Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Prevention

What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: judy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I am 82 and have suffered with nocturnal leg, foot and ankle cramps for about 5 years. Sometimes they were excruciating. I tried everything that I read about to no avail. Then I discovered what works for me and hopefully for other sufferers; exercise. To be specific (and you should probably work into these gradually) warm up with the knee-to-chest raise, first one leg, then the other, then both knees at the same time. Start with 10 and work up to 30. Then do the pelvic tilt, tightening your butt muscles, then do individual leg lifts, working up to 30 on each leg, then do half sit-ups, working up to at least 20. During the day, while sitting, bring your toes up and then point them down several times in a row. I hope this works for you as well as it has for me.

Comment from: Betty B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I ate a couple of spoonsful of yellow mustard and the muscle cramp went away almost immediately.

Comment from: Codge, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 11

The only real cure for muscle cramps is quinine. However over a long period it can cause tiredness. Magnesium works ok but only if you have normal kidney function. If you are taking statins for high cholesterol they may cause cramps. Sometimes they are so bad you bleed into your muscles. The cramps are not related to the dose of statins. Once you get a cramp from statins they are constant and debilitating. This is from personal experience over 20 years. I am a medical scientist.

Comment from: WRay, Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I play a lot of basketball, so believe dehydration a big factor for muscle cramps. But extreme leg cramps at night that are close to torture techniques had me reaching for dill pickle juice, which works in about 10 seconds. For similar results without having to drag yourself to the refrigerator, staggering like a zombie, keep water and a shaker of salt at bedside, as sodium depletion is one of the main culprits. But for lasting results, take magnesium and a banana daily.

Comment from: PrissyPaw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I used Cramp-Z leg cramp relief. It's 100% Natural. Just spray on the cramp and rub in. Cramp is gone! I keep a bottle of it by bed and one at my desk at work. It's amazing how fast it works! No color and No odor! After it dries it does have a very little sticky residue to it. But it's not a nasty sticky. It doesn't cost a lot either. Hope this advice helps. I know what you are going through!

Comment from: great woman, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I used to use just water for relieving muscle cramps. I usually touch water and apply on the affected area.

Comment from: Sudakar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

Apply few drops of honey underneath your tongue. The cramps will be gone in few seconds.

Comment from: Oma, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 23

I drink tonic water every night to help prevent my leg cramps. It works wonders for me. The quinine in it is what does the trick for me.

Comment from: Mejia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I started getting charley horses, and I was found to be deficient in calcium because I hate to drink milk. Usually if I drink 1 glass of milk, 1 cup yogurt or a banana, it will fix the problem for me. When I'm in pain I don't mind the milk so much; rather relieved that it works for muscle cramps!

Comment from: hzleeyes, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Each night before retiring I take a sip of pickle juice or eat a slice of pickle and so far (I month) I have not had any severe leg cramps.

Comment from: sker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Tonic water. Two or three sips and muscle cramps go away within one minute for me. (It has quinine). I keep a bottle by my bed.

Comment from: MdmAdams, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I must agree with the yellow mustard remedy as it works for my leg muscle cramps, although, I do use (this may sound awful) dill pickle juice as an alternative when I burn out on mustard.

Comment from: driver don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

The best quick fixes for muscle cramps are, a shot of vinegar, a spoonful of yellow mustard, and an antacid tablet. I have used vinegar since 1953 when a doctor told my father about it. He didn"t know why it works, but it does.

Comment from: Bob Joy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have tried many things that helped ease muscle cramps. By far the most effective has been krill oil. Plus, krill oil has many other benefits.

Comment from: Shari, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

When a leg or a foot cramp starts, a teaspoon of yellow mustard takes it away. I am not sure why, but I read it in a local paper and decided to give it a try. I was actually surprised when it really did work.

Comment from: MaryD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

Always having the tendency to cramps in my toes since childhood, it was a surprise when in my 60's I started having extremely painful charley horses in one or both legs. After four weeks of being awakened in the night and home remedies that didn't work I called the doctor. She said to drink tonic water, with juice if I liked and the quinine would take care of the cramps. In three days they were gone for good, until 7 years later when on chemotherapy I started to have toe and calf, cramps that don't seem to respond to the tonic water!

Comment from: Nursemate2430, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I began having leg cramps when I started taking metformin. On occasion I have cramps in my hands. I now keep a pack of yellow mustard in my purse at all times, it works immediately. All my blood tests are normal. This is a great and inexpensive way to treat the cramps.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 22

I eat 1/4 teaspoon of Epsom salt daily to prevent muscle cramps.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have experienced leg cramps, cramps in my toes and now I'm experiencing cramps in both my ankles. A few years ago my doctor told me the cramps were caused from wearing high heel shoes and sitting in my car while driving more than 4+ hours daily. Now that I'm no longer spending the time driving and wear mostly flat heeled shoes, I'm experiencing cramps in my ankles along with the occasional leg/toes cramping. I might mention that my cramps don't always happen while sleeping nor at night. They can be so painful that walking is difficult. I've been using "Leg Cramps with Quinine." Hope this helps. I now might also try the mustard as well.

Comment from: Elena Mraz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Use mustard to massage with. It helps.

Comment from: Anonymous13, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have found that licking a little of regular yellow mustard off a spoon helps cramps go away almost immediately. I am not sure why but it was advised to me by someone and it really does work. :)

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 02

When I have a leg cramp, mostly in the calf, I have a salt cellar of potassium chloride or salt substitute found at the grocery store. I lick the back of my hand, sprinkle a small amount of the potassium salt on my hand, and lick it off. The cramp disappears immediately. It may not work for everyone, but try it.

Comment from: Happy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I began calf cramps 10 years ago. Computer use involved lots of sitting, hours at a stretch. I learned to sit up and press my heel down to end the cramp. Long hours of teaching, long car trips, and frequent air travel set off thigh cramps when rising from sleep. Using a knee brace helps. Sit in a chair with feet up, extended. Also, I place pieces of ordinary soap at the foot of the bed to prevent night cramps. I tie a piece of soap on my calf at bedtime. I find it best to walk up and down. It's agonizing pain, but the cramping stops.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter