Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Treatments

What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: flower lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

Magnesium 500 mg/day keeps cramps from occurring. Muscle spasms used to happen while driving, in leg, toes, calf, and thigh to the point that I'd have to pull off road and walk around the car several times. They occurred in both legs at night for many years as my job required a lot of standing. I also purchased Hyland's leg cramp tablets at Walmart. They take cramps away if one should occur. It's rare now since I take magnesium regularly. It is called nature's tranquilizer.

Comment from: retired senior, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I became immune to 50 mg of nortriptyline after years. I take Lyrica now and it helps with the muscle spasms. The nortriptyline gave me too many cavities due to dry mouth. Biotene mouthwash only lasts an hour. I am also getting weaned off tizanidine 4 mg because of the dry mouth now. I have back issues and an MRI done but they honestly don't know if it is causing the spasms. No surgery was suggested. Physical therapy helps, but there are those spasms that will not release. Then I go to Urgent Care for an injection of Toradol for instant relief. I read posttraumatic incidents in life cause an abnormal flow of chemicals in the brain where certain chemicals leave the brain too fast and causes spasms.

Comment from: GBG, 45-54 Male Published: January 14

I was golfing and walking back to the cart, and stepped wrong on a tree root. My left foot curved over it and next thing I knew I heard a pop and was down in the mud. I broke my lateral malleolus in a clean horizontal break. This was December 26. I have another week to go before my next evaluation on January 20. My leg hasn't touched the floor since and my muscle tone is already gone. I scoot around the house on an office chair, and on crutches and a knee walker when out, but out doesn't happen often. I can drive but getting the crutches and scooter are difficult on my own. I broke my collar bone last year too and developed arthritis in it after it healed. I'm scared this will happen to my ankle causing pain and no more heels! Good luck to everyone who is dealing with a similar issue.

Comment from: Misery, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I came down with an earache in December. It was rather sudden. I thought my speaker went on my laptop, and I couldn't hear it. I got an earache in the left ear for a day, then sudden crackling and clear fluid tinged with blood came out; then pus. I went to urgent care the next day and they put me on azithromycin orally. Then the right eardrum perforated. After 4 days on the oral medication, I went to primary care. They did not think it was bacterial infection; rather viral, but put me on steroid/antibiotic drops twice daily. I have almost finished with drops, but cannot hear. It is difficult to drive, and my balance is impaired due to other sensory losses previous to this. I have ENT appointment on January 26. This is awful. I did have earache as a child and a perforation in my 20s but never bilateral!

Comment from: J9, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

Dill pickle juice has stopped severe muscle spasms that begin in my legs and spread quickly to all muscles in both legs. I drink about a fourth of a cup a week and have not suffered any for about two years now.

Comment from: Abimbola, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

I have cramps in my legs and hands most time. It gets much higher some days when I start my menses.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had muscle cramps in several areas for over 20 years. I have been using a tablespoon of mustard for years and it usually relieves the cramp in a few minutes. For cramps that persist longer, I take 3 or 4 pills of NuAge # 8 Mag Phos pills. They are available at health food stores. I had a very bad leg cramp this morning. I took a tablespoon of mustard and 5 minutes later 4 of the pills. In less than 5 minutes the cramp subsided. My husband is amazed at how fast this works.

Comment from: searching for relief, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I get spasms all the time and everywhere. My doctors are stumped, I"ve had all sorts of tests, the last to be a muscle biopsy in the area where the spasm occur the most. I have been given the muscle relaxers, which work but I can't take it when at work as it makes me sleepy. What I have found to work for me is Gatorade and Leg Cramps by Hyland's. It"s a temporary fix but it does help.

Comment from: Molly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) for 19 years and fibromyalgia for 10 years. Different medications from the doctor have made me seriously ill and did nothing for the severe muscle spasms which left me unable to even straighten up in the morning for 3 hours despite using a medical hot tub at home every day. After recent research I persuaded my general physician to give me 0.088mg of pramipexole (the lowest dose) which has stopped the muscle spasms particularly at night and I am able to get out of bed now without using a stick. The stiffness still remains and is made worse by a cold, damp climate. Dry warm weather abroad makes an amazing difference. Diazepam 5mg works wonders on the stiffness but my doctor refuses to give me 5 mg once a day on the grounds of possible addiction. Who cares at 68 years old if it makes life pain free and improves the quality of life!

Comment from: The Caregiver, Male (Caregiver) Published: February 26

I"ve been having really bad muscle spasms since I injured my back and neck in some auto accidents which were caused by the other drivers. I tried all of the most popular muscle relaxants but they either didn"t work and caused me side effects that I didn"t want or they"d just knock me out which I didn"t like. Then I read up on the diazepam and saw that they help with muscle spasms along with many other uses. So I asked my doctor if I could try the diazepam, so he put me on a 5mg dose twice a day as needed. That was in 1998 and I"m still taking 10mg a day as needed for the muscle spasms, anxiety and panic disorder, and occasional insomnia.

Comment from: WoJoe, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have fibromyalgia quite bad. I get restless leg syndrome and leg cramps whenever I am on my feet a lot. Moist heat is the only thing that helps. By the time you apply the moist heat it takes only 5 to 10 minutes for relief. I had them so bad the night before last that it still hurts in that area. I do not have a cure but relief from the pain at the onset helps tremendously. I am not only a patient but a caregiver for my son so I am under a lot of disadvantage for keeping the pains from occurring.

Comment from: mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I have been having trouble with my right hip and leg for almost two weeks.in the last our days it knotted up in the front of my hip and radiated down my thigh to my knee. I started drinking tons of water and taking vitamins, this did not help much but did get me started in the right direction. I did start hurting so bad one night that I puked from the pain, my wife had found an old prescription for Flexeril so I took that and three Tylenol and two aspirin. I ended up going to the hospital which they pretty much did nothing for me. They gave me some muscle relaxants and told me if I was not any better in 4 to 5 days to call my doctor. I was at the point of desperation and needing some sleep and relief. I still have the charley horse and pain and do not know what else to do except take the relaxants.

Comment from: Greyhound, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have severe pain under right scapula. I got three trigger point injections but did not work. I have heavy narcotics but not helping so far. They gave me Flexeril just now.

Comment from: Rosemary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have been diagnosed with Diabetes (approx 2 years ago, Emphysema (approx 15 years ago), Hypersensitive Pneumenitis (1 year ago). For approx 1 year I have experienced regular spasm around my ribcage and occasionally in my stomach. The pain is severe and can last for hours. Although I have discussed the spasms with my GP he has been unable to suggest treatment. Is there anyone out there who can advise on prevention or indeed methods of cutting down the severity or length of time of the spasms.

Comment from: DanaK, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am 29 years old. I have been wrongly diagnosed all of my adulthood. My body hurts constantly. Sometimes it hurts worse than I could ever imagine. I have a herniated disc at L5-S1. Doctors thought my pain will go away after having a radiofrequency ablation. (They burned six of my nerves in my back). After 5 weeks I found some results. I still had pains that would occur at night, horrible kinds. I went to five different doctors and they all said it was in my head and had no clue what to do, they sent me home with nothing but the intense pain. I don't know what to do. I have about 30 different things that I am diagnosed with at this time. It is really hard to divide my symptoms.

Comment from: Physical Medicine, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 13

Physical therapy, daily exercise, good posture, muscular relaxants, avoid stressful situations, don't take your work to home. if you have any quarrel just turn around. Watch funny or non stressful movies or TV programs. Avoid coffee or caffeine products, kisses and hugs to friends, family helps.

Comment from: Robbie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I went off of gluten. When I am paying attention and don't eat gluten I have few to no muscle spasms and twitches. When I eat something like breaded chicken or a piece of pie, I have terrible spasms and twitches. It shocks me that I accidently eat gluten, when it causes a painful reaction so quickly.

Comment from: Barbarita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I've been taking furosemide every few days, which causes incredible spasms in my calves and feet, along with spasms in my back and ribs. After trying many things, the medication that really helps me, is Baclofen 10 mg, twice daily.

Comment from: Lindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have been having muscle spasms on the right side of my back for about 5 years, due to a scoliosis that has been gradually got worse. Hence the muscle spasms are also getting worse. I have seem a rheumatologist because I also have arthritis in my spine, hands, knees and shoulders. I have been taking Cymbalta for pain, but it also helps my moods (good thing) and I take Targin and Valium for the pain and muscle spasms. I don't like taking such strong medication and have asked my Rheumatologist to find out about getting Botox injections in the large back muscle. Has anyone had this treatment and if so, how did it work?

Comment from: tskar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have been having muscle spasms in my neck and lower back since last Easter so my doctor sent me to a pain relief center which gave me a lots of pain medication and ended up in the ICU with a dissected artery in August. I went without any spasms and pain. After my artery was coiled off for couple of months now the spasms are back and I keep being sent to different doctors. I might have to learn how to live with the pain.

Comment from: mike, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I drink one glass of tonic water for my muscle spasms. Quinine really works for me – I hope other have good luck with it and also start to feel better.

Comment from: rosalie1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had muscle spasms for years and almost lived off of pain killers and muscle relaxers. About 5 years ago, I started to get regular deep tissue massages. When I say regular, I started out about twice a week. I am now down to every other week and the results have been great. I am not taking medicine and feel much better and more relaxed.

Comment from: Spasm dot com, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

10 mg of valium works wonders for people who suffer from muscle spasms. Because nerves are involved, it stands to reason that relaxing them with valium will relax the nervous system, thus relieving the pain and spasm. I've been using them for years and they work well. Most, if not all, doctors know this, but do not like to prescribe habit forming drugs. If not get a new doctor that will.

Comment from: dairose, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I have severe muscle spasms in my both calves. They look like something moving under my skin, then the whole calve muscle splits in two and my legs look they are being broken. It then travels to my feet, and now my arms and shoulders, I have seen at least 8 gas and specialists with no answers. Please help. It's quite unbearable, I can no longer drive and have had to retire early.

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 46 years and recently I am having pain in my upper back the doctor said that it is muscle spasms it is very painful expecially at nights.

Published: July 05

I had severe spasms and pain in my thighs and legs that were literally debilitating. I began taking 1 teaspoon vinegar with 1 teaspoon honey in warm water first thing in the morning. Within 3 days I had no spasms for the first time in more than 5 years. They had begun gradually and increased to the point that I could not sleep at night and occurred during the day as well. I had tried potassium supplements, bananas and magnesium and it did not work.

Comment from: Joey, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

To treat my muscle spasms I take 3 Potassium and 3 Magnesium tablets a day and drink 2-3 bottles of Gatorade.

Comment from: lea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

To treat my muscle spasms I drink water, eat food with potassium, magnesium, mainly water...I also reduce caffeine. Especially if you have a cold, eat liquids like chicken soup and healthy juices with extra water.

Comment from: cmcnaul, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

When I get an upper respiratory infection, I often get laryngeal muscle spasms. I have bronchial asthma by the way; so URI's tend to get a little too scary for me. It creates a sense of panic, and with a "chest cold" like that, then have a coughing fit further inflames my throat. (In years past, I'd tell my doctor that the tightness is in my voice box). Three times in the past several years, I've had such a spasm that required a doctor's intervention. However, like in the ER visit, they kept listening for asthma, and not paying attention my telling them it's in my throat not my chest! That time when I had this spasm, it took a couple hours for the swelling to go down. They gave me one of those breathing treatments and that helped enough where they would release me from the hospital. Now, I know what the darn episode is called, hopefully I won't stump the doctors in the future. Doctors just don't listen to what patients tell them. Now with the bronchial asthma, I use albuterol, but every time I get this, I always develop a lot of mucous in my voice box at the same time. Which still stumps the doctors. It's usually set off by an allergen of some kind.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am a 54 year old woman that has had severe muscle spasms constantly for about a year in my rib cage sometimes going into the back of my ribs, also I have them at night in my feet and ankles. I asked my family doctor about it, my potassium is good, no answer. I go to a pain specialist for injections for other health issues, I told him, he put me on Zanaflex. I have never heard of this drug, but it does work just take them as directed.

Comment from: ymisosilly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

After suffering from severe muscle spasms in my right shoulder (scapula) for 19 months, I was finally able to receive Botox injections. The injections have stopped the spasms, but it's still really painful to lift my arm.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter