Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Stop Fast

What do you do to stop a nosebleed?

Comment from: Dave Y, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 30

I recently had a 45 minute nose bleed from my left nostril. In desperation I wet the little finger on my left hand with water and gently pushed it all the way up my left nostril as far as it would go and held pressure with it against the center of my nose. The bleeding stopped in about 2 minutes. I was told that in emergency rooms they can insert small balloons and inflate them to stop the bleeding. I guess it places the pressure where it is needed and keeps excess blood from slowing down clot formation.

Comment from: Sharry, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Afrin is the nosebleed stopper! I carry a bottle in my purse. Here are the instructions. Grab a tissue. Fold or twist into a soft corner that will go in your nose and fill it. Now take your Afrin, and spray the tissue. Shove up your nose and gently hold with pressure from your fingers on the outside. This should stop it. Sit down and relax, and now prepare another one, and after a few minutes, remove the first one and plug in a clean one. This stops mine, thanks to my ENT.

Comment from: djn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I had nosebleeds as a teenager, then nothing. When I turned about 40 I started getting massive bleeds. If you have them as a kid, they will likely reoccur later. I have been burned four times, nasal packing was routine for a while. The best solution for getting them stopped for me is Afrin, plus ice on the nose or on the roof of the mouth. That usually can control it till I get into the ENT. Prevention people, prevention, I use bacitracin daily on a Q-Tip, and lubricate both sides. Then I use a nasal spray a couple times during the day. If it is particularly dry out, I will spray some Afrin up there in the morning as a preventive measure.

Comment from: John Anthony, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 20

For me Mom's solution almost never fails in 30 to 60 seconds, and I have had nosebleeds all my life. Just blow your nose on the side of the bleeding to get the excess and warm blood out that prevents clotting. Then immediately press your index finger on the outside of the nose where the bleeding is occurring for a minute or so, until clotting takes place and bleeding stops. After this, when cleaning, do not pick your nose.

Comment from: Tired of nosebleeds, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

The next time you have a nosebleed try using small ice pieces and hold some to the top of the inside of the mouth with your tongue. Most of the blood moving to the nose travels in that area, so by chilling and slowing the blood it helps to stop the nose from bleeding. I never have been good at the pinching, too tender of a nose I guess. But those of you who can, do that and the ice trick and it will be much better on the heavy bleeds. If you use a blood thinner this will also help since it localizes the slowing of the blood to the nose.

Comment from: Tink, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I am now having nosebleeds again, after not having them since childhood. I've tried many things and been to the emergency room. Here's the best, easiest and fastest way to stop them. Use the 'thumbs up' method. Raise your thumb on the side that's bleeding, then press thumb inward to mash that nostril flat against the septum. Hold firmly 10 minutes straight. Slowly release to allow blood flow to return. Repeat if needed. Even kids can do this.

Comment from: meet sandhu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I experienced nose-bleed twice within a month. And as far as I know about the cause, it was dryness caused by the radiators in winter. We should keep our sinuses lubricated with oil. Regular oiling your nostrils can prevent nose bleed. Staying cool and hydrated in winter is mandatory as well.

Comment from: Lan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I have had nosebleeds for as long as I remember. Last year, due to environmental changes, I suffered from a nasal infection and a serious case of strep, for both of which I took antibiotics. After the strep my nose, right nostril, was bleeding every day for about 10 minutes. I got it cauterized and it stopped for a month, I got it cauterized again and it got worse. After the third time nothing changed and now it is 7 months since they started, they go for about 15 minutes, and yes, every day. I am hoping to try an allergy specialist next because I do have allergies that have given me strange reactions in the past. What helps during a nose bleed, after I wash my face with cold water I pinch my nose, right under the bone, and after 15 minutes it stops. I get major headaches afterwards so I make sure to sit and drink water. Using Vaseline to keep it moist also helps. I apply it with a Q-tip.

Nosebleed - Symptoms and Remedies Question: How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Nosebleed - Causes Question: What was the cause of your nosebleed?
Nosebleed - Frequent or Chronic Question: If you suffer from frequent or chronic nosebleeds, how do you prevent them from recurring?