Patient Comments: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Experience

Please describe your experience with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Submit Your Comment

Comment from: dachiemom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) started at 9 years old and at 51 now it has gotten worse. I take 40 mg of Celexa once daily but it is not helping me at all. I twist my hair up into knots then pull it out. I am missing a section of hair on the side of my head and I also pick my skin badly and it usually is always on my face or arms and is very embarrassing. I want to stop this but I don't know how. It is ruining my life.

Comment from: theweechicken, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) for a very long time, and never really realized that the people around me never thought like I did. I used to wash my hands until they would bleed from being so dry. I had to wash them every time I touched a door, thinking about all the other people who had touched that same door. That subsided as I grew older, but I still wash my hands every night before I go to sleep, and I have to make sure every drawer and door are shut in my room. My hands have to be moisturized and my rings have to face the correct way. I have intrusive thoughts that don't feel like they're mine as well. If a stupid, worrisome or scary thought crosses through my mind I will harbor it for months. It's awful. That thought will be in the back of my mind 24/7 until I find a solution or some resolution. It's like being in a battle with your own mind all the time. OCD never stops. I would love to know other people's experiences with using Zoloft and Prozac. They tried to put me on Prozac when I was at a near suicidal point and I refused, but now that I am at a somewhat rational thinking level, I think it may be up for some consideration.

Comment from: rubyred24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

When I was younger I had rituals and things I had to do. Everything has to be even (volume on a radio or TV, temperature, letters in a sentence) I had to touch everything I ate to my lips first. My teachers would call my parents often for disrupting classes. When I was older I noticed things were better when I was drinking or on drugs. I spent 10 years in addiction and alcoholism. I have been sober/clean for 16 months and it is back and worse than ever. I have to touch everything with my pointer finger last (I have some fear that if my middle finger is the last things that touches something that's bad so I have to touch it again with my pointer finger). I check locks, alarms, ovens and timers over and over. Nighttime and in bed is the worst. I'll be exhausted but get out of bed 20 times or more to check things or try to go to the bathroom when I've already been 2 minutes earlier. If my right leg itches I have to scratch my left too and then my right again because it itched first. I have Bonne Bell Lip Smackers chap stick in every room in my house, car and, office. I have to put it on every 30 minutes. They stopped selling that type of chap stick so I have to order in bulk online. I replay past situations or have fear of future ones nonstop until I end up in a panic attack or tears. I love being sober and clean but I can't sleep unless I'm drugged and it feels hopeless.

Comment from: pamela, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 20

I have suffered from what I consider a mild case of OCD since young childhood. I had Tourette Syndrome really bad with vocal tics and neck and shoulder movement. My mom was very upset with these things because it embarrassed her. It was so frustrating because I could not explain how I had to do these things or I would explode like a bomb. When I became an adult I found out that she was suffering from her own OCD such as she had always counted steps, tiles, bricks, etc. She apologized for losing her patience when I was a child, I grew out of the vocal tics but still do the shoulder and neck tic when stressed. I suffer from anxiety which my mom also suffered. Depression runs rampant on mom's side of family. I now know how my mom felt about my OCD since my younger son age 16yr has suffered since he was toddler. I was fortunate that I had my experience and knew how to get help for him. He has been off medications for 5 years now and recently going through adolescence his symptoms have returned so we are starting the drugs and therapy over again. His depression is great and he cannot shut his brain off. Fortunately, he is a very smart kid who expresses himself very well and can tell me what is going on in his brain. I thank God I have better resources and options than my poor mom had back then. I am 48 years old. God bless everyone who suffers from these often debilitating issues. Pam

Comment from: morethanIcanhandle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I knew something wasn't right for a long time. I was a sickly child starting at age 2. I experienced horrible headaches, and eating disorders. I did not want to eat; I had no appetite and gained energy from not eating. I see now I had early signs of chronic depression (the headaches) and OCD not eating. I suffered from asthma and could have an attack if overly stressed. I am now 50 and have been taking meds for 20 years. I "outgrew" my asthma at 17. It was just gone. I suffered every day from some sort of panic or depression since I was 6. I managed to work my way up to several impressive executive jobs. I changed jobs every five years. For the last five years, I have had extreme difficulty keeping a job. I take Prozac and Ambien to sleep and recommend anyone giving this a try for some major relief. I am slipping back into a difficult depressive state. I have a husband and wish I could work but cannot seem to manage to make that happen. He cannot keep supporting both of us; the job market has taken a turn on him as well. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have no medical insurance but manage to see a professional every six months. The doctor is wonderful, very modern, but I am afraid to confide to him how bad I am for fear of not getting meds.

Comment from: pdallas, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

With obsessive compulsive disorder I want to eat all the time and I always have to finish everything in my plate, I cannot stop eating during the day and night, so I feel guilty and I make myself throw up.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My symptoms seem to be OCD related. Checking door is locked, have I got my debit card? am I running out of cleaning items or food. Cognitive behavioral therapy was useful.

Comment from: DB, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had OCD since I was young but just recently got diagnosed at the age 21. The biggest issues are picking and counting. I pick at my face to the point that I won't leave the house it looks so bad. I regret it always but for some reason can't stop myself from doing it. I pick my fingers and toes til they bleed and they are always so sore. Also, I count everything and I need it to be an even number in the end, if it isn't I will find something to match the shape of what I was counting to make it an even number. I count lights, poles, lines in the road. When writing I will write then erase until there is a hole in the paper because I want it to be just right. I want the volume on an even number always, also the heat in the house. I realize this seems silly to some but it is horrible for me. People are always saying just stop but I can't, I finally went to the doctor about it because it was making my life miserable and I know it isn't normal, they gave me Prozac so hopefully it will help.

Comment from: nesss, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I started at 8 by counting random things on my school bus on the way to elementary school out of boredom then I just started counting numbers and numbers and had to do things repeatedly out of fear. I do not know why and ironically I suck at math. At that time I did not know what I was getting myself into I turned into a neat freak my parents never had to tell me to clean my room it always was. A few years go by I am in middle school and I would tell people how I feel and think and they would look at me crazy so I was embarrassed and never told no one. This is when I worry about things like the future money random things and would stress and this is when I started to bite my lips. As a way to cope with it down to the point that they bleed and my parents would make me stop. Fast-forward to high school one day I am watching mtv true life and they have a episode of I have ocd and I started thinking when iI was done watching it. This is crazy I don't have it. Then one day in school in class we start reading a book called the curious incident of sum dog I forgot the title but main thing I found out about asbergers like rain man the movie. Start doing research for a year ask my school psychologist and found out I had it. Fast-forward to today but I don't tell anybody I am embarrassed and afraid people won't understand I tell my friends but they tell me I have just normal worries and they check things twice too but I don't think that if I go on a trip to Wisconsin that is normal that I have to go back to make sure I locked my house door at least 3 times and make sure I disconnect everything and now I am trying to stop biting my lips and I am starting to do thing like counting again and I am afraid. I have read a couple of these comments by people and my story is exactly like one where the guy's symptoms went away then they came back and he had a breakdown and now he cannot work so I am afraid of my future. I am only 17 on my junior year in high school and I do not want to have a relationship cause of this if I just hope this will not hold me back. I do not know what to do but I don't want to tell my parents and I do not want to be on meds it is just frustrating.

Comment from: ANP, Female Published: January 25

I am 21 years old and I am almost positive I have OCD. I count steps, lines, tiles, sidewalk spaces, letters, etc. I'm obsessed with numbers. I don't like messes I have to clean and clean and clean. I can't take a shower if the house isn't clean, bed made, dishes done, even laundry. I hate clean laundry sitting out I feel like I have to re wash it. I love doing laundry and I purposely find things around the house to wash. I'm a weirdo, sometimes I overwhelm myself. My Husband thinks I'm a neat freak but inside I'm screaming! My knuckles bleed occasionally from washing them in only hot water and three times. I have certain rituals I have to do and hand washing is one of them. Nick (husband) will turn the water off or on cold and I have to start over and it makes me get a nervous feeling because I can't move on without washing them three times. I have a thing about doors being shut and locked I have to check everything three times. If I snap on one hand I have to snap on the other to make it even a lot of this I try hard to hide and as I'm typing this I'm feeling anxious and nervous. Nobody realizes how extreme I am. I try to keep it this way.

Comment from: blondsicle28, 25-34 Female Published: December 14

I have suffered from OCD as far as I can remember. I was adopted at the age of 4, coming from an abusive and neglectful home. When I got to my adoptive home, I began to hoard food for my sister and I in fear no one would feed us, as my birth-mom did. I received counseling for 24 years and was diagnosed with depression and OCD at the age of 5. I met my birth-mom when I was 23. She has been on disability for OCD for 40 years. My birth-brother has OCD and so does my sister. I don't physically have to hoard food anymore, as now I am a married woman with two kids, but I do still over-buy, a habit with the OCD. Also, I am an OCD cleaner, especially with surfaces and organization. I am on meds and have been for years; they do help. If I get off schedule at all, I get very out of sorts. The meds help me to not get so stressed and crazy about it. I still clean like a crazy person, just minus some of the urgency , sometimes, not all the time, but we are working on it.

Comment from: mrsl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I started suffering from OCD when I was between 6 and 7 years old. After a period of abuse from a relative, I began checking everything in the house: locks, the stove, under the bed, in the closet, and all my family members when they slept to make sure they were okay. I have never taken medication for it, and I believe my form to be mild, because it only occurs during a specific part of the day: nighttime. So I have learned to deal with it. However, when compounded with stress or anxiety, the OCD sometimes causes mild paranoia. I have two sisters who seem to also suffer from OCD, one who continually washes her hands and worries about germs, and one who is a hypochondriac and thinks every time she gets sick, she will die of some incurable disease. I would tell anyone to get help with the disorder, and hope I may one day be strong enough to seek help for myself as well.

Comment from: LL, 19-24 Female Published: November 19

I think mine started when I was about 8, I suddenly had the urge to swear constantly, but then felt guilty for doing so and had to tell my Mom. But then the urge grew stronger because I knew if I did it I would have to tell my Mom and that scared me. That was the start. Throughout the years I have constantly worried about things I know are irrational, I have constantly sought reassurance that these thoughts are irrational, I have worried about dirt/germs and washed my hands so much that my skin dries out and splits so much it bleeds, I have worried about leaving germs that other people may pick up and have also washed things I have touched, I have checked things repeatedly, doors are locked, oven is turned off, cigarettes are definitely out and won't cause a fire etc - and by repeatedly I mean getting out of bed 4, 5 or 6 times to check again and again. I am nearly 22 now and have had a 3 year period where my symptoms have been relatively mild. I have never been diagnosed or received help for any of these problems. I believe I just found ways to cope by myself, mostly by forcing myself to just get on with life until the irrational thoughts stopped consuming me so much. I don't think it will ever go away, I think I will have good times and bad times, times when I can cope and times when I feel I can't, but the main thing to remember is that it is a way of thinking, it can possibly be changed, but more importantly, thoughts cannot physically harm you. Knowing that I can control this and change the way I think gives me the motivation to try and do this as best I can. After 3 years of believing it was going away I've realized it isn't and probably never will, but I am determined to get through this and learn to keep it under control.

Comment from: kittycat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I developed OCD when I was 10. It began by counting steps I took on the sidewalk, and soon the counting increased while stepping or performing any action. I jumped over rugs and made sure fringes were straight, really weird things that I did not understand. My parents noticed there was a problem, but suddenly it just went away. Not forever though, later in life I had a child at age 18, worked a job running the counties emergency systems, responsible for over 15,000 peoples welfare. OCD came back I would count while I did everything, I tapped on the wall and turned the lights on and off, swallowed over and over again life was horrible, but somehow I manage to keep going, I once again sought help and was placed on Lovenox. It made me deafly sick, so I stopped taking it. I began doing rituals of counting and tapping that was a never ending life of torment. I decided to go to the church I had been brought up in. I went there for guidance and strength suddenly the OCD was suppressed. I now realize it never really went away and I had developed ways to cope. Today I am 40 at age 39 I had a mental breakdown and OCD is alive and destroyed my life, I can no longer work, and it is hard to function in day to day activities. The doctor has given me this medicine to try due to intrusive thoughts which causes me to repeat an action. I read the side effects and I don't know if it's a chance worth taking. I don't want another sit back from medicine that disagrees with me. In my case I feel OCD will be a constant companion for the rest of my life. I just have to learn ways to cope with it. I don't know anyone else that has OCD has severe as me. As I read the other stories, I cried out of sadness because I know of the suffering , but out of joy also, because I can see that there are other people like me.

Comment from: Alan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I was diagnosed with a mild case of ADD several years ago. In school, it was always hard for me to focus on a lecture or whatever I was reading. In addition, throughout my life I have experienced various motor and mental tics. Last year, I had a panic attack and obsessed on my breathing 24-7 for about two months. The breathing obsession still comes and goes and is very discomforting. I obsess on the most irrational things; breathing, swallowing, blinking, things that should be automatic. I also have repetitive intrusive thoughts throughout the day. The thoughts can be about random people or things completely unrelated to anything I am doing at that moment. I also suffer from motor tics that I am not able to control. For example, I feel compelled to touch and count things. I do nonsensical physical movements with my hands while performing simple tasks like combing or washing my hair. I also find myself repeating in my head what other people around me say. These are just a few of the things I experience. I've read that OCD, ADD and Tourette's all stem from a common gene. I believe that I suffer from all three of these diseases to some degree. My inability to control my irrational vocal/motor tics and obsessive-compulsive thoughts undoubtedly leads to fluctuating degrees of anxiety and depression. These conditions have gotten progressively worse and while not debilitating, they do cause major discomfort, to the point where I am seriously considering medication.

Comment from: mom2twins32, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

My OCD makes me crazy but it also drives my family crazy. My daughter has also picked up on some of my habits and is also doing them. I can't help it. I try to relax but I can't. I hate it.

Comment from: Marolyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

Well to all of us who suffer with this at time unbearable life of counting steps, putting words in alphabetical order, and keeping cupboards organized and cans straight, I can honestly say I have been this way my whole life and didn't know it. I couldn't understand or stop doing these counting things and I was picking at myself until my fingers were sore and my kids would say, “Mom stop picking!” I couldn't stop. It was only after my daughter began working for a psychiatrist that she encouraged me to get help. I know what all of you who have commented are going through. I have good days and bad days, always worrying about my health. My husband died in March and since then things have gotten worse for me. My medication has been increased so I'm hoping that will help me.

Comment from: RaeLuv04, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I always collect unwanted things but I always hesitate to throw them away because I feel that something bad is going to happen to my family. I'm always counting so many times when washing my hands and I always touch things over and over again until it feels right. I open and close the door several times. I turn the light switch off and on like 16 or 17 times just to keep things from happening to the ones I love. I always check for things. I am fighting this and it's pretty hard. I repeat myself alot. It's kinda hard but I'm getting help and I'm getting a little bit better.

Comment from: Zoey2358, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I suffer from OCD and I have for years. I have the obsessive thoughts and strive to do things perfectly when I do something. I am always apolizing for the things I do, because I feel like a burden at times because of the way I am. I need constant reassurance in a relationship that things are ok and that they are not going to leave me. I expect things to be the same way everyday and when they are not it causes anxiety and most of day sis pent crying. This is an awful disorder to live with and somedays I am so tired of being this way and being afraid, I will drive people away, because I am always saying I am sorry for not doing things right and other things I do. I just started taking Cymbalta and I am hoping this may relieve some of my symptons.

Comment from: ART, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

OCD has been part of my life for about 5 years. In the beginning I didn't think it was a big deal that I counted my steps and that I needed to always double check everything I did. 2 years ago is when I realized that this was not ok and it was not going away. Actually with time it only got worse. I had my second child at the age of 30. During the pregnancy I obessed about getting sick all the time. I spent much of my time in the hospital. I didnt realize it at the time but, now I see that I really made myself feel sick because of my fear and thoughts of falling sick. I remember once, I went to the emergency room and I told the nurse that I was having hot flashes and that I was going to faint. I will never forget this. The nurse at this point had me hooked up to the heart monitor and blood pressure/oxygen monitor, and she looked at those devices as I was saying that I was going to faint and then she looked and me and said, your vital signs are all normal, I dont understand why you are feeling so bad. I will get the doctor in any case. I looked at my husband and he said, you need to relax. I was very insultated that he didn't believe me but I now realize that its true. The more I would think of being sick, the more anxious I would become and at the end I would panic an go to the hospital. After my son was born, things got better for a while until I started working. I felt so guilty everyday when I would leave my baby at daycare that I could hardly concentrate at work. I lost my job because of it and I was anxious and having too many panic attacks. I stayed home but it got much worst and very bad and invasive thoughts started running through my brain and before I knew it, I was out of control. I couldn't eat, sleep, drive,... live life. I was afraid of myself around my baby and just wanted to be alone with my horrible thoughts in my room where I couldn't hurt anyone. Finally my husband took me to the emergency and after being examined by a wonderful psychiatrist for at least 2 hours, she finally was able to put me a bit at ease as fas as explaining that these thoughts did not mean that I was a bad person or was going to do somehting bad. These were a result of so much worry about my baby that it pretty much took over the confidence I had in myself as a mother / wife etc... I have been on sertraline for 1 1/2 years and unfortuately, I had a "relapse" a month ago and lost another job as a result of it. I am not on an increased dosage of sertraline and so far so good. I wish everyone luck in facing this challenge of OCD. I think the worst part of it is that people "employers especially" just think that you are lazy or that you have "issues" as if you chose to have this kind of intrusion in your life.

Comment from: woman of god, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have been struggling with OCD since I was about sixteen. At first I did not know what was wrong with me. I always had a fear of going crazy or just losing control all of a sudden. I have suffered for years from bad thoughts and repetitive thinking. At one point I started checking doors to make sure they were locked or always counting to three. Finally, I was able to stop my self from these stupid rituals but I was still having bad and repetitive thoughts. I finally had a break down on my way to work at age 23. I told my husband everything I had been keeping from him for fear he would leave me. I am happy to say he did not leave me and he has shown me nothing but unconditional love as well as my 2 beautiful children. Not saying we don't have our ups and downs but like it is said by Peter in the bible, love is a strong as death love conquers all. I am on Zoloft as well as a nerve pill right that I have been taking on and off since I was 23. My hope for the future is to be totally drug free.

Comment from: polaris, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I find myself counting things, cows in a field, birds, tiles on a wall, tiles on floor, anything that has a number connected to it. I am not sure how or why I do this, I tell myself to stop counting and look away. Taking generic Celexa - citalopram 40 mg.

Comment from: Amanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have always been compulsive, as long as I can remember. I got worse at 19 when I was just married. I would make my husband get up with me in the night to remake the bed that we were sleeping in because the sheets were not straight. I pick my fingers until the bleed and have gotten worse since I have started staying home with my children. The dishwasher has to be loaded a certain way or it won't work and just last week, I had a compulsion to weed the garden because if I didn't the tomatoes would die. I am to start Prozac tomorrow and will see if it helps. I really appreciate everyone that wrote something. While I know that I am not crazy, it helps to know that others feel the way that I do.

Comment from: Zip, 25-34 Male Published: May 08

I believe that I developed OCD as a result of ADHD. When I was a young child during the late 80s and early 90s, I could not keep my ADHD under control, and it kept me from learning in school. This was before it was a (popular) commonly diagnosed learning disorder. My teachers and parents did not know what to do. I'm guessing they assumed I was stupid, or lacked the willpower to concentrate. I later (around the age of 10) developed OCD, which was a, sort of, compensation for my lack of attention. I would repeatedly count my steps, and do simple tasks multiple times, such as wash my hands. It was also a superstitious thing; I believed that the repeated tasks would keep away bad luck. However, I remember telling myself that I was going to stop doing it one day, and I slowly willed myself to ignore the compulsions. They are still there, but I have control over them. It also helped to ride my mind of superstitious dilutions. My thoughts are still very chaotic, but creative at the same time. It helps to be optimistic. I never took any drugs, just caffeine (which seems to still help), and to this day live a fairly normal life. However, I would probably be a lot happier now if I was diagnosed early on and did not have to suffer through my childhood. Childhood should be enjoyed!

Comment from: heather, 19-24 Female Published: February 20

I have had OCD for as long as I can remember. When I was going through elementary school, I would always count my steps between the side walks. I made myself believe that I was only allowed to take two steps on every sidewalk. I would always do things evenly. If I rubbed one eye, I would have to rub the other and so on. If I didn't rub or touch something right away, then the part of my body I did touch felt heavier, and I needed to make it even. As I got came to college, my OCD took over. I would be in my class and if certain things came into my head, I would have to write them down. I would write things throughout my entire class, and I would end up not knowing what I was supposed to learn. I finally went to the school psychologist, and then my doctor and they prescribed Paxil. After two months, it helped but not for the more major obsessive and compulsion. At this time, I was home for the summer. I worked in a pharmacy, I would be counting pills for prescriptions not just once or twice, I would count them many times until it felt right, and after that, I would run the pills through the automatic counter a few times until that felt right. This took way too long, so I went to my doctor for my check-up, and she prescribed me a higher dosage of Paxil. Now I am doing a lot better than in the past.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My OCD started when I was 13 years old. I had to ask the same question over and over. I have been doing this for a long time, but my SAT exams made it 10 times worse so that I couldn't cope. I went to talk to a teacher, and I am going the CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) course now. I have a lot of support from my friends, and counselors. The teachers at school understand if I freak out about tests. Although I get a lot of support, I still wish that it would all go away.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I started to develop OCD when I was about 8. I don't remember why, but I started to throw up every night after dinner -- when I was in bed. This continued on and off for about two and a half years. Then I started getting nervous about throwing up to the point where I threw up in other places: during dinner, at the movies. It began to take over my whole life, and everything I did was based on whether or not it would make me sick. This went on until the beginning of this year, when I had a really bad phase and could hardly eat for two days. Finally, I went to the school clinic to ask to go home. I was really distressed, and she realized I was having a sort of panic attack. I was made to see the school chaplain, who got me to go and see a doctor. He put me on medication for OCD, and I'm now 14 and slowly learning how to control myself. I can now sit down at the dinner table and eat without fear, something I wasn't really able to do for three or so years.

Comment from: dontmindme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My name is Michelle and i was diagnosed with severe obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) 20 yrs ago. I'm 45 now and living drug free and for the most part a normal life, as I understand I will never again live the way I was before OCD took over my life. My obsession is sterile cleaning to rid off any viruses my mind wants me to believe exists on every surface and sure death if I don't avoid it. Well that was long ago for me and I've come along way. I did go through behavioral treatment and drug therapy at the University of Michigan for two years off and on. I am proud to say that after being told I would never be without drugs, I have been off the prescribed drugs for my OCD for seven years. I know I'll always have to rationalize with my fears on a everyday basis for the rest of my life but I have learned to live with OCD and function well with it. I want to help. I wish I could be there to stand next to someone who can't open the contaminated doorknob and help take them through the day. I know how they feel, I have the same brain thought process as them and more then any doctor could imagine. I feel I would be able to relate and they would look at me with hope that they can live like everyone else again.

Comment from: jen73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I probably acquired OCD in my early 20's. It began with always checking to make sure doors are locked. In my 30's, it has progressed to checking alarm clocks, doors, making sure shoes are lined up perfectly, organizing everything in my fridge and cabinets, brushing my teeth several times a day as well as flossing, constant cleaning, and thoughts of death and my house catching on fire.

Comment from: camo_girl1490, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I often find myself cleaning rooms or objects several times within a matter of minutes. It feels as if I have the urge to do tasks that have already been done. I have missed many extra-curricular activities due to OCD. This disorder has caused tension among my family and me for several years. I think that when I do these things it embarrasses them and that makes me feel terrible because I'm putting them through such a tough situation. I have currently started going to therapy and I have started taking Celexa, because I was diagnosed with a severe case of OCD. The doctors there also found that I had symptoms of depression caused by OCD. I am thankful for the amount of emphasis placed upon patients with OCD, because this is a very SERIOUS condition!!

Comment from: none yet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I pull out all my hair and cannot stop. My OCD started when I was a child. I had to wash all my toys 2 or 3 times a day. I would have to count different things like flipping the light switch at least 50 times or more. Everything had to be in order and clean. I then became anorexic because I felt I had to be perfect. I am now 51 and I still struggle with all of these, especially pulling my hair out. I have to wear a wig all the time. I want to stop this.

Comment from: serious, 65-74 Female Published: December 09

I have had undiagnosed OCD for most of my life. I have a need to keep my clothes and self away from possible germ contamination. It started with being raped. Only my husband, sisters, and a woman who recognized my activity, know. I do a lot of washing of hands, clothes, and linen. It gets better and worse with circumstances. My husband loves me and usually can tolerate me well.

Comment from: georgie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was pulling my hair out and had a nervous tic- always coughing or clearing my throat. I was put on the smallest dosage of Haldol and found great results the first week. I am no longer pulling at my hair or making noises with my mouth. I can't believe I've been coughing for many years and my 1st psychiatrist could not help me with it. After I told the nurse about my problem he prescribed Haldol and I think it is a miracle. I am so relieved.

Comment from: An OCD from Israel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

At the age of 22 a bad event with my older brother (a year older) jumped to my mind after four years that I have completely forgotten it. It took over my thoughts as if it happened just at the moment, he was abroad and I felt a very strong compulsive desire to hit him almost every minute and I kicked chairs and tables instead. It took me a year to realize that this is not a state of mind and that something is going on. After being treated with Citalopram I have recovered. I have no idea what caused it's eruption. Might be the three years of military service that I finished three months prior to the eruption of the OCD and he tension I had been through.

Comment from: princess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I developed OCD at the age of 33. It started with my body just over heating to a point it made my cloths smell funny, when I went to the doctor he couldn't smell anything. I stop working because I couldn't stand going to work smelling like this, for the past six months I have been like this taking meds to help me sleep and to calm me, but nothing is working as of yet.

Comment from: Angerobsession, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have been suffering from OCD for years. I have to do a series of things before I go to bed checking doors windows multiple times. It consumes me. It's not just that, but my impulsiveness scares me. Every since I was a child I always felt the need to speak up. I snap out at any thing that I might feel is challenging me. I have gone as far as attacking other people on the road. I hate society. I don't want to feel like this, but yet I do. If I ignore something is play over and over like a bad record. I hate it. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid I might just hurt someone or myself. Death sounds good at most times. Medicine has not worked I was on Respiderdal. It made me sleepy so I stopped taking it for the fact that I couldn't do my rituals and I woke up in a total rage and panic.

Comment from: Bam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I think I noticed I had OCD when I was in my early teens. Counting everything and not using certain numbers. When I became an adult I was not only counting but starting having a fear when driving that I hit a pedestrian either near the street or on the sidewalk and I would go around the block to make sure. My brother-in-law who also had OCD is the only other person that has this same experience when driving. I am wondering if anyone else with OCD has this.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter