The term oral cancer includes cancer of the mouth (oral cavity) and the back of the mouth (oropharynx). Red and white patches inside the mouth, bleeding, loose teeth, pain upon swallowing, a lump in the neck, earache, and a sore on your lip or in your mouth that won't heal are all symptoms of oral cancer. Treatment for oral cancer depends upon the staging of the disease and usually involves surgery, radiation therapy, or chemotherapy. Read more: Oral Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Dental (Oral) Health Quiz: Test Your Dental Hygiene IQ
Take the Dental Health Quiz to test your IQ of oral hygiene, cavities, and common tongue and gum diseases. This quiz covers...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Top Problems in Your Mouth
Learn about some of the most common problems in your mouth such as sores, oral cancer, TMJ, painful gums, bad breath and more....
Dental Images of Cavities, Dry Sockets, Gingivitis
Learn about dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, bad breath, and oral cancer. Explore procedures such as root canals,...
Head and Neck Cancers: Symptoms and Treatments
Head and neck cancers include cancers of the throat, lips, nose, mouth, larynx, and salivary glands. They are more likely to...
Related Disease Conditions
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Genital Warts in Women (HPV)
Genital warts is an infection caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is the most common sexually transmitted infection...
A toothache is a pain on or around a tooth. It may be caused by a variety of things from a cavity, abscess, or even sinusitis....
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Cancer fatigue is a lack of energy that is caused by cancer or cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiation, biological...
Leukoplakia is a white or gray patch that develops on the tongue or inside the cheek. Causes of Leukoplakia may include...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
There are a variety of diseases and conditions that can cause tongue problems, discoloration, and soreness. Though most tongue...
Genital Warts in Men (HPV)
The HPV virus (genital warts) in men can cause health problems. Genital warts are confined primarily to the moist skin of the...
Chewing Tobacco (Smokeless Tobacco, Snuff)
Chewing tobacco (snuff or smokeless tobacco) has more nicotine absorbed into the system than by smoking a cigarette. Chewing...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow, and how abnormal they look under a...
HPV (Human Papillomavirus Infection)
HPVs or human papillomaviruses are a group of viral infections of the skin and mucous membranes. Certain high-risk types of HPV...
Oral Cancer - Symptoms
What are the symptoms of your oral cancer?Post View 38 Comments
Oral Cancer - Diagnosis
How was your oral cancer diagnosed?Post View 4 Comments
Oral Cancer - Side Effects
Oral cancer treatment can make chewing and talking difficult. What side effects have been challenging for you?Post
Oral Cancer - Treatment
What types of treatment or surgery have you had to treat your oral cancer?Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Early Detection of Cancer
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Chest X-Ray
- Endoscopy (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, EGD)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Questions To Ask Before Surgery
- Radiation Therapy
- Dental Implants
- Lasers in Dental Care
- Plastic Surgery (Cosmetic Surgery)
- Caring for Your Dentures
- Dental X-Rays
- Dental X-Rays: When to Get Them
- Advance Medical Directives
- Sore Throat (Pharyngitis)
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Cancer and Green Tea
- Cancer Pain Management with Ann Reiner
- Cancer: The Importance of Joining a Cancer Support Group with Selma Schimmel
- Cancer Patients Need Proper Diet and Exercise
- Cancer: Living Well Despite with Win Boerckel
- Cancer Treatment: Writing to Heal with Margie Davis
- Cancer Survival and Attitude with Hamilton Jordan
- Cancer: Confronting Cancer with Humor
- Cancer: Journaling to Save Your Life
- Mouth Sores
- Sore Tongue
- Lump or Mass on Gums
- Painful Gums
- Bad Breath
- Bad Taste in the Mouth
Medications & Supplements
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- fentanyl patch (Duragesic)
- Nicorette Gum (nicotine polacrilex, Nicorelief, Nicorette, Thrive)
- nicotine inhaler - oral, Nicotrol
- nicotine spray - nasal, Nicotrol NS
- nicotine patch (Nicoderm CQ, Habitrol)
- Dilaudid vs. Fentanyl (Pain Strength Comparison and Side Effects)
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Recognize Symptoms of Oral Cancer
- Tobacco Tied to Higher Risk of Oral HPV Infection, Study Finds
- The Future of Cancer Detection
- 1 in 10 Deaths Among Adults Tied to Alcohol: CDC
- HPV-Linked Oral Cancers May Not Be 'Contagious'
- HPV-Linked Throat Cancer May Have Telltale First Symptoms
- Obesity May Be Tied to Lower Survival Rates for Tongue Cancer Patients
- Despite Major Progress, Some Childhood Cancers Are Still Killers
- Poor Oral Hygiene Tied to Cancer-Linked Virus, Study Finds
- HPV May Also Raise Risk of Throat Cancer
- HPV Vaccine Might Shield Women Against Throat Cancer: Study
- Michael Douglas Blames His Throat Cancer on Oral Sex
- Health Tip: Don't Smoke for a Better Smile
- 'Wake-Up' Cigarette May Raise Risk for Lung, Mouth Cancers
- Which Cancer Tests Do You Really Need?
- Coffee May Lower Risk of Death From Mouth Cancer: Study
- New Gene Test Predicts Whose Mouth Lesions Might Be Cancerous
- Cancer-Causing Chemical in Smokeless Tobacco ID'd
- Blood Pressure Drugs Linked to Lip Cancer in Study
- Dentists Play Key Role in Detecting Oral Cancer
- Health Highlights: March 19, 2012
- Health Tip: Am I at Risk for Gum Disease?
- Health Tip: Chewing Tobacco Harms Oral Health
- Quitting Smoking May Halve Risk of Oral Health Problems
- Oral HPV Infection Strikes Men More Than Women: Study
- HPV-Linked Oral Cancers on the Rise, Study Finds
- 4 Things You Didn't Know About Oral Sex
- 15 Cancer Symptoms Men Ignore
- Oral Cancer Prevention
- Cancer Treatment: Getting the Support You Need
- Cancer Treatment: Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Oral Health Care
- Cancer Survival - Better & Longer Survival Rates
- Cancer Treatment - Managing Eating Problems
- Cancer Treatment: Pre-Treatment Eating Tips
- Cancer Pain, A Guide for You and Your Family
- Cancer and Sexual Health
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter