Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Causes

What was the cause of your nosebleed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Olivia, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 09

I reacted once a few years ago to an allergy shot and recently to Tylenol Cold Max. Both times I experienced a feeling of heaviness or being weighted down and extreme internal heat.

Comment from: Mar, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I was drip poisoned with antifreeze over 7 plus years. The kidney infections started 10 months after this man started poisoning me and when he decided to finish the job of killing me, I had 5 infections in less than 3 months. Since he left a year and half ago, running from money he owed, I have had repeated infections. I was on a prophylactic antibiotic, but recently needed surgery and now have a whopper of a kidney infection. Nowhere on any website does it mention antifreeze as a cause of kidney infections. Please add this to your causes. I do not know if I will have time to share this.

Comment from: Abuelita, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

On 11/23/15 I fell while walking my dog and broke my right hip. Posterior hip replacement ensued. It was hard to walk and I was in a lot of pain. On 4/30/16 I fell in my home and broke my left femur in 3 places, so another hip replacement. I am in severe pain all the time and I've had weird things happen like rashes on my face, torso and arms; pressure sores in my inter gluteal area and on the back of my heels; extreme weight loss and severe low back muscles that I can barely tolerate. I can't sleep. I live alone, have no family within 700 miles and no help. Pain medications, ice and heat do not help. I still can't shower and doing housework is a nightmare. No one can explain what's happening to my body. I don't know what to do and I can't live like this.

Comment from: mijael, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I woke up with this sound I thought was normal. But after a week I still hear the sound. I went to the ENT hospital and they found something inside. They said maybe it was the cause of tinnitus and the doctor gave this medicine Gingko. A week of taking this medicine, still the sound is there. They gave me two weeks to take this medicine, but I am worrying about this sound. It is always in the right ear and it sometime it hurts. I have Adapt Sound in my cell phone and tablet; I always try testing, but it is good. I can hear the low tone. My wife every night gives a massage in my right ear which feels good, but sound is still there.

Comment from: sarinabris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had surgery, nasopharynx and larynx, four days ago and was only in hospital overnight. Nasal bleeding has not stopped and became worse 24 hours ago. I have used a sea water microdiffusion spray as well as Otrivin. My right nostril where surgery occurred is now quite swollen. I am taking antibiotic as I had a slight fever. My post-operative appointment is not for another 4 days.

Comment from: Linda, 13-18 Female Published: October 13

I have been losing potassium the past 12 years. Since April 2016 I have been in the hospital 4 times with the problem of hypokalemia. They have been given me potassium by vein and orally. I have adrenal gland disease and I take 40 mEq of potassium every day and I'm still losing, and seems like the doctors can't help me. I have done everything they have me to do. I don't know if it is my adrenal glands or my kidneys. I have PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia).

Comment from: lady bug, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

Three weeks ago I broke my right foot. The pain has been terrible! It is better when sitting down but when I try to walk on it the pain is tremendous!

Comment from: tester2016, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I had an epistaxis (nosebleed). They have found me with very high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high glycaemia and lack of iron.

Comment from: Taylor1, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My hemoglobin level was 7.5g/dl before starting chemotherapy.

Comment from: Somill, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am a 75-year old woman in fairly good health. I recently had 3 episodes of nosebleed, from the right nostril only. When I got awake, I had the urge to blow my nose, and what came first was crusted blood followed by a trickle of blood from the nostril. All blood disappeared after blowing my nose a couple of times. The incidents happened about 3 weeks apart, the latest being Nov 27, 2013 (I keep a health log). I'm not alarmed, but I sure wonder what this is all about. I've been taking medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol for several years, and I've had a pacemaker just over a year.

Comment from: J9, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had terrible chest congestion and sinus, then started a severe cough attack. I threw up clear stuff and my nose bled bright red, lots. It scared me. I thought it was my lung. My nose hurt real badly after that.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I am a sixteen-year-old male. I have never in memory experienced a nosebleed before except that induced by physical trauma. The other day in school I was suddenly and without warning afflicted by an extremely profuse nosebleed. Like, seriously gushing everywhere. Lasted almost ten minutes. Was mildly upsetting. Happened again today while I was chilling at my grandmother's house. Not as profuse or long-lasting, but equally random. Suggested cause: dry air and winter weather, sinuses. Not so certain.

Comment from: kmandrell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I have had nosebleeds since I was the age of 7 years. I am now 30 years old and still get nosebleeds. They start for no reason at times. I can blow my nose and they start and the strangest is when I'm doing nothing, get pressure all around my head and then my nose begins to bleed. I also find that when I am walking up stairs, I get light-headed and almost pass out if I do not stop because I get so dizzy. I have only passed out 3 times (that I know of) due to being so light headed and then my nose begins to bleed.

Comment from: Sophie, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 16

I hate nosebleeds, I keep getting them but I don't know how.

Comment from: Lingjung, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

It was the second time when my son was hit by an automobile that caused him to have grand mal seizures. At 23 I lost him to a seizure attack.

Comment from: jp5525, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I have never had a nosebleed and in the past two days I have had 2 that have lasted about 5 to 10 minutes, I don't know why.

Comment from: pbkmccallum, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I fell on my face and my nose is bleeding.

Comment from: Ali, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have not suffered from a nosebleed since I was younger and even then it has never been that bad. I woke up this morning and after an hour or 2 of being awake my nose started gushing with blood.

Comment from: rhy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

As far as I remember I have had no blood dyscrasia or abnormalities. But as I grew older I experienced epistaxis or nose bleeding during night time or dawn. I do not take blood thinner medication.

Comment from: Nosebleeding, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I have a friend who used to be addicted to cocaine. She now claims she never uses it; however, on occasion I've noticed her Kleenex has a slight tinge of blood (very slight). Sometimes I feel she is not telling me the truth because of the friends she continues to hang with. She does use Plavix due to a surgery she had several years ago. She claims she no longer uses cocaine.

Comment from: Vishal, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I am suffering from an allergic throat and acute sinusitis. Sometimes, due to excessive coughing in the morning to clear my nose and throat, I see blood in my sputum and then my throat starts hurting. Can somebody advise me how can I get rid of these disease? It has been almost three years now.

Comment from: scout, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I also have had several episodes recently and it may be the dryness in my house. One day it was bleeding quite a bit and took me a long time to get it stopped. When I did get it to stop, I bent over to get something, it started again. It is so hard to stop your everyday life but learn I have to take it easy. Two days later, it started again but not as severe. I mentioned it to my doctor and she doesn't know why, I may have to go to the ENT if it continues to recur.

Comment from: soloist, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I am guilty of being a nose picker and every morning I find my nose lining dry, so I blow but it doesn't shift it. Sure enough I did it once too often and as I removed my finger, down came the blood. I had my nose cauterized at aged 15, but didn't have much trouble again until a few years back and am now 65. I've had several bleeds in last few days and each time I think it has stopped, but just a bend down to do some gardening started it off again. I definitely won't touch my nose again!!

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: December 20

I am 74 years old and in very good health (lots of gym and spinning). After about one hour of sleep I noticed my nose was running. I thought it was just a runny nose but then I noticed the liquid was blood. I use a humidifier and it is not very cold outside. My nose has been bleeding for about 15 minutes, though not profusely. I do take an 81 milligram aspirin per day and have some hypertension, but I don't understand why the bleeding occurred.

Comment from: MarkH, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I haven't always had it happen. But, for a few years now I get them predictably starting around November and throughout the colder months. So it's pretty obvious that the cause of mine are the winter circumstances.

Comment from: sheena, 35-44 Female Published: October 17

I have never had a nosebleed in my life. For the last two days, I have been having bleeds that last for up to 6 minutes, and like others have said, mildly upsetting and extremely annoying. I can't think that this has anything to do with the weather as I have lived in the same climate for all my adult life. I am confused and will find out more until these 'sessions' are no longer a problem.

Comment from: RG, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 03

We took my son to the ER since he was having frequent nosebleeds, though they were short in duration. He is sixteen and has always been prone to them, but they really increased lately and all the treatments we were using did not seem to help. The ER doctor said my son had a nasal polyp which caused the bleeding. I was not aware that polyps do this, we are taking him to an ENT.

Published: August 29

For all of my sister's life she has experienced a mild nosebleed whenever she took aspirin. Well, she tried to take Tylenol and the same thing happens. She only takes 1 pill of either pill if she absolutely has to. Interesting!

Comment from: chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have had a cold for about a week and have blown my nose quite hard frequently. Had a little blood before but thought nothing of it. Then today was working bent down drilling a hole in a wall. Got up and then my nose just started pouring blood. Sought medical advice and they said keep head forward and pinch nose hard just below bone. Did that and it stopped after 45 minutes felt drained all day. An awful thing. Won't blow so hard next time.

Comment from: sunandsea, 55-64 Female Published: March 16

I am a 58 year old female and today for the first time in my life, I experienced a nose bleed. It came on very suddenly. I had to admit it was very upsetting. The nose bleed lasted for about 15 minutes. I treated it with some ice in a cloth. By the time I reached the doctor, 20 minutes later, it had stopped. Reason suggested: Blood vessel ruptured in the nose. I hope that I do not experience this again.

Comment from: nosebleeder2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I've had nosebleeds on and off for years in the winter. It is the dry climate in the winter months. But, I think these nosebleeds I've been having for a few weeks now are from when I went to the dentist to have four bottom teeth taken out, and the dentist left part of a tooth in there and tells me it's not there. My gums keep hurting, and then before I know it, it starts bleeding. I passed a large blood clot and the nosebleeds stopped for about three days and now they are back again.

Comment from: Triggsc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I had nosebleed on my right nostril for four days. It would stop for a while then start again and blood would run down my throat. I finally went to the ER. They cleaned it out, gave me a plastic clip and told me to use saline nasal spray. Today it started again so I used spray for the first time and it stopped. I will use the saline spray to keep it lubricated as directed.

Comment from: stevie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My nosebleed came from nowhere. I blew my nose and it bled for 15 minutes. Huge clots were passed and I've been dealing with this for three days now. Last night, I vomited and my nose started bleeding again. I have a headache, but I thought it was just my sinuses.

Comment from: dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I think I was taking an acetaminophen too long, and also an antihistamine. Then my nose started to bleed , every week, mostly at night.

Comment from: Zerato, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I do not know the cause of my nosebleeds, but they recur often. Everyone says nasal sprays, which work; however, if you have no nasal spray, fill your palm with cool water and stick your nose in it and slowly inhale a small amount of the water. It helped to keep my nostrils moist and I didn't have a nosebleed for quite a long time.

Comment from: Bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have been having nosebleeds now for about six weeks. I take plavix, 81 aspirin and peroxicam. Last night I had a nosebleed which lasted for two hours. I used Ice and Pressure, but it took a long time to stop it.

Comment from: Joe, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I've been having nosebleeds for a couple of hours now, which I find unusual as I never really ever have nosebleeds. Also, my right ear's been blocked since the night and have had a bad headache. I think my nosebleed's are because of this because I took some paracetamol to cure the headache during the night.

Comment from: Jackie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have been having nosebleeds now for the past three days and with headaches in tow. Feeling very drained. Some bleeds last longer than others. The longest has been 10 minutes. I have been on antibiotics for the past 3-4 weeks. My nose has not been dry at all until the nose bleeds started.

Comment from: Aluka, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 08

My dad suffers from nose bleeding. The doctors say it's too deep to burn the wain. He's on medication to thin his blood.

Comment from: herrick, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My son is 7 years old and he experienced nose bleeding frequently and I'm getting afraid of his situation. His mother is very worried too. My boy is a healthy boy. But it seems his veins in the nose is very sensitive. His bleeding last for about a minute or two, and his ears sometimes is aching.

Comment from: Soccer#10, 13-18 Male Published: July 12

I've been getting nose bleeds 2 to 3 times a day for the past week. I get minor ones when I wake up in the morning, but I get really bad ones when I'm active during the day. I also feel a little light-headed and dizzy afterwards.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter