Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Experience

Please describe your experience with muscle spasms. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Marilyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 12 years ago and really struggle with constant pain. The past couple of years I have had constant muscle spasms in the trunk of my body mostly but sometimes in the legs and many times multiple areas at one time. None of my doctors ever seemed to associate it with fibromyalgia and have no clue how to treat it, and I am miserable because it happens daily. I ended up in the hospital almost in a coma from high lactic acid and rhabdomyolysis. Often lab tests show I continue to have high lactic acid but doctors haven't given me any indication as to why this happens or what I can do to prevent it. I drink a lot of water, take magnesium and potassium but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Comment from: judye, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been experiencing leg cramps in my left hip down since early part of June 2016 and the muscle spasms usually wake me in the wee hours of the morning. I sought chiropractic care in early August 2016 and I was diagnosed with degenerative scoliosis and I am receiving ongoing chiropractic adjustments and deep tissue massage. I am using ibuprofen and Icy Hot patches as needed. The pain has curtailed my activity level but I just try to keep moving.

Comment from: judda, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

After a heavy fall in on January 14 I have progressive muscle problems in my back. The muscle spasms started in my lower back and was debilitating, if I lay down I could not get up without severe pain and I could not stoop to pick something up from knee height. Over the ten weeks I have started cramping in other back muscles without cause or reason. The latest is below my left shoulder and is affecting my breathing.

Comment from: American girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had Charlie horses, stomach cramps and trigger finger but I am wanting to know what these leg cramps are. Mostly in the evening, even before I fall asleep, my legs spasm out of control and jerk back and forth. They draw up, kick out and hurt. I cannot be still if I try. Sometimes my legs will kick up in the air, in quick repetitive motions, as well as make my knee bend and quickly burst back out. My husband says at night it continues. I do not notice it at night but if I sit for long periods of time, say 30 to 40 minutes, my legs begin their dancing painful routine. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I have trouble walking at times in terms of getting my body ready to move.

Comment from: Ruthie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for several years. Over time the attacks have crept up even into my face and hair. When I was 19 I fell into a sitting position while skating. I felt like my spine went through my head. In 1989 I had a neck injury suffering whiplash for 20 years. I can hear the bones of my spine grinding. Now the RLS suddenly attacks. When I get the least bit stressed my body goes into muscle spasms. I tremble. My muscles used to jerk me into fetal position. They still jerk but not as severely since I had surgery, radiofrequency lesioning (RFL) to my neck in 2010. Sweet relief to my neck and from seizure-like spells, but for my lower spine I am just now getting treatment for multiple bulges and multiple spurs. A muscle relaxer that was prescribed to me has helped me so much. No more waking with burning feet, legs flying in the air or the fiberglass feeling all over my scalp or the burning sensation in my skin. Gabapentin is not effective any more. I have taken it for years. Tizanidine has eased the spasms. Pain I've had for years and have learned to live with it. Any new pain is very notable though. I have radiculopathy, cervical and lumbar. Neurologist is a must!

Comment from: faw, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

For lack of a more informed word, I have a 'spasm' in a muscle in my lower back on right side just below the rib cage.

Comment from: Binky52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

Recently I've put on some weight and I don't know if this is connected. Every so often several times a week my tummy just jumps. It does it in my chest as well. It can happen several times a day and I just wondered what it could be. The muscle spasm doesn't hurt at all.

Comment from: ronald, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I am on a medication Triumeq and rifabutin. I have muscle spasms, especially on my triceps, sometimes left arm and right arm. I have no chest pain but muscle spasm on the chest muscles and neck.

Comment from: peetie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 17

I have frequent muscle cramping in my toes, the balls and arches of my feet, in my calves, my upper back, the backs of my thighs, and in my sides. It is very painful and I had to stop my yoga because of it.

Comment from: Ktrim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

My spasms are scoliosis related we think. I have had the pain for several years and no one is sure it's my curved spine or not. The pain is sharp, stabbing like a knife. It doesn't go away at all. I am on short term disability from my job as I can't even sit for any length of time more than 5 minutes. I have been fitted with a brace that's fairly new. It's called the spine or brace. I am in my 7th week of wearing it, and until now the brace seemed to take the pain way down. As of a few days ago, with the brace on, the pain is horrible.

Comment from: Retta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I was diagnosed with piriformis syndrome and have had severe pain from buttocks down back of both legs and behind knees. I have been to bone doctors and spinal doctors. I have been stretched three times, tried electrodes, exercise, walking, working out at gym, and still have this pain. I have tried steroid, cortisone, muscle relaxers and I am still have muscle spasms in both legs. I don't know if there is a cure for this. I have always been very active with working out and working in flowers, etc.

Comment from: Emily, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

For 12 years I suffered from massive muscle cramps in my legs and feet and occasionally in my middle back. I found my answer after demanding every tests possible. Every disk in my middle back (thoracic back) is herniated. This is where our central nervous systems lives and nothing can be done to correct it without risking death. So I take muscle relaxants. Without them I scream in pain. With them I am sleepy and dopy. I'll take sleepy and dopy any day. I would like a normal life back but that will never happen. At least I know why and now my doctor knows I need the prescriptions and I'm not faking it or pretending it's worse than it really is. He knows my suffering is real. No vitamins, no magnesium, no massage therapy, etc., will ever help. I hope my answer helps others find their answers.

Comment from: carrie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Early morning 2 am I always experience muscle spasms. I struggle to move even an inch to wake up for bathroom. My neck stiffens so bad I fell like the brain doesn't belong to me. I tried several strong pain killers but they just make me drowsy but the neck pain still there.

Comment from: mayor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have lupus, fibromyalgia, coronary artery disease (CAD) and am currently taking shots in my back for S1 joint and facet inflammation. I have severe muscle cramps everywhere. Nothing seems to start them but sometimes I can"t walk for the pain in the bottom of feet is so bad, I have slept only very little the past couple of nights as the cramps are turning my toes backwards and my ankles cramp so bad I cannot walk. Nothing relieves them but time. I am on heart medicine but they want me to get off all pain medication and try to live on Tylenol. I don't know what is causing these cramps. I get them when I drive to the point I have to pull over. When I shop my hands will cramp so bad I can"t push the cart. All the doctors just shrug their shoulders.

Comment from: helen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have had spinal reconstruction and I am diabetic, I am having muscle spasms in my body from my chest down and in my feet and legs. They are really a pain and my doctor is treating me but nothing is helping, I just wonder if we are overlooking something, my labs are good except my vitamin D level was low, I was put on vitamin D. My fingers even draw up at times.

Comment from: all, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had leg and thigh cramps off and on for several years, sometimes waking me up in the middle of the night. I find taking a calcium/magnesium/vitamin D combination supplement helps. If I miss taking the supplements for 1 or 2 days, I am almost sure to get the cramps back. Massaging the cramped area also helps to get rid of the cramps faster.

Comment from: rmallergies, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have suffered with muscle cramps for 12 years. I went to a chiropractor that told me I was poisoning my muscles. I did not believe him. Now I have been diagnosed with chemical allergies. I have to be extremely careful what I use for my hair, lotion, soap, etc. Once in a while I encounter something that will cause my back and leg muscles to cramp and I take Valium, Flexeril, pain medications, etc.

Comment from: bobbij, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had muscle cramps over the years, such as the big toe cramping that is pretty bad, but just walked it off. But lately I have had severe muscles cramps in my thighs that are very severe. In fact I passed out for a few seconds from the pain. I also noticed that my muscle was a rigid line that protruded for a few minutes.

Comment from: Jenny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been suffering from spasm for many years, it is very painful and lots of sleepless nights. It happens after sitting for too long at work or just after dancing when I am ready to go to sleep or while I am sleeping. I wish sometimes to be dead than continue suffering from this condition, I find myself without energy. It is very, very painful.

Comment from: Buyman66, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been experiencing spasms in my pelvic region for about 3 years. They are debilitating, as I am unable to continue walking when the spasms hit. I had surgery to remove tumors from my spine in February of 2013, but as time goes by, the spasms have returned to pre operation severity. I have been to multiple doctors had many MRIs, x-rays and I believe a CT scan. With the exception of finding the tumors in the spine resulting in the surgery, nothing else has been found that could be causing the spasms. Nerves look good spine looks good but still having these spasms. Not sure where to turn to now.

Comment from: KLindvig, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have suffered from leg muscle spasms up and down both legs off and on all my life. About 5 years ago I discovered a product called Spascupreel. One tablet under your tongue stops the cramp within 5 to 10 minutes. Before I discovered that, I would use a product called Calm that is a powdered magnesium that you mix with juice and drink as soon as the fizz stops. I mix up a bottle of it with juice and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days and just take about 6 oz. when needed. It works almost immediately for the worst cramps.

Comment from: VISHAL S., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I have muscle pain in leg and thighs. The doctor said in 3 or 4 place in the spinal column, some muscles are attached.

Comment from: Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I had severe leg cramps and the best and quickest cure is to take 1/4 cup of pickle juice! It works within minutes.

Comment from: Samrose, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have smooth muscle spasm syndrome (according to my doctor) and have had problems with spasms in my coronary artery, gullet, stomach, bowel and bladder. Having been treated with drugs for many years to alleviate individual symptoms without success, I have found relief taking a daily supplement of 800mg of magnesium keeps me pain free. I have been able to reduce several medications which is great. However if I miss one capsule of the magnesium I am in pain again.

Comment from: white MRS, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I was in bed when it occurred at night. I had a tightening of the muscles in both my calves. They were stiff, hard and painful. I could not move my legs.

Comment from: Paul, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 20

I have muscle spasms in upper torso and shoulders.

Comment from: theresa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have very painful muscle spasms after knee replacement, behind my knee and calf when bending the knee.

Comment from: akuroro, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

For the past one year, a very close friend has been down with what the doctors recognized as severe muscle spasms which has led to the cramping of the four limbs with pains.

Comment from: hdsae60, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I had electro cardioversion and now I have a twitch in my rib cage that won't stop.

Comment from: willie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

My right hand back muscle cramps and I have terrible pain. I drink ibuprofen 400 mg and Panamor 50 mg received by the chemist.

Comment from: Janene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been using carisoprodol off and on for a year now. I started taking the drug for muscle spasms but found another use for it. I"ve had RLS (restless leg syndrome) since I was a child. I have a lot wrong with my body and bones but the RLS has altered my life more than anything. I have tried all the new Parkinson's drugs and anything and everything they thought might help. Nothing helped. I finally realized that the RLS was better when I took carisoprodol.

Comment from: angella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have this pain in the side off my lower back, it hurts so much I can't even bend to tie my shoe laces. My doctor has put me on Lyrica but is does not work.

Comment from: phil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

My muscle spasms happen if I tighten up any muscle in my body, I think I have some kind of disease and don't know what to do. If I flex any muscle, or even when just moving, it gets cramped and goes into spasms; my legs, hands, back, feet, stomach, neck, jaw… I mean all over. It's very painful.

Comment from: borriguero, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I fell about 6 to 8 feet from a tree and landed on soft ground with left side elbow and rib cage absorbing most of the impact with the wind knocked out of me. I recovered breathing in a few minutes and felt no ill effects other than pain in the left rib cage. X-rays rule out broken bones but there is severe pain in the left rib cage. Tylex 750 mg and Mobicox (meloxicam) 15 mg are not helping. It feels like severe external muscle spasms on the outer left rib cage.

Comment from: Hartz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I suffer from muscle spasms resulting from a car accident. The two main areas are the neck and lower lumbar (back) . They last several days after an onset. Usually physio helps with alleviating the pain, but it can be costly and time consuming.

Comment from: dahlia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had severe pain in my shoulder and neck, radiating down my arm. I have taken muscle relaxants and rubs, but nothing seems to work. I feel like I've run out of options.

Comment from: Exhausted, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

After three years and a battery of tests I've been diagnosed, finally, with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), celiac, serious osteoporosis (lumbar spine) and 15 different allergies. I've received treatments for all except the CFS, because, so far, I've been allergic to the medications. However, for the past five weeks, I've had chronic occipital muscle spasms from my shoulder to behind my ear and neck. My MRI was "perfectly normal," according to my doctor, but the spasms are spreading and getting worse. When I lifted my laptop, I got a sharp, surging spasm in my neck. Also, I have intermittent weakness on my right side for about two years. Physical therapy can only do so much and muscle relaxers make me sleepy or anxious. I've tried hot and cold compresses, too. I'm tired of not getting answers.

Comment from: Bookie, Published: March 06

I fell asleep on the couch and was supposed to be in my bed. My mother woke me up and my muscle had moved to a different spot. I had a muscle cramp. She had to rub my leg until I could walk.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter