Patient Comments: Oral Cancer - Diagnosis

How was your oral cancer diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: WakeForestPatient, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I noticed a sore on the side of my inside cheek. It was painful while chewing. I went to my general physician and was referred to an oral cancer specialist. It was diagnosed as squamous cell carcinoma. Surgery involved removing that section of inner cheek, replacing it with skin from my wrist, removal and testing of lymph nodes along the neck. It was pretty significant surgery. I don't drink or smoke, but a number of doctors and dentists have told me that use of Listerine could have caused it because of the high alcohol content. If you notice any sores on your tongue or in your mouth, get to a doctor as soon as possible and demand a biopsy. Oral cancer is a very dangerous cancer because it can spread to other parts of your body and through your lymph system. Do not play around with this. Yes, it's scary, but, when caught early, it can be stopped. Go to the doctor!

Comment from: momydearest, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I went to the dentist for my 6 month checkup. He noticed red spots going down my throat and sent me to an ENT. I had cancer of the soft palate. I had no symptoms. I'm thankful to him it was caught early. It was surgically removed and today I am cured. No radiation or chemotherapy was needed.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter