Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Treatments

What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?

Comment from: BETTY, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My dad died on February 14, 1997 from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) stage 4. He was given one dose of chemotherapy and he had an MI (myocardial infarction) and went into multiple system failure. From the time my dad was diagnosed till he died was less than 3 weeks.

Comment from: janie decatur al, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

This response is for Diane, August 15 - get another doctor! All symptoms you described indicates non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Fortunately I had a small bowel obstruction, hospitalized from 2/17 to 2/21, and no surgery required. Surgeon ordered follow up CT scan, where he saw abnormal lymph nodes in groin, got results in 3 days, did biopsy, found NHL B-cell, and referred to oncologist, 3/27. I had PET scan on 4/04, port inserted 4/14, and began chemotherapy on 4/25. I have had 4 treatments, going for scan on 24th July to see progress. My initial symptoms were shortness of breath, unbearable night sweats, and occasional chest pain.

Comment from: blessed, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

In Dec. 2001 I was diagnosed with NHL stage IV. I was in hospital 3 months, had several surgeries and CHOP. My bone marrow stopped producing after my 5th chemo so I was again hospitalized for blood transfusions. My bone marrow returned and I continued my 8 rounds of CHOP. I was then 55 years old. Now, 10 years later, I am a healthy retired female. Twice I had heard the nurses discussing me and how they thought they would be carrying me "out the backdoor" any day, and how very very ill I was.

Comment from: Meera, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed NHL (grade 3) in July 2010. In June I had fever and rashes on my face and arms. A few nodes were also present on my neck, but the doctor dismissed it as a viral fever. In a couple of days my fever and rashes were gone, but nodes were still there. As days passed I felt tired and finally it ended in rectal bleeding and I was admitted in the hospital. Endoscopy, colonoscopy and CT scan were done. They found a tumor in my appendix and it was immediately removed. It was 10 cm long and 3 cm diameter. The biopsy report showed Lymphoma. I didn't have the slightest thought that I would have cancer. My treatment included monoclonal therapy and chemotherapy. In November 2010 I had my last chemo and in Jan 2011 I had my CT Scan done. The region included neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis. The result was normal. I struggled very much during my treatment. My family and friends supported me especially my sister. I lost all my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes. Now everything is back. I look the same to the people who are undergoing treatment don't get disappointed, you will be fine. Be positive, there's a beautiful life for you. Fight back. You get a positive result if your mind is positive.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

In 1981 i entered a study at the National institutes of health. I was stages 3a folicular poorly differenciated Lymphoma. I was put on PROMACE/MOPP over the course of a year and then 'total nodal radiation' for about three months. I remained disease free until 6years ago. A tumor in my lung was diagnosed a typical lung carcinoid. I have had surgery to remove cancerous lung and lymphnoids. Now on monitoring.I have had no symptoms since surgery and remain 'clear' as of 2013 but am not cured.

Comment from: AZGVLD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I originally presented to my nurse practitioner with a lump in my throat and premature ventricular contractions. I was referred to a cardiologist for evaluation and blood work was done. The cardiologist did not identify any abnormal findings in the blood work because the lab reported the findings as within range; however, no range values were given. Three weeks later my nurse practitioner called and told me that the lymphocytes and neutrophils were abnormal. She sent me for a CT with contrast. About a week later the results showed that I had a swollen spleen and lymph nodes in my chest, auxiliary area, and abdomen. I went to the oncologist and he scheduled a lymph node biopsy followed by a PET scan. I am very frustrated because the surgeon did not call me to schedule the biopsy and I have lost even more time now to the holiday. Now I must wait until the surgeon's office opens to schedule the biopsy. Even after I get the biopsy the lab will have to provide the results before a diagnosis and treatment plan will be made. It seems like it's taking way to long while my symptoms seem to be getting worse. I am feeling like a cog in the medical system. I am very frustrated. I don't want to lose more time. I want to get a diagnosis so that I can start treatment.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?