Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Joyce, Published: October 31

I was sitting watching TV when I suddenly felt a feeling of heat in my right breast. I had had my mammogram two months earlier and it was clear. I am very low risk and have been in the breast screening program since I was 50 years old. I called the health line the next morning. They told me I had to see a doctor within 4 hours. I called my doctor who saw me immediately. My nipple was very red, hot and painful. She could not examine me because of the soreness. She was very concerned. I was prescribed a heavy duty course of antibiotics and told to return in one week. I saw her the following week. The antibiotics had helped but it was still red and sore. She said she could feel a small lump. She sent me for a breast ultra sound the following week and it was determined that I had mastitis. I was surprised to hear that I could have mastitis at my age. It was a relief. It completely cleared up and I have had no reoccurrence.

Comment from: Ryanvanren, Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I was stung by a stingray on November 13, 2016 at Huntington Beach, California. I was in about a foot of water with my 8 year old, bodysurfing. After I got stung, I ended up at the lifeguard station about 30 minutes later where they soaked my foot in scalding hot water. The pain for the first hour was tolerable and even more so, when it was in the hot water. I only soaked for about 45 minutes and then went back to the beach to watch my daughter play in her volleyball tournament. After about another 40 minutes (so now about an hour forty five after being stung) the pain was intense and I couldn't sit still. So, I ended up back at the lifeguard station to soak for another 45 minutes. The pain lasted for about 3.5 to 4 hours. Once I got home and put my foot in a Jacuzzi, it virtually went away. I was fine the next day and all week. Now, a week later, my foot has started swelling, is a little painful and the wound is itchy. Not sure if I should go get antibiotics. The wound does not appear to be infected and the swelling is not around the wound, but higher towards my ankle.

Comment from: Maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have muscular dystrophy and I have had to deal with serious leg cramps for years. They often start during the night after I overdo it during the day. Quinine Sulfate tablets during a spasm with liquid magnesium are the only things that helps me as the cramps are so severe and do not stop, but spread getting progressively worse to the point of agony. Recently I have found staying hydrated with Gatorade (or something equivalent) during activities helps to actually prevent leg cramps later in the day. Lately I have tried extra water plus lemonade with a teaspoon of magnesium mixed in which works well also. I also periodically drink mineral water. I hope this helps others!

Comment from: susanmarie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

If you are female and suffer from leg cramps, check your hormone levels (progesterone, estrogens, etc.) I have found that my leg cramps were caused by low progesterone. Bioidentical progesterone cream resolved this.

Comment from: female, 75 or over (Patient) Published: May 13

I was admitted to the hospital following symptoms of dehydration, orange urine, nausea and vomiting, lack of appetite, abdominal bloating and general gastric problems. I also had jaundice of the eyes. I was diagnosed with alcohol induced hepatitis and following a CT, fatty liver. I also have hypothyroidism that went undiagnosed for a long time which I think had a play in the buildup of fat in my liver. I have bad gastric reactions to foods with gluten (corn, rice) and many meats too (beef, pork), so I avoid those foods. I had and continue to be malnourished. I think the flora in my gut is off balance and it is hard to digest food (formerly had C. difficile). I take probiotics for that. Since quitting drinking following diagnosis, my stomach has decreased in size by many inches. I have severe stretch marks left. They class fatty liver as either alcoholic or non-alcoholic. My liver levels are tested regularly and my most recent liver ultrasound was normal except for the still fatty liver. I will always do as much as I can to avoid another 5 day hospital stay! I wonder if fatty liver causes confusion. I still feel mentally fogged. I used to take vitamin E to help repair my liver, but read it can lead to a buildup of fat in the liver.

Comment from: adamo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have had muscle cramping since I was 4 or 5. I tried everything mentioned in your web site. I have gone to doctors for years, and nothing they gave me worked. I have taken up to 10 Flexeril at a time and it does nothing. I get them day and night. I have had them for a 24 hour period of time. I can do nothing when they start. I don't know how I get them to stop. I am getting older now and the bending and exercise moves I used to do to try and rid myself of them are harder and harder to do.

Comment from: carolina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

Sometimes I bleed rectally when I go the bathroom. It happens sometimes not always.

Comment from: Castey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

To all who suffer leg cramps, I too have been having them for many years and they have been so severe that it has made me physically sick. There have been times where I thought my bones were going to break! I also was given every medicine known to mankind with no relief. I then found something that helps a lot! It is called of all things 'Stops Foot and Leg Cramps'. It is an all-natural liquid made by the Amish. It literally has saved my life. It runs about USD 11.00 a bottle and I pour it into a spray bottle and just spray it on the muscle. Instead of a leg cramp that lasts for hours or more, it will break in a matter of minutes. Makes you smell like a tossed salad, but who cares if we are not suffering like that. I get it at a vitamin store, check it out! I swear by it and am very thankful I did research and found it.

Comment from: Vicky V., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

A little tip for you people out there suffering from severe cramps. Go see an orthopedist and check your feet. I was just diagnosed with 'hollow feet', a foot deformity where the arch is abnormally high (opposite of flat foot basically). I was told that this was the reason behind the severe cramps I've had since December 14, and was admitted to hospital for it. Probably had this since birth and it all culminated in December; my feet just collapsed after all these years. It is worth a visit to an orthopedist just to check! This has been my life saver.

Comment from: joanne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had severe palpitations for 3 years and my cardiologist ignored them until I had a severe episode of atrial fibrillation. I had to wear a monitor for a month before anything showed up on the last day. I was then put on warfarin to avoid stroke. I continued to have severe episodes and finally one morning I was so weak; my pulse dropped to 35. I called the cardiologist and spoke with his nurse who told me to get to the emergency room (ER). I kept pulsing out in the ER. First they put a patch pacemaker on. Then within an hour I was taken to the operation room and had a temporary pacemaker inserted. Next day I had a permanent one. About 4 years ago I had an AV (atrioventricular) ablation; means they burn the AV node so I wouldn't feel the ablation. Finally I felt much better. Now I am starting to feel extreme exhaustion for the past 3 days, it lasts several hours. I cannot even sit up and read when this happens. I am calling the doctor tomorrow to make sure my heart is not out of rhythm. I on warfarin, diltiazem, Valium, and Tylenol PM plus B supplements. I hate to live with this exhaustion; don't feel like I am really living.

Comment from: CJC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Over 3 months ago, I awoke with a very painful muscle cramp middle of right thigh. I still have it. Often it is also felt in the area of the gluteus medius. Standing up or sitting down are the worst, especially if I have been sitting for a while, say, over 20 minutes. Every twitch in my sleep gives a jerk and a stab of pain, so lack of sleep and its consequences are a problem. The site of this pain cannot be localized. I did maximum Aleve and ice and pulled back from a lot of my aerobic machines. Nothing worked. I have been to three doctors and now awaiting a physiotherapist's input. X-rays show a good hip for my age but an inflamed nerve root at L4 L5. MRI shows a goodly amount of lower back arthritis but nothing on nerves. All are puzzled. I wonder if an epidural cortisone would work. It has taken a couple months to get the doctor to validate my pain and I use a low dose oxycodone which takes off the edge. This pain is a 10 almost every time I move that muscle, which is often. Not restless leg syndrome or sciatica. Potassium and calcium are very normal.

Comment from: 94112js, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I would like to know how to treat leg cramps which last months and months. I have low potassium and am treated for it. But when I do get a leg cramp, it just stays cramped and will not release. I stretch, walk, use heat/cold, rubs, and creams. The medical center has no idea. Currently have a leg cramp which has lasted 3 months, a neck muscle cramp lasting 6 months.

Comment from: Nora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was waking up to horribly painful leg cramps every morning. I got no answer on what to do about it from my doctor. After many mornings of suffering, it occurred to me to look up painful leg cramps. I discovered that one of the causes of painful leg cramps is having low potassium. My potassium, when checked, was very low. I started taking a potassium supplement right before bed time. Doing that helped tremendously. I still sometimes have some painful cramping, but at least the leg pain is no longer unbearable.

Comment from: scovey, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I wake up with leg cramps most mornings. They may be in the thigh, calf or foot. I get up immediately, and no matter how painful, they disappear when I walk around. The residual pain may last for a few minutes. Occasionally they occur when sitting too long in one chair. They never occur when I am walking.

Comment from: aaron diaz, 45-54 Female Published: January 15

I first developed pancreatitis when I was 21. That was the worst feeling i have ever felt. I am a big drinker. I have stayed in the hospital for a week without anything to eat or drink by mouth. That fed me through IV, and I was given morphine every six hours. They said not to drink again or it would get worse. I was scared to pick up a beer. I went sober for a whole year and some, but started again at a party. So after about another year of binge drinking I have it again. The same thing happened three more times. I was released from the hospital about three months ago and my enzymes where extremely high this time, I have liver damage. Despite it all, I still want to drink.

Comment from: God's Child, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I suffered for a year with fairly consistent and severe leg/foot cramping. Most of the time potassium drink, plus increasing my water to 12-14 glasses of water helped a lot. The last few months though, the cramping from my groin area to my feet became violent, causing me to scream and not be able to move; plus, they began happening every night, rather than a couple of times a week. After much research, I will tell you that I made these changes, and the cramping has stopped. I discovered I was not taking enough calcium supplements, so I increased them, which also contained magnesium. I found out I needed far more potassium drink (not Gatorade), and increased it. You can check with your doctor and online for the amounts best for you. I began eating very healthy foods 90% of the time, rather than 40% of time, and I expect soon to go off of my cholesterol prescription, which can cause muscle cramps. These are big changes, but for the many I read on here who know the agony of these cramps, the changes are worth it, as well as my health.

Comment from: tmich66, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 47 year old male with muscle cramps affecting many different muscle groups, from feet, calves, and quadriceps to biceps, hands and forearms, back, neck, and jaw. This seems to worsen as I age. I am in good shape, 5"9" and 165 lb. I exercise 3 to 5 days per week. I get plenty of water, and otherwise have had no ailments. The only abnormality I can think of is a high blood calcium level for the last couple of annual physicals. Any help figuring this out would be great. I have been to 2 doctors who don"t seem too worried about it.

Comment from: blue, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I was running on the treadmill one day. I didn't have on proper shoes, the shoes were worn out badly. I wore them and I ran for about as hour. The next day is when I started to have muscle cramps in both legs. The pain is so bad that I can't sleep at night. When I sit down is when I have the pain. Now I put heat pad on it and at night I keep my legs raised up high. I know it will be months before it heals. Make sure you wear proper shoes when you are out running.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 53 year old and I suffer from cramps just about every night. Mainly in my feet, but it also can be in my calves and full legs. I have had no operations, and I am not on any medication and I can"t work it out. I have tried including salt in my diet etc., I do at least 30 minute exercise on the treadmill with a warm up and slow down program so it is not that either.

Comment from: rockman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had two discectomies on L4 L5 and have spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease. I get severe leg cramps and foot pain. I believe it is caused from nerve damage in lower spine.

Comment from: Suzie Q, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Intestinal disturbances or disease can cause malabsorption of many vitamins and minerals, as well as dehydration. I have muscle cramps in my chest, intestines, stomach, lungs, feet and legs due to Crohn's disease and resulting ileostomy. I often feel very weak and lightheaded. Potassium, magnesium, and calcium help, and I have been advised by my doctor to use lots of salt as well as to drink a gallon of water a day. The muscle cramps in the back of my calves can leave me with bruises. My vision and memory can be affected. Depression and feelings of not being worth a hoot make life challenging.

Comment from: JAN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have suffered with benign faciclations for the last 25 years or so. I am 58 now. I remember vividly when I first felt the faciclations as I was heading home from the gym sitting at a stoplight and I could feel this twitching in my legs below the knee. I thought it was kind of weird but after a few minutes it went away and then it was about 2 weeks later I felt it again and it continued into the night and when I went to bed I got a bad cramp in one of my calves. It went a long time before I felt it again but over the last 10 years it has gotten progressively worse. I saw a neurologist about 10 years ago and after my exam he wanted to do an electromyogram (EMG) test. He felt certain it was benign fasciculations and told me to increase my magnesium and I would be fine. He said the good thing was it's benign which meant no worries. Well, it got worse and worse over the years. Stress makes this condition worse. Last March I was under a lot of stress with my business and I had a mini “meltdown” (my term for it). I had the fasciculation constantly and I had not been sleeping. It is very difficult to relax to go to sleep when this is going on. The twitching grew worse and my heart started beating fast on and off. I used every remedy I had tried before even though they didn't work then but I tried again. I drank almost 2 liters of tonic water and nothing. I spoke with my sister who said I had a panic attack. I had never had one before but my doctor said yes, that is what happened. My doctor put me on clonazepam 0.5 mg and told me to go home, take it and relax. I took it, fell to sleep for a couple hours and when I woke up the fasciculations were gone. They stayed gone for months but the new neurologist I started seeing said the medication will wear off and they have started to do that. It makes me very tired so I can't even take the full daytime dose. I am now trying ropinirole, which is a restless leg syndrome (RLS) medication since I have some of those symptoms. I have been on it about 12 days and last night was one of the worst nights I have had since the meltdown. Before my meltdown I was taking no medications, just vitamins etc. and have been seeing a naturopath. She tried everything as well but nothing worked. It is so frustrating, painful and depressing. If it was just a little cramp and you could walk it off and go back to bed that would be one thing but the fasciculation's cause the cramping so its not stop and the more you relax the worse it gets. Very difficult to deal with.

Comment from: LongJohn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I have had terrible muscle cramps on my groin for many years. I usually wake up at night with the cramp causing me to be at full mast. The only thing that works is if the old lady massages. Then the cramp goes away. I think I need more potassium in my diet.

Comment from: nina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have had bad breath from birth. Nothing works, not even after dental cleaning. The next minute smell is bad again.

Comment from: sunflower, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I work as a CNA (certified nursing assistant) and I am on my feet for 8 hours a day so I realize I would be sore, but I am sore in my leg muscles even when I am not working and am sitting down. At night I can't sleep on my sides because it hurts so badly, and I also get severe cramps in my thigh muscles.

Comment from: smoky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

For several years I've had a muscle pain in my groin area and it hurts so bad I cry. It bends me over and I can't do anything. You can't straighten up and you just have to cry and wait about 10 to 15 minutes for it to pass. Sometimes I go for a year and not have one .You never know when it's going to happen. I've been on several muscle relaxers but it's not something you can take all the time. Now I've found this site and intend to try some of the things people are talking about.

Comment from: SymJowers, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Within the last 2 months I have begun having severe leg and feet cramps. When I say severe, I mean it brings tears to your eyes with pain! I went to the doctor and she prescribed ropinirole because she claimed it was restless legs. I have had restless legs and knew it wasn't that. It did not help, but I have eased the cramps up with Hyland's Leg Cramps PM. I purchased them at Walmart. I had to call the doctor today because I need to know what is causing this, I cannot continue to put a Band-Aid on the problem. Hoping this appointment will be it!

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I used to have leg cramps nightly until my doctor put me on vitamin B12 injections 18 months ago ( 1 cc each month ). I"ve not had 1 nocturnal leg cramp since. Oral B12 does not work for me.

Comment from: Jean, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I get horrible cramps in my right groin and it happens in the early morning hours. I use heat to help. Due to poor circulation in my legs the doctor suggested I try horse chestnut extract (I had a heart attack several years ago). This helped the swelling and flow of blood, but the cramps got worse. I had the groin cramp before the horse chestnut, but they got worse after taking it... I'm not sure what to do.

Comment from: Ellen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I am 56 years old and have suffered with severe cramps for three years. I drank a quart of tonic water daily and I exercised my legs and feet. I drink 1/2 gallon of water every day, I take hot baths before bed, I wear light socks to bed… nothing works. I now take CoQ10 daily and Mag-Ox three times per day. I have had exams, x-rays, blood tests and ultrasounds. I have been to four physicians including an orthopedic surgeon... there is not relief whatsoever and the doctors have no other suggestions. I do not seem to have a magnesium deficiency per the blood results so we are baffled. The cramps are so bad I have to use my hands to straighten out my feet because they curl up. It is scary flying out of bed with this severe pain. I worry about falling now that I am older. I am always tired and drag through the days.

Comment from: carl, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 58 and have a below knee amputation. I have been suffering for nearly 3 years with terrible muscle cramps in the calf of my leg every day. I have tried everything from medicines to a back operation to shots in the back. I only walk a few feet at a time and have to stop. I've been from doctor to doctor. I've had every test and nothing works.

Comment from: Ace, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I have a sinus infection along with a prostrate infection to boot. Both my general practitioner and my urologist prescribed me sulfamethoxazole TMP DS 800 - 160 tab and ciprofloxacin HCL 500 MG tablet. I've had the most terrible excruciating pain in my left shoulder and my left hip. Almost unbearable. I don't what is causing this, loss of electrolytes or allergic reaction. I`m not over either problems with my prostrate or my sinuses. I had to stop both antibiotics so that I could function on my job without shouting in extreme pain all the time.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have had horrible problems with my legs for sixteen years. I spent almost a decade sleep deprived. I have tried everything from Neurontin to Irish Faith Healers. I finally found Dilantin. I recently was diagnosed with cramp fasciculation with tremors, and my Dilantin was upped. Life is not only tolerable again, most days, I enjoy it.

Comment from: Bobbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My cramps started 3 months after having herniated disk surgery in my L4- L5 vertebra. I am 54 and it has now been 13 years of pure Hell! From my knees down I have benign Fasciculations. Similar to the eye twitch but every muscle is twitching. I have seen Internal medicine, neurologists, and specialists in muscles. They all scratch their heads and have no clue what can be the cause of it. The last feels it could have been my surgery. So I guess this is a lifetime of cramping on a nightly basis for me. It is so, painful and exhausting not getting sleep. It starts within 20 minutes of falling asleep. Also, if I am just lying in bed in a horizontal position causes it. At times I have to sleep sitting up to get relief. Every muscle in the lower extremity cramps not just the calf. Predominately in the left leg about 10 0/0 in the right leg. I have studied my eating habits and drinking. I cannot determine the food that enhances it but I do know that wine and club soda intensifies the cramps. Also if I walk in heels I will cramp nearly every 30 minutes all night. I know all this sounds extreme but this is my hell I live with every night. My Doctor put me on Baclofen but that has not helped. I have been on that for about 60 days now. I still have cramps nightly. I started taking the "Bob Barefoot Coral Calcium” supplements about 4 years ago. They have helped tremendously. I can go at times 3 days with no cramps. If I stop taking it within 4 days the cramping is horrific again. I read on here recently that cider apple vinegar will help I started that today so we shall see. I know I have been suicidal at times with the pain. No one knows until they experience it. And the lack of sleep makes it impossible to function. If anyone has any ideas please pass along. I don't know if I am an exception but I do know I have never met anyone who has them so bad as I do. I have even thought about cutting my legs off at the knees. I know that sounds drastic but the pain is getting to be too much.

Comment from: Sunnymae, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm in my seventies. I get severe leg and feet cramps at night. I keep a heating pad handy. I wrap it around my leg, or around my feet. Also, I found putting my feet in hot water (as hot as I can stand) helps to stop feet cramping. I drink a glass of water before bedtime. I think sometimes I might be dehydrated. Walking rarely helps. Sometimes I get them in both legs at once. Then I can't do much of anything. I put the electric heating pad under my legs, on my bed.

Comment from: Taxilady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I feel for all the other people with the leg cramps. What I seem to be going through is every time I take any allergy meds or pain relief meds I start getting real bad muscle spasms in my calves and sides. The only thing that relieves it is hot showers and walking around until the meds get out of my system. I have found an herbal remedy that has seemed to help some, called "Yarrow". It will give you some bowel movements at first, but usually after a day or two it lets up, but the cramps go away! Try it!

Comment from: pdB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I have been taking Zocor (Simvastatin, the generic) for about 3 years, owing to borderline high cholesterol. For the past year or so, I have started developing excruciating leg cramps, in my calves, that begin when I walk maybe 100 steps and increasingly worsen the more I walk. Vascular problems, neuropathy (I am a diabetic), and spinal stenosis have all been eliminated by testing and diagnoses. Recently, my orthopedist suggested I stop taking Simvastatin, and my PCP concurred. It has been five days, and my leg pain has been reduced by half. I'm hoping now this reduction in pain will continue, and I am also beginning physical therapy to relieve the very tight muscles in my lower legs.

Comment from: Marcia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have charley horses, foot cramps where the foot pulls to the left or right, sever toe cramps, and cramps in my hands. None of these are due to exercise, and most occur in the evening. Last night, I was driving when both feet began cramping so badly I started crying and thought I might have to pull over.

Comment from: olderand wiser, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 24

About 8 years ago my doctor wanted me to take Lipitor and I reluctantly agree to try it. Within six weeks I began to notice loss of control in my arms and legs but my doctor was in denial that it could be related. Shortly thereafter I ended up in the emergency room because I could barely move and thank God for the young ER doctor who nailed it right away. Dropped the medication right away and the symptoms began to clear up almost immediately although I have since discovered that permanent damage was done that I will have to live with. Also, the same result about two years ago when my doctor prescribed Lantus for diabetes treatment. I would wake in the middle of the night with severe leg cramps then spreading to my arms. Those symptoms disappeared after I stopped the medication. My former doctor still doesn't believe there was a connection! I still have occasional problems with muscle pain and weakness but get relief utilizing several homeopathic supplements without side effects of any kind.

Comment from: mimito3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am a 70- year old woman. For years I had severe leg cramps at night. Several years ago I decided we needed to cut down on salt. I bought some Lite Salt. Immediately my leg cramps stopped. Lite salt contains salt, potassium chloride & magnesium. Anytime I don't eat anything that I have salted with Lite Salt, that night I will get a severe leg cramp again. My beautician had the same type cramps so I started her to using Lite Salt. She had the same results that I did. Of course if we use too much of it our potassium will be too high.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: January 19

I get severe muscle cramps in my upper legs in the evening while sitting in the recliner or while in bed. They hurt too bad to wait it out, so I fill the bathtub as hot as I can handle and get in. The cramp usually subsides within a few minutes.

Comment from: daisy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

The cramp I get is in the top of my inner thigh, its vice like, the pain is so bad it brings me to tears, This normally only occurs during the night and can take up to half an hour to subside but the ache can stay with me for a day or two, Stretching doesn't help. I have tried deep breathing and or having a drink of water.

Comment from: gramps427, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

Sadly I have found nothing helps to stop cramp attacks; too often its related to other problems I've had (Heart Attack aged 42) and the medications that are thrown at me. Right now a bad run has, I believe, led to other problems with my Achilles that was damaged many years ago. I have found that GP's tend to lack sympathy over the problems of facing up to a cramp attack in both calf's at 5 am and the struggle to walk for a couple of days after. Along with prolapsed lumbar discs and cervical anomalies the only advice I could give is don't grow old to quickly and drink lots of orange juice topped up with your favorite bevvy!

Comment from: Wendy, 65-74 Male Published: June 07

I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune liver disease, and waited for seven long years for my transplant. In the long process of dying I learned how to live. It was the best and the worst experience of my life. I have nothing but praise for all the medical people I came across; all those people who kept me alive until my liver came to me. It was a crazy, scary ride, but worth the wait. I've been well for eight years now, but I'll never take my health for granted again. A special thanks for my husband, who never left me for a minute, and never let me give up, I love you.

Comment from: jaycee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

The backs of my legs cramp as if I were having a charley horse in both at the same time. The only relief I find is getting them warm or lying down.

Comment from: peterc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I've had muscle cramps for most of my life. They seemed to get worse over the last two years, more painful, and lasting longer, up to about 8 minutes. I have tried tablets, to no effect, but now I think (hope) I have found the solution, as I haven't cramped for over a month. It's simple, easy and cheap and it works for me. I put a pinch of Epsom salts into my socks each morning.

Comment from: Bensid54, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I have rheumatoid arthritis and would suffer sudden severe cramps when sitting or sleeping.

