Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: faw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

The spasm in my right lower back, just below the rib cage, is similar to the feeling of having a TENS unit attached to the area. It is not especially painful, just disconcerting.

Comment from: Nes, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

I have the worst lower back spasm on my right side, it is like a brick. I am on my feet all day at work, and I just missed 3 days of work. It affects my work, my sleep, and my life when it gets so painful. I'm in pain as I'm typing this. I have had physical therapy, and muscle relaxers.

Comment from: jwalker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I experience spasms that make the muscles contract, but also make my arms, legs, and back twitch and jerk, then cramps start in. The pain is so intense, because the cramps don't want to allow me to get up to soothe either of the two. I'm just stuck there in pain till it goes away. It often lasts for several minutes, but sometimes lasts much longer. I've been to several doctors each with a different diagnosis, one said myelopathy, another said maybe ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), and now another has said she's not sure what it could possibly be. I'm just stuck until I go to pain clinic to see another neurologist and find out what they say. If you are suffering like me don't stop looking for the right diagnosis!

Comment from: Cathy Uttke, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had for 3 weeks now, severe spastic nerve pain in the upper thigh, and down in my calf area, so painful I have to get up out of bed and try to massage my pain. It doesn't work all the time. I do a lot of walking, not fast, but the pain makes me jolt. I am very concerned about it. I did have Legge-Calve-Perthes disease, but the pains happen in both legs.

Comment from: stcooper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have fibromyalgia and I feel I have chronic fatigue syndrome. My muscle spasms are in my calves and thighs. Doctors do not understand the intensity. I scream and cry. They last approximately 1 hour. It only happens after I go to bed and put my feet up. It takes approximately 45 minutes for it to start. It happens about once a week now. The only thing that helps is a heating pad and some hot wet wash clothes. You can see the knots and twisting of the ankles and knees.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I'm in constant pain because I have cervical dystonia, and lumbar facet joint deterioration. The muscles in my spinal column have weakened because of long use of opioids and now my balance is worse and I am having really bad muscle spasms from my neck to feet, and it is getting worse every.

Comment from: BC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I have muscle spasms in toes and feet, I also have them in the intestine in upper diaphragm under the heart! It is very painful, but it doesn't happen a lot. I've had so many tests and found nothing. Irritable bowel syndrome is what is listed if they can't figure out what it is going on. I still have to live with my symptoms. I do take probiotics.

Comment from: MOFIG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I am trying to find out what is causing my lower back to hurt. Sometimes if feels like I am pulling a tendon from my ankle to my lower back. I get to where I can't walk or lie straight on a bed. If I do it's so hard to roll over I have to grab the mattress and pull myself over. It is so hard to get out of bed. Lately I have been having to sleep in my recliner. It does not hurt as bad. My lower back and legs hurt badly sometimes when I am walking.

Comment from: chuck25669, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have muscle spasms in chest, arm and neck.

Comment from: Patty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

Two weeks ago my lower back had bad muscle spasm-when I got up or sat down on the chair and also lay on bed, my back had spasm when I moved in bed. It was really hurting when I moved. Now it gets better every day. Other symptom were, last week I reached down the washing machine to pick some lint and my rib popped. Two days later, my rib has muscle spasm and hurts. It gets better every day but my rib still is sore.

Comment from: Judith, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My doctor tells me that I am suffering from knee spasms. Sometimes, when squatting to weed the garden or clean the floor, I suddenly get an intense pain in my knee which makes me scream for about 2 seconds; then I manage to move my knee slightly, and the pain disappears. No pain, no stiffness, no inflammation, nothing; until the next time. It seems to be happening in the outer edge of my knee where 2 hard structures meet (ligaments?). It feels to me as though something is dislocated for a couple of seconds.

Comment from: Misery, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

Since I was a child bending over has caused spasms in my abdominal and intercostal muscles. The condition has worsened and now almost every muscle in my body will almost simultaneously cramp. I have developed adult onset asthma and require many hours of sleep but it is interrupted by frequent urination at least once per hour. I am worried that the striated muscle will be next.

Comment from: dede, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My muscle spasm was in the lower part of my back. I was standing and talking to my husband when it started. It was moderate at first but then became very severe. I could not find any relief for the pain apart from use of hot water bottle and intensive massage. I was in a lot of pain for 4 days.

Comment from: Kevin, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a bad road traffic accident on the 15th June, 2015 where a very large vehicle hit my car driver's side front end. I suffered a very bad whip lash and about 15 days later I was suffering severe pains in my right cheek of my bottom and towards my back. It came to a point where I couldn't sleep on my right hand side and virtually impossible to walk as this was causing severe pain in my bottom and lower back. My physiotherapist gave me an examination and suggested that I may have a spinal problem, and he sent me straight to hospital where again I was fully examined. I had various x-rays but everything was ok. The consultant said it was muscle spasms due to the accident on the 15th June. They sent me home with some pain killers but I'm in constant pain but no one has told me for how long these spasms are going to last.

Comment from: Katt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a car accident 3 years ago and have been in pain ever since, neck, left shoulder, left elbow and middle finger. The pain in the finger corresponds with a C6-C7 disc protrusion but an MRI shows it's not hitting a nerve. I cannot lie on my left side at all, and can't lift my arm up without awful pain. An MRI just showed some slight bursitis, and it's all driving me half crazy. No specialist can figure out why all this pain. I had steroid injections in to my neck which helped to begin with but they don't work anymore, am going to ask for one in my shoulder though as I cannot bear the pain. My neck and shoulder are on fire.

Comment from: bull city kid, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I have body spasms at night, they start when I am resting and during sleep. They can be very aggressive causing my neck, arms and legs to jerk sometimes waking me up.

Comment from: countrypatsy, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

Muscle spasms, I have them at night too. I have found out that most of the spasms are from having too much potassium in my body, and I inherited that from my father. So I have to watch what I eat. Some people who don't have enough potassium in their bodies, they have to eat bananas, or they will have cramps all over their bodies. I get the opposite if I eat something that has a great quantity of potassium, then my body has painful spasms leaving me withering in pain, and my body will be distorted from the muscle spasms. So I have to read labels carefully.

Comment from: gregb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

My neck is on fire, it burns and hurts awfully. It's been like this for 3 years, plus I have muscle spasm in my neck. My head goes to the right all the time and when I'm driving, working or doing my everyday things, it is like that.

Comment from: youngster77, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I'm under the impression that I'm far too young for back pain this severe. It's been going on for about 2 years and is slowly getting worse. The muscles on the lower left side of my back are in serious pain. I walk incredibly crooked, can"t run, or stand for long periods of time. Muscle relaxers have helped but I want to go back to normal and go running and feel like a person.

Comment from: Catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am a childhood onset spastic dystonic. My mother is schizophrenic. I have a form of dystonia that has twisting muscle spasms. I can jump from a deep sleep to excruciating pain and can't even put my foot down it is so twisted. My calf muscles will be sunken in and my hands will twist around. The pain can last from minutes to an hour sometimes before it releases itself. I mention my mother, as she has too much dopamine and maybe I do not make enough. I can't get medical help to address this. Most doctors just want to give muscle relaxants, which do nothing. MY EEG and labs have come back normal, but you can still watch the twisting of the muscles in my arms, feet, legs, and calves. Once in a while, it feels like my throat is restricted. I cry a lot from the pain. I wait for the pain to release and try to get on with life.

Comment from: uzomah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I recently was diagnosed with having deteriorating rotator cuffs in both shoulders. I started having the most excruciating pain in my left shoulder, which almost feels like a childbirth muscle contraction. This pain radiates from the base of my neck to my shoulder and down to my middle fingertip and lasts for about 45-60 seconds. I went to my doctor after having difficulty gaining relief from these muscle spasms. My primary care physician referred me to an orthopedist and I had a series of steroidal injections. My specialist retired, and finding a suitable specialist is difficult. Today, my doctor prescribed Prednisone for 12 days and Methocarbomol (for the spasms). I have an appointment for a steroid injection on in a few days. I've never been in so much pain in my arm. I'm concerned about the cause of these symptoms. X-rays reveal arthritis in my shoulder. I plan to meet with my doctor(s) to provide additional info about this painful condition. Whatever I need to do, I plan to make the best decision to take care of this problem. I am open to any information about this type of pain and descriptions of similar problems. The pain is interrupting my life. Nothing relieves it beyond a few minutes. I am going to continue with acupuncture, laser, ultrasounds, and deep massage. I'll continue to see my physical therapist, who supports all therapy with Chinese herb. I'll give those a chance along with the other methods. I'll also continue to pray, ice, and take it easy. I'm sure there are some lessons I can learn from this experience. .

Comment from: julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have muscle spasms in my groin and lower back, I have very bad scoliosis.

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I have a muscle on the right side of my neck that spasms and runs up the base of my skull. I have a hard time finding a stretching position that helps.

Comment from: Star, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My hand feel tingly, then the spasm goes up my arm to the back muscle.

Comment from: mp1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

My muscle spasms give me electric pain from elbow to little finger very quick like when you hit your funny bone.

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have a severe pain in my left thigh it gets so sore it would make me cry.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I started having spasms and pain on my lower back 4 days ago and it is getting worse, mostly on the left side.

Comment from: Terry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a sudden spasm of the inner aspect of my lower arm and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger of my hand, it lasted only about 10 seconds. I was driving the car and had lifted my arm and moved my lower arm backwards to pick up something beside me.

Comment from: judy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am a 78 year old woman. I am awakened some mornings by muscle spasms in my calves that are quite severe.I am on several heart meds as I suffered a heart attack 20 years ago, but my health is very good now.

Comment from: lynne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have had back/shoulder spasms for over a year. I got some relief by going to acupuncture therapy for a very long time. I stopped because of the money, and now it is worse than ever. Physical therapy only made this matter worse. I hate this. Surely, someone knows something.

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have a muscle spasm in my left shoulder blade. My doctor said it was a muscle spasm. She prescribed Vicodin, which I have been taking for three days, and it hasn't let up yet. Can the spasm last longer than a week?

Comment from: wan, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

I get muscle spasms in my legs mostly, and Charlie-horses in my calves, since I had back surgery for a herniated disc that burst caused from a car accident.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have a muscle cramp on right side of back. It's very painful and I have great difficulty when trying to get out of bed. I almost fainted and when I stand from a sitting position. Also pain seems to radiate down to my groin.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter