Patient Comments: Norovirus Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: KLM, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am in Northern California and norovirus has been increasing throughout the area, closing schools, etc. I started last Thursday feeling tired and a little nauseous. Friday I left for a ministry retreat to the ocean with friends and felt queasy. Friday night we had a Mexican Fiesta, but I stuck to a mild noodle soup. Saturday I still felt nauseous, aching, headache, ate a little more that day, but felt like I had reflux in my throat. I took Alka-Seltzer GI chews, but it did not help. Sunday we had a service outdoors and I felt a little better, but had burning in my throat/esophagus. I kept drinking seltzer water and ginger ale. Sunday night we had a barbeque of hot dogs, etc. Yes I ate, because I was hungry. Well, so sorry that I did. About 1:30 am Sunday/Monday I had explosive vomiting and diarrhea. I had this several times, plus the next morning. I was panicking because I had a 3 hour ride home. I knew ice chips are given to recovering patients in the hospital, so I made a bag of ice chips. I managed to get home on Monday and have not had any more vomiting or diarrhea, but as many have said, I had such sore muscles in the abdominal area and ribs. I am slowly increasing my diet of chicken soup, ginger ale, ice, etc. The nurse said this could last for a while. I had to cancel working as I handle food and cannot take a chance of infecting others. Others said they feel drained (literally), tired, slight headache, but the more I rehydrate the head ache gets better. I have had food poisoning in the past and it did not last longer than a day. Hope everyone gets better soon.

Comment from: Freebird 70, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I had been out of town with my two older teens to pick up my youngest daughter and spend a weekend of fun with my kids. We stopped and ate dinner at a nice restaurant coming home that I frequent often. I was sleeping great and woke up at 4:30 am nauseated, dizzy and with urges to puke. I never did puke. Lots of dry heaving. Body aches and chills and dizziness took over. I eventually had diarrhea and more symptom to throw up although I really never did. Several hours later I went to get my young daughter some milk in kitchen and urges to puke hit me again. I tried to but still nothing and again diarrhea hit me instead. I was in so much abdominal pain. I am 3 days in since the norovirus infection and have eaten just fine but the aches and dizziness won't go away. Mouth is dry and yucky! I have never felt this poisoned my whole life. Weak, tired, achy, nauseated, dizzy and although not puking much, I had bad diarrhea. I want my life back! I have had Gatorades, water, soups, and trying to stay vertical some. I have to work and clients are expecting me. I have to get over this.

Comment from: Nathalie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

The absolute worst illness I've ever had. I had the flu over 25 years ago and norovirus was a million times worse. I contracted it during Thanksgiving, from my niece who had been ill and throwing up after daycare. Within 24 hours I noticed a terrible sharp pain in my stomach. Less than 24 hours later I was experiencing chills, fatigue and tightening pain in my stomach. Symptoms worsened within a few hours until all I could do is curl up in a ball and sleep. Sweating and body aches lasted throughout the following day with piercing abdominal pain, very swollen stomach and diarrhea. The final day was all throwing up and less diarrhea, but I was thankful to finally be feeling better! Ugh.

Comment from: Sickman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

My norovirus infection started the first week of September and I still have it 10/13/2013. I have been in the Hospital five times for IV treatment and think it's time to go back again , I am still having trouble getting food or liquid down, the specialist sadly told me this could last 3 months. The good thing is every time I get the IV treatment the pain and sick feeling goes away but when I get home two days later it starts all over.

Comment from: noname, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Originally, I ate one chocolate-covered strawberry, felt bad two hours later, and spent two hours that night on the toilet with dry heaves and light diarrhea. I also had, not cramps, but stomach pain. In 24 hours, all was well. However, one week later, I felt cruddy again, with all-day loose stools. My granddaughter, who lives with me, had the same symptoms. It took a week for her to recover. I'm on day 5 and feel much better, but am dizzy and weak. I've just crossed the barrier to hoping I can eat something substantial soon. The best treatments for me were Imodium, Donnatal, Tylenol, and popcorn. Drinking ginger ale before bedtime caused hours, literally, of heartburn, reflux, and burping. I'm thinking that I have had an attack of acute norovirus followed a week later by a relapse. Weird; no fun.

Comment from: Say Uncle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I woke up Friday morning with a bad headache and a sore back, took one Aleve. I woke again a few hours later and that's when it started. I had diarrhea and a little nausea but didn't vomit. All my joints hurt and the stomach pains, well, it felt like someone was twisting a knife inside my abdomen. I had temperature of 102, tired, no appetite, and so thirsty. On Monday I was feeling better. Abdomen is so tender. So far my husband has no symptoms of norovirus infection. My new friends are Imodium, Tylenol and the toilet.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had serious nausea, gas, burping, stomach pain, fatigue, numbness, and then soreness when I started to get over it. Dad had serious diarrhea, gas, stomach pain. I was voting giardia lamblia when I first started researching but my doctor cousin has winning vote for Sidney norovirus. Sipping Gatorade (even more than ginger ale) helped but only a little, I started probiotics in the end. I am not aware of having fever for either of us, but the infection has lasted for six days. I was worried about dad as he is older with health issues but he weathered through it, glad he's tough. I am fit, active, I think I am healthy, it was the worst illness for me in decades, more pain than morning sickness. Dear friends and family of all those ill, support each other through illness, allow for rest and try to help. If you are sick two months later then you probably have something else.

Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
Comment from: JimJ51, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

Sunday, late afternoon, 01/12/14 I began feeling nauseated and dizzy. Shortly thereafter I began vomiting and had watery diarrhea. This continued throughout the evening and into the early morning hours of Monday (about 10-12 hours or so). I had severe cramping, dizziness, sweats and chills and felt like every pore in my body ached. Since mid-morning Monday the vomiting and diarrhea stopped but I've had almost no appetite and don't really want to think of food and today is Tuesday. I found hydration helped the most. Ice water made me feel the best and at times I just used ice chips letting them melt in my mouth. I lost 4 lbs overnight between Sunday and Monday. I got a flu shot this past November so I'm pretty sure this wasn't the flu. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Comment from: kathleen, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 09

I woke up with severe watery diarrhea, stomach cramps, and malaise. The diarrhea stopped for four days and then returned. Today is the fifth day of my symptoms and I have a lot of abdominal cramps.

Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow