Patient Comments: Narcissistic Personality Disorder - Symptoms

Do you know someone with narcissistic personality disorder? What are his/her symptoms? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Trinity, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

My son's father has narcissistic personality disorder. He was never wrong. In any argument or fight, even when I would confront him with facts about his wrongdoing, he would somehow turn it around so that I was the one to blame. Since I suffer with borderline personality disorder, it took me a long time to realize that I wasn't the one to blame and that he needed to step up and accept responsibility for his own mistakes. He also had this twisted idea that I was supposed to serve him in all aspects because that's what the bible says. Because my faith is very important to me, it would hurt me deeply when he would belittle my own spirituality because his was supposedly so much more mature because he could recite scripture to me. He belittled me almost all the time, with only a few moments of caring and admiration to keep me from leaving him. He was also extremely paranoid! Although I'm not sure if that was him or just his drug addiction to blame. He would berate and accuse me constantly of cheating on him, though I never once did nor did I ever give him reason to think I had. It got so bad that he made me delete half of my friends off Facebook and in my phonebook because he 'knew' there was something going on between me and them. He even accused me of wanting to sleep with my sister in law! Throughout all of the emotional abuse and mental anguish he put me through though, I don't harbor any hard feelings for him because I recognize that he, just like me, suffers from a personality disorder that we can't always control. The only difference is that I was mature enough to accept my diagnosis and seek treatment. I fear he will never get to that point because he simply cannot accept that he has a problem. Still, I hope maybe one day he will come around. For now though, I just feel sorry for him but know that I am better off keeping him at a distance for the emotional and mental wellbeing of myself and my son.

Comment from: Monica, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 24

Yes, most certainly, without a doubt. My ex to be has narcissistic personality disorder. After 40 years of marriage, it's over. I have filed for a divorce. He's able to block anything out and carry on as though nothing has happened and sleep at night. Many times I've asked him how he does it and live with it without flinching. Now I know. I'm the second wife and he won't let go. He's obsessed with money, he loves money. Totally focused on business. Tunnel vision of reality. Sees only his way or no way. Hires people that he can solely control and undermine. Highly opinionated, and prejudiced of all ethnic races other than Caucasian. Threads smoothly around people who don't know him. Very charismatic and alluring. Able to manipulate very successfully with or without money as a tool. Highly organized in his field only. Could have the greatest heart of love, but can shut down just as quickly. Will only socialize with the upper class for financial gain. Willing to jeopardize others so he looks better than the other. Very sad. He never took time off from work, never. No holidays. Very much like his father who was very abusive. He is waiting for me to make the divorce proceedings so he can look good for the family; not the bad person. How I kept my sanity, I don't know. No more.

Comment from: Weary, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 10

My daughter has angry outbursts, she will say anything and everything to try and hurt you when she argues, has a me-me-me attitude, and she's obsessed with her beauty. She has no respect for anyone of authority, feels she is never wrong, unapologetic, obsessed with marrying the perfect husband, and obsessed with being associated with celebrities or money\finances. She thinks that everyone is here to be her servant, and speaks to people very condescendingly. She goes from one end of the spectrum to the other in less than 2 seconds; no middle ground for her, refers to people as peasants, doesn't like to be told no, lies all the time and extremely well.

Comment from: Phil, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 09

My wife has progressively increased in narcissistic behavior. She needs more attention, she is snapping, lying, changing her mind about things, has to have things her way, and very controlling and gets angry when it doesn't go her way, and verbally abusive.

Comment from: Bella, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 03

My partner of 12 years has narcissistic personality disorder (NPD), living with him has been an absolute nightmare, he is very abusive, controlling, ticks all the boxes really, a tyrannical name calling bully. I have walked on eggshells for most of those years and only recently made the decision to leave as I just can't help him; whatever I do is wrong, I am just stupid apparently. He has serious depression and sometimes will not speak to me for days, he puts on a normal front to others. Sad of course is the pain and unhappiness he lives with every day, I just wish there was more help for this disorder in New Zealand where we live but it's very difficult to even get a professional to talk about personality disorders, they just don't want to know.

Comment from: Parveen, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 08

Yes. My husband has been diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder, people. After 32 years of marriage now we understood he was suffering from which disorder. It is so severe that he would not hear anything else.

Comment from: Christin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have bipolar disorder, and I have anxiety and depression.

Comment from: fitchikomba, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 27

The father of my son who is 9 is narcissistic and he denies being so. I just don't want my son to be the person his father turned out to be emotionally. But I can tell by my son's behavior that he is heading in that direction. I need to know what I can do or say to help my son be a better person than his father.

Comment from: bella, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

I need to have others. I am searching for some understanding in this scary life. We are a voice in the dark only because we keep trying to understand what we are living with. This is my 1st time looking for answers for narcissistic personality disorder. Not about not caring, walking through life, I see many similarities about these individuals; detachment, even though they have a solid person here. I am worried about scary anger issues that don't reflect normal day to day problems. More stress equals more scary stuff. I am worn out and real scared. Violence is showing and no provocation.

Comment from: Droopi, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 03

I always heard friends and family ask or state he always thought he was better than everyone else. I fell in love with how he made me feel and the times we spent together. Then within a year or so, I began to question why the change in our relationship. We were no longer going out, he was always tired, yet work schedule slowed down; he is a workaholic. I had always heard the term Narcissus, knew a little about traits, but had never been around someone who fit the mold. He seems to not hear what I say about how I feel nor when I present emotion does he seem affected. I have tried to break free of him however he won't stay away, yet will not change; he has even have started new relationships with other women. He says he doesn't want me out his life, but I can't be a part of his when he's hurt me so deeply and doesn't seem to care or is he incapable of caring!

Comment from: Shaz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

My narcissistic mother has treated me badly from the day I was born. No baby photos of me at all, just kindergarten photos onwards. My dad wanted a daughter and so he adored me and from the day I was born I became the target for my mother. Now I am 50 and my dad is dead and my mother is in her 70s and lives nearby me rather than living near my brother and sister and is still the same narcissistic person so I feel that I can't get away from her.

Comment from: Ann A., 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 11

My narcissist is always drunk. He is always blaming others for his failure. He always makes up stories of what the other person said or did to get his own way so people believe him.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter