Trending Oral Health Topics
Toothache usually refers to pain around the teeth or jaws. In most instances, toothaches are caused by tooth or jaw problems, such as a dental cavity, a cracked tooth, an exposed tooth root, gum disease, disease of the jaw joint (TMJ), or spasms of the muscles used for chewing.
Watch this slideshow on how cosmetic dentistry can improve your smile? See before & after pictures of what braces, dental implants, crowns, veneers, teeth whitening, bridges -- or even a complete dental makeover -- can do for your smile.
Related Disease Conditions
An abscessed tooth is an infection within a tooth that has spread to the root. Symptoms of an abscessed tooth may include pain,...
Are Canker Sores Contagious?
Canker sores or aphthous ulcers are one of the most common causes of painful sores in the mouth. The actual cause of canker sores...
Are Cold Sores (Fever Blisters) Contagious?
About 20% of cases of cold sores are caused by herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), and approximately 80% of cold sores are...
Bad breath can result from poor oral hygiene habits and may be a sign of other health problems. Bad breath, also called...
Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS)
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is a condition that causes pain in the mouth. BMS may be caused by menopause, dry mouth or...
Canker Sores (Causes, Home Remedies, Treatment, and Prevention)
Canker sores are a common complaint, and are small ulcers on the inside of the mouth. Canker sores aren't contagious (as opposed...
Learn more about cavities including symptoms, treatment, and prevention. See how tooth decay, plaque, and bacteria contribute to...
Cleft Palate and Cleft Lip
Cleft palate and cleft lip are facial and oral defects that occur early in pregnancy. A cleft lip is a split of the two sides of...
Braces and Retainers
Find out more about how orthodontic braces and retainers can provide proper alignment to crooked teeth. Get information about the...
Dental injuries range from a chipped or fractured tooth to a knocked out tooth. Treatment depends upon the severity of the dental...
Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
Dry mouth is a common side effect of many prescription and non-prescription drugs and certain medical conditions. Symptoms of dry...
A dry socket is a potential complication that can occur when a blood clot in the gums becomes dislodged after a tooth extraction....
Gum disease is caused by plaque and may result in tooth loss without proper treatment. Symptoms and signs of gum disease...
Gum problems may be caused by improper brushing and flossing, gum disease, canker sores, treatments and hormonal changes....
Hyperdontia is a condition in which a person has an excessive amount of teeth (more than 20 primary teeth or 32 permanent teeth)....
Is Gingivitis Contagious?
Gingivitis is inflammation of the gums. Poor dental hygiene, stress, smoking, some medications, and a poor diet can cause...
Is Thrush Contagious?
Thrush is a fungal infection caused by Candida albicans. An infant with thrush can infect his/her mother with thrush during...
Leukoplakia is a white or gray patch that develops on the tongue or inside the cheek. Causes of Leukoplakia may include...
Oral Health and Bone Disease
Osteoporosis may be linked to bone loss in the jaw, which in turn, leads to tooth loss. Low bone density may result in...
Oral Health Problems in Children
Oral health problems in children include thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, lip sucking, tooth decay, and early tooth loss. Get...
Pericoronitis is inflammation of the gum tissue around the molars. Pericoronitis commonly occurs in teens or young people when...
Protect Your Teeth: 19 Bad Dental Habits to Avoid
Bad dental habits can wreck your teeth. Teeth grinding, chewing on ice, playing sports without a mouthguard, and eating and...
Chewing Tobacco (Smokeless Tobacco, Snuff)
Chewing tobacco (snuff or smokeless tobacco) has more nicotine absorbed into the system than by smoking a cigarette. Chewing...
The most common taste disorder is phantom taste perception; that is, a lingering, often unpleasant taste even though you have...
Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)
Bruxism is the medical term for teeth grinding. Bruxism may be caused by stress or anxiety and often happens during sleep....
Teething in babies typically starts between 4 and 10 months of age. Symptoms and signs of cutting teeth include rash, drooling,...
There are a variety of diseases and conditions that can cause tongue problems, discoloration, and soreness. Though most tongue...
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
A toothache is a pain on or around a tooth. It may be caused by a variety of things from a cavity, abscess, or even sinusitis....
Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars that people get in their late teens or early twenties. Impacted wisdom teeth that only...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Actinic Cheilitis
Actinic cheilitis is a precancerous condition that usually appears on the lower lips. See a picture of Actinic Cheilitis and...
Picture of Allergic Reaction to Lipstick Tattoo
Some people develop allergic reactions to tattoo pigments -- especially red pigments. See a picture of Lipstick Tattoo Allergic...
Bad Breath (Halitosis): 17 Causes and How to Get Rid of It
Do you know what causes bad breath (halitosis)? Learn how drinking alcohol, gum disease, poor health, smoking, certain foods like...
Treatments for Whiter Teeth and a Brighter Smile
Want brighter, whiter teeth? Brushing up on these photo tips can help keep your teeth white. Discover which smile-whitening ideas...
Picture of Cold Sore and Canker Sore
Cold sores and canker sores aren't the same. See a picture of Cold Sore and Canker Sore and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Cold Sore Between Nose and Mouth
Can a cold sore appear somewhere other than your lip? They are not as common, but cold sores can appear anywhere on the face,...
Picture of Cold Sores Treatment
You can't cure HSV or a cold sore, but you can alleviate the pain it causes by avoiding spicy or acidic foods, applying ice, and...
Picture of Composite Fillings
Existing fillings sometimes need to be replaced due to wear, chipping, or cracking. See a picture of Composite Fillings and learn...
Cosmetic Dentistry Before and After Photos
How can cosmetic dentistry improve your smile? See before and after pictures of orthodontics (braces), dental implants, crowns,...
Picture of Dental Bonding
Dental bonding is a procedure in which a tooth-colored resin is applied and hardened with a special light, ultimately "bonding"...
Picture of Dental Bridge
Dental bridges literally bridge the gap created by one or more missing teeth. See a picture of Dental Bridges and learn more...
Picture of Dental Crown
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped "cap" that is placed over a tooth covering the tooth to restore its shape and size, strength,...
Dental Images of Cavities, Dry Sockets, Gingivitis
Learn about dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, bad breath, and oral cancer. Explore procedures such as root canals,...
Picture of Dental Implant
Dental implants are replacement tooth roots made of titanium. See a picture of Dental Implants and learn more about the health...
Picture of Dental Makeover
A combination of dental techniques can be used to achieve a great smile. See a picture of Dental Makeover and learn more about...
Dental (Oral) Health Quiz: Test Your Dental Hygiene IQ
Take the Dental Health Quiz to test your IQ of oral hygiene, cavities, and common tongue and gum diseases. This quiz covers...
Picture of Dental Veneers
Veneers (sometimes called porcelain laminates) are wafer-thin, custom-made shells that cover the front surface of teeth, changing...
Picture of Dentures
A denture is a removable replacement for missing teeth and surrounding tissues. See a picture of Dentures and learn more about...
Dry Mouth Causes, Treatments, and Remedies
What causes dry mouth (xerostomia)? How do you get rid of and cure dry mouth? Learn about dry mouth symptoms as well as natural...
Picture of Enamel Reshaping
Recontouring or reshaping is a procedure in which small amounts of tooth enamel are removed or shaped to change a tooth's length,...
Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth
Explore which dental habits are terrible for your teeth. Is chewing ice bad for your teeth? How do you avoid rotten teeth? Learn...
Picture of Herpes Blister (Cold Sore)
Cold sores (fever blisters) are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV), passed on through contact with infected skin or body...
Picture of Orthodontics (Braces)
Braces can correct crooked teeth or a misaligned bite, and can improve the health and appearance of anyone's smile, adult or...
Picture of Strep Throat
Strep infection often produces a distinct pattern of white patches in the throat and on the tonsils, as well as red swollen...
Slideshow: Top Tips for Beautiful Teeth and Gums
Explore tips for beautiful teeth and gums. Brighten your smile and keep healthy gums with these easy and simple tools....
Picture of Teeth
The teeth are the hardest substances in the human body. See a picture of the Teeth and learn more about the health topic....
Teeth Whitening: Facts, Types, and Products That Work
Explore the facts about teeth whitening. What is the best teeth whitening option for you? Learn about different teeth whitening...
Picture of Teeth Whitening
Many teeth-whitening systems are available, including whitening toothpastes, over-the-counter gels, rinses, strips, and trays,...
Picture of Tongue
The tongue is a muscular organ in the mouth. See a picture of the Tongue and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Tonsil Stones
Tonsil stones (also called tonsilloliths) form when bacteria and mucus get trapped and calcify in your tonsils' nooks and...
Picture of Tonsils
The tonsils (palatine tonsils) are a pair of soft tissue masses located at the rear of the throat (pharynx). See a picture of the...
Top Problems in Your Mouth
Learn about some of the most common problems in your mouth such as sores, oral cancer, TMJ, painful gums, bad breath and more....
The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush & Germs
Learn the ugly truth about your toothbrush. Are you practicing good oral hygiene? See how to store and keep your toothbrush clean...
Picture of Types of Braces
Metal braces are still used, but many other options are available. See a picture of Types of Braces and learn more about the...
What Your Teeth and Gums Say About Your Health
See how diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, and more health problems are related to gum disease and oral health....
Picture of Yeast Infections (Thrush in Babies)
Thrush is a yeast infection that causes white patches in the mouth and on the tongue. See a picture of Yeast Infection (Thrush)...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Caring for Teeth With Braces or Retainers
- Caring for Your Dentures
- Choosing a Toothbrush
- Choosing a Toothpaste
- Dental Bonding
- Dental Care for Babies
- Dental Crowns
- Dental Implants
- Dental Sealants
- Dental Veneers
- Dental X-Rays
- Dental X-Rays: When to Get Them
- Lasers in Dental Care
- Mouth Guards
- Oral Surgery
- Problems With Dental Fillings
- Root Canal
- Taking Dental Medications
- Teeth and Gum Care
- Teeth Whitening
- Abscessed Tooth
- Angular Cheilitis
- Bad Breath
- Bad Taste in the Mouth
- Bleeding Gums
- Burning Mouth Syndrome
- Dry Mouth
- Dry Socket
- Gum Disease
- Hairy Tongue
- Jaw Pain
- Loss of Taste Sensation
- Lump or Mass on Gums
- Metallic Taste in the Mouth
- Mouth Sores
- Tingling Tongue
- Painful Gums
- Sore Tongue
- Swollen Lip
- Swollen Tongue
- Thrush (Oral Candidiasis)
- White Tongue
- Abscessed Tooth Symptoms
- Do You Have to Get Teeth Pulled to Get Braces?
- How Do Dentists Fill Cavities?
- How Do You Prevent Cavities?
- How to Get Rid of Tongue Buildup
- What Are Dental Cavities?
- What Are Retainers?
- What Causes Cavities?
- Why Do You Need Braces?
- Bruxism: Do You Grind Your Teeth?
- Cavities Between Teeth
- How Do Braces Work?
- Tooth Eruption Chart
Medications & Supplements
- benzydamine (oral rinse)
- chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinse (Peridex, Periogard, Periochip)
- cocaine hydrochloride
- docosanol - topical, Abreva
- lidocaine viscous
- pilocarpine, Salagen
- sodium fluoride 1.1% dental gel - topical, Karidium, Karigel, Prevident
- sodium fluoride 0.02% rinse - dental, Phos-Flur
- sodium fluoride 0.2% rinse - dental, Nafrinse, Prevident
- sodium fluoride gel - dental
- sodium fluoride 1.1% toothpaste - dental
- stannous fluoride gel - dental, Flo-Gel, Gel-Kam
- stannous fluoride 0.63% oral care rinse - dental, Gel-Kam
- tranexamic acid (injection, Cyklokapron)
- triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% dental paste (Kenalog Orabase, Oralone)
Prevention & Wellness
- After Wisdom Tooth Removal, Watch Out for 'Dry Socket'
- Are You Ignoring Gum Disease?
- Botox May Help Ease 'Burning Mouth' Syndrome
- Can Teeth Repair Themselves Without Fillings?
- Can't Afford the Dentist? You're Not Alone
- Controversial Chemical Can Linger on Your Toothbrush
- Dental Anxiety Has Consequences Beyond Tooth Decay
- Health Tip: Dental Association Supports Fluoridated Water
- Did Cavemen Use Toothpicks?
- DIY Teeth-Straightening: Don't Try This at Home
- Do Your Pearly Whites Sometimes Cause You Pain?
- First Stop for Scuba Divers: The Dentist's Office?
- Gum Disease Tied to Yet Another Deadly Illness
- Health Tip: Attacked by Plaque
- Health Tip: Avoid Tooth Sensitivity
- Health Tip: Bleeding Gums During Pregnancy?
- Health Tip: Care for Your Braces
- Health Tip: Chewing Sugarless Gum
- Health Tip: Children and Thumbsucking
- Health Tip: Coping With TMJ
- Health Tip: Culprits Behind Stained Teeth
- Health Tip: Encouraging Your Kids to Brush
- Health Tip: Finding The Right Dentist
- Health Tip: Floss Properly
- Health Tip: Kick Your Sugary Drink Habit
- Health Tip: Manage Dry Mouth
- Health Tip: Overcoming Dental Anxiety
- Health Tip: Preventing Tooth Discoloration
- Health Tip: Some Foods Are Good for Teeth
- Health Tip: Take Care of Your Teeth
- Health Tip: Talk to the Dentist About a Sealant
- Health Tip: When Children Grind Their Teeth
- Healthy Gums Tied to Longer Lives for Women
- Marijuana May Make Your Gums Go to Pot
- More Evidence Ties Gum Health to Stroke Risk
- Need Braces? Say Goodbye to 'Metal-Mouth' Taunts
- Could Prefab Blood Vessels Revolutionize Root Canals?
- Some Medical Ills Call for Dental Detective Work
- Health Tip: Starting a Tooth Brushing Routine Early
- Brushing Up on Dental Products
- Change Your Breath From Bad to Good
- Dental - Good Medicine May Lead To Bad Teeth
- Dental -Those Aching Baby Teeth!
- Dental Decay & Fluorinated Water
- Dental Pain: How to Ease The Pain
- Dental: Brushing and Flossing Your Child's Teeth
- Dental: Crooked Teeth
- Dental: Easing Children's Fears of the Dentist
- Dental: Easing Dental Phobia in Adults
- Dental: Handling Dental Emergencies
- Dental: Preventing Tooth Decay and Cavities
- Dental: Recontouring Teeth
- Dental: Your Child's First Dental Visit
- Dentist and Golfer -- Cary Middlecoff
- Dentist: Open Wide and Relax -- Really!
- Dentistry: Do-It-Yourself Dentistry
- Don't Fear the Dentist
- Dry Mouth
- Links Between Oral and General Health
- Make Over Your Mouth
- Oral Health Care
- Ordinary vs. Powered Toothbrushes
- Dental: Straight Talk About Perfect Teeth
- Toothache...Treatments 200 Years Ago!