Osteoporosis may be linked to bone loss in the jaw, which in turn, leads to tooth loss. Low bone density may result in ill-fitting dentures, tooth loss, and gum disease. Dental X-rays may be able to distinguish people with osteoporosis from those with normal bone density. Read more: Oral Health and Bone Disease Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Top Problems in Your Mouth
Learn about some of the most common problems in your mouth such as sores, oral cancer, TMJ, painful gums, bad breath and more....
What Is Osteoporosis? Treatment, Symptoms, Medication
Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by low bone mass and density. Osteoporosis causes symptoms of weak, thin, fragile bones....
Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth
Explore which dental habits are terrible for your teeth. Is chewing ice bad for your teeth? How do you avoid rotten teeth? Learn...
Osteoporosis Quiz: What is Osteoporosis?
What are the causes, symptoms, and risk factors of osteoporosis? Quiz yourself about vitamin deficiency, maintaining bone...
Picture of Dentures
A denture is a removable replacement for missing teeth and surrounding tissues. See a picture of Dentures and learn more about...
Picture of Teeth
The teeth are the hardest substances in the human body. See a picture of the Teeth and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Osteoporosis
Thinning of the bones with reduction in bone mass due to depletion of calcium and bone protein. See a picture of Osteoporosis and...
Treatments for Whiter Teeth and a Brighter Smile
Want brighter, whiter teeth? Brushing up on these photo tips can help keep your teeth white. Discover which smile-whitening ideas...
Related Disease Conditions
Gum disease is caused by plaque and may result in tooth loss without proper treatment. Symptoms and signs of gum disease...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
A toothache is a pain on or around a tooth. It may be caused by a variety of things from a cavity, abscess, or even sinusitis....
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Oral Health and Bone Disease - Experience
Please describe your experience with oral health and bone disease.Post View 2 Comments
Oral Health and Bone Disease - Concerns
What are your particular concerns regarding low bone density in your jaw and dental health issues?Post View 2 Comments
Oral Health and Bone Disease - Periodontal Disease
Do you have periodontal disease? Please discuss the treatments you have received.Post
Oral Health and Bone Disease - Dental X-rays
After receiving X-rays, did your dentist discuss bone density with you? Please share your experience.Post
Oral Health and Bone Disease - Taking Steps
Discuss the steps you've taken to protect your tooth and bone health.Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Coping With TMJ
- Health Tip: Take Care of Your Teeth
- Health Tip: Floss Properly
- Can Teeth Repair Themselves Without Fillings?
- Health Tip: Chewing Sugarless Gum
- Did Cavemen Use Toothpicks?
- Health Tip: Preventing Tooth Discoloration
- Many Americans Skip the Dentist Due to Cost
- Pesticide Exposures May Alter Mouth Bacteria
- Health Tip: Make Brushing Teeth Fun
- Health Tip: Avoid Damaging Teeth
- Dental Cleanings May Help Keep Lungs Clean, Too
- Health Tip: Schedule a Back-to-School Dental Exam
- Health Tip: Don't Forget About Your Teeth During Vacation
- E-Cigs May Damage Cells in Mouth
- Health Tip: Use a Cleaner Toothbrush
- Health Tip: Visiting the Dentist
- U.S. Lowers Recommended Fluoride Levels in Drinking Water
- Health Tip: Choosing Mouth-Healthy Foods
- Dental Insurance Doesn't Guarantee People Will Care for Their Teeth
- Health Tip: Considering an Oral Piercing?
- Annual Dental Cleaning May Be Enough for Some: Study
- Grow Your Own Replacement Tooth?
- Health Tip: Seniors, Be Prepared for Dental Visits
- Tooth Loss Associated With Higher Risk for Heart Disease
- 1 in 8 Adults May Have Sensitive Teeth
- Human Teeth Healthier in the Stone Age Than Today: Study
- Health Tip: Eating for Healthier Teeth
- Health Tip: When It's Smart to Have Wisdom Teeth Removed
- Health Tip: Mouth Piercings Can Be Dangerous
- Health Tip: If Your Teeth Are Sensitive
- Health Tip: Caring for an Older Person's Teeth
- Clues to Ancient Dentistry Found in Human Tooth
- Health Tip: Keep Your Teeth Healthier
- Cost, Not Fear, Keeps More People From Dentist
- Health Tip: Don't Neglect Oral Hygiene During Pregnancy
- Health Tip: Get Enough Calcium
- Does More Dental Plaque Mean Higher Chances of Dying From Cancer?
- Many Kids on Medicaid Don't See Dentist: Study
- Dentists Play Key Role in Detecting Oral Cancer
- Health Tip: Warning Signs of Gum Disease
- Health Tip: Am I at Risk for Gum Disease?
- Quitting Smoking May Halve Risk of Oral Health Problems
- Dentist Gives Advice to Keep Holiday Smiles Bright
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter