Patient Comments: Oral Cancer - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your oral cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: deanna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am going through a lot of oral issues in the last few months, sore on my tongue, pain in my throat, hard to swallow, dry mouth and food getting stuck; whew big list... I have been to a few doctors and they just brushed me off. Finally I pushed and had CT scan and they found a couple lumps. Now I've got to go for tongue scan. I knew it. I say as I too was a caregiver of my dear mother who passed two years ago of the very same thing, I watched her go through oral cancer and knew always. Trust your own judgment and follow your heart.

Comment from: aud123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Months ago I was noticing a white patch on my tongue. Being too busy I dismissed it as something my inhalers did from asthma. When my tongue started to feel irritated I went to an ENT Doctor (ear, nose and throat). I was pawned off to her assistant who treated me for thrush for a month. Finally, I insisted on seeing the actual doctor who upon first sight of my tongue suggested a biopsy from a good hospital. I called the hospital and couldn't get an appointment for a month. Finally, two days after a painful biopsy I was told I had squamous cell carcinoma (cancer) in my mouth. I'm looking at losing close to half my tongue to surgery because I had bad medical treatment. Let's face it. The earlier you catch cancer the better the outcome will be. Needless to say if you look in your mouth and your tongue looks questionable go to an oral surgeon and have a biopsy ASAP. Good Health to all.

Comment from: R.Twicks, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have noticed odd slightly rough (very fine bumps) like patches in my mouth that are in brownish grey blue in parts of my cheek. A similar texture is found on my lips. I found that when I eat certain food, apples for example, it causes my lips to swell and the roughness to become more pronounced. I used to smoke (not heavily) and I don't over drink. There is no pain and it does not seem to be leukoplakia. I am concerned if it could be oral cancer.

Comment from: Shirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Last year my tongue started getting painful areas on it, and had knot-like areas. I went to my doctor then to allergist, then to ENT, and now am being shuffled and dismissed as allergies or gastrointestinal reflux. I took antibiotics and steroids for nearly 6 months. In December, a cyst burst on the under part of my tongue, and it got better. Now some 5 months later, I started getting little sores on my tongue, not really noticeable but you could feel them and they are painful. The ones on top of my tongue went away, but now under my tongue where it attaches to the back of my throat, I can feel a knot. I went today to ENT, had an ultrasound, which showed nothing. Now I'm being shuffled off with no follow up, no diagnosis, and no idea of what this is. I know my body, and this is not normal. I am concerned that it might be oral cancer, but I don't know what to do next.

Comment from: Herb, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

Symptoms of my oral cancer were non-healing mouth and tongue sore.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 09

I have a painful white lesion on the middle of my tongue. I wonder if I should have it checked by a doctor to see if it is oral cancer.

Comment from: maureen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I recently had problems swallowing and then it became pain in the throat and right ear. I went to a Thanksgiving dinner but could not eat or swallow so I gummed mashed potatoes. I stopped at an urgent care and I was told I had a cancer sore the size of a 50 cent. So the doctor gave me amoxicillin-clavulanate antibiotic! After I took the huge pill which I had to break into 4 pieces to swallow my tongue became swollen and burned every time I tried to eat or swallow. Everything I try to eat tastes like mega salt taste. Nothing helps, I was also given a mouth wash at the same time! My tongue is still numb and swollen but not as red now. I am not taking either prescription but still having the salt taste all the time and I seem to have taste bud problem. It hurts and I don't know where to go!

Comment from: delia5165, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

At age 35, I was diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer. I was very lucky to have a team of outstanding doctors. When I was 32, I went to see an oral surgeon, and he just brushed me off saying it was a reaction to nicotine. Being young and trusting, I just let it go at that. Well needless to say it was cancer! From that day on my life has changed, the quality of life is terrible, I had a good job that I was unable to do anymore -- I was a 411 operator. It is difficult to eat, talk -- the little things we take for granted became a challenge. Please if you have a sore or white or red patches in your mouth demand a biopsy. I didn't, and underwent an 18-hour surgery in which they had to remove almost half of my tongue and the floor of my mouth, I was cut open from the middle of my bottom lip down my neck and across my neck to the back of my ear. I had more than 1,500 stitches. I had reconstruction, but as I said before, the little things like eating and speaking are a challenge and very painful. A lot of these doctors are in it for the money and yes money is important but more important than that is to find a doctor that cares about their patients and not just the paycheck. If you die, they still get paid! Well, August will be 10 years that I am cancer-free, so I am one of the lucky ones.

Comment from: hunnibee23, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I'm 22 and my tongue has been acting funny for 6 months now. I did some research and I think it is oral cancer. My mouth is sensitive from the roof of my mouth to every swallow. I really can't deal with the pain anymore and I don't have any medical insurance.

Comment from: MarcyLynn78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have had a white patch in the way back corner of my mouth on the left side. It's so far back that when they tell me to open my mouth the tongue hides it so they never see it. I have taken a picture but every single doctor I've been to say my mouth looks fine and there's nothing wrong. I feel the white patch and it's sometimes painful. I am at a loss, as they will not give me any testing and claim I am having pain from a nerve. I've had this going on 5 months now and it's also causing dry mouth and other sensations of the tongue. I was also told by a dentist that I have 'smokers" mouth even though I have never smoked which makes me worry I could possibly have some form of mouth cancer.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

My tongue has been numb about a month. I have a blister under my tongue. The inside portion of my mouth on both sides have sores that have not healed. I am clenching my jaws and it is so painful that I wear a brace at night. Some days I can not move my neck. I have difficulty swallowing food. I have growths in my back that are to be biopsied; now I have made an appointment with a dentist. I am nervous about all this stuff and did not intend to post anything. I was just researching information. Now, I don't know if I want to go to a dentist at all.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have a very frequent sore throat. Almost once every month. I have been smoking for 7 years and it has been 2 years since I started to have sore throat symtoms. I will have phlem, green maybe with little blood while having pain, or yellow, and tend to have phlem irritation even when my throat is no longer in pain. This time, the sore throat came back, and I finished the antibotics but my throat is still very sore. I have seen a specialist before but my sore throat will always come back.

Comment from: Gregg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I have had surgery to remove cancer from my tongue about a year ago. Following that I had two months of chemotherapy and radiation. My problem beyond having half my tongue removed is that the associated pain was so high I took everything in via feeding tube to this day. I am now trying to learn how to do something simple such as drink water without aspirating it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to relearn the ability to swallow liquid and then learn to take in soft food via mouth as well? I am concerned that I can't relearn that simple action.

Comment from: edthecat, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 17

I have had pain on the top of my tongue at the back and it has lasted for about 5 months. There is an area that looks like a growth and it is about 3/4 " x 1/4" in size. The pain spreads to other parts of the tongue sometimes.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

Please don't take this form of cancer lightly. The minute it is a stage one it is time for aggressive treatment chemo, radiation. Second opinions are critical to make sure you are in the right place. My sister had several laser treatments, etc. and an operation on her tongue. It wasn't until it hit her lymph node (stage 3) that she had the surgery, chemo and radiation. By then it was too late and it spread everywhere. Oral cancer is one of the most aggressive cancers.

Comment from: jujubee0523, Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have not seen a dentist yet, but have had throat and nose issues with a long black lesion in the back part of the gum. I wear dentures and it has been there for over 2 years. I thought it was just black and blue. It is not the case.

Comment from: rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Two weeks ago I had surgery the doctor removed an ulcer on my vocal box, since then I have this burning feeling on my tongue and the roof of my mouth and my tongue is cracking and a brown spot on my tongue. What's going on thank you.

Comment from: Wrightsassy, 55-64 Female Published: June 04

I have a place on the bottom inside of my mouth at gum level that is tender and is not getting better. On the outside of the jaw there is a bump or lump. Sometimes my jaw aches. I thought that I had an abscessed tooth, but where the problem is there is not a tooth.

Comment from: annie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My sister in law has had sore throats and mouth ulcers for 2 to 3 months. I looked in her mouth and it was full of ulcers and her tongue is black there is a hole at the right hand back of her tongue it is painful and she can't eat probably, but she is scared of the doctors.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter