Patient Comments: Myocarditis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of myocarditis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bonnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I injured my hamstring 4 weeks ago. I was walking away from my horse while holding my saddle in front of me and tripped over a mounting block. I tried to catch my fall and extended my right leg out to the left and felt a pop and excruciating pain. I went to the doctor and got a steroid shot, with instructions to use ice and then heat. It is hard for me to rest except at bedtime. I do Yoga once a week and this seemed to be helping. However, I slipped the other night in my kitchen and aggravated the previous injury. I feel like I'm starting over with the healing process. I can usually tolerate pain but this pain is horrible. I decided to do some research and came to this website. This information was very helpful.

Comment from: zanele, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 29

My ten month old daughter had flu all winter then just for a couple of days she experienced shortness of breath, vomiting, loss of appetite, and was screaming nonstop. That's when I stopped going to the clinic and went to a big hospital where she was diagnosed with myocarditis and spent two weeks in the ward and a week in ICU. Now she is taking medicines to prevent the heart from getting tired and keep pumping and she seems okay.

Comment from: kristine254, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I felt a pop in my calf. I went to the doctor and was told that I ruptured my gastrocnemius tendon in my right calf. They said apply ice or heat whichever feels better, take Tylenol and that it will just take time to heal, 2-3 week usually.

Comment from: Cgarz10, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I was 19 years old, all of a sudden I woke up one night with chest pressure and I couldn"t take deep breaths. I went to the hospital and they told me I had indigestion. They sent me home and I went back 3 times before they finally found enzymes in my blood. I spent the week in the hospital diagnosed with myocarditis. Fortunately I made a full recovery until a year and a half later, I noticed the same symptoms. Again I went to the hospital and got sent home 3 times until they found enzymes again. I had myocarditis again. They never found out what caused it. The last time it affected my heart rate (it wouldn"t increase with exercise) so I had a pacemaker in. That was a year ago. Now I"ve been working out again, getting back into shape, and I noticed chest pressure after a workout 2 weeks ago. So I"ve been resting. That"s when I started getting really stressed, depressed, and getting anxiety attacks. My doctor says I have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), I live in constant fear that I"m going to have a heart problem again. But 2 nights ago I woke up from a terrible sharp chest pain, one of the worst I"ve ever had. I was petrified. I took Xanax .25mg to calm down and I was eventually able to fall back asleep. The whole next day my chest was in pain, so I went to the hospital and they found nothing. It doesn"t feel like the same pain as myocarditis. I don't know what it could be, maybe I hurt some muscle. It is possibly stress but unlikely.

Comment from: Barch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I"m a 50 year old woman in good health other than being hypertensive and in the throes of menopause. When I get a hot flash my heart beats rapidly (sinus tachycardia), I get very anxious, feels like a panic attack, and I sweat buckets. Five days ago while I was home alone I had what I thought was a hot flash but I didn"t feel as anxious as usual and I was getting stabbing pains in my heart and my heart felt fluttery. In about 5 minutes most of the other symptoms subsided somewhat except the chest pains and a new symptom - extreme fatigue. About an hour later my heart began racing again and hurting more. The pains were shooting down my arms and I was feeling lightheaded. I couldn"t concentrate on anything and my head hurt. I tried to stand up but fell back on the couch. I couldn"t catch my breath. The next day I went to the doctor and he took 4 vials of blood and did an ECG. He said I have 2T waves (I have no idea what that is) and that I have symptoms associated with myocarditis. The only way to confirm this is with a heart biopsy and that was not going to happen. The next day the doctor himself called and told me that my CPK levels were very high and the myocarditis was caused by Coxsackie virus. He said it"s possible to have a heart attack and drop dead and he then told me that the hospital was expecting me. I"m told him that I was not going to lose my house over hospital bills and that I would be fine at home and I have help. So he reluctantly called in some prescriptions for me and told me to stay in bed for at least the next 10 days for 21 out of 24 hours and to not be up for more than a half hour at a time. Staying in bed has been pretty easy for now because I"m so tired. But it"s only been 5 days. Anyway, all you beautiful menopausal women out there, do not confuse menopausal symptoms with heart problems. You know your own body better than anyone. If your symptoms feel off or you"ve got a new one, go to your doctor!

Comment from: mimimia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am 49 years old but had myocarditis when I was 9 years old. I had a nose bleed that would not stop one evening. And I soaked a bath towel by the time I got to the emergency room. They kept me overnight but I ended up staying about a week. My family had to set up a bed for me on the first floor and I was out of school for several weeks. Then I was restricted from running, jumping, skipping etc., for months. In my early 30s I was told I had mitral valve prolapse. But then 12 years later after another test they said I did not have MVP. I've since wondered if I sustained permanent damage to my heart. Maybe a visit to a cardiologist is due. Considering this happened 40 years ago I feel very grateful to have not had any further problems.

Comment from: karalynhines, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My son died on September 8 2013 and he was six months old. He never had even a runny nose before he died, always slept through the night. The doctors never saw anything wrong with him. He was a very big healthy boy but they did not see what was going on inside. I went to check on him in the morning and found him dead. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to see. They thought it was SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), didn"t know what happened until they dug deeper on the autopsy and found out it was myocarditis. It's hard to hear what that is because I still blame myself for not knowing that something was wrong. I do not know if it will happen again because it could be inherited and my aunt died at 5 weeks from myocarditis. I'm so scared and I'm expecting; I can"t go through this again.

Comment from: Stephanie420, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was 29 years old and now 30. When I got real sick. I thought it was the flu I had for few days, I pushed myself to go into work cause I couldn't miss any more days, and thought if I made it through one more day I could baby myself to get better the next day which I had off. The next day I layed around I didn't vomit or anything just real weak and around 8:30 I said to my husband I think something is wrong I think I'm having a heart attack, my left arm went limp and I had bad pains in my chest. we tucked the kids into bed to make sure they wouldn't worry and he drove me to hospital and there I stayed for two weeks until I was better to leave, doctor said it was myocarditis, I've never even heard of that before and he said I was very lucky to be alive. I tried to ask what I could do not to have that happen again and he told me he didn't know where I had caught the virus from, but just to take it easy. I had worked at a prison then and few months later of course they gave me problems and was forced to resign. Boy did this take a turn in my life, but I am so thankful I'm still here today to watch my children grow.

Comment from: Elj, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 20

My son was 5weeks old when he had a cardiac arrest cause of myocarditis, he lucky enough survived. He is on medication now, consultants can't find out what caused this. I had prolonged membranes and he was admitted to special care when he was born, I feel this has a part in it. Just not knowing what caused my baby to nearly die is frustrating.

Comment from: Bianca, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed with myocarditis in December 2010, about a month after my 18th birthday. A few days prior to being rushed to the hospital I felt flu like symptoms. Then the morning of I couldn't stop throwing up and my body was weak, I was rushed to the hospital and the doctors didn't know what was wrong with me until I had an EKG. They saw that my heart wasn't functioning normally and there I was rushed to Tampa General Hospital where I was in ICU for 2 weeks. I had surgery where the surgeons put a tube next to my heart to drain the fluids. I was so scared but most of the time I was so heavily medicated I didn't know what was happening. The doctors truly saved my life! I've been taking Carvedilol every day since this day and I'm 100% back to full health.

Comment from: Nancy, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 19

My son (age 23) died from Myocarditis in June of this year (2011). His only symptoms were a little chest pain and shortness of breath about a month before he died, that he thought was anxiety from stress at work (labor negotiations). It eased shortly thereafter, so he didn't see a Doctor. Then a couple of days before he died, he started running a low grade temperature and was achy. He just thought it was the flu. He died in his sleep two days later. I have to wonder how long he had it - if he just had it for a month, or if he had it for months before it got bad enough to take his life. I seem to recall a rash on his hand that he thought was dermatitis (may have been viral), and that he coughed a lot after one virus he had, especially in the mornings - it seemed to hang on longer than it should have. That was quite a while before he passed away (like 6 months to a year before). I know he also said he tried to start running again (he had wanted to join the Police Academy), but that he got so winded he gave up (man, am I out of shape!). That was also about 6 months to a year before.

Comment from: nataliedenise13, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I'm an 18 year old girl just tuned 18 actually. I suffered from myocrarditis this weekend and had to stay at the hospital for 3 days. I was so scared. I woke up the morning it happened feeling fine went on a walk was laughing with my friends and out of nowhere I got a very bad chest pain at first I thought it was just heart burn but then I could not stop vomiting and was sweating profusely. I did not know what was going on. I was terrified I went to the hospital and they had to keep me over night the next morning they told me I would be transferred to Hollywood where there is a heart specialist. They did the cardiac cauterization on me my heart appeared healthy but my enzymes were very high. I'm too young for this I feel I've never been so scared in my life.

Comment from: Saro Rajagopal, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

Hi All, I lost my baby boy on the 13th of Dec 2013. He was just 14 months old and he died after being diagnosed with myocarditis. He had symptoms of vomiting three days before this lost. He suffered difficulties of breathing, as I rushed him to clinic specialist where the doctor referred him immediately to the hospital. He was in ICU for three days but helpless with IVIG antibody treatment. The doctors did the best. I was there with him for his last day of breathing. I feel sorry for my son's loss.

Comment from: Climber86, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm a 26 year old male just recently diagnosed with myocarditis. Talk about a game changer! I'm in the best shape of my life and it hit me. I had flu like symptoms, fatigue, achy body and fever and I got chest pains that radiated to my arm. I went to the ER and enzyme levels were elevated and my EKG was out of whack. After 3 days in ICU I left with normal EKG and during the whole time my BP was 110/70 and resting heart rate of 55.

Comment from: tumnbum, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I get radiating to the back and left side under the ribs. All of this seems to be taking place directly under the left breast. Sometimes feel pain in left lung area. I also have a gastric hernia waiting to be operated on.

Comment from: jans, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: January 07

I'm 30 years old. My daughter, two years of age, was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy but then after one month admitted in the hospital she was diagnosed with myocarditis. It was more than two months ago but until now she is taking medicines for it as maintenance. Every now and then I'm still scared. My child is too young to have this kind of disease. I can't imagine what I did when the doctor says bring your child to the nearest hospital or she has cardiac arrest. She's now doing fine but the doctor advice that she must not get too tired but how can a two years old child understands her condition.

Comment from: lucinda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I'm 34 years old and a mother of four children. In October 2011, I was diagnosed with Myocarditis. I ran two laps on a track on a Sunday, and by that night I was feeling feverish and my body was aching. I went to work the following Monday and went home after only a few hours. Later that night my fever had not gone down and my body aches got worse. I just thought that I had the flu. I woke up Tuesday morning with chest pain, and it hurt to breathe. I drove myself to the emergency room and they transferred me to another hospital to insert a cath. I was thinking I was having a heart attack! My enzyme levels were 25 times over the normal amount. The cardiologist viewed my heart and said it was not a heart attack. My heart rate would not go down, however, and it stayed at 160 to 170 beats per minute while I was laying down. A few days later the doctors tried some medicine to lower my heart rate ... which put me into cardiac arrest. They installed a temporary pacemaker for a few days, and then eventually took me off. I'm still seeing my cardiologist, and trying to get my life back to normal. I was a very active person before this ... it just came out of no where.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: July 21

I don't know if it is that, just that my blood pressure is really low and I have a pain in my chest that won't go away and I am really tired all the time. My heart feels like it wants to explode but nothing is found when I go to the hosp or doc.

Comment from: justin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

26 years old had smallpox shot 6 months ago. Constant pressure mostly in the center left part of chest. Ongoing twinges of pain. Diagnosed myocarditis. Has taken so much away from me. Gained about 40 lbs. Lost a lot.

Comment from: ooops, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I developed acute myocarditis secondary to a viral infection. I have been subsequently diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. I currently take ACE inhibitors, Dig, and a diuretic as well as a betablocker. To make matters worse due to the activity intolerance, I gained almost 100 pounds in less than a year and developed type 2 diabetes. We all know viral infections must run their course, but if it has not improved in 5-8 days see a doctor. My initial symptoms were shortness of breath, choking sensation when lying flat, pitting edema to lower legs and ankles/feet, decrease in urine output. The shortness of breath got worse and worse until I felt I was dying. That has been 8 years ago now and I am doing well, I work full time in the emergency dept of my local hospital 36 hours a week and do private duty 32 hours a week, this cardiomyopathy is manageable if you listen and pay attention to the physician's advice.

Comment from: mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

My systems are shortness of breath just walking a small amount pain in chest neck and back. This has been for three months now. Before then I cycled to work every day and enjoyed mountain walking and scrambling. I was a very fit person.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter