Patient Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Laura, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

I am 80 years old, never had problem at menopause, no flash or sweats. Medical problems are an underactive thyroid, back problems and small tear in rotator cuff. I take medication and do therapy. I recently started sweating whenever I am doing minor physical work. My night sweats started recently too, and occur within minutes after falling asleep. Sweats to my body are minor but my head is extreme. Body temperature is supposed to lower during sleep. I wake up 2 or 3 times a night with excessive sweating, head soaked. Now I cover my pillow with a towel every night and wash it every day.

Comment from: Nelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 63 years old. I notice I am getting night sweats. I have low thyroid. I had total hysterectomy in year 2000. I am concerned about my health. I also have diabetes, no medication.

Comment from: andy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I seem to have night sweats after eating something with peanuts.

Comment from: Kasallee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

In the first few moments as I fall asleep, I start sweating. I don't know why and not have been to the doctor to determine a reason. I had a total hysterectomy 20 years ago, so I don't think it has anything to do with menopause. I am 56 years old. I do not like heavy covers, mainly a sheet or light blanket is plenty. We do not keep our home hot. I have a tiny fan by my bedside and as long as I have air gently blowing on my face, all is resolved! Just keep the air moving. A central air unit cycling on and off does not help. I hope this helps someone! I do want to add that the night sweats are not limited to the first few minutes as I fall asleep. Many times it happens during the night. Covers on, covers off. A foot out, a leg out. Something to bring in the coolness. But the fan in the face is my savior.

Comment from: Jessiel, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

I am a 20 years old female and for the past 6 years I have been suffering from night sweats and hot flushes. It has never really bothered me before until now as it has got a lot worse. I'm waking up three times a night and each time stripping my bed and going in the shower. I'm embarrassed to see someone about this.

Comment from: cape cod Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am a 72 woman, recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I underwent chemotherapy and 6 weeks of radiation. I also have diabetes type 2 and on medications for a sluggish thyroid. I am well past menopause (age 40) and recently developed night sweats or hot flashes. I need to know why and what to do about them.

Comment from: Rhysie, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I've been getting night sweats around my pelvic region for a while now. It can be so bad that sometimes I thought I actually wet my bed. But I haven't. I wonder what it is.

Comment from: Papa, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I wake up in the middle of the night because I am feeling cold; which is due to the sheets and pillow case being quite wet. I usually sweat most from my neck, back, and head. Sometimes the sweating is so intense that I have to take a shower in cool water. When I am dry, I go sleep in the bed in the guest bedroom. So far I have not experienced that more than once during my sleep. Interestingly, if I take a nap during the day, I don't have this problem during the nap.

Comment from: shanna.le, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My night sweats started about a year ago. I'd take a shower at night then go to sleep, and then when I wake up my body feels sticky and sweaty. I'm only 21.

Comment from: Lorie Haight, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am having some bad back problems and just started to get treatment for this. I am having night sweats every night now. My home heat is at 62 at night. My sweats start at my head and seem to work down to my feet. My hair gets soaking wet. I wonder if this could be from my back injury. I go next Wednesday to start injections. I have slipped discs, one in the middle and one by my tail bone.

Comment from: Bobbie929, (Patient) Published: April 07

I am an 81 year old woman and I have night sweats that soak my shirt every night. I get up for the bathroom every two hours, and chill in wet clothes. I have a thyroid condition, Hashimoto's disease, and the doctor gave me a very minimal dose of thyroid, Tirosint. He feels it to be dangerous to increase the dosage even though my hair is falling out and I have night sweats.

Comment from: quietman, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 31

My son is 24 years old and sweats so bad in his sleep that it looks like someone has thrown a bucket of water over him; this occurs every night. He is a chef in a hotel so he sweats while he is at work which is normal. His bedroom is in no way too warm and there is always a window open for fresh air. Apart from that he is never sick but refuses to go to see our general physician or any other doctor for that matter.

Comment from: JulieM., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

Kelizrin, I am happy to have found you. Since my mid 20s I have been experiencing exactly everything you said with the night sweats and been told by doctors it was menopause. It couldn't be menopause. I got my first symptoms way too soon in life for it to be menopause. I wish I had answers for you, but doctors don't seem to be concerned about my situation either. I'm just thankful to find someone else who has experienced this as young as their 20s because I'm tired of doctors making me out to just be crazy when I tell them it isn't menopause. Sleeping in loose clothing, no clothing, AC running with a ceiling fan, nothing works. I am still waking up drenched every single night.

Comment from: mrbobb1939, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I'm a 75 year old male in reasonably good health, but I've been having night sweats off and on now for nearly 3 to 4 months. My physician has sent me for many tests, CAT scan, blood work, etc., but there is nothing to indicate the reason for the night sweats.

Comment from: Brigitte, Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have severe night sweats. I asked my gynecologist to give me a prescription, she did but it seemed to me that it made the sweats way more severe, even the first week. So I stopped taking them. Today is October 30th and last night I was up 10 times to turn on the air conditioner, ceiling fan and I have a fan on a stool right by my bed. I feel this is way too ridiculous and extreme sweats. I started night sweats after I had my last child at the age of 36, but these sweats are super severe. I could be standing here talking to a neighbor and I start drenching, it is pretty embarrassing. I will be 54 in December and this is absolutely unbelievable to me, sometimes I think I am being punished, goodness! My in-law cousin told me to go to a health food store and get some kind of yam root or sweet potato root pills that is supposed to be good for these severe heat sweats. I want to try something natural and healthy.

Comment from: CH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Recently I've been having sweats while sleeping and not just at night. This has been a long term issue since I was in my 30s. I am now 51. After a 3 year hiatus they are back. I am not going through menopause because I had a hysterectomy when I was 40. No doctor I've seen is willing to take my condition seriously.

Comment from: Sgc123, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 25 and have recently been having really bad night sweats and what seems to be like a sleep paralysis (I am having that feeling when you need to wake up to stop something horrible from happening, but you can't move your body or even speak). My night sweats are not little, my legs have been drenched in sweat, my arms, my stomach, everything! I recently had my appendix out (2 weeks ago) and I am still having pain where my muscle was cut above the pubic bone. Not sure if this could be causing my body some distress and making it go crazy at night or what.

Comment from: rainybug, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am 71. My periods stopped at 38. At age 28 I was on birth control pills for a year. They caused me to have numerous blood clots in my left leg and both ovaries. I cannot take hormones. From age 38 to age 70 I had 3 hot flashes; it was really bad and I couldn"t move to get up to the bathroom. Now I am on several meds for blood pressure, sugar and pain. I have night sweats so bad the whole bed is wet and I am freezing. I have talked to 2 doctors, one says it can"t be menopause and one says it could be. I think it is side effect of medicines I am on.

Comment from: Kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had been taking hormones and HRT (hormone replacement therapy), until for an unrelated problem I cutoff all medicine I was taking, including Premarin. I have intermittent hot flashes during the day (some severe) and serious night sweating which wakes me up every 2 or 3 hours and exhausts and drains my energy.

Comment from: betty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I woke up in the middle of the night with wet pajamas. The room temperature was 66 and I only had a light quilt. I got up to go the bathroom. On the stool, I started to get dizzy. I went down to the floor and slowly struggled to crawl back to my bedroom. I finally made it. I lay on the bed still soaking wet. Finally, I cooled off and was able to sleep again. I felt better in the morning but still had low blood pressure (106). The pajamas were dry in the morning. I do have atrial fibrillation.

Comment from: Kelizrin, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I am 22 years old and haven been woken up about every 3 to 4 hours drenched in sweat and freezing, for about 85% of the past 4 years. I"ve tried a variety of methods to keep myself from sweating - no covers, no pajamas, only light covers/pajamas, 100% natural bedding/pajamas, different hormonal birth control, no hormonal birth control, fans, high a/c, no a/c- yet this monster has followed me around the entire east coast, into the Caribbean and multiple parts of Europe. I"m not over or under weight, regularly active, I run a little more than 4 miles and lightly weight train 3 to 4 times a week. I"ve always eaten well and when I go to my general practitioner/obstetrician/gynecologist/college clinic they have nothing to tell me except that I"m fine and healthy. My skin is terrible because of the constant sweat, dehydration and lack of sleep and I really can"t spend the time/energy to wash my sheets every day anymore. Let alone the constant lack of concentration and motivation because I"m always so tired. Let me know if anyone has answers for this!

Comment from: Had40something, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have been waking up around 4am cold and soaked. Clearly I am having night sweats but only wake up because I am now drenched and cold. I recently changed to a progesterone only birth control due to high blood pressure. I am also currently taking a low dose (short term) prednisone for asthma exacerbation.

Comment from: hot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have had night sweats for 4 years. The bedroom is 62 degrees, I am cold when I go to bed and as soon as I fall asleep I start to sweat. I hate it and I wake multiple times every night dripping in sweat. I never have hot flashes during the day. I know because of my age it is assumed to be due to menopause but I have never been convinced of that.

Comment from: Blonde7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm 29 years old and have several night sweats a night. I have tried sleeping in lighter clothing with only the sheet as a cover, but I am never hot when these occur. I can be sleeping out of the covers and still get a night sweat. I have a hard time sleeping anyway, and when I finally do fall asleep I wake up suddenly soaked. Everything I find is related to menopause, I just wish someone could help me figure out what to do.

Comment from: joicieg, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I am a 77 year old lymphoma patient. I have/had hot flashes since I was 49 years old and started menopause. I was on Prempro until a year or so ago, when I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and found out the flashes had nothing to do with menopause. I wish/hope gynecologists would have women tested to see if they have cancer or their flashes are associated with lymphoma, if it lasts longer than 5 years.

Comment from: jANE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have suddenly started to lose weight 10 lb. over 4 days. I have not eaten anything different. I have in fact eaten fish and chips and drank wine; had a Devon tea, crisps, cake, etc. I am quite worried. I am not menopausal anymore. I have started having awful night sweats. I wake up soaked.

Comment from: louise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

For the last 7 nights I have been waking up 1 to 2 in the morning with severe night sweats. Clothes are drenched. I wonder if this is the beginning of menopause. I have no problem of sweating during the day.

Comment from: Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

Last few months I have been waking up at around 4 am in a pool of sweat (twice). I normally do not sweat much.

Comment from: vanessa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

My night sweats were from having leukemia caused by the chemotherapy I received 40 years ago for ovarian cancer.

Comment from: 1bigbadmama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I am having side effects of premenopausal like hot flashes. I normally am freezing cold most of the time and now having night sweats but humidifier helps me! Just an Idea for others.

Comment from: bm, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 06

My grandson wakes up soon after going to sleep sweating quite hard. After he goes back to sleep, his sweating stops.

Comment from: Raven101318, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I usually don't get night sweats. I'm through with menopause. I woke up and thought I was in a lake. From the top of my head to my toes I was soaked and so was the bed. I wonder what would cause this.

Comment from: adam, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I usually wake up wet even when it is winter time. You can imagine my problem with night sweat. Even when it is very cold and I don't use blankets it happens.

Comment from: kitten, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have chronic lymphocytic leukemia. I am considered to only be stage 0 at this point, but am experiencing drenching night sweats for the past couple of months. Oncologist does not think it is related to my cancer, but I beg to differ. Anyone know much about night sweats and leukemia, I would like to hear from you.

Comment from: Marli, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I've been taking Premarin for a few years but the last month or so I don"t feel well. I am sweating although it's cold, I am getting hot flushes and can't sleep through. I am on 0,625 of Premarin a day.

Comment from: bado, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I too suffer from night sweats for seemingly years now. Trying to figure out what is causing it is a little scary. I would like to know the impact of dietary sodium intake and kidney functioning. It does seem when I consume less salt, I sweat less and sometimes not at all.

Comment from: mikel, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 21

It drives me mad to keep waking in bed with night sweats, sometimes 2 to 5 times at night. I'm a 60 years old male.

Comment from: bobby, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I am undergoing a weaning down program (2 weeks) for clonazepam used for sleep. I am having night sweats and a hot sensation from forehead to chest area mostly during the night.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I'm a 27-year-old female with nightly night sweats despite the fact that I run a fan, and I wear a tank top and shorts for pajamas year-round. My dad and older brother say they tend to sweat a lot when they sleep, so it could be a genetic thing for me. I wake up usually after four hours of sleep completely drenched where it is actually dripping down my chest and legs. I usually either change clothes or roll to a dry part of my bed, ripping the covers off until I freeze and need them again. I experience no other abnormalities otherwise and am very fit. I do, however, tend to have very vivid dreams. Also, I have become more anxious in my "old" age (versus when I was in college), so perhaps I'm stressing myself out to the point of sweating at night.

Comment from: summitman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I'm a 53-year-old male. I suffer from night sweats almost nightly. I can completely soak my side of the bed. I wake up cold and soaking wet. At times, I have to get up and change my wet clothing. I find it necessary to sleep in some type of clothing so I don't soak the mattress and blankets. I don't know if there's a "connection" or not, but I also have what I call "frustrating" dreams. In my dreams, I am extremely frustrated about something. When I wake up and reflect on my dreams, they make absolutely no sense. It is getting to the point that I hate to go to bed at night, and I want to take something like Excedrin PM at bedtime to try and insure sound sleep. I've had these sweats for years off and on, but in the last year, they have increased to a nightly event. My health is in general good condition.

Comment from: janis, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

My mother wakes up sweating profusely just about every night. It occurs around 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. She has to change bedclothes and even sheets. They are soaked. Sometimes it happens again around 7 a.m. She is 86 years old and diabetic. We check her sugar when this occurs, and it is not low (high 100s and low-to-mid 200s). This began when she was hospitalized two months ago with asthmatic bronchitis and pneumonia and was on steroids. She has been off the steroids for several weeks, but the night sweats continue. She has also not been able to get rid of the incessant, unproductive cough. Her doctors are at a loss to explain.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I'm a 53-year-old male. I've been having night sweats on and off for years. Weeks may pass without sweating, and then I may wake three or four times the following week with night sweats. Last night, I woke at 3 a.m. with horrible sweating from head to toe. I usually get up and dry myself with a towel, which I keep next to the bed. It's as if someone has tipped water over me. I'm soaked, and so are the sheets. I usually then lie on a towel once I'm back in bed. I consider myself in good health but with slightly elevated blood pressure, which I am on medication to treat. My occupation as a locomotive engineer requires lots of unusual shifts, which I have been doing for 33 years. I have strange sleep patterns, and sometimes I do not get more than four hours per day.

Comment from: GMP, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I am a 20-year-old college student with chronic anemia. (I'm tired most of the time.) Because of this, I usually have no trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. I also, however, have bad dust and pollen allergies, which result in asthma and frequent sinus infections. For my most recent sinus infection (which I am still finishing the antibiotics for), I was prescribed a new kind of antibiotic (they usually give me a Z-pack, but those stopped working for me) called clarithromycin, a 10-day antibiotic I've never tried before. Ever since I started taking it, I've been moody, had stomach pains, lost my appetite (a big deal for me; I'm always hungry) and, I've been having severe night sweats. They usually wake me with a start in the middle of the night, and I am soaked with sweat from the neck down. I changed my pajamas four times last night. The only way I stop sweating is if I use no covers in my freezing cold dorm room, but then I freeze and cannot fall asleep. This is causing me to lose even more sleep than usual, and it is a very frustrating mystery for me! I wish they would just stop! I only hope they are connected to the antibiotics and not some other underlying issue.

Comment from: Kelpatterson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I came down with an illness that kept me sitting up in a chair in order to breathe. I had fever, vomiting, and difficulty breathing. Following the 6 weeks, after I began getting up and around again, I started having very unusual symptoms. Such as incontinence, joint muscle pain, vision loss, weakness, numbing in my hands, calves and feet. I walked with a cane because I began having drop attacks. Six months later I lost the use of my legs and ended up wheelchair bound. I have since then graduated from my wheelchair to arm brace/crutches. I have been sick with esophageal pain, weight loss, difficulty eating, chest pain and shortness of breath, just to name a few. I currently have no immune system and receiving IVIG blood transfusions every month. I am still very weak, have no energy, and constantly fatigued. How do I go about getting the proper tests done. I want to make sure I do not have any other underlying illness. They have still yet to find the origin of my physical pain. They stated that my physical pain is not related to my lack of T-cells.

Comment from: Veteran, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

When I mention having night sweats, clinicians look at me as if I have 16 eyes just because I am a male. I have had them for years. Most of the time, I just get uncomfortably hot with no actual sweating. I uncover, and when I cool down, I have to recover because I prefer a very cool bedroom.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I am a 49 year old female. I have been getting night sweats (from my neck to the chest and on the back only) for about 3 consecutive nights now. There were no sweats on my forehead or anywhere else. I am usually a cold blooded person that needed to wear extra layers to bed. My hand is always cold. I had my blood tested 2 weeks ago and there is no indication that I am having menopause (maybe perimenopausal). I have been stressed lately and also been losing weight (not by choice).

Comment from: sweaty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

A life of cramps, blood clots, birth, and now night sweats! Not fair!

Comment from: Connie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I wake in the morning wet from head to toe with sweat. I am 65 and over menopause.

Comment from: windmill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I've been under immense stress for last 18 months, and lost 20 kg in weight since then. Last few weeks I starting sweating in the night so bad that sheets and everything is drenched.

Comment from: Dolly1957, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I just had a knee replacement and am taking Norco and warfarin. I am having night sweats and wondering if either of these medicines may be causing them.

Comment from: Arlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Every 2 hours my whole body is sweating.

Comment from: Daisey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I wake up at night wet with sweat on my head, throat, neck and chest.

Comment from: Sleepless, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I am suffering from night sweats that cause me to wake up between 1 and 3 in the night even though the room temperature is below 70 F.

Comment from: sbjchristy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have fibroids and liver masses that are benign. But the night sweats are unusual considering that I sleep with a fan set on high every night.

Comment from: tharpe59, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I am trying to find out what is causing my night sweats. I wake up and my bed is soaked and I'm cold, my bed and body are soaked.

Comment from: herstory, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I wake up in a puddle of sweat. Then, when I wake up, I'm freezing.

Comment from: frederick, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

I have night sweats so bad my sheets are drenched, my pillow is soaked through and through, and that's every night. I don't understand it. It's from head to toe. I don't have it too warm and I sleep bare most of the time its under an air conditioner!

Comment from: Lwt5150, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I am a 47-year old male, and I have had night sweats for about ten years now. I wake up drenched every single morning. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I will be literally dripping from head to toe. I do fairly well at home, but when I travel it is very problematic. Cannot get a good night's sleep in a hotel room. I will wake up freezing in the summer, being absolutely soaked in a room with no heat.

Comment from: Greygirl57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

My night sweats started about 3 to 4 years ago. i have been post-menopausal for years and never had them at that time. there seems to be a connection between my vivid dreams and deep sleep as well as the severity of my stress level at the time. i suffer from high blood pressure which is very controlled as well as two auto immune diseases and severe osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and disc disease; all severe. i take norvasc and know it can cause dreams. also a potassium saving blood pressure med. totally think related to either my autoimmune issues stress and pain.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

I am 27 and I wake up almost every nite also after about 4-5 hours sleep , covered in sweat, I rarely remember my dreams I've had blood work done and I'm in great health no one in my fam has these issues. I do have allergies tho. But I've noticed that my mid body like my chest and stomach will usually be very hot before I go to sleep whenever I get these nite sweats although there have been times when I go to bed regular and still wake up covered in swet from the neck down.

Comment from: Linda0428, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I am a 72 year old woman with night sweats the past 2 years. I do have diabetes 1 but when I do a BS test upon suffering a night sweat, I am always within a normal range. I only sweat on the right side of my head and neck, soaking my hair and night gown on my right side only. The doctor has no idea what causes this.

Comment from: Rosie Taylor, 65-74 (Patient) Published: April 14

I suffer from severe hot flashes that drench my nightwear and are repeated during the daytime. I also have feelings of nausea that prevent me from eating normally. These symptoms are getting progressively worse. I am 72 years old and was diagnosed with epilepsy two years ago.

Comment from: DLG, 45-54 Female Published: April 08

For the past three to four months, I break out in a full-body sweat, starting from my head on down. It lasts about one to two minutes, and then I get cold. This happens every couple of hours. At night, I wake up dripping wet, then cold. I am a 50-year-old female. I haven't had a period for the last 15 months.

Comment from: Jaye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been experiencing drenching night sweats for more than 12 years now. The condition has stumped dozens of doctors. All causes -- cancer, infection, hormonal, etc. -- have been investigated. It can't be very dangerous as I still consider myself a healthy person.

Comment from: Ciaran, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I'm 32, and for about seven years now, I've been getting sleep sweats. I call it sleep sweats because it happens during the day and night -- whenever I sleep. It only seems to happen from my waist down. When I wake up, me and my sheets are soaking, so much so that it pours down my legs. It's really bugging me.

Comment from: Karen B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 58-year-old female. I had a total hysterectomy when I was 29 years old. I went through the hot flash times several years ago. Now, two weeks ago, I had a viral flu that was absolutely horrible. The fever and pain was so bad that I popped the ibuprofen more than I should have. Since getting over this flu, I have been having two to three night sweats that are not the same as the hot flashes. I only sweat from my neck down to my chest. I wake up soaking wet but only in that area.

Comment from: Collins, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

In the last two months, I have been waking up at 1 a.m. with my clothes completely drenched. It's as if someone has just dipped me in a bucket of water. I change my clothing and go back to sleep to find the above pattern has repeated itself at about 3 a.m. Sometimes, I get a third cycle of the above in one night, and then sometimes I can go for days without the night sweats.

Comment from: kindal, Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have suddenly started having severe night sweats. I have been on hormone replacement therapy since age 23. (I am now 54 years old.) I've have never had a problem until now. Nothing has changed that I can pinpoint to determine a cause of the night sweats and difficulty sleeping. I take trazadone, but I have taken it for years without any side effects.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I get night sweats about three to four times a month. It is just my upper body, mostly in the neck area.

Comment from: sfxplant, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I occasionally have night sweats where I feel cold and hot at the same time. If I throw the covers off, then I'm suddenly freezing, so I stay covered up and sweat my brains out.

Comment from: Deedra, 35-44 Female Published: April 09

I am a 39 year old female. For the past 6 months or so I have been having night sweats almost every night. I wake up in the middle of the night drenched in seat from head to toe. I push my covers off of me and still continue to sweat. The air temperature in the house is about 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I also think I am developing insomnia, so that might have something to do with it. I am getting very frustrated with it because I do not know what is going on.

Comment from: dianne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I am 33 years old. I have had night sweats for about 2 years. Some nights when I don't sleep well, I won't have them, but every night that I do fall into a good sleep, I sweat a lot.

Comment from: Ggramma B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

As a 72 year old woman long past menopause, I find that recently I am suffering nightly from excessive sweating. I have had a complete hysterectomy and oophorectomy; therefore I don't believe that hormones are the problem.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I noticed that I have consistently have night sweats about 3 days before I start my monthly cycle and continues 2-3 days after. My cycle is irregular with occurrence every 14 days in recent months. The night sweats only happens below my waist/hip section. Sometimes I sweat everywhere but it seems to concentrate in my mid section most of the time. I am in my mid thirties so not sure if this is normal.

Comment from: patriciajsasha, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 31

My husband is 29 and for the last 6 months he gets severe night sweats from his face down through his neck and chest. It has a very sweaty odor to it and it happens about 10 minutes after he starts a deep sleep. He wears no night clothes and he will soak through the sheets and into the mattress so much so that the mattress can't dry out all the way during the day.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I am a 37 year old woman who experiences night sweats frequently. I awaken with drenched sheets and bed clothing. I am concerned about an early onset of menopause.

Comment from: shahar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My night sweats occur normally in the early hours of the morning and my body seems to be burning. I then immediately throw the covers off me and within a few minutes become very cold again. I then have an incredible hunger for something sweet, and then an incredible thirst. Then the sweats carrying on and off for a few more hours.

Comment from: lgw, 65-74 Male Published: March 31

I am in year three of a kidney transplant, and all is very good. However during the last year I wake up with the sheets quite wet from sweat. Arm pits will be dripping. I sleep natural with sheets and a light blanket. No other problems. May be from pro Graff or CellCept.

Comment from: Babette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I wake up in the night, and I am sweaty from about the hips down. My legs are drenched and dripping. I doesn't take long to dry, and there is no smell of sweat.

Comment from: J, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I only sweat at night and only when I fall asleep. It is a lot of sweat; I have to change my pjs two times a night and change the linens in my bed every day. I am a male, and this has happening for the pass six to seven years.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I am 26. After having a miscarriage, when I have my monthly period I usually wake up soaking wet (the sheets and my shirt) in the morning. This usually lasts two to three nights in a row during my period. My hormone levels have been tested and all came back normal.

Comment from: Edward, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

Sweat drenches my nightwear from the waist downwards like I have urinated on myself.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter