Nightmares are dreams that cause high anxiety or terror. Nightmares may be a part of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and they usually occur during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. There are several different treatment options for nightmares, including cognitive-behavioral therapy and medications. Read more: Nightmares Article
Related Disease Conditions
Tonsillitis and Adenoiditis
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms of bad breath, snoring, congestion, headache, hoarseness, laryngitis, and...
Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep....
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a psychiatric condition, can develop after any catastrophic life event. Symptoms include...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Grief: Loss of a Loved One
Grief is the feeling one experiences after a loss (of a friendship, death of loved one, job). Complicated grief refers to grief...
Separation anxiety disorder is a common childhood anxiety disorder that has many causes. Infants, children, older kids and adults...
Sleepwalking (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Mental Illness in Children
About 5 million children and adolescents in the U.S. suffer from a serious mental illness such as eating disorders, anxiety...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
There are many forms of sexual assault, including rape, attempted rape, child molestation, sexual intercourse that you say no to,...
Sleep Related Breathing Disorders
Sleep-related breathing disorders are characterized by disruptions of normal breathing patterns that only occur during sleep....
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children and Teenagers
Sleep needs in children and teenagers depend on the age of the child. Sleep disorders in children such as: sleep apnea,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Sleep: Your Child's Sleep Habits and You
- Sleep Disorders in Adults
- Sleep Disorders with Kids
- Sleep Disorders
- Sleep Solutions: Michael Breus, PhD
- Sleep and Health for Older Americans -- Sonia Ancoli-Israel, PhD
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Help Your Child Deal With Night Terrors
- Nightmares Common Among U.S. Troops, But Seldom Reported
- Asthma Drug Tied to Nightmares, Depression
- Hurricanes' Toll on Mental Health Will Linger
- Can a Digital Doctor Help You Sleep?
- Poor Sleep May Worsen Suicidal Thoughts
- Teen Boys Treated for Assault Often Want Mental Health Care, Too
- Prince Harry's Journey Shows Grief Can Be a Long Road
- A 'Brainwave' to Help Fight PTSD
- Violent Media Often Give Rise to Nightmares
- Parents Often Miss Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in Kids
- Be Alert for PTSD After Pregnancy Loss
- Health Tip: Avoid These 5 Pre-Bedtime Don'ts
- Fallout From 9/11 May Include Early Dementia
- PTSD May Stiffen Veterans' Arteries, Boosting Heart Risks
- Wearable Electric Patch May Ease PTSD
- Health Tip: These Triggers May be a Nightmare
- Mindfulness Therapy Might Help Ease PTSD
- Trauma, PTSD May Raise Women's Odds of Heart Attack, Stroke: Study
- Depression, Insomnia, Fatigue Are the Stuff of Nightmares
- Health Tip: Talking in Your Sleep
- Mini-Strokes May Lead to PTSD, Study Finds
- PTSD Link to Food Addiction Seen in Report
- Health Tip: If Your Child is Having Nightmares
- Health Tip: Recognize Signs of Bullying
- Suicides More Likely After Midnight, Study Finds
- ICU Patients at Much Greater Risk for PTSD: Study
- Nightmares May Haunt Bullied Kids
- Could Childhood Nightmares Foreshadow Mental Ills as Teen?
- College Drinking May Aggravate PTSD Symptoms
- No Rise of PTSD Seen in Children With Cancer
- Health Tip: Is Your Blood Sugar Low at Night?
- New Test Spots Risk for PTSD in Injured Kids
- Most Childhood Sleep Problems Are Preventable: Exper
- Sleep Apnea Treatment Eases Nightmares in Vets With PTSD: Study
- Health Tip: What's Keeping Your Child Awake?
- Health Tip: Help Ease Night Terrors
- Cartoons May Ease Anxiety for Kids Facing Surgery
- Taking Terror Out of Nightmares: Tips for Parents
- Complementary Medicine May Help Soldiers With PTSD: Study
- Vets' Readjustment Issues May Spur PTSD Treatment
- Sleep Problems Linked to More Special Ed
- Health Tip: Is Anxiety Affecting Your Child?
- Violent TV Shows Keep Young Kids Awake: Study
- Improve Care for Veterans With PTSD: Report
- Health Tip: If Your Child Has a Nightmare
- PTSD Unrecognized Risk Among Heart Attack Patients
- Violence Takes a Toll on Children's Sleep
- Health Tip: Minimize Nightmares
- 'Cyberstalking': Worse Than in-Person Harassment?