Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a dramatic personality disorder that is characterized by a distorted self-image, preoccupation with success and power, and an abnormal love of self, which mask insecurity and a fragile self-esteem. Other symptoms include constantly seeking attention and admiration, setting unrealistic goals, exaggerating talents, self-centeredness, arrogant behavior, and an inability to recognize others' feelings. Though there is no known treatment for NPD, psychotherapy may be of some help. Read more: Narcissistic Personality Disorder Article
Related Disease Conditions
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) has many symptoms, signs, and causes. Therapy is one treatment option for antisocial...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Mental illness is any disease or condition affecting the brain that influence the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, and/or...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Narcissists Not Fond of Democracy: Study
- Yet Another Selfie? You Might Be a Narcissist
- Will a Narcissist Steal Your Sweetheart Just for Kicks?
- Overindulgent Parents May Breed Narcissistic Children
- Study: Men Are the Narcissists of the Species
- Does He Post a Lot of 'Selfies'? He Might Be a Narcissist
- Need to Spot a Narcissist? Just Ask Them
- In Dating Game, Narcissists Get the Girl
- Narcissists Often Ace Job Interviews, Study Finds
- Narcissism Especially Bad for Men's Health, Study Says
- Narcissistic Men Typically Direct Their Rage at Straight Women