Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements

Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Tommi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I drink pickle juice. I guess it's the sodium in it that relieves the muscle cramp within a minute or two.

Comment from: chola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I use magnesium drops to relieve muscle cramps.

Comment from: furry spider, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I take magnesium tablets, 1 a day. I no longer have any muscle cramps at all. What a miracle after having them for the past five years!

Comment from: Califkid, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 21

When I get a muscle cramp sometimes very painful, I reach in my pocket if I have some GNC cinnamon capsules on me and take one and the pain goes away in about 10 minutes or less. I have not tried other brands, but GNC cinnamon capsules work.

Comment from: Cara J., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 27

Approximately 4 nights out of 7, I get excruciating pain from leg cramps. A nursing aide advised me to take a tablespoon of mustard to make them go away. From that time until now, I use that method and it has never failed to stop the pain within minutes. I don't know why, but it works for me. I use honey-mustard now, and spread a tablespoon of it on a slice of bread, and the pain rapidly goes away.

Comment from: Pete, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I have just been hiking up and down a mountain for 4 hours. On driving home I had excruciating inner thigh cramps. I had a bar of Kendal mint cake and it has gone, I don't know why because it is just glucose.

Comment from: lisburn lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have been having muscle cramps for years. Recently it got worse in my back, my thigh, my calf, my feet, toes, etc. I was on quinine tablets from the doctor which eased them, but did not take away the cramps, but better. Then he called them in, because it can cause cancer so I am back where I started. I was recently hospitalized first time ever for back spasm, it was awful. It restricts me from going to lots of places as I am terrified of getting them. My leg gets so bad I can't walk for a couple days. I eat bananas and drink soda, water, etc.

Comment from: cliffo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I and several friends believe that quinine is the answer to cramps in general. Take a glass of tonic water containing quinine (not quinine flavor, label must say 'contains quinine') once a day. There is no waiting period, it works from day one. It has a nasty taste. But much better than cramps.

Comment from: Donna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I get terrible thigh muscle cramps. I have increased my potassium by eating a banana every day. I take magnesium tablets every night. I drink diet tonic water because it contains natural quinine. When I get a cramp in my thigh I reach for a tablespoon and the yellow mustard. If you can swallow 2 or 3 tablespoons of yellow mustard, then wash it down with diet tonic water, the cramp goes away within a minute or two. I don't know why but it works.

Comment from: Dolly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Quinine sulfate taken nightly is the only solution that has been successful for the past 30 years in order to prevent cramps in legs, feet, toes, and hands. It used to be for sale over the counter such as Q-Vel. Then for many years, it was available by prescription only. However, it has been removed from the American market altogether and I don't understand why. Potassium, calcium, water intake, vitamin supplements... all helpful, but do not prevent nor eliminate painful cramping, only quinine tablets.

Comment from: FanLarm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had cramps inside my thigh. Screaming! I drank 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water and it stopped! I don"t know why, but, after years of suffering with periodic calf, thigh, foot, etc. cramps, I will keep a bottle next to my bed!

Comment from: Mathilda, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have gotten cramps in my calves so bad that I wake up screaming. I spoke to several health professionals and I am one myself. I started drinking more water and taking a magnesium supplement, I have no more cramps.

Comment from: TomCat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I would be sitting in front of the TV with my feet propped up and my toes would just tie into knots. Legs, calves and especially groin muscles would be in terrible pain. After gallons of water potassium and magnesium did not work I went to the doctor. All tests came back ok. They told me calcium works quickly. In a couple of days 80% is gone. I have a full range of movement in my back again. I still have some cramps, but not nearly as bad. I am 63 years young. A little extra vitamin A and K help it to absorb 600 mill calcium twice a day.

Comment from: Freddy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I suffered with thigh cramps for 11 years. I tried various supplements and got some relief but last year really concentrated on diet. I found 100 percent relief when I cut out bread. I can still eat pastry, scones etc., so possibly some connection with yeast. I don't need supplements now.

Comment from: CHAZMAN, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 07

If a statin is one of your daily medications, you could minimize the occurrence of leg cramping by taking the supplement CO Q10. A dosage of 200 – 300 mg after a meal has helped me and my wife alleviate a recurring problem.

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

Since I have increased my physical activity, I started having rather severe leg cramps at night, usually the sartorius or adductor muscles of the inner thigh of either leg. I have found that a Cal-Mag citrate powder dissolved in water relieves the symptoms very quickly. I plan to also include a pill supplement with calcium-magnesium-potasium.

Comment from: Alms, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I've suffered from nightly muscle cramps for years in my toes, ankles, calves, and thighs. I've started taking magnesium daily, and now the cramping has subsided. Hooray!! I slept better the very next night after I began taking magnesium.

Comment from: PharmacistJohn, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 23

As an 81 yr old pharmacist I suggest that patients who have leg cramps monitor their intake of Phosphorus as high blood levels appear to be a causative factor. In the 50's prenatal vitamin changed to non-phosphorus. SlimFast has 50% of daily req. in each meal & if you consume over 2 with your other intake YOU may incur a high blood lever. I contacted them as I perceived many physicians would not understand what was occurring and they replied we state use only two a day. I mentioned to other medical persons and they were un-concerned TILL the NEXT TIME

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter