Muscle cramps are involuntarily and forcibly contracted muscles that do not relax. Extremely common, any muscles that have voluntary control, including some organs, are subject to cramp. Since there is such variety in the types of muscle cramps that can occur, many causes and preventative medications are known. Stretching is the most common way to stop or prevent most muscle cramps. Read more: Muscle Cramps Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Dehydration: Causes, Symptoms & Tips to Stay Hydrated
Do you know the signs of dehydration? Dehydration can cause medical complications. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and...
Fibromyalgia Treatments and Tips to Ease Pain and Other Symptoms
What is fibromyalgia? Learn about fibromyalgia symptoms such as trigger points (also called tender points), learn what causes...
Muscle Cramps (Charley Horse) and Muscle Spasm Remedies
What causes muscle spasms and cramps (charley horse)? What is the differences between muscle spasms and cramps? Learn about...
Picture of Hamstring Muscle
The prominent tendons at the back of the knee. See a picture of Hamstring Muscle and learn more about the health topic....
Related Disease Conditions
Parkinson's Disease (Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Stages, Treatment)
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Muscle spasms are involuntary muscle contractions that come on suddenly and are usually quite painful. Dehydration, doing...
Hypothyroidism (Symptoms, Diet, Natural and Medical Treatments, Tests)
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (Symptoms, Diet, Treatments, Pregnancy)
Hashimoto's thyroiditis or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, is an autoimmune disorder causing inflammation of the thyroid gland....
Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatments)
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Restless Leg Syndrome (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medications, Home Remedies)
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Low Potassium (Hypokalemia)
Potassium is an essential electrolyte necessary for cell function. Low potassium (hypokalemia) may be caused by diarrhea,...
Hamstring injuries may range from minor strains to major ruptures. A hamstring injury causes spasm, tightness, and tenderness....
The shoulder is the most often dislocated joint in the body due to its mobility. Dislocation occurs when the head of the humerus...
Intermittent claudication, or pain and cramping in the lower leg is caused by inadequate blood flow to the leg muscles. This lack...
MS (Multiple Sclerosis) vs. ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) Differences and Similarities
ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's disease) and MS (multiple sclerosis) are both diseases of the nervous system...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with...
Heat exhaustion is a milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and...
Cholera is an infectious disease characterized by intense vomiting and profuse watery diarrhea and that rapidly lease to...
Shin splints result from inflammation from injury to the tendon and adjacent tissues in the front of the outer leg. Shin splints...
Stiff-Person syndrome is a neurological disorder associated with features of an autoimmune disease. Signs and symptoms of...
In hypoparathyroidism, the parathyroid gland does not produce enough parathyroid hormone. Causes of hypoparathyroidism include...
Pain Management: Musculoskeletal Pain
Natural menopause is the permanent ending of menstruation that is not brought on by any type of medical treatment. For women...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- alprazolam (Xanax, Xanax XR, Niravam) Anti-Anxiety Drug
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) Dietary Supplement
- methocarbamol (Robaxin, Robaxin-750)
- baclofen (Gablofen, Lioresal)
- orphenadrine (Norflex)
- orphenadrine - injection, Norflex
- Baclofen vs. Flexeril (Side Effects and Interactions)
- calcitriol (Rocaltrol)
- licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra, Alcacuz, Sweet Root, Gan Zao, and many others)
- onabotulinumtoxinA, Botox, Botox Cosmetic
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Battling Muscle Cramps?
- Sky-High Temperatures Inside 'Bounce Houses'
- 'Heat Dome' Not Budging Until Week's End
- 'Heat Dome' Heats Up United States
- Keep Safe When Temperatures Soar
- Health Tip: What's Behind Muscle Cramps?
- Health Tip: Why Muscles Cramp
- Overuse Injuries More Common in High School Females
- Health Tip: Avoiding Leg Cramps
- Nighttime Leg Cramps Peak in Summer, Study Says
- Health Tip: Strained Hamstring?
- Avoid the Fall Sports Injury Trap
- Water: Too Much of a Good Thing Can Be Deadly for Athletes
- Health Tip: Easing Muscle Soreness
- Cholesterol Drugs Linked to Muscle, Joint Problems: Study
- Health Tip: Ease the Pain of Muscle Cramps
- Topical Products for Muscle, Joint Pain May Cause Burns: FDA
- NFL Docs Urge More Caution With Key Pain Med
- Health Tip: Heed the Warning Signs of Heat Exhaustion
- Massage Right After Muscle Injury May Boost Healing
- It's Not So Much the Heat, It's the Lack of Power
- Maintain Heart Health During Summer
- Health Tip: Warm Up Before You Exercise
- Health Tip: What's Causing My Muscle Cramps?
- College Athletes in Low-Contact Sports Have More Overuse Injuries
- Health Tip: At Risk for Muscle Cramps
- Ice Baths for Sore Muscles Can Work
- Gleevec Approval Widened to Include Rare Cancer
- Gleevec Gets High Marks for Leukemia Treatment
- Health Tip: Dealing With Muscle Cramps
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter