- Habits That Can Help You Lose Weight Slideshow
- Lose Weight Without Dieting Slideshow
- Surprising Sources of Hidden Sugar Slideshow
What are the uses for orlistat?
- Orlistat is combined with a reduced-calorie diet to promote weight loss.
- Orlistat also may be used to prevent weight gain after weight has been lost.
- Candidates for treatment with orlistat are patients who are obese with a body mass index (a measure of obesity) of more than 30 kg/m2.
- Candidates also include patients with a body mass index of between 27 and 30 kg/m2 if other risk factors for arteriosclerosis are present such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and elevated blood cholesterol or triglycerides.
- Based on several scientific studies, the average weight loss that is achieved when orlistat is taken as recommended for six months to one year is 12.4 to 13.4 pounds.
What brand names are available for orlistat?
Is orlistat available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for orlistat?
Orlistat yes, Alli no
What are the side effects of orlistat?
The most common side effects of orlistat are:
- oily spotting on underwear,
- urgent bowel movements,
- fatty or oily stools,
- increased number of bowel movements,
- abdominal pain or discomfort, and
- inability to control stool (incontinence).
From 1 in 250 and 1 in 70 patients experienced one or more of these symptoms in the first year. Generally, the side effects occurred within three months of starting therapy. In about 50% of patients, the side effects resolved within one to four weeks, but the effects in some patients lasted six months or longer. To reduce the occurrence of these side effects, meals should contain no more than 30% fat because it is the unabsorbed fat that causes most of the symptoms. alli causes fewer side effects because it contains half the dose of prescription-strength orlistat. Patients receiving orlistat with a history of oxalate kidney stones may develop increased levels of oxalate in their urine, which may increase the risk of kidney stones.
Liver failure has been reported in patients treated with orlistat. Orlistat should be discontinued if symptoms of liver failure (loss of appetite, anorexia, itching, jaundice, dark urine, light colored stools, or right upper abdominal pain) occur while taking orlistat.
Other serious side effects of orlistat include:
What is the dosage for orlistat?
- The recommended prescription dose for Xenical is one capsule (120 mg) three times daily.
- The recommended dose for alli is 60 mg three times daily.
- Orlistat should be taken one hour after or during a meal containing about 15 mg of fat. Meals without fat do not require orlistat.
- No additional benefit has been shown when orlistat was taken in doses greater than 120 mg.
- Patients should eat a nutritionally balanced, reduced calorie diet that contains approximately 30% of calories from fat.
- alli includes an individually tailored online weight loss support program.
Some dietary vitamins bind to fat (vitamins A, D, E and beta- carotene). When orlistat is taken, these vitamins are not absorbed and are eliminated in the stool in increased amounts along with the fat. Therefore, patients taking orlistat should take a multivitamin containing these "fat-soluble" vitamins to ensure that adequate amounts of the vitamins are available for absorption. To ensure that the vitamins in the multivitamins are not bound to fat like the vitamins in the diet, the multivitamin should be taken at least two hours before or several hours after the orlistat.
- Weed-Friendly Posts on Social Media Get Teens Using Cannabis
- Deer Carry COVID Variants No Longer Seen in People
- Working Gets Tough When Grieving a Lost Spouse
- Obamacare Helped Women in Some Southern States Get Better Breast Cancer Care
- AHA News: Pregnancy Complications Could Increase Woman's Stroke Risk at Earlier Age
- More Health News »
Which drugs or supplements interact with orlistat?
- The blood thinning effect of warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven) depends on the amount of vitamin K in the body, and vitamin K is one of the vitamins that binds to fat. Patients receiving warfarin who begin orlistat should have their blood clotting monitored closely because the orlistat may cause levels of vitamin K to decline. This will increase the effects of warfarin and lead to abnormal bleeding from the warfarin. There is no evidence that a deficiency of vitamin K occurs in patients who are taking orlistat.
- Orlistat may reduce the absorption and blood levels of cyclosporine (Sandimmune) when both drugs are administered together. Therefore, cyclosporine should be administered two hours before or after orlistat, and more frequent monitoring of cyclosporine levels may be needed.
- Hypothyroidism has been reported when orlistat and levothyroxine (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Unithroid) were combined. Patients treated with both orlistat and levothyroxine should be monitored for changes in thyroid function. The orlistat and levothyroxine should be taken at least four hours apart.
Is orlistat safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
Orlistat (Xenical, Alli) is a drug available in prescription and over-the-counter that promotes weight loss. Side effects include abdominal pain and discomfort, oily or fatty stools, gas (flatulence), oily spotting on underwear. Drug interactions, dosing, and pregnancy and breastfeeding safety information should be reviewed prior to taking any OTC or prescription medication.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Exercise and Fitness: 10 Budget-Friendly Exercise Gadgets
There are plenty of cheap and free ways to exercise. Learn about inexpensive ways to get in shape with the use of jump ropes,...
Learn about fat-fighting foods such as grapefruit, hot peppers, vinegar, and more. Discover the benefits along with surprising...
The Best Diet Tips: How to Lose Weight the Healthy Way
Learn to lose weight in a realistic way that works. Find healthy weight loss by eating right, sleeping more, understanding...
Healthy Seeds: 11 Edible Super Seeds for Better Nutrition
Are pumpkin seeds good for your health? What's the nutritional value of chia seeds? Find out how to easily incorporate more...
High Protein Diets: Good or Bad?
Can a high protein diet help you lose weight fast and help you feel full? High-protein diets are popular, but is there a down...
Foods That Aren't as Healthy as You Think
It may seem healthy, but is it really? Many food frauds masquerade as diet food. See 11 foods that seem healthy but can be...
Sugar Addiction Facts: Cravings, Hidden Sugar, and More in Pictures
Learn about sugar addiction to see why we often crave sweets and binge on carbs. Learn how sugar affects the brain and get tips...
How to Lose Weight Without Dieting: 24 Fast Facts
Get surprising weight loss tips to help you slim down without starving or following a complicated diet. Lose weight without...
How to Lose Weight Fast: Easy Weight Loss Tips
Here are the best ways to lose weight. From calories to fitness, learn these weight loss tips and win your battle with losing...
Food Cravings Slideshow: Chocolate, Carbs, Salt, Sugar
Learn which food cravings can wreck your diet. Whether your craving something creamy or crunchy, sweet or salty, food cravings...
Diet for Stress Management: Carbs, Nuts, and Other Stress-Relief Foods
While there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part...
Healthy Eating: 16 Resolutions for Better Habits
Is eating better one of your New Year's resolutions? Get tips for healthier eating habits to incorporate into daily life...
Salt & Low Sodium Diet Quiz
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Diet and Nutrition Quiz: Plans & Facts
Even if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to...
Fat and Fats Quiz: Fatty Food & Body Fat Percentage
Take this online Fat & Fats Quiz to learn if you really are what you eat!
Sugar Quiz: Facts on Diet & Sugar
Sugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know...
Food Portion Distortion Quiz: Correct Serving Size
Are your portions deceiving you? Take the Food Portion Distortion Quiz to find out how and why gigantic portions trick you into...
Protein Quiz: Foods High in Protein
Protein is a staple in our diets, but what happens if we get too much? Take this quiz to find out the truth about protein and...
Superfoods Quiz: List of Top Superfoods
Take our Superfoods Quiz! Get to know how unprocessed, raw, organic foods and healthy drinks are rich in nutrients and dietary...
Exercise and Fitness Quiz: Test Your IQ
Take our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major...
Pictures of the 7 Most Effective Exercises to Do at the Gym or Home (and Tips to Improve Form)
These seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most...
10 Metabolism Boosting Facts and Myths
Losing weight by increasing your metabolism is challenging. There are many metabolism myths and only a few surefire tricks to get...
13 Easy Ways to Eat More Greens
Learn 13 easy ways to add more greens to your diet. Discover how to add kale, spinach, broccoli rabe and more into your diet.
Popular Dieting Myths and Facts
Can't tell fact from fiction about weight loss and healthy eating? Discover the truth behind some of the most common diet and...
Vegetarian Diet: Benefits, Meat Substitutions, and Meal Plans
Vegetarian diet plans have benefits like weight loss and reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Vegetarian diet...
Worst Foods for Your Belly
Belly-fattening foods such as chips, beer, doughnuts and fatty red meat can kill a diet. See which foods are tough to resist,...
No-Gym Workout in Pictures: Equipment, Routines, and More
Learn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and...
Low-Carb Snacks in Pictures
Interested in low-carb snacking? Here are some ideas about smart snacks that are filling and low in carbohydrates.
12 Reasons to Love the Mediterranean Diet
The Mediterranean diet is a delicious way to eat healthy. We show you how to get the most from this diet with foods like olive...
Easy, Tasty Grilled Foods for Dinner Tonight in Pictures
Explore easy and tasty grilled foods. When your rushed to get dinner on the table, fire up the grill and use these delicious,...
Pictures of the 7 Riskiest Workout Moves, and How to Improve Them
Working out is supposed to make you healthier--but some exercises can leave your body at risk of pain or injury. Some exercises...
17 Must-Try Fitness Workouts in Pictures
Learn the latest exercise crazes such as TRX, pole dancing, Zumba, Kangoo jumps, boot camps, exergames and more that are designed...
Diet Mistake Pictures: Crash Diets, High-Calorie Drinks, and More
Discover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the...
Bad Foods That Are Good for Weight Loss in Pictures
Are you avoiding foods you could be enjoying as you try to lose weight? Get the skinny on "bad" foods like potatoes, cheese, and...
Best and Worst-Appetizers: Spinach Dip, Potato Skins, and More
A tasty appetizer can be a great start to any meal--but some appetizers are diet disasters. Potato skins and cheese fries pack on...
Benefits of Exercise: Fitness Facts Prove the Benefits of Working Out
The best way to lose weight? These fast facts show weight loss is possible for everyone trying to lose weight. From calories to...
Exercise and Fitness: The 7-Minute Workout
The 7-minute workout provides a free, convenient way to get and stay fit. Discover these short, quick exercises that use your own...
Exercise Tips for Kids and the Whole Family
Exercise is great for kids, and fun activities for the whole family are there if you know how to find them. Learn how to lose...
Healthy Fast Food Options: 10 Tips for a Weight Loss Diet
What healthy fast food options are around you? Most fast food can't compare to the health of a well-planned, balanced diet. But...
Worst Fast-Food Sandwiches
Want to know what the good and bad fast-food sandwiches choices are? Our experts explore the nutrition facts of major restaurant...
Slideshow: 25 Ways to Get Ready for Swimsuit Season
Discover 25 ways to get ready for swimsuit season. See exercises, diet tips, and other healthy beauty fixes that will motivate...
Best and Worst Drinks For Weight Loss
From coffee to cocktails, learn which beverages can help or hinder a healthy lifestyle. See the best and worst drinks for weight...
Portion Control: Plate Photos to Lose Weight, Maintain Diet
Portion control can help with weight loss. The right plate amount can help you stick to a healthy diet. Learn to lose weight with...
Pilates for Beginners in Pictures: Moves for Abs, Toning, and More
View 15 Pilates moves that get results. Flat abs are one highly prized result of a Pilates workout. See beginning moves to help...
Tips to Eat Healthy When You Dine Out in Pictures
Recognize the dangers of eating out and stay on your healthy diet at restaurants. Learn about healthy eating at restaurants,...
Related Disease Conditions
Obesity and Overweight
Get the facts on obesity and being overweight, including the health risks, causes, reviews of weight-loss diet plans, BMI chart, symptoms, causes, surgical and nonsurgical treatments, and medications.
Weight Loss - The Basics
There are lots of reasons for people who are overweight or obese to lose weight. To be healthier. To look better. To feel better. To have more energy.
What Are Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is constantly stretched, the dermis can break down, leaving behind stretch marks.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Food Portion Distortion FAQs
- Diet & Nutrition FAQs
- Superfoods FAQs
- Sugar FAQs
- Fat and Fats FAQs
- Salt FAQs
- Exercise and Fitness FAQs
- Protein FAQs
- Alli OTC Weight Loss Medication
- Drugs: Buying Prescription Drugs Online Safely
- Drugs: The Most Common Medication Errors
- Medication Disposal
- Dangers of Mixing Medications
- How To Reduce Your Medication Costs
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Indications for Drugs: Approved vs. Non-approved
- Generic Drugs, Are They as Good as Brand-Names?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Low-Fiber (Low-Residue) Diet
- Weight Loss
- Diet Plans & Programs
- DASH Diet (for High Blood Pressure)
- Fasting Diets
- Vitamins, Minerals and Nutritional Supplements
- Gluten-Free Diet
- Mediterranean Diet
- Vegetarian and Vegan Diet
- Atkins Diet
- Weight Management
- Best Life Diet
- Cleansing and Detox Diets
- Benefits of Exercise
- Special Diets & Recipes
- Food & Grocery Shopping
- Holiday Weight Management
- Eating Out & Entertaining
- Food & Cooking Tips
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
FDA Prescribing Information