Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: ginny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

After 5 intestinal obstructions over 5 months this year, I had surgery to remove a tumor in the intestine. It turned out to be non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, stage 1. My only symptoms were abdominal pain and some weight loss. I will have my third R-CHOP treatment next week, then 3 more, one every 3 weeks. So far I feel pretty lousy but look forward to finishing it by the end of the year.

Comment from: Shirish, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I suddenly noticed a small lump in my neck area in 2011. It was painless and I was active in my job. However as a matter of precaution, I decided to go for biopsy and the diagnosis was non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. My oncologist advised me to go for PET, CT scan, and chemotherapy. I go for regular follow up. It's more than 5 years from the date of my last chemotherapy and I am ok. Timely diagnosis and treatment by a good oncologist is of very much important.

Comment from: tmcgrath, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I was diagnosed with 2 forms of B cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) in January 2012, indolent follicular and large diffuse. The doctor told me the follicular mutated into the large diffuse which was fortunate as it produced symptoms; abdominal pain, night sweats, and itching. It was stage 2, isolated in a couple of regions of the abdominal mesentery tissue near the aorta, kidneys and small intestines. I was given 6 R-CHOP chemotherapy treatments every 3 weeks followed by Rituxan maintenance every 8 weeks for 2 years. It has been over 5 years and I remain cancer free. The only lingering side effect is neuropathy in the soles of my feet. The doctor says follicular lymphoma tends to recur but, so far, so good! Good luck!

Comment from: Matt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been diagnosed with follicular lymphoma. I haven't asked what grade it is. I have extreme body pain and I am concerned that I may have (neurolymphomatosis). I am halfway through my treatments and my abdominal tumors are shrinking. I believe my doctors are delaying telling me about the possibility of neurolymphomatosis, I see no other reason why I would have so much pain.

Comment from: Patrick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I was watching a program on TV one day and noticed a fairly large lump in my neck. I asked my wife to feel it and she felt I should call the doctor immediately which I did. He brought me in right away and had a biopsy taken. The biopsy confirmed cancer as potentially non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. A week later the lump was surgically removed and the cancer was verified as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Because the cancer was found quickly I did not require chemotherapy, only radiation treatments and a bone marrow biopsy all of which lasted for about 6 to 9 months. I was tested for 5 years afterwards before being considered cancer free. And that is where I stand today, 10 years after the fact. Early diagnoses saved my life.

Comment from: marhadaway, (Patient) Published: December 22

I had pain in groin and doctor ordered sonogram and blood work. He sent me to a hematologist and he ordered CT and biopsy, but they did not do biopsy as I cannot have the dye. I went back for a follow up and he said I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and would watch blood work every 3 months. I asked for a PET scan, and it is all in one area. He tells me not to worry about it.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?