We show you how to get the most from this diet with foods like olive...
Diet for Stress Management: Carbs, Nuts, and Other Stress-Relief Foods
While there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part...
Bikini-Body Pictures: Workout & Beauty Tips for Swimsuit Season
Discover 25 ways to get ready for swimsuit season. See exercises, diet tips, and other healthy beauty fixes that will motivate...
High Protein Diets: Good or Bad?
Low-carb, high-protein diets are quite popular. High protein diets let you snack on protein-rich foods you love, but what are the...
Vegetarian Diet: Tasty, Basic Choices in Pictures
Thinking about becoming a vegetarian? Compared to the general population, the typical vegetarian has a lower body mass index...
Food Cravings Slideshow: Chocolate, Carbs, Salt, Sugar
Learn which food cravings can wreck your diet. Whether your craving something creamy or crunchy, sweet or salty, food cravings...
Slideshow: Busted: Popular Diet Myths
Learn about healthy dieting myths and facts. Can't tell fact from fiction about weight loss and healthy eating? Discover the...
10 Metabolism Boosting Facts and Myths
Losing weight by increasing your metabolism is challenging. There are many metabolism myths and only a few surefire tricks to get...
Portion Control Tips: Lose Weight and Stick to Your Diet
Portion control can help with weight loss and help you stick to a healthy diet. But how much is too much? This photo guide will...
Bad' Foods That Are Good for Weight Loss in Pictures
Some bad foods can be good for weight loss. MedicineNet reveals which tempting foods can actually help you lose weight and keep...
How to Lose Weight Fast: Easy Weight Loss Tips
Here are the best ways for men and women to lose weight. Fast facts from experts show weight loss is possible for everyone trying...
Sugar Addiction Facts: Cravings, Hidden Sugar, and More in Pictures
Learn about sugar addiction to see why we often crave sweets and binge on carbs. Learn how sugar affects the brain and get tips...
Tips to Eat Healthy When You Dine Out in Pictures
Recognize the dangers of eating out and stay on your healthy diet at restaurants. Learn about healthy eating at restaurants,...
Diet Mistake Pictures: Crash Diets, High-Calorie Drinks, and More
Discover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the...
Slideshow: The 7-Minute Workout
The 7-minute workout provides a free, convenient way to get and stay fit. Discover these short, quick exercises that use your own...
Exercise and Fitness: 10 Budget-Friendly Exercise Gadgets
There are plenty of cheap and free ways to exercise. Learn about inexpensive ways to get in shape with the use of jump ropes,...
Benefits of Exercise: Fitness Facts Prove the Benefits of Working Out
These fitness facts explain why to get in shape. Check out these health facts on the benefits of exercise....
17 Must-Try Fitness Workouts in Pictures
Learn the latest exercise crazes such as TRX, pole dancing, Zumba, Kangoo jumps, boot camps, exergames and more that are designed...
13 Easy Ways to Eat More Greens
Learn 13 easy ways to add more greens to your diet. Discover how to add kale, spinach, broccoli rabe and more into your diet....
Pilates for Beginners in Pictures: Moves for Abs, Toning, and More
View 15 Pilates moves that get results. Flat abs are one highly prized result of a Pilates workout. See beginning moves to help...
No-Gym Workout in Pictures: Equipment, Routines, and More
Learn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and...
Surprising Sources of Hidden Sugar in Pictures
Sugar is hiding in foods you least suspect. See where sugar may be hiding in what you eat and find options that are better for...
Low-Carb Snacks in Pictures
Interested in low-carb snacking? Here are some ideas about smart snacks that are filling and low in carbohydrates....
10 Worst Fast-Food Sandwiches: Unhealthy Choices in Pictures
Want to know what the good and bad fast-food sandwiches choices are? Our experts explore the nutrition facts of major restaurant...
Exercise Tips for Kids and the Whole Family
Exercise is great for kids, and fun activities for the whole family are there if you know how to find them. Learn how to lose...
Easy, Tasty Grilled Foods for Dinner Tonight in Pictures
Explore easy and tasty grilled foods. When your rushed to get dinner on the table, fire up the grill and use these delicious,...
10 Tips for a Healthier Fast Food Diet
Losing weight is tough on the road. Fast food can't compare to the health of a well-planned, balanced diet. But if you must eat...
Worst-Appetizer Pictures: Spinach Dip, Potato Skins, and More
A tasty appetizer can be a great start to any meal--but some appetizers are diet disasters. Potato skins and cheese fries pack on...
Related Disease Conditions
Weight Loss - The Basics
There are lots of reasons for people who are overweight or obese to lose weight. To be healthier. To look better. To feel better....
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation
One concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking....
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Food Portion Distortion FAQs
- Diet & Nutrition FAQs
- Superfoods FAQs
- Sugar FAQs
- Fat and Fats FAQs
- Salt FAQs
- Exercise and Fitness FAQs
- Protein FAQs
- How To Reduce Your Medication Costs
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Indications for Drugs: Approved vs. Non-approved
- Generic Drugs, Are They as Good as Brand-Names?
- Drugs: Buying Prescription Drugs Online Safely
- Drugs: The Most Common Medication Errors
- Medication Disposal - What to Do with Old or Unusable Medication
- Dangers of Mixing Medications
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- 5 Diet Drugs: Which Ones Work?
- Promise From a New Weight-Loss Drug
- Contrave, Newest Weight Loss Option: FAQ
- Diabetes Drug May Spur Weight Loss in Obese Nondiabetics
- Alli Weight Loss Drug Recalled Over Tampering
- Epilepsy Drug Shows Promise as Weight-Loss Aid, Study Says
- When Prescription Drugs Go OTC, Ads Talk Less of Harms: Study
- Task Force to Doctors: Obesity Screening for All
- FDA Reconsiders Weight Loss Drug Qnexa
- Experts Assess What Works for Weight Loss
- Group Calls on FDA to Pull Alli, Xenical
- Weight Loss
- DASH Diet (for High Blood Pressure)
- Low Residue Diet (Low Fiber)
- Mediterranean Diet
- Vitamins, Minerals and Nutritional Supplements
- Liquid Diet
- Gluten Free Diet
- Fasting Diets
- Vegetarian and Vegan Diet
- Cleansing and Detox Diets
- Atkins Diet
- Food & Cooking Tips
- Special Diets & Recipes
- Holiday Weight Management
- Weight Management
- Best Life Diet
- Benefits of Exercise
- Eating Out & Entertaining
- Food & Grocery Shopping
Daily Health News
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Top orlistat Related ArticlesComplete List
Most Effective ExercisesThese seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most effective exercises chosen by our experts.
Drug InteractionsDrug interactions occur frequently. Get facts about the types of drug interactions, what substances or other things that may interact with drugs such as OTC drug and prescription drugs, vitamins, food(s) (grapefruit), and laboratory tests. Find out how to protect yourself from potential drug interactions.
Drugs: What You Should Know About Your DrugsImportant information about your drugs should be reviewed prior to taking any prescription drug. Side effects, drug interactions, warnings and precauctions, dosage, what the drug is used for, what to do if you miss a dose, how the drug is to be stored, and generic vs. brand names.
Take the Exercise QuizTake our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major changes to your lifestyle.
Fat-Fighting FoodsLearn about fat-fighting foods such as grapefruit, hot peppers, vinegar, and more. Discover the benefits along with surprising facts about how they may fight fat.
Better Eating ResolutionsIs eating better one of your New Year's resolutions? Get tips for healthier eating habits to incorporate into daily life on-the-go. Learn how to eat more fruits and veggies, drink less soda, plan your meals, and more.
Lose Weight No DietingWeight loss without dieting? No diet, no problem. Learn the best way to lose weight with these weight loss tips designed to help men and women lose weight and feel great.
Obesity (Weight Loss)Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are more than 20% over their ideal weight. That ideal weight must take into account the person's height, age, sex, and build.
Take the Salt QuizDo you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed foods, snacks and soups!
Stretch MarksStretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is constantly stretched, the dermis can break down, leaving behind stretch marks.
Take the Sugar QuizSugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know about sugar and artificial sweeteners!
Weight Control and Smoking CessationOne concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking. There are lifestyle changes that can be made to avoid weight gain during smoking cessation. Lifestyle changes include regular exercise, proper nutrition, limiting snacking and alcohol, medication, and weight management counseling.