Comment from: Floyd, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 13

The cause of my muscle cramps was working on the roof spreading coating on roof.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

The cause of my muscle cramps was walking and climbing stairs.

Comment from: chetty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I started walking 5km twice a day and this calf pain is a concern to me, it's painful and a bit hard to work the next day.

Comment from: Geo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had 2 back surgeries on L4 and L5 and shortly after that is when my leg cramps started.

Comment from: healthy67, 65-74 Female Published: July 17

I take magneseum, zinc picolinate, vitamin c, lesithen, e, biotin. I also take a small dosage of generic rx for cholesteral and thyroid med. I drink lots of water-filtered. Recently I spent 1 wk in San Francisco, drank lots of tap water..I didn't change any suppliments or meds. I had no muscle cramps? Do you think their water has minerals I don't get in my refridgerator filtered water??? I have since had them regularly since I've been home.???

Comment from: icezam19, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I was a caregiver for my husband during his horrible cancer battle. I got little sleep during the past two months and adrenaline was running high. The day after his funeral, I woke up in excruciating full body pain. I literally couldn't move anything. I laid there alone for seven hours with no let-up at all. Later, doctors told me my entire back was spasming, which cased my whole body cramp. The cause was a sudden drop of long-term high adrenaline and dehydration. At the hospital, I received morphine, muscle relaxants, and fluids, which all helped. I've also had several months of chiropractic adjustments. So, for me, stress, dehydration, and a sudden adrenaline drop was the cause.

Comment from: Bax, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I've read over all the issues here and mine are different. I had blood work done, and being calcium deficient explains a lot. However, the cramps I get are in my groin. I'm 46 and female and the cramp will happen if I'm sitting, on my feet, watching TV, and even during sex. It is a debilitating pain: I can't move and scream the entire time. It lasts for about 10 minutes but it feels like an eternity. I can't get up. I have to lay and take it, and cry and scream the whole time until it goes away.

Comment from: Karen, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 13

My mom, 80 years old, was having terrible leg cramps every night for several years. She hasn't had it since she had a hysterectomy for a prolapsed uterus. If you are a woman, have had pregnancies, and are suffering from leg cramps, please see a gynecologist and have them check you for a prolapsed uterus.

Comment from: Male Published: January 04

The most severe cramps that I have occur after a day of quail hunting(some heavy walking in heavy cover), or golf in the summer. It occurs mainly above my knees on the inside of my thighs. It is terribly painful and will occur several times during the night. The only relief is to try standing, walking around and keep trying to gently stretch.

Comment from: Old Swimmer, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 29

Hi. I suffer with cramps at night, as I get out of bed and during my swimming program. I do not know the cause and cannot find out the cause. But after reading some of these stories, I believe it is due to my Grave's disease(hyperthyroid) and the medication I am on. My cramps started within 3 months of taking this medication. I have tried hot packs etc, and no relief. I have a friend who is a nurse and she said put cold packs on the cramping area. I did this and had instant relief. It only takes seconds for relief.

Comment from: PT207, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Since my teenage years I've had calf and foot cramps, nearly always after getting into bed. Sometimes they wake me from sleep and I have to stand or walk, pressing my foot flat on the floor until the cramps subside 3 to 4 minutes later. My Dad also had similar cramping. I think I can connect mine to cold feet during the day or a change in the height/fit of my shoes. Unfortunately, it's sort of random. I used to take Qunidine Sulfate if I anticipated cramping, and it worked very well. But that's no longer available and I'm told it is dangerous. I've found that wearing warm socks to bed, or taking a hot shower before bedtime helps. Also, drinking more water than usual seems to help. I am a very healthy 56 year old, a vegan, and work out 4 - 5 times a week.

Comment from: heidicat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had two back surgeries 20 years ago (I'm 54 now) and have suffered with severe leg cramps generally daily also, but not as frequently as others on here. One thing that helps is to sleep on your side, with a long body pillow placed between your legs as well as a pillow to support your arm that is on top. If you can keep your body as horizontally aligned as possible without twisting or leaning that may bring some relief. Also I just bought a TigerTailUSA muscle roller and believe it or not, this helps when I am having the spasms within a couple minutes. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Obie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I started getting leg cramps in my calves and shins and have tried tonic water, magnesium, etc. Nothing seemed to work except I just tried coconut water, not my favorite, but it has helped for six nights now, yeah! The cause of my leg cramps I believe was from an epidural I had in my back 2 months ago.

Comment from: Alicia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I have low blood calcium/magnesium due to poor functioning parathyroid.

Comment from: lsruple, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

One week ago, I had severe bilateral leg cramps that awakened me at 2 a.m. The cramps were the worst ever and were from my feet to above my knees. It was so bad that I fell and fractured my leg. I was prescribed Klonopin several years ago and do not take it every night. But I will from now on, as I am dealing with a broken leg now and still have to work. I am in a cast boot and having to use crutches.

Comment from: bzone, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I just had a hip replacement four days ago and although I left the hospital within 54 hours now, muscle cramps are keeping me from sleep. Whenever I lie down, they start within minutes. Tylenol or Percocet has not helped.

Comment from: BillyK, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I can guarantee that I WILL get foot cramps at night if I change to shoes with a different heel height even sandal for a few hours. The change can be tiny - It will still cause me to cramp.

Comment from: lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

A year ago I had deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in my leg. Ever since, I get cramps at night in the same leg. I've tried bananas, tonic water, aspirin, and quinine sulfate. None of this has worked and the cramps are more painful than ever. Any suggestions please—I'm getting worn out from lack of sleep.

Comment from: Tomas, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I have suffered from leg cramps for quite sometime now although I take vitamins such as E, D, calcium, magnesium, etc. These cramps have gone from mild to severe. Recently I went through a thyroidectomy and was on a very strict low iodine diet prior to radiation treatment. As a result I was suffering from cramps in my fingers, feet, ankles, and hands. One night I had a cramp so severe that I pass out. It was very bad, I ended up in the ER of a hospital. Now I am back to my regular diet and the cramps have not return. I hydrate myself and take Gatorade due the content of sodium and potassium of this beverage.

Comment from: jd, 65-74 Male Published: July 24

I have had severe cramps in my legs off and on for years, my dad also suffered from leg cramps. My guess is if you sweat a lot you are losing vital minerals etc. I play a lot of golf and my dad was a dairy farmer and also sweated, but he drank a lot of beer to no avail. When I sweat a lot, I started drinking Gatorade throughout the day and at times I'm totally cramp free. One other thing I've done is do not drink cokes or any sweet soft drinks at night, this is hard to do but you must try it because I can guarantee this will cause cramps in my body. Also ice cream at night is a killer for me, absolutely nothing sweet in the evening. Try the Gatorade if you sweat a lot and no sweets before bed or in the evening.

Comment from: Fulani47, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I am in my mid-40s. I get cramps almost every time that I have had a meal that includes specifically salmon. After ingesting salmon, I get cramps within 2 hours. As time passes, these cramps are more painful.

Comment from: rosalyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I suffer cramps and bleeding under the skin on a daily basis. The cramps tear my stomach as they occur under both of my breasts. When I bend over they are in my feet and legs. Every night I get them under my jaw. If I am not doing anything I can sometimes swallow 2 to 3 quinate tablets before I get any relief. My doctor says to try and decrease the quinate to every second day for the bleeding, but my cramps are so severe that's impossible.

Published: February 22

My muscle cramps were so painful all I can do is scream, I cannot move for a few minutes, I have started tasking potassium, magnesium and zinc, plus drinking more water and so far so good. I also eat more bananas than I used to, I will do anything to stop these horrible cramps, I screamed once to let me die during one of my episodes, the pain is the worst pain I have ever had, even worse than labor pains.

Comment from: Bink, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I have cramp all through the day every day, in my feet, legs and hands. I only have to move my foot or leg in the simplest way and they cramp instantly. My G.P. has given me Quinine tablets, but it hasn't made any difference. I have been taking beta blockers for over 25 years and suspect that this is the cause.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: September 30

I've been experiencing severe muscle cramps in my legs and abdomen over the past several months, particularly at night. I'll rub one cramp out and before I can relax, it returns, again and again. This may be connected with a chocolate allergy. After 25 years of avoiding chocolate, I thought I could eat it again, but these cramps started about the same time I started eating it. I'm avoiding it again to see if that makes a difference. I'll definitely give up chocolate to get rid of the cramps!

Comment from: Fancy Nancy 610, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I play a lot of tennis and get cramps on a regular basis. Pickle juice is the only thing that works for me. I drink at least a cup or more and it cures my cramps in 5-10 minutes.

Comment from: Fanfaron, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Don't know if this will help you at night, but when I start getting toe cramps at night, I put on some lightweight socks after a couple of minutes, the cramps go away. Hope this will give you some relief, because I know you can't sleep when your toes cramp up! It may seem too simple to work, but please just give it a try!

Comment from: Debert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I had a severe Charley Horse in my calf about a week ago. It happened about 6am. It was so severe that it was almost impossible to push my heel to the ground. It felt like I strained or tore my muscle in trying to work the cramp out. I am still feeling the effects and am about 90% back to normal.

Comment from: JLH, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I am 34 and I am experiencing severe lower leg muscle cramps mostly during the day but some at night. When I stand or walk the muscle is so tight and crampy I can barely put weight on my legs. This has been going on now for about 3 months. Some days are worse than others but pretty constant soreness/tenderness even when they are not actually cramping. I have no insurance so getting this diagnosed and treated is not possible.

Comment from: paul, 75 or over Male Published: May 26

I am now in my late 70's and have been troubled with leg cramps for most of my life. While the stretching indicated in this article works about as well as anything I've found, it does not work when afflicted in a crowded environment such as a movie theater. I have found that if you just (very painfully) let your muscle curl your leg, and don't fight it, the cramp will dissipate rather quickly.

Comment from: spasms, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I have severe spasms from the thigh to the knee and I cannot walk or rub them out. They last for several minutes and sometimes move into my colon area. They hurt so bad I think my heart in going to stop. It is not like a cramp in the lower leg and my hands draw and my feet. Please help me know what to do.

Comment from: weazzer60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

For years I suffered from severe muscle cramps that would start in my feet and hands and go all up my legs and arms. Doctors said I was crazy. Finally my rheumatologist I started seeing told me I was vitamin D deficient. He put me on 2000 units / day and the cramps went away. Hope this helps my fellow sufferers.

Comment from: sheelah, 65-74 Female Published: March 18

Every time I seriously overeat on carbohydrates or desserts I end up with severe leg cramps about three hours after consuming the meal. Toes, calves, inner thighs are all affected but not neccesarily at the same time. This will go on, off and on, for an hour or more. I am a type 2 diabetic, but have been told that is not the reason. No one has ever heard of that happening. This has happened to me too many times for it not to be connected in some way.

Comment from: lady bug, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have pain in my toe next to big toe now the pain is in the ball of my foot. It is like a stabbing pain which keeps me off my feet as it hurts to walk. I also get severe cramps in same foot which sometimes radiate to my face and there doesn't seem to be any way to stop this. The cramps are usually at night and wake me from a sound sleep. Could this be neuropathy as I have type 2 diabetes. I take acto. I retain water and my ankles and feet swell also my legs feel like they are swollen as it is hard to bend them.

Comment from: Patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

They are killing me. Seem to be getting them more and more. Need to start drinking more water, etc. Notice when it is getting near time for my B12 injection I get them a lot.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

During dialysis, my aunt experiences severe cramping.

Comment from: jayne, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 12

My father 70 years old, just started undergoing dialysis for the 3rd time, found that he has muscle cramps during the process. He is also a hypertension patient.

Comment from: deputy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Try "leg cramps" over the counter medicine with quinine. It takes about 15 minutes and tonic water during day time. I've had leg, foot, arch cramps so bad in both limbs at a time for 40 years.

Comment from: Tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am in my 80s and have a history of cramps, from hands to toes but never as bad as of late. Having open heart surgery I have been prescribed Statins. A recent stay in hospital saw me without any form of leg cramps, on returning home and back on the Statins I spent one night literally screaming in agony, with not one hour between attacks. The following night and thereafter I did not take the medication and have not had a single attack nor have I had one since. I suggest anybody medication check the side effects and act accordingly.

Comment from: Dixie, 65-74 Female Published: July 24

I've always had trouble with foot cramps and leg cramps, but they have grown worse this past year. I am nearly 70 years of age and for the past year I have been working at a job where I am required to be on my feet nearly seven hours each night (5 days a week). My potassium level is normal. I do take 10 mg of Simvastatin for cholesterol. The Doctor does not seem to know what causes them. I suspect it is the job and muscle fatigue.

Comment from: Frizzlehead, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have had resting muscle cramps in my feet and legs since I was a teenager. It has gotten worse with age (I am now 62). As others have pointed out, the ones you get on the insides of the thighs are brutally painful. I have found the cause(s) include dehydration, exhaustion, and prolonged standing on concrete. I use lots of Bengay or similar rubs, take a vitamin D supplement, and pay attention to my fluid intake. I now go longer between clusters of cramping episodes, but a recent fast and furious 2,600 mile round trip driving adventure has me cramping from fingers to toes.

Comment from: Bsal, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I play soccer and have muscle cramps in the middle of the game. I drink plenty of water an hour before the game and warm up too. Still, my muscle cramp never cease. It happens almost all the time if I play the full game. The same happens when I swim.

Comment from: judy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 09

I've had leg cramps since age 25, with it most severe in my inner thighs. Walking is the only thing I can do until the spasms subside. After sitting with my legs crossed or using my thigh muscles to get up from sitting on a low surface, will immediately cause a cramp that is so painful and remains sore for week that I have stopped activities that I've always enjoyed with my family.

Comment from: vdeish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

A lot of time if I just move wrong I will get a muscle cramp. Sometimes it can be in the upper leg, side, or anywhere there is a muscle. Not sure what is causing this. I use to have them when I was younger, but then for many years did not have them. Now, at age 58, I am starting to get them again. They are very painful.

Comment from: sharjer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

My cramps are usually in my thigh and they are so painful that I feel like passing out. I get clammy, but really hot also.

Comment from: bev, 65-74 Female Published: March 24

I have leg cramps often at night, I drink a cup of Tonic water every other day and I found that it helps.

Comment from: GAYLE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

When in bed, if I move a certain way I will get a sudden painful cramp in my upper leg, not in the calf. It feels like someone is pulling the muscle with their hand.

Comment from: grannyof9, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I have been taking Lipitor for high cholesterol. I usually have the cramps at night, but not always.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter