Patient Comments: Obesity - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your obesity? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Vellybean, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 05

For several weeks I had lower back pain. It wasn't disabling, just there. After three weeks, my right lower back hurt so bad I thought an ovary had twisted or something. I tried to wait it out. I took a hot bath. I got out of the tub and proceeded to start vomiting in the toilet. The pain in my back was severe. I woke my husband up and asked him to drive me to the emergency room. I then threw up more there and gave a urine sample. The pain was so bad, I could barely walk and talked very quietly. They did a CT scan and found out I had a 4 mm stone that was in my tube that goes from the kidney to the bladder. They gave me pain medications and anti-nausea medication. Once the pain was lessened, I was sent home with pain medication, anti-nausea medication, super strong Tylenol, and a medication that was to relax the walls of the tube. They told me to drink a lot of liquids with real lemon juice in them. It took three more days for it to move to my bladder and then came out with no issues. I am still waiting to find out what it is made of. I am 52 and it was my first stone ever. I hope I never get another one. It was worse than having a baby and I did all natural child birth with my two boys. Worst pain ever!

Comment from: astorin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have lost 54 lbs and 12% body fat in the last year, by cutting out sodas and most processed foods and by exercising 60 to 150 minutes 5 to 6 days a week. I do both cardio and resistance training (cardio alone stopped working after a couple months) and log my food so that I am aware of what and how much I am putting into my body. I am happier, healthier, and able to do the things I want to, and it is a lifestyle I can see myself living with long term.

Comment from: MrsManners862, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

Bariatric surgery worked for me. Go to a doctor you believe in. Follow his advice. If you have an eating disorder, then you will need a wider support group. Surgery alone won't help!

Comment from: avigael, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I spent my life trying to lose weight. I tried everything, even an operation of the stomach. Nothing worked except for OA: Overeaters Anonymous. I have lost all my weight, and it's not coming back. For me, food is an addiction, and I need to work through a 12-step group. It's an incredible program that changed my life. There are meetings all over the world. Good luck.

Comment from: happy1, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

I found that when I follow Weight Watchers and write down everything I eat and eat only the amounts allowed, I lose weight. For me, the secret is simply writing it down and eating only the amount allowed. I can eat anything I want, but I must limit the portions. When my husband and I were young, we ate this way naturally. We have, unfortunately, done what our culture has done: enlarged our portions. When I stop writing and counting portions, I start gaining again.

Comment from: Bahar, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 06

I'm a surgeon, male 67 years old 169 cm and 85 kg at Sept 2011, so for 3 months my menu is boiled chicken and fruit.

Comment from: Princess, 19-24 Female Published: March 14

I was a little chubby growing up, but not exactly "fat." Ever since senior year of high school, I lost a lot of weight because of cheerleading. Now, I go to the gym once or twice a week and work out. Now, I'm auditioning to be a NFL cheerleader this year! I say I'm a success story or wonder woman.

Comment from: Bess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was on a weight loss medication back in the 80's. I wound up putting the weight back on over the past 6 years but now can't seem to find the medication that worked for me. It was Preludes and I was taking 130mg a daily.

Comment from: stevetex2006, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I lost 100 pounds by drinking large amounts of water during meal time, which helped me cut back my food intake. When I went off the diet after reaching my goal, I started slowly gaining. I didn't have a plan for post-diet. Now, 108 pounds later at 308 pounds I'm looking at losing again, but I know I need to work out a post diet plan or it won't stick.

Comment from: bigredtruck56, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a gastric bypass roux-n-y at 450 pounds in 1991. I have maintained a weight of under 300 pounds since that time. I weighed 179 on Oct, 23 2006, the day I had a heart transplant. Now, two years later, I weigh 290 pounds.

Habits That Can Help You Lose Weight Slideshow
Published: November 07

The best thing that has worked for me is to write everything I have eaten or drank in the day. It would help me control what I ate because I would think twice about eating certain things.

Comment from: myownweightlossnow, 35-44 Male Published: February 22

Hi I know what a struggle it is more than most as I once used to weight almost 600lbs. I now know since I have lost almost 400lbs and able to teach others about the importance of eating right and not do the standard New Year's Resolutions as they fail. I teach them to make choices so that if you make a bad choice today you could make a better choice tomorrow.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

7 years ago I went from 230 pounds to 175 in a matter of days. I had high volumn liposuction done, then Tummy tuck. I went from a size 24 to a size 12. Today 7 years latter I am a size 8 and weigh 165 pounds. Since the surgeries I exercise mostly walking once a week for 30 minutes. I watch what I eat. I eat small portions of food and an apple before each meal. I eat meat 3 times a week.

Comment from: Richie Paul, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

Drink local non fat milk instead of eating too much, it will increase your energy and stop acidity or hunger for local non fat milk.

Comment from: Deb, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

My weight is 320 pounds. I have tried everything. The more I try to lose weight, the more I gain. My back hurts, and my legs and feet hurt so bad that sometimes I cannot walk. My husband tells me he loves me more than anything. I've been married for 32 years now, and he tries his best to help me.

Habits That Can Help You Lose Weight Slideshow