Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Treatments

What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Denmenn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am 55 years old and CHOP chemotherapy saved my life in 1989 from stage 2 A mixed cell and large cell diffuse non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: CJ, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had a bad fall, resulting in bruising my abdominal area. A week later I had an ablation. I came out of recovery and for over the next 6 hours the pain in my abdomen increased. I did a CT scan and found that a hematoma had developed on the left side of my abdominal area. Due to thinning of my blood for the procedure it caused the bruised blood vessels to rupture.

Comment from: Tad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a sore back and was diagnosed with anaplastic large T-cell ALK negative non-Hodgkin's lymphoma last June. I underwent 6 rounds of CHOEP chemotherapy, 3 rounds of methotrexate, Cytoxan, high doses chemotherapy and a new birthday with stem cell transplant. Currently I am about four months out and feeling good. Wishing everyone else the best.

Comment from: Space Rock, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I found out I had bone marrow cancer (non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) in 2010 when I went to the doctor because I was tired all the time. He called me at 0720 to tell me to go to the hospital for a blood transfusion; 28 of them. I was treated with Rituxan 1 a week for 8 weeks and then 1 every 3 month for 2 years. I was in remission for 15 months and this year (2014) I started treatment again 1 a week 8 week and am in my 2 year maintenance of 1 every 2 months. I do not think there is a cure for what I have. By the way, in 2009 I had colon cancer and in 2011 I had parotid gland cancer. So I am aware of the different cancers.

Comment from: CoachKyle, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

In August of 2006 I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (ALCL). I was 18 years old and had just finished my first year of college. I had never even heard of this disease until the day I was diagnosed. I was feeling flu-like symptoms, extreme night sweats, fatigue, and had multiple swollen lymph nodes in my groin. I went through 6 rounds of CHOP chemotherapy and was declared in remission. However, 6 years later, it returned, this time in my neck area. I went forward with a new treatment called brentuximab followed by a stem-cell transplant. I am 2 years out of my transplant and so far, so good. Sometimes you just have to hope you are holding a better hand of cards than the cancer is. Hang in there.

Comment from: mamakitty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

My husband bumped me off the back of our motorcycle in 2004, we were at a stop sign. I hit my head, I was fine Saturday. Monday my fellow workers said my eye was bleeding, long story short, I was found to have lymphoma in my right eye. After that I did a series of radiation and it was stage 1, I have never had any more problems and it is 2016.

Comment from: BETTY, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My dad died on February 14, 1997 from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) stage 4. He was given one dose of chemotherapy and he had an MI (myocardial infarction) and went into multiple system failure. From the time my dad was diagnosed till he died was less than 3 weeks.

Comment from: janie decatur al, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

This response is for Diane, August 15 - get another doctor! All symptoms you described indicates non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Fortunately I had a small bowel obstruction, hospitalized from 2/17 to 2/21, and no surgery required. Surgeon ordered follow up CT scan, where he saw abnormal lymph nodes in groin, got results in 3 days, did biopsy, found NHL B-cell, and referred to oncologist, 3/27. I had PET scan on 4/04, port inserted 4/14, and began chemotherapy on 4/25. I have had 4 treatments, going for scan on 24th July to see progress. My initial symptoms were shortness of breath, unbearable night sweats, and occasional chest pain.

Comment from: blessed, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

In Dec. 2001 I was diagnosed with NHL stage IV. I was in hospital 3 months, had several surgeries and CHOP. My bone marrow stopped producing after my 5th chemo so I was again hospitalized for blood transfusions. My bone marrow returned and I continued my 8 rounds of CHOP. I was then 55 years old. Now, 10 years later, I am a healthy retired female. Twice I had heard the nurses discussing me and how they thought they would be carrying me "out the backdoor" any day, and how very very ill I was.

Comment from: Meera, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed NHL (grade 3) in July 2010. In June I had fever and rashes on my face and arms. A few nodes were also present on my neck, but the doctor dismissed it as a viral fever. In a couple of days my fever and rashes were gone, but nodes were still there. As days passed I felt tired and finally it ended in rectal bleeding and I was admitted in the hospital. Endoscopy, colonoscopy and CT scan were done. They found a tumor in my appendix and it was immediately removed. It was 10 cm long and 3 cm diameter. The biopsy report showed Lymphoma. I didn't have the slightest thought that I would have cancer. My treatment included monoclonal therapy and chemotherapy. In November 2010 I had my last chemo and in Jan 2011 I had my CT Scan done. The region included neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis. The result was normal. I struggled very much during my treatment. My family and friends supported me especially my sister. I lost all my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes. Now everything is back. I look the same to the people who are undergoing treatment don't get disappointed, you will be fine. Be positive, there's a beautiful life for you. Fight back. You get a positive result if your mind is positive.

View the Cancer Symptoms Women Ignore Slideshow
Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

In 1981 i entered a study at the National institutes of health. I was stages 3a folicular poorly differenciated Lymphoma. I was put on PROMACE/MOPP over the course of a year and then 'total nodal radiation' for about three months. I remained disease free until 6years ago. A tumor in my lung was diagnosed a typical lung carcinoid. I have had surgery to remove cancerous lung and lymphnoids. Now on monitoring.I have had no symptoms since surgery and remain 'clear' as of 2013 but am not cured.

Comment from: AZGVLD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I originally presented to my nurse practitioner with a lump in my throat and premature ventricular contractions. I was referred to a cardiologist for evaluation and blood work was done. The cardiologist did not identify any abnormal findings in the blood work because the lab reported the findings as within range; however, no range values were given. Three weeks later my nurse practitioner called and told me that the lymphocytes and neutrophils were abnormal. She sent me for a CT with contrast. About a week later the results showed that I had a swollen spleen and lymph nodes in my chest, auxiliary area, and abdomen. I went to the oncologist and he scheduled a lymph node biopsy followed by a PET scan. I am very frustrated because the surgeon did not call me to schedule the biopsy and I have lost even more time now to the holiday. Now I must wait until the surgeon's office opens to schedule the biopsy. Even after I get the biopsy the lab will have to provide the results before a diagnosis and treatment plan will be made. It seems like it's taking way to long while my symptoms seem to be getting worse. I am feeling like a cog in the medical system. I am very frustrated. I don't want to lose more time. I want to get a diagnosis so that I can start treatment.

Comment from: Heatherd, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 27

Just up and thinking about my dad. Well, it feels like yesterday that we all gathered up and heard the news that dad was at stage four of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I can't tell you as a little girl how many months I spent in the hospital with my 3 young siblings as we watched our healthy 33 year old father rapidly decline in health. I remember hearing his screams in the night. His poor legs would cramp up so terribly. Before he was sick I don't believe I ever remember him being in pain. He went from a healthy 188 pd man to about 80 pds. That was 20 years ago. He just married off my sister and she works in oncology as does my eldest sister. Guess it all touched our hearts. Congrats on going 20 years when only told 3 months! Have faith folks :) you can beat this monster.

Comment from: Kurt, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with Burkitt's Lymphoma six months ago. This is the most aggressive cancer known to man. I am now done with treatment -- lost every single strand of hair on my body. It is now growing back five weeks later. Cancer sucks. Stay positive though, remember you're the boss! I'm fine now, I would suggest anyone reading this to start a vegan diet and exercise daily. I mean, the reason you got cancer in the first place is what you're putting in your body. If you eat all natural foods, you will never get cancer.

View the Cancer Symptoms Women Ignore Slideshow