Patient Comments: Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle pain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: db, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I believe my muscle pain was from getting 3 simultaneous vaccine shots. It is described as macrophagic myofasciitis in the literature.

Comment from: Knee cap girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a registered nurse who goes through monthly knee cap dislocation but makes it back; alone. It takes 5 to 10 minutes of intense pain, 10 on a scale of 0 to 10. Now I am in physical therapy. They say strengthening gluteus will stop the dislocation. We will see. I don't think so. I am game as no surgery for me. If you get a staph infection it is likely to travel to a prosthetic part. I have taken care of too many.

Comment from: nana, 35-44 (Patient) Published: January 30

For the last year I have been suffering from pain around my scapula, rhomboids, pectoral and deltoid muscles or area. The pain is so unbearable sometimes that I wish someone can knock me out. I haven't been able to work in my field since it started a year ago. Sometimes I can't drive or brush my hair. It is debilitating and I'm tired all the time because I can't sleep. Today, I was diagnosed with myofascial pain syndrome, it won't be cured but I know that with regular massage, physical therapy and medication the symptoms will be controlled. Those were the only things that helped me for the past year.

Comment from: Joann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I believe my myofascial pain syndrome was caused by Ramsey Hunt syndrome. Little is known about the cause and effect of Ramsey Hunt Syndrome. Only one doctor I have had, had any contact with a patient who had Ramsey Hunt Syndrome and most know very little. The spasm to the left side muscle extending below my left ear to my collar bone worsens as time goes by. Cyclobenzaprine does ease the spasms.

Comment from: Xena, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have been taking allergy shots for a couple months. Since I have been taking them my 2 arms are in constant muscle pain from shoulder to wrist. My allergist said she would give my shots in the hip. I am afraid that I will end up with back pain or leg pain. I am very confused on this allergy ordeal, I have read blogs of people having the same side effects as me.

Comment from: Carrielg26, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have the most severe muscular pain. I can't fall sleep, it hurts throughout the day. My doctors don't have any idea what the problem could be.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I went to a Rheumatologist at the University of Virginia and was told I do NOT have RA, fibromyalgia or lupus. It might be myositis. At any rate it is always an underlying presence but sometimes flares up causing a more severe pain. Celebrex helps, but I have high blood pressure so I began exploring for other remedies. After 5 years and much $$$, I finally found something that helps: Boswellia, Ginger, and Bromelain. I take a large dose in the morning, mid-sized dose in the afternoon, and a rather small dose at night. Of course, I still wake up in pain, barely able to walk - but at least I get relief once the "meds" set in. Being out of pain seems to give me more energy! I hope this info is useful to someone out there.

Comment from: lonewolf, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I get severe pain in the shoulder when I throw a ball or anything. This pain lasts for about a minute then goes away after I massage my shoulder. I am 64 years old and in fairly good shape. I believe this condition came about when I was shoveling snow last winter and sprained my elbow from the repetitive motions. This elbow injury slowly became a shoulder problem.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have chronic myofascial pain. At age 20, I had TMJ surgery, which I thought took care of the TMJ. 27 years later, I've just discovered that my neck and facial pain is still related to my jaw issue. Luckily I've found a wonderful myofascial release therapists that is helping me tremendously!!!! And, my orthopedist gave me a prescription for myofascial release therapy and my insurance is covering it!!! Yeah!!!!! There IS hope for myofascial pain!!!!

Comment from: Susan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I suffered from years of childhood abuse and because of the trauma, I sleep in a more tightly curled up fetal position which has caused myofascial pain syndrome of the abdominal and back muscles. I've tried physio and hydrotherapy. The best things that help are trigger point injections, osteopathy and some stretches.

Surprising Reasons You're in Pain Slideshow
Comment from: aerobus, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

C-section caused my myofascial pain.

Comment from: gardinia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I think my pain is being caused by Simvastatin. I never made a connection until the other day when I saw an article about this; I thought all my pain was caused by blood flow in my lower body. I asked my doctor about the Statin and he immediately took me off them for 2 weeks. This is only the second day and already I feel quite better.

Comment from: Dan the mailman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I am a city letter carrier and walk 8 miles a day on my route. When I push too hard or have to trudge deep snow I get pain in my feet, hips, lower back, and shoulders. The pain seems to get progressively worse over a week or two. I take neproxin, but the pain has been breaking through. Pain and stiffness is the worst in the evening. In the past, I have been able to manage the pain by reducing my pace, but once it has flared up it is hard to keep away.

Surprising Reasons You're in Pain Slideshow