Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder that causes a person to suffer repeated obsessions and compulsions. Symptoms include irresistible impulses despite a person's realization that the thoughts are irrational, excessive hand washing, skin picking, lock checking, or repeatedly rearranging items. People with OCD are more likely to develop trichotillomania, muscle or vocal tics, or an eating disorder. Treatment for OCD includes psychotherapy, behavioral therapy, and medication. Read more: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
ADHD/ADD in Adults: Symptoms & Treatments in Pictures
Most people don't associate adults with the term ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) but it is a common disorder in...
Anxiety Disorder Pictures: Symptoms, Panic Attacks, and More with Pictures
Learn about generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). See if your worries are normal or something more by learning about symptoms,...
Panic Attacks (Panic Disorder) Quiz: Test Your Mental Health IQ
Could you suffer a panic attack? Take this Panic Attacks Quiz to learn causes, symptoms, and treatments for panic disorder. Use...
Picture of Trichotillomania
Compulsive hair pulling. See a picture of Trichotillomania and learn more about the health topic....
Related Disease Conditions
PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated With Streptococcal Infections)
PANDAS is in part caused by an autoimmune response to a strep infection. Symptoms mimic those of OCD, ADHD, and include motor and...
Asperger's Syndrome (Asperger Syndrome, Asperger Disorder)
Asperger's syndrome (AS, Asperger syndrome, Asperger disorder) is an autism spectrum disorder. Asperger's syndrome is...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Mental illness is any disease or condition affecting the brain that influence the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, and/or...
Huntington's disease is the result of degeneration of neurons in areas of the brain. Huntington's disease is an inherited...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Misophonia is defined as the hatred of sound. Symptoms of this condition include a negative emotional response to certain trigger...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
About 2%-6% of adults have ADHD, a common behavioral problem. Symptoms include impulsivity, hyperactivity, and inattention....
Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep....
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) has many symptoms, signs, and causes. Therapy is one treatment option for antisocial...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Paraphilias are characterized by sexual fantasies, urges, and behaviors involving unusual objects or activities. Exhibitionism,...
Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by markedly reduced appetite or total aversion to food. Anorexia is a serious...
The term sex addiction describes the behavior of someone who has an unusually strong sex drive or sexual obsession. Sex and...
Tourette syndrome is disorder, which symptoms include involuntary facial tics, motor tics, and vocal tics. The cause of Tourette...
Binge Eating Disorder
Characteristics of binge eating disorder include eating more quickly than usual, eating until uncomfortably full, eating a lot of...
Prader-Willi syndrome is a condition characterized by severe floppiness (hypotonia), poor growth, delayed development, and poor...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs...
Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC)
Tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) is a rare genetic disease caused by defects on two genes. The signs and symptoms of TSC vary...
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Experience
Please describe your experience with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).Post View 74 Comments
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Treatments
What was the treatment for your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?Post View 8 Comments
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Symptoms
What symptoms do you experience with your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?Post View 14 Comments
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Risks
Do you have a relative with OCD? If so, do you believe there's a genetic risk for developing the condition?Post View 4 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- citalopram, Celexa
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- valproic acid, divalproex, Depakote, Depakote Sprinkle, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon, Stavzor
- buspirone, Buspar (Discontinued brand in the US)
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR
- passion flower (Passiflora incarnata, Apricot Vine, Passion Vine, Water Lemon, and many others)
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- fluvoxamine (Luvox and Luvox CR have been discontinued)
- desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- ziprasidone (Geodon)
- clomipramine (Anafranil)
- lurasidone hydrochloride (Latuda)
- Lexapro vs. Wellbutrin: Differences between Side Effects and Uses
- vortioxetine (Trintellix - formerly known as Brintellix)
- Buspar vs. Zoloft (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- perphenazine and amitriptyline hydrochloride (Etrafon - brand no longer available in the US)
- paliperidone (Invega)
- asenapine (Saphris)
Prevention & Wellness
- OCD May Be Linked to Inflammation in the Brain: Study
- Prenatal Factors May Raise Child's Risk for OCD
- Are 'Workaholics' Prone to OCD, Anxiety?
- Could Brain Scans Help Guide Treatment for OCD?
- Scans May Spot People Who'll Benefit From Surgery for OCD
- People With OCD May Have Higher Odds for Schizophrenia: Study
- 'Exposure Therapy' Along With Antidepressants May Help With OCD
- Canine Research Sheds Light on OCD in Humans
- Motherhood May Spur Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior in Some
- Scientists Pinpoint How Deep Brain Stimulation Eases OCD
- Genetic Studies Give Clues to Tourette Syndrome, OCD
- Hoarders' Brains Overwhelmed by Decisions
- Brain Surgery Might Ease Tough-to-Treat OCD
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter