How to treat nausea and vomiting
If you experience nausea, you can control it by the following methods:
- Drink clear or ice-cold drinks
- Avoid brushing your teeth after eating
- Eat light, bland foods such as crackers or plain bread (BRAT food)
- Do not mix hot and cold foods
- Avoid fried, greasy, or sweet foods
- Eat slowly, smaller, more frequent meals
- Drink beverages slowly
- Avoid activity after eating
- Avoid milk products for the first 24-48 hours
- Choose foods from all the food groups to get essential nutrients
- Divert yourself with soft music, TV program, or by talking with someone
- Avoid low-fat foods
If you experience vomiting, you can control it by the following methods:
- Temporarily discontinuing medications that may irritate the stomach and make vomiting worse
- Avoiding solid food until the vomiting episode has passed
- Drinking a large amount of clear water, sip by sip
There are many over-the-counter medications or prescription medications to treat vomiting. Vomiting linked with surgery, radiation therapy, anticancer drugs, alcohol, and morphine needs another type of drug therapy for its treatment.
Medications commonly used to treat nausea and vomiting (antiemetic) includes:
How to prevent nausea and vomiting
Prevention methods for nausea include:
- Eating slowly
- Avoiding hard-to-digest foods
- Eating small meals throughout the day instead of three large meals
- Consuming foods at room temperature
- Avoiding obnoxious odors that would instigate nausea
- Drinking water between the meals rather than during the meals
- Drinking at least six- to eight-ounce glasses of water a day
- Avoiding stuffing yourself and trying to eat less when you feel nauseated
- Resting with your head elevated 12 inches above your feet after having a meal
- Avoiding skipping meals or snacks
- Using butter, oils, syrups, sauces, and milk in foods to increase calories
Prevention methods of vomiting include:
- Consuming small amounts of clear, sweetened liquids, such as fruit juices or soda pop
- Avoiding orange or grapefruit juices because they are extremely acidic
- Resting either in a sitting or proper sleeping position
- Avoiding allowing kids to eat and play at the same time
You should consume certain foods and avoid certain foods while feeling nauseated, which is shown in the food chart.
Type of foods
Foods to eat
Foods to avoid
Bread, cereals, rice, and pasta
Fruits and vegetables
Drinks, desserts, and other foods
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Nausea and Vomiting and How to Treat It Related Articles
How Can I Stop Vomiting During Pregnancy?Nausea and vomiting happen during pregnancy and are called morning sickness. Stop vomiting during pregnancy by using ginger, acupressure wristbands, diet management, lifestyle management, vitamin B6 and doxylamine and by managing triggers.
How Do You Know if You Have the Stomach Flu?What is stomach flu and how do you know when you have it? Learn what causes stomach flu and how it is treated.
Nausea and Vomiting
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms of many conditions. There are numerous cases of nausea and vomiting. Some causes may not require medical treatment, for example, motion sickness, and other causes may require medical treatment by a doctor, for example, heart attack, lung infections, bronchitis, and pneumonia.
Some causes of nausea and vomiting may be life-threatening, for example, heart attack, abdominal obstruction, and cancers.
Treatment of nausea and vomiting depends upon the cause.
How to Get Rid of Nausea and VomitingWhat is nausea? Do you want to know how to get rid of nausea and how to stop vomiting? Learn home remedies for nausea, anti-nausea medication, what causes nausea, and other info crucial to nausea relief. Understand why we vomit, how vomiting can be treated or prevented, and more.
Obizur antihemophilic factor (recombinant), porcine sequenceObizur [antihemophilic factor (recombinant), porcine sequence] is a recombinant DNA derived, antihemophilic factor indicated for the treatment of bleeding episodes in adults with acquired hemophilia A. Common side effects of Obizur include development of inhibitors to porcine factor VIII, flushing of the face, headache, nausea, fast heartbeat, and injection site reactions (burning, redness, or irritation), fever, and chills.
Tummy Trouble QuizTummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other gastrointestinal discomforts and problems. Take the Tummy Troubles Quiz!
What Is Weber-Christian Disease?Weber-Christian disease is a rare inflammatory disease that affects the body's fat tissues. The disorder appears on the skin as red or purple tender, raised lumps usually on the thighs and lower legs. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, weight loss, joint pain, and abdominal pain. There is no cure for the disease, but anti-inflammatory medications may help with inflammation.
What Are the Signs of a Blocked Bowel?What is a blocked bowel, and how do you fix it? Learn the signs, what causes a blockage, how it is diagnosed, and how it is treated.
What Causes Nausea for No Reason?Nausea is a sensation of an urge to vomit. It may or may not accompany vomiting. Nausea is not a condition in itself but mainly a symptom of underlying medical conditions.
When Should I Be Concerned About My Sick Baby?There are several serious symptoms like fever and vomiting, you should never ignore in your baby. Although there may be no cause for alarm, it is better to be on the lookout.
Why Do Hippies Smell Like Patchouli?Patchouli oil has been in use for thousands of years, but it gained tremendous popularity because of its use by the hippies in the 1960s. Experts suggest that regular use of patchouli oil by hippies is because of the raw, earthy and natural nature of this oil. Hippies preferred using products that were not artificially manufactured and were cruelty free.
Why Does Vomiting Occur? Tips and Remedies To Stop ItVomiting is an essential response your body has to poisons and toxins. Stop yourself from vomiting by washing your hands regularly, throwing out old food, and taking preventive medication to avoid seasickness and migraines.