Occupational asthma is a type of asthma caused by exposure to a substance in the workplace. Symptoms and signs include wheezing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath. The usual treatment for occupational asthma involves removal from exposure and the use of bronchodilators and inhaled anti-inflammatory medicines. Read more: Occupational Asthma Article
IMAGESSee a medical illustration of the bronchioles plus our entire medical gallery of human anatomy and physiology See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Hay Fever (Allergic Rhinitis)
Hay fever (allergic rhinitis) is an irritation of the nose caused by pollen and is associated with the following allergic...
Neutropenia (Causes, Symptoms, Ranges, Treatment)
Neutropenia is a marked decrease in the number of neutrophils, neutrophils being a type of white blood cell (specifically a form...
Pinkeye, also called conjunctivitis, is redness or irritation of the conjunctivae, the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is caused by allergies, infection, and chemicals or other irritants of sinuses. Signs and symptoms...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
The most common food allergies are to eggs, nuts, milk, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries and tomatoes. Symptoms and signs...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Eczema refers to skin inflammation. There are many different types of eczema that produce symptoms and signs that range from...
Hypoxia is a condition in which the normal concentration of oxygen in the blood is not enough for normal life functions. Symptoms...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
COPD vs. Asthma (Differences and Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma both have common symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- beclomethasone dipropionate inhaler (Qvar)
- albuterol (Ventolin, Proventil)
- zafirlukast (Accolate)
- budesonide (oral inhalation, Pulmicort, Pulmicort Flexhaler)
- Advair Diskus, Advair HFA (fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler)
- budesonide/formoterol hfa inhaler (Symbicort)
- aminophylline (Norphyl, Phyllocontin, Truphylline) injection
- Dulera (mometasone furoate/formoterol fumarate)
- ciclesonide (Alvesco)
- Bronchodilators (Drug Class)
Prevention & Wellness
- FDA Says Primatene Mist Inhaler is Back for Asthmatics
- Dirty Air Tied to Millions of Asthma ER Visits Each Year
- As Hurricane Michael Nears, Expert Warns of Gas-Powered Generator Dangers
- Trump Plan to Relax Coal-Fired Power Plant Rules Could Lead to 1,400 Deaths a Year
- Summers Less Smoggy Now, But Winter Air Hasn't Improved
- Got Asthma? Avoid Allergens
- Work-Related Asthma Affects Millions of U.S. Adults: CDC
- Health Tip: Pay Attention to Air Pollution
- Materials in Some Household Products Tied to Lung Damage