Patient Comments: Myxedema Coma - Causes and Triggers

What was the cause or trigger of a myxedema coma in someone you know? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sherborn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

My myxedema was brought on by non-diagnosed hypothyroidism. I had every symptom except hair loss, yet the doctor missed it. I was so out of it, I didn't know that I was gaining more than a pound a day, my legs felt like I had shin splints, I couldn't lift my arms over my head, and I had to work to breathe. It would have been so easy to just let go and stop breathing. I had total cookie dough skin and moon face, and didn't even know it. By the time I made it to the emergency room, my veins where collapsing, and my thyroid levels were the highest they had ever seen in anyone still alive. I was oblivious. I remember being told that I would have been dead within 48 hours if I hadn't gotten help.

Comment from: shaji, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 22

The myxedema coma was a postoperative case of hypothyroidism.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter