Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with tender points and fatigue. Treatment usually involves physical therapy, massage therapy, or trigger point injection. Read more: Myofascial Pain Syndrome Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Nerve Pain: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment Options
Learn about nerve pain symptoms, causes, and treatment options. Discover medications, treatments, and natural remedies that can...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Physical Symptoms of Depression in Pictures
Depression can cause physical problems such as insomnia, chest pain, fatigue, headaches, and more. Learn the signs of depression...
Fibromyalgia Treatments and Tips to Ease Pain and Other Symptoms
What is fibromyalgia? Learn about fibromyalgia symptoms such as trigger points (also called tender points), learn what causes...
Related Disease Conditions
Muscle cramps are involuntarily and forcibly contracted muscles that do not relax. Extremely common, any muscles that have...
Low Potassium (Hypokalemia)
Potassium is an essential electrolyte necessary for cell function. Low potassium (hypokalemia) may be caused by diarrhea,...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Dengue fever is contracted from the bite of a striped Aedes aegypti mosquito. Symptoms and signs of dengue include headache,...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Intermittent claudication, or pain and cramping in the lower leg is caused by inadequate blood flow to the leg muscles. This lack...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Muscle Pain (Myofascial Pain Syndrome)
A polio infection causes symptoms and signs such as paralysis, limb deformities, and even death. There is no curative treatment...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF)
Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a tick-borne disease that causes symptoms and signs such as fever, rash, headache, and muscle...
Pain Management: Musculoskeletal Pain
Natural menopause is the permanent ending of menstruation that is not brought on by any type of medical treatment. For women...
Bug Bites and Stings
Bug bites and stings have been known to transmit insect-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus, Rocky Mountain spotted fever,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Rheumatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- clonazepam (Klonopin)
- metaxalone - oral, Skelaxin
- cyclobenzaprine - oral, Flexeril
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- Oxycodone vs. Codeine
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone
- Dilaudid vs. Percocet for Pain
- methocarbamol (Robaxin, Robaxin-750)
- orphenadrine (Norflex)
- orphenadrine - injection, Norflex
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- carisoprodol (Soma)
- triazolam, Halcion
- butorphanol (Stadol)
- aspirin gum - oral, Aspergum
- methocarbamol/aspirin - oral
Prevention & Wellness
- High-Dose Statins Linked to Acute Kidney Damage
- Jaw Pain Disorder Tied to Anxiety, Depression
- Surgery May Not Be Needed for Ruptured Achilles Tendon
- Tick-Borne Illnesses in U.S. Move Beyond Lyme Disease
- Women, Young Adults Misinterpret Chest Pain: Study
- Blood or Bone Marrow Better for Stem Cell Transplants?
- As Armstrong Case Unfolds, Experts Describe Doping's Harms
- Topical Products for Muscle, Joint Pain May Cause Burns: FDA
- NFL Docs Urge More Caution With Key Pain Med
- Doping With Muscle-Building Drugs: FAQ
- Massage Right After Muscle Injury May Boost Healing
- Barefoot Running Can Be Great, but Tread Carefully
- Rate of Statin-Linked Muscle Woes Unclear, Study Suggests
- New Clues to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- College Athletes in Low-Contact Sports Have More Overuse Injuries
- Statin Risks Outweighed by Statin Benefits
- Ice Baths for Sore Muscles Can Work
- Gleevec Approval Widened to Include Rare Cancer
- Health Tip: Strained a Hamstring?
- Pneumonia Vaccine Approved for Older People
- Needle-Free Shots Make Vaccines Less Scary
- Study: Stress Is Not Linked to MS Risk
- Ginger May Soothe Aching Muscles
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter