Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder characterized by having irresistible ideas or images (obsessions) and/or specific rituals/behaviors (compulsions) that are often controlled or driven by the obsessions.
People with OCS show signs and symptoms such as adherence to rituals, repetitive behaviors, and unwanted and intrusive thoughts. Compulsive behaviors associated with the condition can include washing, checking, counting, ordering, and preoccupation with germs, dirt, or contamination.
Causes of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
As with many mental health conditions, there is no one exact cause known for OCD. It is likely to arise as a result of both genetic and environmental influences. People with a family history of obsessive-compulsive disorder have an increased risk of developing the illness themselves.
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.
Main Article on Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Symptoms and Signs
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- asenapine (Saphris)
- buspirone (Buspar)
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- citalopram, Celexa
- desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- lurasidone hydrochloride (Latuda)
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- paliperidone (Invega)
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- valproic acid, divalproex, Depakote, Depakote Sprinkle, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon, Stavzor
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- vortioxetine (Trintellix - formerly known as Brintellix)
- ziprasidone (Geodon)