- walnuts, and
- canola oil.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Heart Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take our Heart Disease Quiz to get answers and facts about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis prevention, and the causes,...
Picture of Cholesterol
Cholesterol carried in particles of low density (LDL cholesterol) is referred to as the "bad" cholesterol because elevated levels...
Am I Having a Heart Attack? Symptoms of Heart Disease
Heart attacks symptoms vary greatly for men and women, from anxiety and fatigue to nausea and sweating. Learn the warning signs...
The Benefits of Omega 3 Foods on Heart Health
What are the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids? Learn how Omega 3 rich foods like fish oil, salmon, walnuts, & more can boost brain...
Heart-Healthy Diet: 25 Foods to Protect Your Cardiovascular System
See 25 foods loaded with heart-healthy nutrients that help protect your cardiovascular system. Plus, find easy meal/recipes and...
Food Swaps for Meals and Snacks for Heart Health in Pictures
Explore 10 food swaps for heart-wise dining. Learn what food to buy and how to cook in order to make a big difference for your...
Related Disease Conditions
Diabetes Diet for Type 2 Diabetes, List of Foods
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
How the Heart Works
The heart is a very important organ in the body. It is responsible for continuously pumping oxygen and nutrient-rich blood...
12 Foods to Eat to Relieve Constipation
Constipation is a common problem, and almost everyone has been constipated at one time or another. There are foods that can help...
Heart Attack Symptoms and Early Warning Signs in Women and Men
Recognizing heart attack symptoms and signs can help save your life or that of someone you love. Some heart attack symptoms,...
How to Lower Triglycerides Naturally
Trigylcerides are fatty molecules that travel in the bloodstream. Excess sugar and fat can increase triglyceride levels....
Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatments)
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Differences, Normal Ranges, Meanings)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
A sty is a bump that forms on the eyelid as a result of a blocked gland. Styes may be caused by infections, burns, or trauma to...
Tension Headache (Symptoms, Relief, Causes, Treatment)
A tension headache s one of the most common types of headaches, and the exact cause is not known. Factors that may contribute to...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
Mercury is a naturally occurring element found in water, soil, and the air. Mercury also is contained in some fish, some of the...
Fatty Liver (NASH)
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or NASH occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver...
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Migraine vs. Headache: Differences and Similarities
Headaches are the most common reason why a person goes to the doctor or other healthcare professional for treatment. There are...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Heart Rhythm Disorders)
Heart rhythm disorders vary from minor palpitations, premature atrial contractions (PACs), premature ventricular contractions...
High Blood Pressure Treatment (Natural Home Remedies, Diet, Medications)
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
Heart Attack Pathology: Photo Essay
A heart attack is a layperson's term for a sudden blockage of a coronary artery. This photo essay includes graphics, pictures,...
Dry eyes are caused by an imbalance in the tear-flow system of the eye, but also can be caused by the drying out of the tear...
Retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is a genetic condition that causes retinal degeneration and eventual vision loss. Symptoms include...
The cornea is the clear outer layer of the eye. If it is damaged by disease, infection, or injury, vision problems may occur....
Heart Disease in Women
Heart disease in women has somewhat different symptoms, risk factors, and treatment compared to heart disease in men. Many women...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Heart Attack Treatment
A heart attack involves damage or death of part of the heart muscle due to a blood clot. The aim of heart attack treatment is to...
Low Cholesterol Diet
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
High Cholesterol: Frequently Asked Questions
Cholesterol occurs naturally in the body. High blood cholesterol levels increase a person's risk of developing heart disease,...
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Heart Disease Treatment in Women
Heart disease treatment in women should take into account female-specific guidelines that were developed by the American Heart...
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Triglycerides (Tests and Lowering Your Triglyceride Levels)
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG)
- Angioplasty and Stents
- Exercise Stress Test
- Homocysteine (Normal and Elevated Levels Blood Test)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft
- Coronary Angiogram
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Coronary Heart Disease Screening Tests (CAD)
Medications & Supplements
- ACE Inhibitors (Side Effects, List of Names, Uses, and Dosage)
- Vasodilators (Drug Class Side Effects, List of Names)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- Anticoagulants (Anticoagulant Drug Class)
- Nitrates (Medication)
- Lipitor (atorvastatin)
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- lisinopril (Zestril, Prinivil, Qbrelis) ACE Inhibitor
- alteplase (TPA, Activase, Cathflo Activase)
- warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven)
- dopamine (Intropin)
- Zocor (simvastatin)
- colestipol (Colestid)
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- felodipine (Plendil)
- dobutamine (injection; Dobutrex has been discontinued)
- Repatha (evolocumab)
- cangrelor (Kengreal)
Prevention & Wellness
- Prescription Fish Oil Pill Lowers Heart Attack Risk in Those Already on Statins
- The Saturated Fat Debate Rages On
- FDA OKs Import of Genetically Engineered Salmon
- Nutritional Supplements Don't Ward Off Depression: Study
- Health Tip: Dietary Fat Finds
- Does Fish Oil Help Control Asthma? Not So Much, Study Finds
- Fish, Fish Oil May Lower Your Heart Attack Risk
- Health Tip: Tracking High Triglycerides
- Fueling Up With Functional Foods
- Omega-3s in Seafood May Keep You Healthier, Longer
- Protein-Packed Foods That Should Be Part of Your Diet
- The Skinny on Fats
- Fish Oil Pill Cuts Heart Dangers for High-Risk Patients
- Aspirin, Fish Oil May Not Prevent Heart Trouble in Those Already at Risk
- Too Little Fish for Mom Linked to Higher Preemie Birth Risk
- Could Psoriasis Patients Eat Their Way to Fewer Symptoms?
- What Foods Are Really Best for Your Heart?
- Fish Oil May Protect the Youngest Hearts
- Eat Fish Twice a Week to Ward Off Heart Disease, Experts Say
- Healthy Diet, Healthy Eyes
- Fish Oil Supplements May Not Help Your Heart: Study
- Go Fish!
- Are Omega-3s Linked to Lower Risk for Fatal Heart Attack?
- Omega 3 Supplements Don't Help With Depression: Review
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids May Stem Further Damage After Heart Attack
- Health Tip: Adding More Omega-3 Fatty Acids to Your Diet
- Omega-3s in Diet May Help Ward Off Lou Gehrig's Disease
- Daily Fish Oil Supplement May Not Help Your Heart: Studies
- Monkey Research Shows How Omega-3 Fatty Acids Help the Brain
- Potentially Helpful Omega-3 Fatty Acids Can Cross to Brain: Study
- Fish Oil Supplements Don't Protect Against Heart Trouble: Study
- Fish Oil Supplements Won't Prevent Irregular Heart Beat: Study
- Omega-3s in Formula Can Help Baby's Eyesight: Review
- Omega-3 Supplements May Not Aid Aging Brain
- Diet Patterns Linked With Brain Health
- Eating Fatty Fish Benefits Younger Women, Study Shows
- More Fried Fish Eaten in 'Stroke Belt'
- No Proof Healthy Lifestyle Prevents Alzheimer's
- Foods That Fight Alzheimer's Disease