GENERIC NAME: NALIDIXIC ACID - ORAL (nal-ih-DIX-ick acid)
BRAND NAME(S): Neggram
HOW TO USE: This medication works best if taken on an empty stomach one hour before or two hours after meals. Take each dose with a full glass of water. If stomach upset occurs take with food or milk. Take this medication 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking any medications containing magnesium, aluminum, or calcium. Some examples include quinapril, certain forms of didanosine (chewable/dispersible buffered tablets or pediatric oral solution), vitamins/minerals, and antacids. Sucralfate, bismuth subsalicylate, iron, and zinc are also included. These medications bind with nalidixic acid preventing its full absorption. Antibiotics work best when the amount of medicine in your body is kept at a constant level. Do this by taking the medication at evenly spaced intervals throughout the day and night. Continue to take this medication until the full prescribed amount is finished even if symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping the medication too early may allow bacteria to continue to grow resulting in a relapse of the infection. It is recommended to drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication unless your doctor directs you otherwise.
SIDE EFFECTS: This medication may cause stomach upset, loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea, headache, drowsiness, or dizziness during the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication. If these symptoms persist or become severe, inform your doctor. Notify your doctor if you develop: restlessness, vision changes, mental/mood changes, ringing in the ears, seizures. In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, fever, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
PRECAUTIONS: Tell your doctor if you have: kidney problems, liver disease, seizure disorder, nervous system disorder, blood vessel disease, any allergies. Use caution driving or performing tasks requiring alertness if this medication makes you drowsy, dizzy, or lightheaded. Limit alcohol intake. Because this medication may make you more sensitive to the sun, avoid prolonged sun exposure. Wear protective clothing and use a sunscreen when outdoors. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this drug. This drug is excreted into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: Tell your doctor of all the medications you may use, both prescription and nonprescription, especially of: warfarin, certain live vaccines, nitrofurantoin, quinapril, didanosine, vitamins/minerals (e.g., magnesium, aluminum, calcium, iron, zinc), antacids, sucralfate, bismuth subsalicylate. Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.
OVERDOSE: If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call the US national poison hotline at 1-800-222-1222. Canadian residents should call their local poison control center directly. Symptoms of overdose may include seizures, vomiting, nausea, and unusual sluggishness.
NOTES: This medication has been prescribed for your current condition only. Do not use it later for another infection or give it to someone else. A different medication may be needed in those cases. Nalidixic acid can cause false results in some diabetic urine testing products (cupric sulfate-type). Consult your doctor or pharmacist for recommendations.
MISSED DOSE: If you miss a dose, take as soon as remembered; do not take if it is almost time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not "double-up" the dose to catch up.
STORAGE: Store at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture. If your doctor tells you to stop taking nalidixic acid, throw away any unused medication. Nalidixic acid loses effectiveness over time and should not be saved to treat another infection.
Related Disease Conditions
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the bladder, kidneys, ureters, or urethra. E. coli, a type of bacteria that lives in the bowel and near the anus, causes most UTIs. UTI symptoms include pain, abdominal pain, mild fever, urinary urgency and frequency. Treatment involves a course of antibiotics.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
Latest MedicineNet News
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.