Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Diabetic Neuropathy Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Diabetic neuropathy is serious. Take this quiz to get the facts....
Nerve Pain: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment Options
Learn about nerve pain symptoms, causes, and treatment options. Discover medications, treatments, and natural remedies that can...
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Improve Diabetes Nerve Pain
Read about diabetic peripheral neuropathy and exercises to manage nerve pain. Learn how to cope with the symptoms of diabetic...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Related Disease Conditions
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, and Treatment)
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...
Shingles, or herpes zoster, is a painful rash caused by the varicella zoster virus. Other shingles symptoms include headache,...
Bursitis of the hip results when the fluid-filled sac (bursa) near the hip becomes inflamed due to localized soft tissue trauma...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Infectious mononucleosis is a virus infection in which there is an increase of white blood cells that are mononuclear (with a...
Genetic Disease (List, Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis)
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Peripheral Neuropathy (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment Medications)
Peripheral neuropathy is a problem with the functioning of the nerves outside of the spinal cord. Symptoms may include numbness,...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy
Multiple sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disorder in which brain and spinal cord nerve cells become demyelinated. This damage...
Occipital Neuralgia (Headache)
Occipital neuralgia is a type of headache that involves inflammation or irritation of occipital nerves. Signs and symptoms...
Vasculitis (Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Types)
Vasculitis (arteritis, angiitis) is a general term for a group of uncommon diseases which feature inflammation of the blood...
Chewing Tobacco (Smokeless Tobacco, Snuff)
Chewing tobacco (snuff or smokeless tobacco) has more nicotine absorbed into the system than by smoking a cigarette. Chewing...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Lyme disease is a bacterial illness, which is spread by ticks when they bite the skin. Initially the disease affects the skin...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Pain that originates in the face is referred to as trigeminal neuralgia. This pain may be caused by: an injury, an infection...
Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Problems) Paralysis Causes and Treatments
Bell's palsy is one type of facial nerve paralysis. The 7th cranial nerve controls the muscles of the face, and although...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Diabetic Neuropathy (Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment)
Diabetic neuropathy a condition in which nerve damage has occurred as a complication of diabetes. The pain from the nerve...
Medical Marijuana (Medical Cannabis)
Medical marijuana (medical cannabis) is a medicine that is plant based. There are two species of medical marijuana; 1) Cannabis...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
Lumbar stenosis can be caused by degenerative arthritis (the most common cause), tumor, infection, or metabolic disorders...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow and how abnormal they look under a...
Thallium is a metal that can be found in small amounts in the soil. When thallium enters the environment through coal-burning or...
Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis
Granulomatosis with polyangiitis is a condition that usually affects young or middle-aged adults, is an inflammation of the...
Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
Complex regional pain syndrome is a chronic pain condition in which high levels of nerve impulses are sent to an affected site is...
Local ResourcesFind a local Neurologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise, Horizant, Fanatrex FusePag) Side Effects, Dosage, and Abuse
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- citalopram, Celexa
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- Lyrica vs. Gabapentin: Differences between Pain Relief and Uses
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- Cymbalta (duloxetine) vs. Effexor (XR, venlafaxine) Differences in Uses, Dose, and Withdrawal
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- Lexapro vs. Wellbutrin: Differences between Side Effects and Uses
- Cymbalta vs. Wellbutrin Comparison
- lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR
- lidocaine and prilocaine (DermacinRx, Prizopak, EMLA, Leva Set, Lidopril, Livixil Pak, LP Lite Pak)
- phenytoin, Dilantin, Dilantin Infatabs, Phenytek, Phenytoin Infatabs
- Celexa vs. Cymbalta (Comparison of Differences and Similarities)
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- desipramine, Norpramin
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- butorphanol (Stadol)
- daclizumab (Zinbryta)
Prevention & Wellness
- Chronic Pain May Drive Some to Suicide
- Health Tip: Recognize a Foot Neuroma
- Pain, Epilepsy Drug Lyrica May Increase Birth Defects Risk, Study Suggests
- Antidepressant Lessens Chemo-Related Pain
- Patients Often Kept in Dark About 'Off-Label' Drug Use: Study
- Exercise Appears to Ease Nerve-Damage Pain in Rat Study
- Cell Transplant Tested as Treatment for Nerve Pain in Mice
- Marijuana Relieves Chronic Pain, Research Shows
- Medical Marijuana Has Merit, Research Shows
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter