Patient Comments: Optic Neuritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your optic neuritis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gai, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

My doctor phoned tonight to suggest I was suffering from thyroid storm. Symptoms are weakness, rapid weight loss, nausea, diarrhea, rapid heartbeat, light coughing, and general unwellness. I have an appointment tomorrow.

Comment from: mamalisa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had bone spurs from both heels removed 20 years ago which was great, but I have both hips and spine spurs now. I can't walk just to and from the car, I don't carry much, and steps are a no, no. I can't stand to do dishes, I am having pain with any motion, no pain when I sit or lie. I have a lot of depression and anxiety from pain, so I feel useless.

Comment from: Truckingangel05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had brain surgery in 2012. My neuro eye doctor couldn"t figure out why my optic nerves were swollen; because my head had been cut open. Along with blurred vision I was having bad head pressure. Top and back of head hurt to touch. So he sent me to the emergency room where they did an MRI and MRV. I also had a spinal tap because my pressure was severely high. Following week the neuro eye doctor put me on acetazolamide and I was still having head pressure but no blurred vision. I went to see a neuro oncologist and he upped the dose to 2 pills 3 times a day. I"ve had bare minimal head pressure but he said optic nerves are still swollen. So I'm hoping the medications continue to work and the optic nerves go back to normal.

Comment from: vaymer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I noticed pain in my left eye and back of my head about one week ago, and took Aleve, thinking it would go away. Unfortunately, it got worse when my field of vision became minimal about two days ago, out of nowhere. I was told to immediately go to an eye specialist, who performed tests and an MRI and diagnosed the issue as optic neuritis. I have now been in the hospital for two days, receiving IV treatment of methylprednisolone and I plan to be here another two days. A small white matter was found during the MRI, but I am hoping that it does not turn out to be MS (multiple sclerosis); only time and more blood work will tell.

Comment from: evianers, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am at my wits' end as twice now I have been hospitalized. Every test available has been done, including lumbar puncture, intravenous cortisone, oral prednisone, four MRIs, and nothing seems to work. I wonder if there is the likelihood that the persistent dull ache will go away. It's really difficult to deal with. Cannot believe I might have to live with this for years. It has been three months with optic neuritis now and no improvement.

Comment from: Parkeryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had a severe pain in my head once on my cycle. I took a pain reliever and it went away. Then a year later I experienced floaters. Sometimes I am bothered at night with trouble adjusting vision and more floaters because of the optic neuritis maybe.

Comment from: my dad, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My dad lost his vision in both eyes due to optic neuritis. Doctor told there is no treatment for it.

Comment from: jyoti, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm 28 year old. I am suffering from severe agony pain on my right side head and right eye blurred vision. I went to see my ophthalmologist. He gave me dexamethasone steroid eye drop to put in my eye because of inflammation in the middle part of the cornea. MRI scan didn't show any inflammation in brain. This headache killing me every day. They can't tell if it is optic neuritis or not because my vision is fine, just little blurry in my right eye. I'm taking diclofenac sodium but seems only temporary help.

Comment from: gale, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I used baby oil to remove my makeup and it went into my eye. Days later I experienced pain when I moved my right eye. Three days later I lost about 10% vision and went to the hospital. I was diagnosed with optic neuritis in April 13 after many blood test and an MRI. I was treated with IV steroids for three days with checkups every fortnight for 6 weeks and then discharged. Five Months later I started feeling pressure when I bend down and have pain in my right temple.

Comment from: Orange girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

In 2007 I stood up and the vision in my right eye went black for a few seconds and I ignored it. I always had headaches/migraines. It wasn't until a week later that I realized I couldn't see out of my right eye, just light. I went to the doctor and was admitted to the hospital for a week with a severe case of optic neuritis. The IV medicines made me throw up and caused my blood pressure to sky rocket. The cure was worse than the sickness. I had zero eye pain. My headaches were an everyday thing so I really didn't know anything was so wrong. It's been six and a half years since that happened.

Comment from: littlefruitbat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am currently on intravenous (IV) steroids for optic neuritis. I have limited vision in my right eye - it's like looking through a lens smeared with grey Vaseline.

Comment from: lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

It started with a severe headache that lasted 3 months. I woke up one morning with blurred vision in my left eye (20/20 my whole life). I went to the hospital for 5 days to have IV steroids then oral steroids for several weeks. All the tests are negative and I only have about 90% vision in that eye. It has been 4 years and no answers.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

I am 40 years old and was diagnosed with optic neuritis in August 2012. It took a week, 3 ER visits, and a diagnosis from an ophthalmologist before I was finally given IV steroids followed by 60 mg daily for a month. Just under 3 weeks of being totally off prednisone, I had another episode. This one is not as painful, there is no vomiting this time. I am told that the degree of pain is rare. I begin my three day course of IV therapy tomorrow. I believe mine is caused by a family history of rare autoimmune diseases. The blessing from all of this is while investigating my eye, doctors discovered a brain aneurysm. My doctors currently feel the aneurysm was discovered in enough time to prevent a rupture. However, I would not wish the pain or vision loss induced by optic neuritis on my worst enemy.

Comment from: faithfullywaiting, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm 24 and I was diagnosed with optic neuritis about 1 year ago and I'm worried I won't ever be able to see out of that eye again. It wasn't the best birthday present I could have asked for, but life is cruel. I don't have MS or any other autoimmune disease which is frustrating because there is nothing I can do the doctors say. I chose not to have steroids done initially which I regret, I waited about 8 months before choosing to take steroids. They only caused me more pain. I also tried a homeopathic route and had no luck.

Comment from: John barnes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had optic neuritis. It's been 2 years now, and it looks like it's there for life as I have got MS. We take too much for granted.

Comment from: Becca, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had two episodes of optic neuritis. Both were treated with intravenous Solu-Medrol.

Comment from: rosek, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

My first incident was in November of 2012. The visual acuity loss was 20/200 in my left eye, but a decent 20/50 in the right. I received steroid injections and found a great improvement in the pain along with a return to decent vision. However, in February of 2013, my right eye flared again. Despite using steroidal eye drops, I needed another injection.

Comment from: ajw, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

The treatment for my optic neuritis was a Prednisolone tablet for my first attack and then an intravenous steroid during my time on the ward. Then two tablets of Prednisolone again for the second optic neuritis attack.

Comment from: lisa acartlitch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Have had optic neuritis for nearly a year now, went through all the tests for MS, brain scans, spinal tap etc, all negative but eye is still the same with about a 90% loss of vision. This is sadly my good eye, the other one is a lazy eye so have had a lot of problems adjusting. They say make sure it doesn't reoccur - hard to know how to stop it as it appeared from nowhere.

Comment from: DI, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

One month ago I lost 100% vision in my R eye over the course of approximately 1 week, and lots of pain with eye movement. I had a MRI showing no other changes. I was given option of having 3 day course of IV steroids, followed by 1 week decreasing dose of oral steroids, which I agreed to. My vision is returning slowly.

Comment from: menalmum01, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I was unfortunate enough to have been diagnosed with Optic Neuritis in both eyes on 21/05/2011. I was admitted to hospital for 5 days. I had an MRI scan and a Lumber Puncture. I was diagnosed by the Ophthalmology consultant following many tests. At its height I lost 80% vision in my left eye and 50% in my right eye. I took approx 9 days to get to the worse loss. After approx 10 days I had recovered about 90% of my original vision, except for an acute oversaturation of light which forced me to wear sunglasses all the time. After 10 days from leaving hospital I started getting a headache over my right eye and within 3 days had again lost 40% of vision in my right eye. It is apparently unusual to have a reoccurrence so quickly after the first diagnosis. All I can do is wait for my sight to return. However long it will take. I hope this helps. Best Wishes.

Comment from: anupam, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I am suffering for last 10 years and taking medicines like azathioprine tab along with mecobalamin tab and if it doesn't work then take methyl prednisolone injection (intravenous).

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter